Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Let this be a lesson learned: EM is some kind of black magic social media wizard, and getting him to help with your KS will probably mean you win.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, I'm what now?

Yeah I'm confused. EM is a great dude but this has mostly been Mikan and me spreading the word. I've asked EM to write a thing for the book, but that wasn't even set up until after we'd already cleared our goal and I was screaming and crying and scrambling around getting some cool dudes to help out for stretch goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Yeah I'm confused. EM is a great dude but this has mostly been Mikan and me spreading the word. I've asked EM to write a thing for the book, but that wasn't even set up until after we'd already cleared our goal and I was screaming and crying and scrambling around getting some cool dudes to help out for stretch goals.

The joke is that EM knows like, all of the tradgames celebrities on G+ and posts everywhere, so clearly it was his nefarious influence who got Luke Crane to pick you as staff pick for tradgames. :v:

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

CitizenKeen posted:

And I like that you used the word "organs" - doesn't work against golems, clockwork beasts, elementals, and most undead and plant creatures. Useful without being omnipresent. Good stuff.

You are, however, deadly VS churches.

I'd love to see an advance on contract killer that lets you choose to have someone influential owe you a favor if you complete the job instead of getting paid in coin.

Congrats again Gnome and Mikan, Inverse World is gonna be great and those stretch goals look super exciting!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

madadric posted:

You are, however, deadly VS churches.

Boo! BOOO!

madadric posted:

I'd love to see an advance on contract killer that lets you choose to have someone influential owe you a favor if you complete the job instead of getting paid in coin.

Perhaps a darker version of Hero of the People?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Lemon Curdistan posted:

In other news:

Still not entirely sure on the starting move array.

Love it so far. Would definitely include it as a first pick for new players. Do you have a name yet? It's clearly an Assassin but there are other Assassins and you might want something more unique?

Also: It's probably a different archetype, but this gave me ideas:

madadric posted:

Don't forget good ol assassins creed

Requiescat in Pace
When you hear your victim's last words and lay them to rest, you may choose one of the following:
- Learn their true motives
- Learn some useful fact or intrigue

Public Execution
When you kill your target in a public place, nobody remembers your face, and you do not qualify for Outstanding Warrants. In addition, take +1 ongoing as long as you are escaping from the scene.

The Creed
When you kill your target and get away, mark XP for each of the following:
- You did not harm an innocent
- You were not noticed until you made the kill
- You left no way for anyone to track down you or your allies

It's also asking for these:

Nothing is True

Everything is Permitted
Requires: Nothing is True

but I can't decide what the moves would be :(

e: vvv yes!

Boing fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 30, 2013

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Nothing is True
When you ignore the advice of another and act on your own plans instead, take +1 forward.

Everything is Permitted
Requires Nothing is True
When you ignore the advice of another, roll +Bonds with that person. On a 10+ you gain 3 hold, on a 7-9 you get 1 hold.
You can spend hold to use any move unique to the person you rolled bonds with. If it's another PC, you use their stats instead of your own.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

madadric posted:

No! That's already a fictional possibility! They paid you to kill someone; if you want to threaten to go public as Leverage, do it!

Boing posted:

Love it so far. Would definitely include it as a first pick for new players. Do you have a name yet? It's clearly an Assassin but there are other Assassins and you might want something more unique?

Fenarisk's Assassin is already working the AC angle, actually!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lemon Curdistan posted:

And so is the Walker. As long as they do it from different angles, that's entirely fine! I love the moves Boink and KillerQueen posted, and either you or Fenarisk needs to use them.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I always thought that the 4e executioner's ability to stow the corpse of their victim into a shadowy extradimensional space to hide evidence or prove the client that the job is done was a pretty cool ability.

Something like:

Shadow Coffin

When you open a small container that you took a few hours to ritualistically prepare, the nearest dead body is transformed into shadowy mist and sealed inside. You can retrieve the corpse, in the condition it was when sealed, by breaking the container.

