Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

The Narrator posted:

Is NNM for HoD worth a shot? How significant are the changes to Great Wars? The other things in the changelog all sound pretty good (mostly involved with some political fuckery to make communism more popular, some events regarded weird colonisation etc), so I'm starting to think of giving it a try.

On a related note, is there a mod-management style for Vicky 2 in the same way as CK2 or EU3? Or will I have to backup my game and copy all the mod files over?
I haven't started a NNM game yet, but I will be doing that next. Supposedly the Great War changes cause the losing side to lose a lot more. The mod system it like CKII's, where you can actually load several different mods at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

uPen posted:

Gameplay is very slow and turns take a lot longer to process than they should. Other than that it's pretty similar to gratuitous tank battles.

I'm not sure if it's worth $10 but ymmv.

Hmm I hate slow turns and if it's not even worth $10 then I probably won't bother. I never played that tank game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rasmussen posted:

Has anyone played this yet? It looks great, but I can't find anyone talking much about it.

I just bought it off of Steam, so it's still downloading. I wish I got a tablet version for that $10 as well, but whatever I think I'll get at least $10 worth of enjoyment out of it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

North America gone dark.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just give northern Maine to New England from the start it's driving me crazy.
New England and the Maritimes start at war :colbert:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

North America gone dark.

A small Spanish state in Florida, maybe?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

North America gone dark.

This looks cool, is the rest of the world getting smashed up too?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

FadingChord posted:

A small Spanish state in Florida, maybe?
If I touch Florida, it will be to add a Seminole state in Tampa.

Fintilgin posted:

This looks cool, is the rest of the world getting smashed up too?
Europe will be basically empty, save for a couple Scot, Basque, and Swiss provinces (and ~~Srbja~~, which was spared the plague because of their natural genetic superiority). Russia will be empty save for its NNM states. European colonies will be handed over to their nearest sensible native counterpart. I might do some smashing up afterwards but I dunno. I still have to remove practically all the POPs in Europe.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

and ~~Srbja~~, which was spared the plague because of their natural genetic superiority

That is a funny way to spell supremacy.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Rasmussen posted:

Hmm I hate slow turns and if it's not even worth $10 then I probably won't bother. I never played that tank game.

The issue seems to be heavy server load on launch day. I had issues with slow turns before switching servers, but once I did, turns processed pretty much instantly.

Haven't tried offline yet - just played half an hour in co-op with my brother. Seemed fun enough. I'm about to play some more in a moment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In NNM is there no assimilation in europe? I'm not sure if I'm reading the tool-tip right but what I interpreted is that assimilation just doesn't happen in euroland.

I also conquered egypt very early and despite having an attract immigrant focus on it the whole drat game none of my people have moved there. I colonized some poo poo chunk of africa and I got an initial small rush of a few hundred people then it stopped.

I want to see pops in Europe assimilate, albeit slower than in the new world. I also want to see actual immigration to my African holdings, my people have a burden to civilize these people but they seem too lazy.

Can I change this? If so how? And will if effect an existing game?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rasmussen posted:

Has anyone played this yet? It looks great, but I can't find anyone talking much about it.

Gave it a go myself. The fact that the game is divided up into ten-second phases means there's a couple of bits early in the campaign where you spend a fair amount of time just pootering around, and the campaign itself ramps up difficulty fast (anyone else stymied by the Gargantuan?) Seems a fairly competently-made game, though, so if you like boats and battleships and don't want to play super-grognardy simulations of such it's a decent purchase, I think.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Drone posted:

NNF does add some cool stuff though, especially the "dictatorship thaw" events that happen when you're a dictatorship and then pass a voting reform. Makes it a hell of a lot easier than just waiting for Jacobin rebels.

I do kinda hate that Transvaal/Oranje aren't available in the 1836 scenario for NNM though. :(

Thank you for making me download NNM right now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*e* ^^^^ NNM has a bunch of disunited state files and all the state flags, it just doesn't use them. I think there's a Disunited States mod, but I don't know if it's HoD compatible.

