Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Smitty's getting in deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I see Achewood posted with some frequency like it's supposed to be funny but it's never made me laugh so I dunno.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mr. Peepers posted:

I see Achewood posted with some frequency like it's supposed to be funny but it's never made me laugh so I dunno.

You know how when you were a kid and you tried coffee or beer and went "Blegghh!" and "Why do people like this???" and then after you've had it several times you suddenly start noticing how much you enjoy it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Peepers posted:

There's something wrong with you, sorry.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm with you here. I just don't get it most of the time. It's kind of weird, but not actually funny to me.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

A large part of what makes Achewood work is the depth of the characters and the hilarity of their interactions. There are relatively few strips that stand on their own unless you are familiar with the characters. Once you do get to know them (and, of course, once you get far enough into the strip that the author has developed them), the Achewood world has a feeling of being so much bigger than what we get to see through the strip. In that last sense it's very similar to GK.

edit: I should add the disclaimer that I too constantly saw Achewood strips and references posted here and had no idea why anyone gave a drat about it until I finally sat down and started reading from the beginning. Once I made it through the first story arc (Teodor's party) I was hooked. It takes a while to get into it, but it's one of the few things on the Internet that's worth spending that much time to become familiar with.

You know how people sometimes come into this thread saying "I read the first chapter of GK and didn't get it, the art was weird and the story seemed like a Harry Potter knockoff"? That's what you guys look like when you say you don't "get" Achewood. :colbert:

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 1, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Achewood is one of those comics where it's not nearly as funny just seeing a single strip or panel without context. Half the humor of, say, this is completely lost if you don't know the history of these characters.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh my goodness

This is the best page since The Best Page of Gunnerkrigg Court :allears:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Andrew, you fool! You have no idea the forces you've set in motion.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
This page just fills me with so much glee :3:

The floating octopus is just so wondrous

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Desperate Character posted:

This page just fills me with so much glee :3:

The floating octopus is just so wondrous
I think I'm going to break my 13 year avatar-free spree for one of that cute little guy. It's the best.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Ahahahaha oh my god, the bear, the bear. It's the best day of his life!

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Groo! :3:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Forest fairies have classes? :confused:

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Fecha posted:

They have tests to become human, so why not classes?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The two horse panels at the end look like they're avatar-sized already.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Fecha posted:

Well, they are still British.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Smitty's stuck in a neverending circle of helping! :ohdear:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
No no octopus, you belong in the water!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjQr3lRACPI&t=52s

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

FriggenJ posted:

I think I'm going to break my 13 year avatar-free spree for one of that cute little guy. It's the best.

I'd take an avatar of whichever octopus panel you don't want.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Oh I'm so totally getting an animated gif avatar of the horse cheering up. Oh my goodness that's the greatest thing ever.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Penguissimo posted:

A large part of what makes Achewood work is the depth of the characters and the hilarity of their interactions. There are relatively few strips that stand on their own unless you are familiar with the characters. Once you do get to know them (and, of course, once you get far enough into the strip that the author has developed them), the Achewood world has a feeling of being so much bigger than what we get to see through the strip. In that last sense it's very similar to GK.

edit: I should add the disclaimer that I too constantly saw Achewood strips and references posted here and had no idea why anyone gave a drat about it until I finally sat down and started reading from the beginning. Once I made it through the first story arc (Teodor's party) I was hooked. It takes a while to get into it, but it's one of the few things on the Internet that's worth spending that much time to become familiar with.

You know how people sometimes come into this thread saying "I read the first chapter of GK and didn't get it, the art was weird and the story seemed like a Harry Potter knockoff"? That's what you guys look like when you say you don't "get" Achewood. :colbert:

Well maybe I'll just try reading Achewood from the beginning then, what do you think about that. :colbert:

On topic: this page is amazing.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Penguissimo posted:

A large part of what makes Achewood work is the depth of the characters and the hilarity of their interactions. There are relatively few strips that stand on their own unless you are familiar with the characters.
Speaking for myself, I really have read Achewood from beginning to end, and gotten familiar with the characters, and still find it leaves me utterly cold. Am I allowed to not like it?

But enough negativity. Gunnerkrigg Court is an unequivocally good comic, and so is Groo. :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rei_ posted:

Oh I'm so totally getting an animated gif avatar of the horse cheering up. Oh my goodness that's the greatest thing ever.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
A sad horse!

The saddest- oh, ok never mind.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Peepers posted:

Well maybe I'll just try reading Achewood from the beginning then, what do you think about that. :colbert:

On topic: this page is amazing.

It'll be one of the best decisions you'll make in your entire life.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
This might be the best diplomatic mission in fictional history.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

Now you're talking! And if you end up not liking it anyway...

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Speaking for myself, I really have read Achewood from beginning to end, and gotten familiar with the characters, and still find it leaves me utterly cold. Am I allowed to not like it?

But enough negativity. Gunnerkrigg Court is an unequivocally good comic, and so is Groo. :allears:

Respect. And thanks for the Groo tip-off...I know what I'll be looking up this weekend!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

So I tried making an avatar of the floating octopus.

The ocean? So that's what I been doing wrong!

I feel like it came out any blurry. Any thoughts?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Wind God Sety posted:

So I tried making an avatar of the floating octopus.

The ocean? So that's what I been doing wrong!

I feel like it came out any blurry. Any thoughts?

A little blurry because it has been zoomed/enlarged. Here is one at the original resolution:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Oneiros posted:

A little blurry because it has been zoomed/enlarged. Here is one at the original resolution:

Ah, gotcha. Much obliged!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The best page.

Oh gosh, everything's just so wonderful in this update. Every single panel. I lost it at the bear first, then the octopus, and the horse... the cheeriest horse!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

I took a slightly different approach, but mine is a little over the size limit and I can never seem to correctly scale these things down.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

I took a slightly different approach, but mine is a little over the size limit and I can never seem to correctly scale these things down.

This should fit under the limit.

<edit>
Better quality:

</edit>

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 1, 2013

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Got some avs for ya.

Feel free to flip/edit/crop/whatever.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Got some avs for ya.

Feel free to flip/edit/crop/whatever.

I'm taking this bear. Groo!

Now Smitty knows what it is like to be a hard worker. Wally is laughing at you right now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zenzirouj posted:

Text: Glad he didn't use the "Why the long face" gag.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Bongo Bill posted:

Text: Glad he didn't use the "Why the long face" gag.

Ah, this is perfect! I'll grab a prepaid visa on the way home tomorrow since SA doesn't take Paypal I guess? Thank you all so much!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Oh god, Tom, you are such a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Wow, really, this is the update for Friday? Tom, you're a dick.