Edit: Or make it the nearest dead or unconscious body, if you wanted your assassin to be able to kidnap people as well.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 30, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

^^ that is cool! It has the flavour of Dishonored's Shadow Kill power, but with more utility and much better suited to the RPG format.

I've been playing Knife of Dunwall and this is probably too obvious a rip but gently caress it:

Bend Time
When you need to pull off a risky maneuver with not quite enough time, roll +INT. On a hit, you slow the world around you to a crawl - you have enough time to do what you intended. On a 7-9, the effort is exhausting: take -1 ongoing until you stop to take a breath. On a 6-, you don't have enough time, and you introduce some further complication.

Vermin Lord
Requires: Vermin Friend
You hold a mystical sway over the low forms of life. Wherever you go, you may call on them, and they will be conveniently close by. When you command them to attack your enemies, roll +INT. On a 10+ choose two. On a 7-9 choose one:
- Your enemies are distracted away from you and your allies, as they fight off the vermin
- The vermin burrow past armour and rip through flesh: Deal your class damage with the additional tags Messy and Piercing 2
- The effort does not take a serious toll on you
On a 6-, your enemies disperse the swarm and you are placed in a spot. The GM will tell you how.

Gear
Your Load is 8 + STR. You start with dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight), adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight), leather armour (1 armour) and a strange mark that grants you your powers, describe it.

You have a fine short sword (close, precise). Choose one additional weapon:
- Flintlock pistol (near, +1 damage, reload, 2 weight) and bullets (2 ammo, 1 weight)
- Light crossbow (far, piercing 1, reload, 1 weight) and bolts (3 ammo, 1 weight)
- Grenades (near, thrown, area, forceful, 3 ammo, 2 weight)

You also have a custom-built mask. Choose two of the following features:
- Binocular lens
- Armoured plating
- Targeting reticle
- Terrifying aspect

(I know it's not exactly what you were going for but I am having fun)

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I meant does your class have a name? The archetype you're going for is clearly 'assassin' (I didn't just mean the AC dudes), but it might get confusing if there are multiple classes in this thread with that name. It is the best word to describe it, though, something like 'The Cutthroat' wouldn't do it justice.

The Supreme Court posted:

Also, you've got to include a Backstab kinda move!

gnome7's Walker already has the perfect one:

The Walker posted:

Death from Above

When you drop in on someone from above, roll +STR. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:
• Deal your damage with a melee weapon
• Kidnap them - you retreat to somewhere nearby, taking them with you
• No one notices you dropping in, and your target doesn't make a sound

(I'd maybe make it double class damage, since it's explicitly an assassination move in this context. also +DEX obviously)

I personally don't think the DW thief even needed a backstab move, since the fiction should determine that if you sneak up behind a guy with a knife and they don't notice you, they're dead. Why would you roll damage? I mean I guess that could be an advance move:

Trained Killer or Knife in the Dark or something
Requires: Anatomist
When you deliberately aim for a creature’s vital organs and they have not yet noticed you, you kill them. They're dead.

Boing fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 30, 2013

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Boing posted:

gnome7's Walker already has the perfect one:

(I'd maybe make it double class damage, since it's explicitly an assassination move in this context. also +DEX obviously)
Yessss, this is brilliant!

Boing posted:

I personally don't think the DW thief even needed a backstab move, since the fiction should determine that if you sneak up behind a guy with a knife and they don't notice you, they're dead. Why would you roll damage? I mean I guess that could be an advance move:

Trained Killer or Knife in the Dark or something
Requires: Anatomist
When you deliberately aim for a creature’s vital organs and they have not yet noticed you, you kill them. They're dead.
I totally agree. I really don't like the thief's backstab. That said, in the above situation you probably don't need a move for the thief to do that; in DW they'd just kill the dude without triggering hack + slash.

