Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neat. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I don't mean a recreation of chapter 7 or anything, I mean Rice and Salt-like as in wiping out almost all of Europe (and European America) so the uncivs can colonize it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

You need to have pretty high amounts of revanchism to get fascists riled up. If you've got all your cores in your control, you won't see many fascists.

Ah, so I guess I need to throw a few wars like a rigged boxing match, then, eh? Thanks for the answer!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope he updates to Heart of Darkness.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Hey Zearoth, does A Srb Divided have any music changes? Because you really do need new menu music.

Argh, apparently you can't extend or replace the \music folder in a mod, you need to overwrite the main directory. Might add this as an optional download, I guess?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Hey Zearoth, does A Srb Divided have any music changes? Because you really do need new menu music.

Singer's weird accent just kills this sublime classic melody. You can't sing "kill the Ustaše" when you can't pronounce š.

And no, the menu music can only be this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ysvb156f4

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Ah, so I guess I need to throw a few wars like a rigged boxing match, then, eh? Thanks for the answer!

You can also raise fascist support via events in NNM/PDM (such as the Freikorps, or fascist soup kitchens), NFs (it only makes people vote for fascists in presidential elections and not for determining the upper house composition, but NNM/PDM have events that cause fascist dictatorships to trigger if your fascist is in power long enough and has a certain % of the upper house), make lots of soldiers (as I recall soldiers go fascist easier than most other pops), keep lower class CON and MIL low while raising upper class CON and MIL (pissing off poor people often just triggers communist rebellions, rich classes will almost never become communist so pissing them off tends to create jacobins and fascists), and I think high war exhaustion may also affect it. Gamey solution is to just keep raising MIL until EVERYONE starts revolting, massacre all communist and jacobin rebels while ignoring fascist ones, and just let them take the capital.

I played a game as the Ethiopian empire, I had every single one of my cores owned and I had conquered much of the Middle East and Persia, and yet I still got fascists to take over.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

That just makes me more sad, another alt-history mod trapped in AHD :negative:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Is it possible to have a bunch of alt-history scenarios in one mod package and listed as separate starting dates? Or would that kill performance?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Is it possible to have a bunch of alt-history scenarios in one mod package and listed as separate starting dates? Or would that kill performance?
V2 is probably more inclined to this than anything else since you completely redefine history stuffs for each scenario.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
:psyduck: I cloned a man :psyduck:

Seriously though, I'm playing as Ethiopia and split my army, which of course had a general. This resulted in each army being led by a general with the same name and portrait, though with different stats. Anyone had this happen? I'm not complaining, the clone clearly inherited all the dominant genes, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
The name and portrait lists aren't all that big, sooner or later you'll run into a double.

He was probably in your list already, and got auto-assigned.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I don't mean a recreation of chapter 7 or anything, I mean Rice and Salt-like as in wiping out almost all of Europe (and European America) so the uncivs can colonize it.

So MiscMods for Eu3?

PBJ fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 30, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Bingo. Though it's more involved since there's plenty of POPery to be done.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A_Raving_Loon posted:

The name and portrait lists aren't all that big, sooner or later you'll run into a double.
Yeah, only 336 unique combinations. (For Ethiopia.)

A_Raving_Loon posted:

He was probably in your list already, and got auto-assigned.
This was right near the start of the game though, I had like 7 generals total. I guess he might have slipped by though, since there's only room for 6 on the military screen.

(I still like the idea that he's a clone better though, or possible a man who reproduces through binary fission.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is the game even long enough to really have such sweeping re-population and colonization? That's one thing I love about EU, it's huge time-frame. It's a time frame you can really build an empire, change the course of history, see the rise and fall of entire religions and peoples. V2 is rad but the time frame is so short you don't really have the ability to make these sweeping changes to the world. Which is why I kinda wished V2 was more of just an addon to EU. God I'd love it so much if they just made a single super good base EU game and then sold an expantion that adds middle-ages stuff. Not as detailed as CK2, but ok. Then an expansion that adds in victorian stuff. Not as detailed as v2, but still pretty good.

