Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So does this game have any sort of hidden mechanics I should be aware off? I read the OP, good advice on the pawn dialogue and camera.

So far I'm not impressed, seems kinda dull, save system is pure drizzling rear end to, but I just made it to Gran Soren my opinion may change dramatically.

I ask about the mechanics because the in-game digital manual is pretty bad, like for example, is there a way to quick select items? Like when I refill my lantern oil it seems I need to put it away to get it to turn on again, I assume there's also a way to quick heal with items and stuff but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Alteisen posted:

So does this game have any sort of hidden mechanics I should be aware off? I read the OP, good advice on the pawn dialogue and camera.

So far I'm not impressed, seems kinda dull, save system is pure drizzling rear end to, but I just made it to Gran Soren my opinion may change dramatically.

I ask about the mechanics because the in-game digital manual is pretty bad, like for example, is there a way to quick select items? Like when I refill my lantern oil it seems I need to put it away to get it to turn on again, I assume there's also a way to quick heal with items and stuff but for the life of me I can't figure out what to do.

Save system is fine, start>save>save and continue. You only need to sleep at the inn to advance time and / or update your pawn on the servers.

You shouldn't need to put your lantern away to re-light it, it lights itself as soon as you fill it. Select your lantern, select "add oil" or "fill" or whatever. If it isn't lighting, you might be wet. Use a clean cloth to dry yourself (or put it away and get it out again).

You can't quick select anything, and it's one of the game's biggest faults.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

titties posted:

Save system is fine, start>save>save and continue. You only need to sleep at the inn to advance time and / or update your pawn on the servers.
Start > Select (which does save and continue -- no need to enter save menu). Select will do nothing if you're not allowed to save presently (ie, during combat).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Millions posted:

Samurai Sanders you never posted your Bowie pawn from vanilla DD :colbert:
Sorry, I could never get him just right so I abandoned the idea. My current pawn looks a little bit like 80s Storm (and a sorceress), but I need to get that unlimited use editing thing to fix her up better that way. Or I might go for something completely different, I haven't decided.

For reference:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do note that start -> select is a manual save. Sleeping at an inn or touching a rift stone is a checkpoint save, and I think it overwrites your manual save as well but it's been awhile since I tested that. If you ever want to roll back to a check point, just go to start -> save -> return to last checkpoint. This is useful if you don't like how a quest ended up. If you goofed up and rolled back to a checkpoint you didn't want, then just immediately exit the game and load game and it should take you to your last manual save.

Don't do the lantern swap trick to relight. Buy clean clothes from the item shop in Gran Soren and carry like 10 of them. Use them if you get doused.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Rascyc posted:

Do note that start -> select is a manual save. Sleeping at an inn or touching a rift stone is a checkpoint save, and I think it overwrites your manual save as well but it's been awhile since I tested that. If you ever want to roll back to a check point, just go to start -> save -> return to last checkpoint. This is useful if you don't like how a quest ended up. If you goofed up and rolled back to a checkpoint you didn't want, then just immediately exit the game and load game and it should take you to your last manual save.

Don't do the lantern swap trick to relight. Buy clean clothes from the item shop in Gran Soren and carry like 10 of them. Use them if you get doused.

And for the love of god don't give Pawns any Panacea or any clean cloths when adventuring around water: they'll get soaked and immediately waste all of them standing in one place.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I took care of Daimon's second form by spamming ninefold bolt on his chest face while munching Demon's Periapts four at a time for max magic boost. If he was supposed to drop more ingredients/loot after dying I couldn't find where the body was so I gave up and just grabbed the stuff out of the chests. It seems like this is the best way to farm for guaranteed level 3 stuff too, ranger with blast arrows is probably quicker but there was less of an investment with magick archer so I went with that.