I feel a backstab move should be totally gratuitous, glorious and have plenty of options. Given in the fiction, that dude is totally already dead if the assassin wants, the options could be something like:

quote:

Backstab
When you take an enemy by surprise and stab them somewhere vital, choose one of the following:
* they die without a sound
* they gurgle and spurt blood as they die painfully; "I won't murder you" counts as leverage for parley with any NPCs who saw the dark deed.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Translocation felt like I was forcing a reference to me, and didn't really entirely fit with the rest of the basic moves/first-glance class concept - the idea is that you're a magically-enhanced assassin, and teleporting is more a kind of thing you would get an advance for.

Cat's Grace has been split - although I have too many 2-5 moves now. Whoops! I deliberately do not want to involve rolling in Heightened Reflexes - you just always go first as long as you aren't surprised, no matter what. It's a good enough bonus to make up one move!
Sounds fair! I much prefer the new Cat's Grace / Heightened Reflexes.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Someone asked what sort of submissions I was accepting to Grim Portents 3: The Thaw. Sorry, I really should have mentioned that:

* They have to be under a Creative Commons Attribution or Attribution-ShareAlike licence.
* They can be for any * World or World of * game.
* They can be any length, from a single move or monster to a 5,000-word epic.
* And I guess I would have to think hard about an R-rated submission, although nothing has come close to that so far.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
If I feel like Backstab could probably use a reliable numbers option or something so you didn't have the possibility of rolling 2 damage, but generally if you get the drop on something and deal d8+d6 damage to them, chances are pretty good they're dead, and d8 might even have a fair shot at gibbing them. If they're not dead, either you rolled like poo poo (a problem with it using damage rolls) or they were strong enough to endure the attack. Personally I'm not fond of it being binary "you sneak up on and stab the guard in the throat, he dies" or "what no you can't use this move". Backstab isn't just for flat out assassination (though with its sheer damage output, it can do this), it's also for dirty tricks, ganging up on a target, and even just kicking dirt in some poor chump's face while he's down. It has nothing to do with hitting a vital spot and everything to do with dirty fighting and swinging below the belt.

A separate assassination move is fine and I figure there's some good way to do it, especially for a class geared heavily around being sneaky. Thing is, the Thief has a grand total of one sneaky move and that's Disguise. There's a ton of room to take up the side of a sneakier dagger-fiend, but it's not what the Thief is. The Thief is the jerk who takes people's purses and runs away, stabs them in the back when they look the wrong way down the alley and shoves a boot through their knee, or just acts like a clown and doesn't take stuff seriously.

If there's a problem with Backstab, it's that it's not entirely reliable. But that's what it is! You're risking a 6- in exchange for a bonus or two, and they're pretty solid bonuses. It's a gamble, and that's both totally okay and fits extremely well with the Thief. Backstab's one of my favorite moves in the core books, and the only thing I feel the Thief needs is a few more interesting advances to replace flops like Strong Arm, True Aim.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Sanglorian posted:

Someone asked what sort of submissions I was accepting to Grim Portents 3: The Thaw. Sorry, I really should have mentioned that:

* They have to be under a Creative Commons Attribution or Attribution-ShareAlike licence.
* They can be for any * World or World of * game.
* They can be any length, from a single move or monster to a 5,000-word epic.
* And I guess I would have to think hard about an R-rated submission, although nothing has come close to that so far.

Well, it is clearly time for me to draft "Citizen Keen's Comprehensive Guide to GMing Apocalypse World Sex Moves."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Stop Time and stuff like the mask having explicit features from the game are staying out because they're too much like video game powers rather than an ability that makes sense in-fiction as deduced from the Assassin's other abilities.

Boing posted:

I meant does your class have a name? The archetype you're going for is clearly 'assassin' (I didn't just mean the AC dudes), but it might get confusing if there are multiple classes in this thread with that name. It is the best word to describe it, though, something like 'The Cutthroat' wouldn't do it justice.