Basically I want to play a game that's a mix of civilizations history-spanning scope and paradox's focus on detail, history and realism. And isn't stepp wolf.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DrProsek posted:

You can also raise fascist support via events in NNM/PDM (such as the Freikorps, or fascist soup kitchens), NFs (it only makes people vote for fascists in presidential elections and not for determining the upper house composition, but NNM/PDM have events that cause fascist dictatorships to trigger if your fascist is in power long enough and has a certain % of the upper house), make lots of soldiers (as I recall soldiers go fascist easier than most other pops), keep lower class CON and MIL low while raising upper class CON and MIL (pissing off poor people often just triggers communist rebellions, rich classes will almost never become communist so pissing them off tends to create jacobins and fascists), and I think high war exhaustion may also affect it. Gamey solution is to just keep raising MIL until EVERYONE starts revolting, massacre all communist and jacobin rebels while ignoring fascist ones, and just let them take the capital.

I played a game as the Ethiopian empire, I had every single one of my cores owned and I had conquered much of the Middle East and Persia, and yet I still got fascists to take over.

Awesome, thanks a lot!

Unrelated, does anyone know if there's an effortpost I can find somewhere describing the significance behind all the flag changes based on government in V2? A lot of them are just stuff like a hammer and sickle replacing some existing part of the flag if they go communist, like Texas. But some of them aren't quite as obvious and have historical/cultural significance behind them. To name a few examples from the more obvious ones, Persia as a republic gets the Republic of Iran's flag, fascist CSA gets the Confederate battle flag, and so on. If someone on the Paradox forums or somewhere had a writeup of what all those mean, I'd really like to see it.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 1, 2013

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Baronjutter posted:

Is the game even long enough to really have such sweeping re-population and colonization? That's one thing I love about EU, it's huge time-frame. It's a time frame you can really build an empire, change the course of history, see the rise and fall of entire religions and peoples. V2 is rad but the time frame is so short you don't really have the ability to make these sweeping changes to the world. Which is why I kinda wished V2 was more of just an addon to EU. God I'd love it so much if they just made a single super good base EU game and then sold an expantion that adds middle-ages stuff. Not as detailed as CK2, but ok. Then an expansion that adds in victorian stuff. Not as detailed as v2, but still pretty good.

Basically I want to play a game that's a mix of civilizations history-spanning scope and paradox's focus on detail, history and realism. And isn't stepp wolf.

Eh, I completely disagree. The strength of Paradox games is that they have systems to model and evoke the era they deal with, which Civ must abstract heavily by necessity. CK2 deals with the medieval era very well in that the lines on the map are transient and unstable, but the gist of How Things Are Done is stagnant. You don't need a detailed social model because gently caress it, only the opinions of a tiny elite group of people even matter at all. EU is about the rise of nations and empires in a long era of sweeping and lasting geopolitical change because that's what happened in the time period. V2, however, is about the transformation of these nations and empires once they've developed - some might rise, some might decline, but the stage in general is already set.

Sure, the time period is short, but you can really feel the change happening. In 1836, the typical country is an absolute monarchy, liberalism is a dissenting minority, most people work in fields, democracy is a newfangled and subversive idea, and warfare still consists of people standing in a line and firing in unison. By the endgame, you have vast factory complexes churning out thousands of cars, radios, tanks and airplanes in a struggle between democracy, fascism and communism. Sure, the map might not be redrawn as radically, but I love the flavor where the winds of history are blowing harder than ever and you either ride them or fall over. I don't think any game that tried to cover both, say, the religious conflict of the Reformation and the ideological conflict of the Industrial Revolution with the same mechanics could quite evoke the feel of either.

(not that I don't love Civ, but really, there's a good reason why Pdox games don't try to copy its scale)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

I've come to the realization that the only way I'll ever get a game like that is if I made it myself.