NNM and PDM do actually use them, an event (from The Disunited States of America file) adds their cores if the USA stops being a democracy.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

uPen posted:

I've got several provinces with Poland-lithuania's cores on them which means I can't ally them. How do I strip their cores from the provinces?

Open up your savegame in a text editor, ctrl+f the name of the province you want to remove their cores from, delete the line with PLC in it, repeat until satisfied.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZearothK posted:

NNM and PDM do actually use them, an event (from The Disunited States of America file) adds their cores if the USA stops being a democracy.
Oh, so that's how that happened. I'd played a really fun game as New England where that happened back in AHD, but I couldn't get the US to really shatter last time I played.

Turns out I got a really lucky anarcho-liberal uprising turning the US into a bourgeois dictatorship moments before I released New England.

It was a really awesome game. As New England, the CSA and I were locked in a really involved sphere battle over all the newly independent states. Like some kind of Prussia/Austria situation or something. I wish I'd finished the game though, as a war between the two camps for domination of the continent was all but inevitable, and I wasn't sure my industry and technology alone could compete with their manpower.

In contrast, playing New England isn't all that fun if your neighbor is an angry unstoppable US who's out for blood.

Somewhat more fun was the time that New England revolted by itself... then the Manhattan Commune did... and then the Free States of America rebelled, consisting of Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York... and then some time later the CSA rebelled, including all of the West, as I'd made them all slave states. The "United States" was Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan. They had Missouri and New Jersey a time too, but the CSA and FSA each took one.

The fun was up when the UK sphered the US though. With hoards of UK troops down from Canada, the US managed to quickly annex the FSA in a single "restore order" war, and I was next on the list as New England. And so that game ended.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baloogan posted:

That is a funny way to spell supremacy.

It's a funny way to spell Bulgaria.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

On the subject of The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja, I'm pretty satisfied with the mod as it is now, though I still have some stuff I want to add (like unique newspapers and renaming parties/provinces). But if I were to add any other events or decisions it would be based on input or on actually doing the LP to set the official history. Back when I first worked on this I planned to do a conventional LP, as V2 didn't seem to enjoy a player base large enough to support the Succession style of the original, but now that HoD has significantly increased the interest in the game, I wonder...

The mod includes events to determine a Prime Minister or President, that happens after elections or roughly every ten years for nations without elections, which would be the basis for switching players, so if there is interest The Official Imperialist Adventures of Srbja & Friends would happen as a succession LP. I am confident we can get a pass on the Three Month Rule, as HoD doesn't add the kind of content that calls for it, but I still want to wait for an official patch or two to smooth some of the rougher edges in the game.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

Should I use Prince and Thane or CK2+? Has anyone tried the new Elder Scrolls mod?

I like Prince and Thane much more than Ck2+, though my main dislike is army size and how poorly supply limits increase. Mercs sizes are ~18k later in the game and most provinces will still be around 6-8k supply limit. You'll lose 2-3k moving through a single province.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Just to clarify: I'm pretty sure that Dictatorship Thaw event is in vanilla, but you need to pass the law relating to allowing other political parties as well as a voting law for it to fire. I may be mistaken, though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ZearothK posted:

On the subject of The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja, I'm pretty satisfied with the mod as it is now, though I still have some stuff I want to add (like unique newspapers and renaming parties/provinces). But if I were to add any other events or decisions it would be based on input or on actually doing the LP to set the official history. Back when I first worked on this I planned to do a conventional LP, as V2 didn't seem to enjoy a player base large enough to support the Succession style of the original, but now that HoD has significantly increased the interest in the game, I wonder...