I've got Death on the ropes too but he keeps running away like a pussy. My main pawn even survived the last two encounters with him.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
My strategy as a Magick Archer is to lure Daimon over towards the entrance, then proceed to spam Ricochet shot and watch him get stunlocked to death. I could probably do it faster if I had more Liquid Vim and used the magic buffing items. Oh well~

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I took care of Daimon's second form by spamming ninefold bolt on his chest face while munching Demon's Periapts four at a time for max magic boost. If he was supposed to drop more ingredients/loot after dying I couldn't find where the body was so I gave up and just grabbed the stuff out of the chests. It seems like this is the best way to farm for guaranteed level 3 stuff too, ranger with blast arrows is probably quicker but there was less of an investment with magick archer so I went with that.

I've got Death on the ropes too but he keeps running away like a pussy. My main pawn even survived the last two encounters with him.

Using Periapts multiple times gives you a bigger bonus? That doesn't sound right.

Anyway, I've got some more information on to give on the Purification process. The items are predetermined based on some invisible factor that also includes Vocations of course, but after boss rushing then resting, I notice that my items are different again, they seem to randomize the determined orders everytime you do something, perhaps resting for a period of time or something. But keep in mind, resting on Bitterblack doesn't affect the passage of time, it's just a full heal and chance to get Rift Crystals. Time only advances while resting in Gransys.

So if you're godsbaning at Olra to get some specific item, just run the dungeon again and come back. It might change everytime you come into that specific area after doing something important like killing a boss or just waiting a while.

So...ninefold arrow is the upgraded Fivefold shot of the Shortbow?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Millions posted:

Holy god drat, that's going in the OP. If anyone else has any good screenshots of their Arisen/Pawn that are based on any real people or fictional characters, post them! The showcase section of the OP has been pretty barren since the beginning of the thread.

Samurai Sanders you never posted your Bowie pawn from vanilla DD :colbert:

:V

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lunethex posted:

Using Periapts multiple times gives you a bigger bonus? That doesn't sound right.

I didn't know about it until I saw a Daimon farming video but it sure seemed to work well for me. You can stack up to four of them for a multiplicative damage increase. I went from not putting a scratch on him at all to mowing him down within 2 minutes, it will take longer to run all the way there than it will to finish the fight.

quote:

So...ninefold arrow is the upgraded Fivefold shot of the Shortbow?

Nope, the upgraded version of Sixfold Bolt (homing ice arrows) for magick bows.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I didn't know about it until I saw a Daimon farming video but it sure seemed to work well for me. You can stack up to four of them for a multiplicative damage increase. I went from not putting a scratch on him at all to mowing him down within 2 minutes, it will take longer to run all the way there than it will to finish the fight.

Nope, the upgraded version of Sixfold Bolt (homing ice arrows) for magick bows.

That just seems so outrageous :v:

Whenever you apply an affect in an RPG, you assume that's all you're going to get, how would anyone ever be able to come to the conclusion that multiple uses of a temp. attribute enhancement item stacked? I guess I'll have to go try that out real quick, but the stats never update with the stuff I use so I can never tell. Guess I'll try fighting Daimon and doing that.

Edit: You know what, you were right though. The boss dropped in 10 seconds when I used 4 periapts instead of just 1. With just daggers. :psyduck:

Wonder how faster one could kill Death now...

Capcom just loves putting so much in a game and never explaining it.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 1, 2013

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

So I noticed my support mage pawn kept jumping into combat and doing stupid poo poo overall. So I looked at her inclination and despite me clearing all of them and giving her 15 potions of Utilitarian and Medicant, she somehow made Scather as her secondary despite me literally never touching the D-Pad. :psyduck:

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, I really want to like warrior because hitting things with a giant sword seems like it ought to be great. But as hilarious as one shotting ogres can be, they just don't seem to have a single advantage over the other classes. I would gladly trade every single one of my skills for biting wind. That one skill has more utility, aoe, and dodging ability than the entire warrior skill set.