I will probably be unimaginative and go for either Assassin or Claw/Talon.

Boing posted:

Vermin Lord
Requires: Vermin Friend
You hold a mystical sway over the low forms of life. Wherever you go, you may call on them, and they will be conveniently close by. When you command them to attack your enemies, roll +INT. On a 10+ choose two. On a 7-9 choose one:
- Your enemies are distracted away from you and your allies, as they fight off the vermin
- The vermin burrow past armour and rip through flesh: Deal your class damage with the additional tags Messy and Piercing 2
- The effort does not take a serious toll on you
On a 6-, your enemies disperse the swarm and you are placed in a spot. The GM will tell you how.

Yeah, I already have Vermin Lord and it's going to do something pretty similar. I've got 4-5 moves I haven't posted simply because they're still draft.

Boing posted:

I personally don't think the DW thief even needed a backstab move, since the fiction should determine that if you sneak up behind a guy with a knife and they don't notice you, they're dead. Why would you roll damage? I mean I guess that could be an advance move

No, they're definitely just dead; an advanced move would imply that anyone without the move can't kill an unaware target, which is wrong - you explicitly just deal damage to a target if they're not aware of you. It's a bit silly that you'd roll damage and so potentially not do enough to kill a 3hp mook, but I guess they can always shift from one foot to the other at the last second and you end up stabbing them in the buttocks rather than the spleen, or something.

A move for killing silently is a good idea, but I've run out of space for 2-5s. I'll probably roll this into another move, something like "when you stand in deep shadow, nothing you do or touch makes a sound, including people."

My Assassin's "backstab" move is Anatomist, that's deliberate. You aim for a vital organ while they're unaware of your presence, you automatically deal d8+d6 damage.

I like TSC's backstab idea and might use something like it, if I can find a bloody place to fit it.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Sorry for getting ahead of myself I guess :shobon: the obvious video game-y stuff was more for fun, really.

"If someone is unaware of you, you deal your damage to them without rolling" is definitely different to "If someone is unaware of you, you kill them instantly". I really liked the 'vital organs' phrasing of Anatomist, and I like rolling that into an instant death move, since it means you can take out a human or elf no problem, even if they are a tough fucker with 12hp, but you can't just sneak up on a kraken and kill it because a) you probably don't know where its organs are, b) how are you even going to reach them with that little knife. I feel like the "sneak attack = extra damage" thing is one of those D&D sacred cows that we're trying to move away from. I think Anatomist should be the combat backstab move, when the enemy is distracted by an ally or you have a moment to setup a strike - but if they're totally unaware of your presence, it should mean death, whether by some playbook move or the rules themselves. I mean you are an assassin, d8+d6 can still whiff. The exciting part shouldn't be the damage you roll when you're right behind them with your knife, it should be the approach, and all the obstacles on the way to the target - once you're in striking distance of them and they haven't seen you, they're yours.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

I've done a lot of work to my Necromancer class, mainly in response to the excellent criticism I got from sentrygun a couple of months ago. The vague hirelings are now replaced with actual undead NPCS, and I've got rid of the ranged focus (Hex, back in my Witch draft). It's back to a class focused around raising and controlling the undead:

Core Skills:

quote:

Raise Dead
When you call the dead from their cold slumber, roll 2d6+Int. Add +1 in a graveyard, tomb or burial chamber.
On a 10+, three mindless undead claw their way out of the ground, intent on devouring the living. On a 7-9, something's gone wrong! Choose one:
* Only a single corpse answers your call.
* The dead resent your summons; they gain the instinct to survive.
* The undead awaken and rise in the wrong place

Compel Undead
When you command mindless undead in the dark tongue, roll 2d6+Int
* On a 10+ they will obey your orders without question.
* On a 7-9 your mastery fails; they will only obey triggers, or orders that do not go against their instincts.

Final Sight
When you stare into a corpse's eyes, you can see the events shortly before their death.