I'm in the planning stages of Ancient Egypt. :smithicide:

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In my own opinion, the easiest way to create a fascist revolution is to purposely start a great war, then lose it by surrendering. It drives up fascist pops like crazy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja & Friends April 30th 2013 Edition

Download!
Checksum: XXFM

-Integrated with the latest version of NNM;
-Some map changes for reasons?
-Mysterious changes to Defines.lua;
-Spain will now lose its cores in Catalunya, Léon and Portugal after some time;
-Likewise, Vijayanagara will lose its cores on Bengal if they lose a war over it;
-Tepehuacu civil war fully implemented;
-The Romance of The Five Duchies should now facilitate the unification of France. Do pursue Louis le Beau;
-Added base industries to several countries in order to fix the economy;
-Serbia Strong added. To enjoy its benefits copy the "thecoronation_titletheme" from mod\TIAoSB&F\music to \Documents\Victoria II\A Srb\Music; (thanks to Wolfgang Pauli!) I was this close to adding "We Are the Serbs", but let's save that one for the HoI incarnation
-Minor tweaks & fixes;

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 1, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

In the Americas, you can cause some pretty major shifts in province cultures, since the population density is very low at the beginning of the game. Conquer a state early enough, put an Attract Immigrants National Focus on the state, and see your own pops drown out the natives. I'm sure it works better in my game because I've modded it so that any (E: Democratic) GP can get a boost to immigration, instead of just the US (playing NNM), but the trick did work even before I got the immigration boost. In South America, no GP gives a flying gently caress about you either, so you have a bit more breathing room while going on a conquering spree.

That said, I wish the Americas had gotten more love in terms of alternate history. such as an American conquest of Canada, how this would affect the issue of slavery, and the possibility of Mexico managing to stop the Americans and putting a stop to the idea of Manifest Destiny. Not to mention the kind of stuff that could happen if a South American GP sprung up. Brazil dominating it all, or the old Spanish colonies joining together as one, a counterweight to the Americans in the north? More interesting at least than what usually happens, which is Paraguay being kicked around a bit, and every state south of the Rio Grande going through every type of government available. I agree with Guildencrantz about things largely being set in stone, but for the Americas I think there should be a possibility for more radical change, due to the age of the states and the low population densities. I feel that better captures the fact that while Europe was redrawing states along ethnic lines, in the Americas states were redrawing ethnic lines.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 1, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ZearothK posted:

Download!

-Likewise, Vijayanagara will lose its cores on Bengal if they lose a war over it;
-The Romance of The Five Duchies should now facilitate the unification of France. Do pursue Louis le Beau;
-Serbia Strong added. To enjoy its benefits copy the "thecoronation_titletheme" from mod\TIAoSB&F\music to \Documents\Victoria II\A Srb\Music; (thanks to Wolfgang Pauli!) I was this close to adding "We Are the Serbs", but let's save that one for the HoI incarnation
-Minor tweaks & fixes;

Oh man, I was just looking for a nice alt-history mod for HoD to play with! I'll check this out and see how it goes.

("Louis le Beau." Heh.)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ZearothK posted:

Download!

-Minor tweaks & fixes;

I wish all changelogs were like this.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Should I use Prince and Thane or CK2+? Has anyone tried the new Elder Scrolls mod?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Playing the Srbja mod as Egypt (I was the one who, way back when the LP was still in CK1 conquered Egypt) and I'm getting multiple Cholera events per month - is this supposed to be a joke about Srbs living on a river or an actual game bug?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On V2 mods, I found this fairly small "quick fix" mod with a couple of good ideas:

* State-scope election events can be removed in favor of country-wide election events, so you don't get spammed by decisions as much. The downside is that you lose the election decision interface, so you need to memorize which parties support which policies you can switch to the Politics screen to check on your party stances even in the middle of a decision.

* State-scope RGO improvement events can be replaced by country-wide events, so you only get a single event for Tractors or Mechanized Mining for your entire nation.

* POPs are more likely to promote into Capitalists, a minimum number are guaranteed to stay Capis, and they can produce goods like Artisans so the very first Capis are never completely reliant on player investment.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Scrree posted:

Playing the Srbja mod as Egypt (I was the one who, way back when the LP was still in CK1 conquered Egypt) and I'm getting multiple Cholera events per month - is this supposed to be a joke about Srbs living on a river or an actual game bug?

I think Cholera chances go way down after you research Medicine.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Patter Song posted:

I think Cholera chances go way down after you research Medicine.

Yeah, this is in HoD by default. If you don't research medicine reasonably fast, you end up with negative population growth from all the various diseases and epidemics that'll hit. Especially true for smaller nations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PBJ posted:

In my own opinion, the easiest way to create a fascist revolution is to purposely start a great war, then lose it by surrendering. It drives up fascist pops like crazy.