Which is too bad, because I really have to learn the enemy movesets with a warrior instead of with an archer when I just ran away and shot at everything. But the reward I get for correctly escape slashing through all a drake's one hit kill moves is much less damage than I could be doing as any other class. Even fighters can climb on things and do more damage with more safety using their skill stab.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah but you choose your class to have fun, right? There's no reason to switch to a less fun class if you like the one you're playing. To me balance in a game like this matters only insofar as you can reasonably tackle the content given appropriate preparation and skill.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah but you choose your class to have fun, right? There's no reason to switch to a less fun class if you like the one you're playing. To me balance in a game like this matters only insofar as you can reasonably tackle the content given appropriate preparation and skill.

The game offers SO many ways to break it that it's really a case of playing it how you see fit. If you want to just cruise through without any effort, just hire some pawns 10 levels above yourself.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't know what game people are playing where the Warrior isn't strong as hell. It's all about learning proper timing and executing a perfect Arc of Deliverance. It gets even better with Arc of Obliteration. With the right enchantment, hitting their head, I take out around 5 pips off a Garm in one blow. There's just something INSANELY satisfying about hitting monsters so hard that they fly off. Even big ones.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Spent the last few days back in this, and man, it feels good to be slinging spells again.

Question though: when I release pawns, the ratings/gift screen sometimes won't pop up. Are those Capcom pawns or is it a Dark Arisen/vanilla game compatibility issue thing?

Edit: My pawn, Ran, just game back with some sweet swag. Dragon's Dogma goons are the best goons...

Needs More Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 1, 2013

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know what game people are playing where the Warrior isn't strong as hell. It's all about learning proper timing and executing a perfect Arc of Deliverance. It gets even better with Arc of Obliteration. With the right enchantment, hitting their head, I take out around 5 pips off a Garm in one blow. There's just something INSANELY satisfying about hitting monsters so hard that they fly off. Even big ones.

I'm probably just not a very good warrior. For every sweet arc of deliverance I land, I kill about a hundred enemies with jumping light attack.

EDIT: VVV Corona slash is fine as far as it goes, but jump attacks can chase down fleeing enemies, get around blocks, knockdown flying enemies and hit weak points on bosses. The recovery on jumping is also a lot safer than the recovery on slash if you're fighting enemies with lunges or ranged attacks or high stagger resist.

Roguelike fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 1, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Roguelike posted:

I'm probably just not a very good warrior. For every sweet arc of deliverance I land, I kill about a hundred enemies with jumping light attack.

Try using Corona Slash, that's not a bad skill.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

So I noticed my support mage pawn kept jumping into combat and doing stupid poo poo overall. So I looked at her inclination and despite me clearing all of them and giving her 15 potions of Utilitarian and Medicant, she somehow made Scather as her secondary despite me literally never touching the D-Pad. :psyduck:

My pawns inclination randomly changed too, I almost never touch the D-pad either so there must just be something funky in the code somewhere. She did come back from someone (probably a goon, though I missed the GT) with a sweet hammer, a cursed trinket and piles of points so i had plenty of crystals to buy more pots to get her behavior back to Monster Murder Machine.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Going into that forest at night was a bad idea.

I do wish I had some sort of indicator of how much oil my lantern has, I've used every oil thingy I've gotten and it just takes it all.

PSN ID is AchyHippo if you wanna use my terrible warrior pawn, I am using the pawns of certain goons and they've been awesome so far.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

At this point, I wish D-pad commands wouldn't change a pawn's inclination, or they patched it so the only way to change pawn inclination would be the chair and potions.

Edit: Warrior really could use the 3 more skills to be another really outstanding vocation. :( For 130 levels now that's the class I've wanted to play, it's just every other one is so much better. I don't think they'd be overpowered if they could use six skills, just powerful.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 1, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

a kitten posted:

My pawns inclination randomly changed too, I almost never touch the D-pad either so there must just be something funky in the code somewhere.

I am relatively sure that pawns learn behavior from other pawns that they party with. I am the one teaching all your pawns to hoover up items, mine ore, and fill flasks with stuff you don't want.

I suspect that in addition to the Knowledge Chair, potions, and d-pad commands, some of the these things might help shift inclination:

The actions / combat of the Arisen (you)
The actions / combat of other Arisen
The actions / combat of other Arisen's main pawn

titties fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 1, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Going into that forest at night was a bad idea.