You Have Chosen... Poorly
When spend the time to gaze at a player character's soul, you are granted a vision of their possible demise. Describe it and write a new bond: I have seen ____'s death. When acting specifically towards or against this end, take +1 to aid/ interfere.
And the basic, controllable NPC that might just eat you too:

quote:

Mindless undead
6HP, Claws (d6 damage, Close, messy)

These soulless corpses died long ago, and their bodies have long since decayed; they move stiffly and slowly, feeling nothing but a burning rage inside their empty shells. More powerful necromancers can bring back servants with memories, muscle or magical strengths, but you're stuck with these brittle corpses that want to eat you.

Instinct: to devour the living
Trigger: When an enemy fights with sharp weapons, embed and tangle them in dead flesh.
Trigger: When an enemy fights alone, swarm them
Trigger When an enemy uses ranged weapons, absorb the shots
I'd really like some advice on Instincts, as they control how the NPCs act without input from the Necromancer (e.g. attack the nearest living thing) and the limits of control over his minions. It's also key, I reckon, to making cool undead NPCs that are quite different to hirelings. It should hopefully integrate well with other undead monsters the party comes across too, allowing the Necromancer to flex his command a bit.

I know the issue of NPCs fighting NPCs is a bit rubbish, so I've given the undead some really basic moves that the Necromancer can use (called Triggers) to make combat a bit more interesting. I'd definitely like input on this too! Should the command move automatically succeed if the Necromancer just calls a trigger?

I've got drafts of more powerful summons (long-dead, hungerers, dead mages) along with a bunch of instincts/ triggers for them, but thought I'd keep it simple and just work on the basic idea of instincts/ triggers/ commands right now.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 1, 2013

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I just picked up a PDF of this (and also of Dark Heart of the Dreamer, because it had a cool blurb) off of DTRPG, based off of hearing great things and hearty recomemndations, but not having any idea of what exactly I'm getting into.

As a potential DM, anything I should definitely check out besides the DM guide linked in the OP? There's so many links and extra classes and all that stuff and I'm not sure how deep I can dig and not get overwhelmed. :shobon:

(Also, gnome7's avatar reminds me that I really need to finish desiredriven)

Edit: Also, though I might find an answer to this as I read the Dungeon World book, I might as well ask it now.

I'm wondering why there are so many third-party classes already, some of them being so specific! Are the classes in Dungeon world a lot less flexible/reskin-unfriendly than classes in, say, D&D 4e?

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 1, 2013

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

You might want to update the date for the free version of the rules in the OP. In what might be the most awesome development in RPG history (well, okay, probably not), the free version of the rules were updated on April 5th. How loving tight is that?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm wondering why there are so many third-party classes already, some of them being so specific! Are the classes in Dungeon world a lot less flexible/reskin-unfriendly than classes in, say, D&D 4e?

Definitely not! You can absolutely do what you like with the main archetypes. It's instead because the entire game is built around encouraging content from all its players, so the mindset is totally "I'm gonna make up my own class and share it!". Add in that the system is designed for flexibility and ease of use and it's not only simple to do, but fun too.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

CuddlyZombie posted:

As a potential DM, anything I should definitely check out besides the DM guide linked in the OP? There's so many links and extra classes and all that stuff and I'm not sure how deep I can dig and not get overwhelmed. :shobon:

Nah. The Guide is handy for getting your head around the system (which is a really simple one, just different from a lot of RPGs) but nothing's really necessary. You'd be fine with just the main book.
The new options are generally simple to add to your game though so you'll be fine grabbing anything that sounds interesting.

quote:

The Dungeon World classes are fairly flexible. Dungeon World's just fun and easy to design for, so it's not much of a hassle to create something that better represents say a Necromancer than going the 4e route and just using a Shaman/Druid/Wizard/Invoker/whatever.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

CuddlyZombie posted:

Starting out, I'd heavily suggest sticking to the core book, or limiting your trip into crazy custom classes to Gnome's Alternate Playbooks which provide different versions of the Wizard, Cleric and Paladin, with the two spellcasters having their Vancian-style casting gutted. Once you play a bit and get an idea of what to expect you can better understand classes people have made, where diving straight into them might leave you confused. If you have a Druid player, you might want to check out Lemon's Shapeshifting FAQ, as it's a fairly difficult to understand right away.