Lance corporal discovers 1 simple secret solution to fascist revolution, find out why Reichstag hates him!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
So I've got a question.

I've got several provinces with Poland-lithuania's cores on them which means I can't ally them. How do I strip their cores from the provinces?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

uPen posted:

So I've got a question.

I've got several provinces with Poland-lithuania's cores on them which means I can't ally them. How do I strip their cores from the provinces?

Holy poo poo, how did that happen? And with an independent Krakow, no less!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PrinceRandom posted:

Should I use Prince and Thane or CK2+? Has anyone tried the new Elder Scrolls mod?

I think The Prince and The Thane is a more radical change than CK2+, adds provinces and stuff, and I think it makes slightly bigger mechanics changes but I've not played it enough to really say for sure. You'll probably have to play both to see which you prefer.

I'm playing EK 1.1 as I type this and it's a lot of fun just having the different map and being able to be a loving lich and all, but if you're not a TES fan it's probably one you want to wait a bit on, because it's still very unpolished and many features are either unimplemented or barebones.

For you and anyone else interested, two other mods I've tried recently that bear mentioning: Britannia 467 The Winter King, and Lux Invicta. The former is just the British Isles and the northmost coast of France but yeah you can be Arthur Pendragon or play as Saxon invaders or what have you. The latter is an insane reworking of vanilla which adds like 100 cultures and 150 religions and pretty much every power on the map starts out with just a few provinces so you can have a whale of a time conquering. Also the buildings are redone totally and instead of going up to 5 or 6 stages some go up to 21. More importantly I have a game there where I, Rix Cambo I of Kernow, am bringing the darkness of Angra Mainyu to the world.

The fires shall be extinguished, be they the fires of Zoroaster or of Sol Invcitus. :black101:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Are there any mods that have/allow the dissolution of the US into a bunch of smaller states for HoD? Vanilla and NNM only allow me to release Canada (in one province, no less) New England, and Cherokee.

Edit: I tried out Victoriana but every time I try to load it up I get an error reading:
File exception:
Exception in: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line: 662. Description: The system cannot find the file specified.

Any solutions?

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 1, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

I started painting North America for Plague Rat. I still need to change New York's color more so you can see Washington D.C.-as-Byzantium. It's also really hard to get nice-looking borders out of the pointy states. I haven't done jack to Mexico or Canada (that's what my homebrew Canada looks like). I'm thinking of emptying Mexico so that North America is more than just a race to British Columbia. Canada will mostly be a Quebec and St Lawrence River affair.

*e* ^^^^ NNM has a bunch of disunited state files and all the state flags, it just doesn't use them. I think there's a Disunited States mod, but I don't know if it's HoD compatible.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 1, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Just give northern Maine to New England from the start it's driving me crazy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mister Bates posted:

Holy poo poo, how did that happen? And with an independent Krakow, no less!

I got sick of Russia allying France so I wanted a border state between me and them so I forced them to release Poland-lithuania. Krakow has just been chilling out all game, nobody wants to annex them for some reason.

e: And I was going to declare war on Austria to get their Austrian controlled cores for them but they decided to go and do it themselves. Beating up the Austrians just like their dad :3:

uPen fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 1, 2013

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

mmtt posted:

Ship gets boater in the release trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab9e764D7cI

Has anyone played this yet? It looks great, but I can't find anyone talking much about it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rasmussen posted:

Has anyone played this yet? It looks great, but I can't find anyone talking much about it.

Gameplay is very slow and turns take a lot longer to process than they should. Other than that it's pretty similar to gratuitous tank battles.

I'm not sure if it's worth $10 but ymmv.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Is NNM for HoD worth a shot? How significant are the changes to Great Wars? The other things in the changelog all sound pretty good (mostly involved with some political fuckery to make communism more popular, some events regarded weird colonisation etc), so I'm starting to think of giving it a try.

On a related note, is there a mod-management style for Vicky 2 in the same way as CK2 or EU3? Or will I have to backup my game and copy all the mod files over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just give northern Maine to New England from the start it's driving me crazy.

Oh, thank God. I thought I was the only one.

• Locked thread