I do wish I had some sort of indicator of how much oil my lantern has, I've used every oil thingy I've gotten and it just takes it all.

It will tell you when it's half full when it gets there, just look at the tooltip in your inventory. It will flicker a bit before it goes out too. Always wait until its empty, or very close to it to refill, a vial of oil will completely fill it whether you've used a drop, or the whole thing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I thought I was such a cool guy, beating the big Beholder by the skin of my teeth at level 62. "Oh boy" thought I, "If I could beat a boss like that, there's no way that the dungeon after it will be that tough!"

Well. When I realized I was barely damaging the Banshee on the bridge at all, despite hitting it with its elemental weakness, I came to the conclusion that I might need to actually go do some Everfall stuff to get levels.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

At this point, I wish D-pad commands wouldn't change a pawn's inclination, or they patched it so the only way to change pawn inclination would be the chair and potions.

Edit: Warrior really could use the 3 more skills to be another really outstanding vocation. :( For 130 levels now that's the class I've wanted to play, it's just every other one is so much better. I don't think they'd be overpowered if they could use six skills, just powerful.

The second thing, completely, on Warriors. They are fun, but they are definitely, pound for pound, the 'weakest' class in terms of actual setup. Essentially, they can win(I've played the full game as one and my pawn always was one), but they need to work many many times harder than any other class. Okay-I think Fighters also have it rough in their ways, but essentially, if you have no ranged capability in this game, you are at a disadvantage. The awesome Arc abilities are very rare to pull off. Essentially, you need to get a knockdown of an enemy, get TO the enemy fast enough, and hope the thing charges before you get hit out of it. So it's a sorta 3 part ability to do the huge bunch of damage(hopefully there are no adds here casting AoEs and stuff on you during this time.) Usually I save it for 1 enemy situations as a fun finishing attack(Daimon getting stunned during the Soul Suck has a long window for it.) As for fighting Death? Jump and swat. Fighter is Heavenward Lash.

That being said, I do find myself swapping back to the Warrior now and then if only because I sorta see it as a half-blind underdog boxer staggering from being beaten on constantly but still getting up while 'Live to Win' plays in the background that I have to cheer for it. I mean, I'm pretty sure I could half the number of 'Death Appeared Again' rentals if I swapped Amon to another class, but it wouldn't fit. (He's been getting rented a lot and getting back hundreds of thousands of RCs every day-but mostly ends up with that classic 'Annd he died'.)

If they would give it a 3rd set of abilities, and give the Fighter a shield throw and the Warrior a way to heave their big-rear end weapon at an enemy from range and have it boomerang back? That alone would bring the classes up. And they wouldn't be OP at all, even WITH a ranged ability. Absolutely not OP with no ranged/6 abilities.

Also-agreed on inclination changing. What I want is an Elixir that locks the drat thing in once you have it set. Or something. Anything.

Also: just in case it hasn't been posted- http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/04/30/psa-title-update-issue--backup-your-dragons-dogma-save-data Seems to be a save data issue going around. One buddy of mine had his corrupted. I had backed it up immediately, not sure what's going on here.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 1, 2013

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I hit 41 and released the pawns I was using for 9-10 levels. Pumpkinreaper - Jivers, hopefully you got a lot of crystals, your little guy was pretty cool. BTW, in the nexus he has a normale male voice. I was initially disappointed when I first talked to him but as soon as he talked outside of the nexus I loved it.

Umm, healer pawn dude (I can't recall the name :( ) it healed pretty well. It did have a tendency to cast cold enchant way too much though :)

edit - Jivers is a sneaky fella. I kept trying to pick him up and throw him but as soon as I got close he would step away :(

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lunethex's pawn

gibbed fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 1, 2013

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Lunethex posted:

So if you're godsbaning at Olra to get some specific item, just run the dungeon again and come back. It might change everytime you come into that specific area after doing something important like killing a boss or just waiting a while.