CuddlyZombie posted:

It's just so easy to make them. There's even a chapter in the back all about making your own classes, which basically says "you've probably noticed that every class is a few moves based on a theme. You can do this too!", and people definitely picked up on that. The classes in Dungeon World are excellent at being reskinned, with my go-to example being a Ranger reskinned to a Necromancer. You use hexes instead of a bow and arrows, you can make them specific to do a Called Shot, and you control some undead as your companion. Still works exactly the same as the Ranger mechanically, but is extremely heavily reskinned.

4e was easy to reskin, but making a whole class was a ridiculous undertaking. Here it's ~4 starting moves, ~3 alignments, ~3 racials, some gear, and two sets of ten advanced moves, all of which fits very nicely on two pages.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Oh, that's reassuring, then! I was worried the base book's classes weren't enough for most people or something but if it's just super easy to add even more content then that's aces. :)

I'm excited to be able to actually sit down and start reading later tonight. Thanks for the answers, guys.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Lots of Assassins holy cow.

Admittedly I've decided not to sell any of my playbooks as A) they're pretty much tailored for the players in my game, and B) they do crib some moves here and there from other sources. For instance I changed my Assassin to drop two of the bland + mod's for something more evocative, and flat out stole The Walker's freerunning move since that was the last thing an Assassin Creed's style class needed and it was really elegant. If anyone wants to steal my poo poo go nuts, if I ever sell anything DW related it'll be setting only.

I will however only post them here. I'll post the edited/finalized "The Assassin" on Thursday along with a cleaned up "The Leader", and I might have a rough draft of "The Brawler" which is a close combat fighter based on unarmed combat and wrestling style moves (much like 4e brawler fighters). In truth I've been going gung ho on my own DW setting for my own game, and finishing up my Eclipse Phase hack which is in it's final stages before releasing to these forums.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
Assassin's always seemed more "compendium for thief" class to me, but YMMV. I wonder why I haven't seen more ninjas. As for monetizing playbooks, I'll probably throw all the ones I've been working on up on DTRPG at some point just to justify the hours of my life I've wasted tweaking them.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I know I'm a bit biased here, but the Walker is legitimately my favorite playbook right now. There are so few RPG classes built around mobility that actually deliver.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

That Rough Beast posted:

Assassin's always seemed more "compendium for thief" class to me, but YMMV. I wonder why I haven't seen more ninjas. As for monetizing playbooks, I'll probably throw all the ones I've been working on up on DTRPG at some point just to justify the hours of my life I've wasted tweaking them.

When I think Assassin I think mobility, sneakiness, and the wit and charm to actually track down a target, which offers a lot more move variety than the thief in my opinion.

Part of the reason the Inverse World playbooks are so good is because they are tailored for and thematic for the setting. The more settings that come with their own "core" classes the better.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Fenarisk posted:

The more settings that come with their own "core" classes the better.

Complete agreement. I've felt constrained by the D&D of Dungeon World for a while now, and changing the context was liberating.
I've already got ideas for a few Dungeon World projects after this one and for a while I'm pretty sure all of them are going to be more like Inverse World than individual D&D playbooks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could you work the Stolen into one of them :swoon:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm excited to be able to actually sit down and start reading later tonight. Thanks for the answers, guys.

Have fun! From an actual "enjoyment of the rule book" context, Dungeon World is the most fun I've had in a long time. Maybe ever.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I just picked up a PDF of this (and also of Dark Heart of the Dreamer, because it had a cool blurb) off of DTRPG, based off of hearing great things and hearty recomemndations, but not having any idea of what exactly I'm getting into.