The mod includes events to determine a Prime Minister or President, that happens after elections or roughly every ten years for nations without elections, which would be the basis for switching players, so if there is interest The Official Imperialist Adventures of Srbja & Friends would happen as a succession LP. I am confident we can get a pass on the Three Month Rule, as HoD doesn't add the kind of content that calls for it, but I still want to wait for an official patch or two to smooth some of the rougher edges in the game.
Oh gosh yes this would be amazing. This mod truly produces amazing scenarios, like The Battle of Three Spains (Carlist Spain turned Democracy vs Normal Spain turned Monarchy with Leon loving with both) or Great Papal Birmingham or Korean Siberia.

Also in my current game Serbo-Byzantium is no longer a great power (in fact it is no longer a secondary power). This is of course a bug. Please fix tia.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Europe will be basically empty, save for a couple Scot, Basque, and Swiss provinces (and ~~Srbja~~, which was spared the plague because of their natural genetic superiority). Russia will be empty save for its NNM states. European colonies will be handed over to their nearest sensible native counterpart. I might do some smashing up afterwards but I dunno. I still have to remove practically all the POPs in Europe.

You simply cannot release this soon enough.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

PleasingFungus posted:

The issue seems to be heavy server load on launch day. I had issues with slow turns before switching servers, but once I did, turns processed pretty much instantly.

Haven't tried offline yet - just played half an hour in co-op with my brother. Seemed fun enough. I'm about to play some more in a moment.

Offline runs much smoother. The bits of lag online are indeed from launch day stress.

If you like boats lining up and beating the poo poo out of each other, Leviathan's a good time.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ZearothK posted:

After playing for about a decade (Occitain), here's a trip report.

Good:

- It seems like there's a great variety of viable nations to play - the world isn't polarized between superpowers (GB, US) and unviables (India, Africa) like vanilla is. A nice change!
- The menu music is hilarious.
- Likewise, Louis le Beau, and the rest of the Romance of France.

Bad:

- It seems like you have two or three sets of election events - vanilla HoD, pre-expansions vanilla, and another set which I assume are from NNM. Actually, I assume all of this is from NNM but... it's really really awful! One set of election events is entirely bad enough.
- Someone mentioned this the last time you uploaded a version of this mod, but the economy is completely broken. There are almost no manufacturers of machine parts at the start of the game - in the late 1840s, I checked, and the only country producing non-fractional amounts of machine parts was Korea, which was making 15 or so. I'm the second-most-prestigious nation in the game right now, and I have literally never been able to buy a single machine part. Capitalists and foreign investors have roughly twenty factories queued up for construction, and none of them have any machine parts stockpiled. Judging by the industry scores, the same is true of the rest of the world. This is ridiculous.

The previous time someone mentioned the problem, you suggested you were going to add machine parts to North Africa. It looks like you didn't get around to that, though?

Weird:

- When at war with Vasconia for two of my cores, the entire northern half of Vasconia (all of my cores), suddenly flipped to my control, and the wargoal changed to 'cut Vasconia down to size'. Bug? Feature? Event that the default message settings didn't display? It was perplexing.

(Then Vasconia fell to Carlist rebels and became Carlist Spain, which Spain promptly conquered, before itself falling to Carlist rebels (but remaining Spain). It was really an experience.)

In conclusion: I like your mod, but the machine parts shortage is a really major issue! Please fix your mod.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

ZearothK posted:

There's only a couple of those states, though. Practically none of them are defined in the common files. The mod on which it's based has literally every state as a separate entity, and NNM still has all the flags.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Another issue I found in my TIMAS game is that with the great powers spread across so many continents most of the time crises ended with the 'nobody has taken any interest' outcome. Not only was this rather boring (A crisis in the Yoruba states! Wait nevermind no one cares...) but the crisis being so short meant that other crises didn't 'cool down' and you'd end up getting spammed with 3-4 crisis a year.

Is there anyway you could up AI aggressiveness in willing to take sides in crisis that aren't on their continent? The Srbian world is so much more interconnected it would make sense that the great powers would be even further reaching.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm playing a normal NNM game and like clockwork there's some stupid crisis in China which either no one is interested in or it's instantly peacefully resolved with white peace/status quo. It's now the only crisis that ever triggers.