Can you port to Grand Soren, rest, then come back and have it changed?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Are Barroch's pants in the game? I'm trying to make Barroch Obama a reality.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Danith posted:

I hit 41 and released the pawns I was using for 9-10 levels. Pumpkinreaper - Jivers, hopefully you got a lot of crystals, your little guy was pretty cool. BTW, in the nexus he has a normale male voice. I was initially disappointed when I first talked to him but as soon as he talked outside of the nexus I loved it.

Umm, healer pawn dude (I can't recall the name :( ) it healed pretty well. It did have a tendency to cast cold enchant way too much though :)

edit - Jivers is a sneaky fella. I kept trying to pick him up and throw him but as soon as I got close he would step away :(

Haha, it's probably because I tend to use him to test whether or not a fall will be fatal to me, so now he avoids intimate contact altogether. Also I really need to hurry up and max his warrior vocation so he can go back to being a strider.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Ramc posted:

Can you port to Grand Soren, rest, then come back and have it changed?

You have to be standing in that area that Olra is to be able to Ferrystone out, so yes. You can also Ferrystone right back to Bitterblack Isle when you're read.

Count Uvula posted:

Are Barroch's pants in the game? I'm trying to make Barroch Obama a reality.

I saw someone's pawn who had his cape. Somehow. Yes, it should be attainable.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lunethex posted:

You have to be standing in that area that Olra is to be able to Ferrystone out, so yes. You can also Ferrystone right back to Bitterblack Isle when you're read.

I saw someone's pawn who had his cape. Somehow. Yes, it should be attainable.

I think he may actually be wearing an outfit made from the old DLC outfits. That cloak looks like it is the Beastly Mantle you can buy from the Black Cat, and that chest piece reminds me of the Emissary chest piece, but I could be wrong.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

So I just got this game, and without having played the original DD, I'm certainly loving it, and the positive parallels to Dark Souls are certainly understandable.

I know this is like ten seconds into the game, but the nurse in the first town requires sunflowers and moonflowers, and I mistakenly took the one moonflower in town and Combined it with a sunflower to get a healing potion, which I apparently wasn't supposed to do. There are other moonflowers (at least, according the wiki), but are they impossible to get to?

Did I just spring my first "newbie trap"?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nah, they respawn eventually.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Nah, they respawn eventually.

You don't even need to wait for that. They're not a unique quest item, they spawn all over the place. Just wander around at night some more and keep an eye out for them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well this may be a concern: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123647-Dragons-Dogma-Update-Corrupting-Players-Save-Data

Apparently Capcom is urging folks to back up their saves because the latest update has resulted in corruption? This is the update from a few days ago, I guess? I guess I dodged a bullet!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lunethex posted:

That just seems so outrageous :v:

Capcom just loves putting so much in a game and never explaining it.
Yep, it's roughly ~20% per use and they stack multiplicatively. You can have 4 in use at any given time. So you end up doing a little bit more than double your damage. All the damage boosts are the same too as far as magnitude, so just buy whatever as long as it matches the type you want.

This is pretty much what made the UrDragon after gen 150 or so bearable.

Danith posted:

BTW, in the nexus he has a normale male voice. I was initially disappointed when I first talked to him but as soon as he talked outside of the nexus I loved it.
All pawns use a particular default voice in the riftstone. You never know what you're going to get until you're out! In my experience though, everyone uses the same 2 or so voices per gender, because the rest are just lovely filters.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
How do you get the bird's nests out of the trees. Some are kind of high up and jumping up there doesn't seem to work. Arrows?

Also, my Arisen is currently a level 28 fighter. What are people's thoughts on switching over to Assassin? Or just go full-out Warrior?

What's hilarious about this game is some of the dumb poo poo the pawns say. They're in the middle of fighting a Griffin and then would say, "Master, what beautiful scenery." Even my wife is mocking the dialog now so when a pawn dies she'll be "The cyclops is so impressive my lord, (makes dieing sounds)" Despite being a bit silly at times, this game is pretty fun, especially clambering on a griffin as it takes flight.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 1, 2013

• Locked thread