(Also, gnome7's avatar reminds me that I really need to finish desiredriven)

Edit: Also, though I might find an answer to this as I read the Dungeon World book, I might as well ask it now.

The game is great fun with just the core characters, and is a perfect place to start as a one-off with some friends.

There are a few reasons why there are so many custom classes. First of all, it's fun and easy to do. Once you start thinking of actions and situations in terms of *World moves - (fictional trigger, rule, fictional result) you can't stop. It's such a great way to describe an interesting or exciting part of the fiction.

Another reason is that the nature of moves let you say something specific about a class. A class can be anything from 'mortal with a specific job/expertise' to 'magical creature' and the two can still sit side by side. Because classes are flexible, hackable, and at the same time uniquely specific, there's a great potential for new full classes and compendium classes to exist and do something new or different.

Also lemon, here's another move that might fit your contract killer:

Heartseeker
When you taste the blood of your target, you can follow the sound of their heart for as long as it beats. You can only seek one heart at a time.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Something to keep in mind too that if you don't want to delve crazily into all the 3rd party playbooks, you could always crib some parts to just make Compendium Classes. They're the easiest (and in my opinion most elegant) way to customize characters per the fiction in your own game world, and grabbing just the really important 2-4 moves of each of the 3rd party playbooks would mesh very well with any "core" class, be it the Gladiator for the Fighter or the Assassin for the Thief.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Mikan posted:

I know I'm a bit biased here, but the Walker is legitimately my favorite playbook right now. There are so few RPG classes built around mobility that actually deliver.

As a 3rd party, I want to confirm that, yes, the Walker looks amazing and I want to try it so bad right now.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Trip Report: Having read about 35 percent of the way through the main book (according to my kindle) I have to say I definitely am starting to get how there can be room for all these playbooks despite the core ones being quite versatile as it is; its pretty neat! I have to say, though, the finite list of names seems a bit odd to me. :raise:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I don't think my group has ever used the name list.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Most name lists just seem like a series of pop culture references to give you an idea of what characters might be considered as part of the class.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Alright, I won't worry about that, then~

Another question! I'm just getting to the part about Agendas, and how its super important to pay attention to them and to think deeply before adding to or changing them.

How concrete should all of this be? Whenever I DM, I always have an agenda of Ensure the Players are Entertained or Enjoying Themselves. Will my entire game fall to pieces and my DW gm-ing license be revoked if I tack on this 4th agenda?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CuddlyZombie posted:

I was worried the base book's classes weren't enough for most people or something

Most of us like to play with more archetypes than "Fighting Man, Magic User, Cleric," which is definitely why the Shaman, Warlock, Namer and Initiate exist.

madadric posted:

Heartseeker
When you taste the blood of your target, you can follow the sound of their heart for as long as it beats. You can only seek one heart at a time.

That is a good move, and I'll see if I can fit it.

e; this is now a core move for the Assassin. Thanks for the suggestion, Boing.

quote:

Coup de Grâce
When you take the time to aim carefully against a defenceless or oblivious creature, your damage is maximised.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 1, 2013

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Alright, I won't worry about that, then~

Another question! I'm just getting to the part about Agendas, and how its super important to pay attention to them and to think deeply before adding to or changing them.

How concrete should all of this be? Whenever I DM, I always have an agenda of Ensure the Players are Entertained or Enjoying Themselves. Will my entire game fall to pieces and my DW gm-ing license be revoked if I tack on this 4th agenda?

It certainly won't break. The agendas and principles are more behaviours you should follow to ensure everyone's having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I'll be in for one if we can find another two.

Aces.

(Two more Australians for the Inverse World bundle?)

TheDemon posted:

I don't think my group has ever used the name list.

The first time I ran Dungeon World, we had a wizard named Charles Barkley and a Gladiator called Biggus Dickus. So yeah.