But seriously can anyone tell me how to get my europeans to immigrate to my african colonies so I can build factories and poo poo there? The focus seems to do gently caress all.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
How long does it usually take communist parties to emerge? I'm in a mostly laid back game as Argentine and I notice that their have been no countries where communists have emerged.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Late 1800's generally. I'm sure someone can give you an exact date but I'm guessing around 1870-80. Then depending on events they start to ramp up pressure. poo poo starts to go down once red-guards and such show up and try to other-throw various governments. Sometimes they catch a country off guard and the next thing you know, they have a rad flag.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Crowsbeak posted:

How long does it usually take communist parties to emerge? I'm in a mostly laid back game as Argentine and I notice that their have been no countries where communists have emerged.

There will be an event in the 60-70s or so about some country inventing it and then a few decades later you'll have 200,000+ citizens rising up every few years.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Crowsbeak posted:

After around 1880 you'll notice it happening a lot in countries that lose wars, and lose them badly. Not unusual to see a revolution in the country or countries on the losing side of a Great War.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'm playing a normal NNM game and like clockwork there's some stupid crisis in China which either no one is interested in or it's instantly peacefully resolved with white peace/status quo. It's now the only crisis that ever triggers.

It's like this in vanilla, too. I think it was Yunnan that kept starting poo poo in my game, wanting independence, but after like three days of not finding a sponsor it fizzles out (which seems really weird, is it supposed to give up that quickly?) Then as soon as the cooldown's up, Yunnan's all "I want my independence, bitches :whatup: ...oh no one wants me, never mind :(" Over and over and over again.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

There will be an event in the 60-70s or so about some country inventing it and then a few decades later you'll have 200,000+ citizens rising up every few years.

its 1899, no country has a communist party. I checked.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

its 1899, no country has a communist party. I checked.

I think there's a specific invention that has to happen somewhere in the world, which only happens once a certain tech is researched. Specifically, I think your scientists have to invent Karl Marx, presumably by growing him in some sort of vat. If the 'Karl Marx' invention never triggers, communists never pop up.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

But seriously can anyone tell me how to get my europeans to immigrate to my african colonies so I can build factories and poo poo there? The focus seems to do gently caress all.

The line of third column of techs in the Culture tree boost colonial migration.

Mister Bates posted:

I think there's a specific invention that has to happen somewhere in the world, which only happens once a certain tech is researched. Specifically, I think your scientists have to invent Karl Marx, presumably by growing him in some sort of vat. If the 'Karl Marx' invention never triggers, communists never pop up.

I once didn't have Socialism or Anarcho-Liberalism spawn until the late 1890s.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

If you haven't already, I'd definitely redo some of the regions, at least the ones in America. Have them mirror your world more than OTL, and it'll make less split names to boot!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, is "Columbian British Columbia" common in HoD or what? Because it's 1839 and I just noticed that's a thing in my game. Edit: Just found out it's a different Columbia. Huh.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 2, 2013

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, is "Columbian British Columbia" common in HoD or what? Because it's 1839 and I just noticed that's a thing in my game. Edit: Just found out it's a different Columbia. Huh.
Yeah, it's a very well known bug. The AI is extremely eager to release dominions to free up Colony Points. Seeing the Paradox forums say the game is completely broken because of this is pretty funny.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 2, 2013

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
WWI started in 1908, the countries are

United States, Japan, Australia, Hejaz, Ottoman Empire, Russia, Mexico, Brazil, Columbia (BC), Italy, Austria Hungary, Serbia, Spain vs. China, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Iraq, Persia, Afghanistan, Canada, USCA, Haiti, Switzerland, Cuba.

I'm just puttering along as Finland when this happens.

E: This is going to be one HELL of a war :stare:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd say it qualifies as a bug. It doesn't ruin the game but it can't be intended behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
NNM kinda fixes this by adding Rupert's Land, which the British AI frees pretty quickly, but it tends to release Columbia first anyway so Columbia ends up independent as soon as the war with Xhosa is over.

• Locked thread