Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Aggressive pricing posted:

What loving assholes, is it concentrated in lumps or spread out? I'd try compressed air, an abrasive pad(used lightly, I like the green kitchen ones), or a plastic scraper, but have no actual experience with this, so take that with a large grain of salt.

It's spread evenly and looks kind of like sand. Right now, we're using steel wool to scrub everything off, with very slow results. I was thinking of using a belt sander, but that would shred the plastic into bits. I was hoping we could use something with corrosive or loosening properties, but I guess we'll have to do it the hard way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I have a paint question as well, though not for house paint. I'm refurbing a set of tool chests and need to know if there are any types of rust-converting paints(primer or all-in-one, doesn't matter to me) that are worthwhile but don't cost a bundle. I know about POR-15, but $32 a pint is a little pricey for what I'm doing here and I have no idea where to get it locally anyways.

The corrosion isn't bad, there's just lots of surface discolorations and a single spot on the lid of the top box that's got a few pinholes in it(looks more like acid damage than just plain rust, the metal is generally good aside from the small and mostly-vertical pits confined to a roughly 1" square area) but I was planning on just drilling/grinding out the corroded areas to good metal and then filling it in with some JB-Weld or other type of metal putty. Ideally I'd like to lay down a rust-converting primer and then hit it with the toughest, most solvent-resistant stuff I can find.

Can anyone clue me in? Rust-Oleum claims to stop corrosion but after using their stuff to respray a grill leg a few years ago I don't believe a word of it. I think the leg actually got worse after I sanded/cleaned/resprayed with the Rust-Oleum.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Kilersquirrel posted:

Can anyone clue me in? Rust-Oleum claims to stop corrosion but after using their stuff to respray a grill leg a few years ago I don't believe a word of it. I think the leg actually got worse after I sanded/cleaned/resprayed with the Rust-Oleum.

It's been years since I used it, but naval jelly worked pretty well for me when I was doing some backyard bodywork on an 83 Celica. Just goop it on there and let it sit for a while (however long the directions say), then scrub it with a wire toothbrush and hose it down.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Thanks, I might get that to both clean corrosion spots and etch the metal a bit for better adhesion.

Any pointers on decent solvent-resistant paints? You can safely assume these toolchests are going to get everything from engine oil to brake fluid on them at one point or another, and probably have the odd sharp/rough object kicking around on top while I'm working on things. I was thinking of doing the top of the large roll-away chest with rubberized auto undercoating to give it some grippiness, but I'm having second thoughts as (funny enough) that stuff seems to have close to zero resistance to petroleum-based fluids and solvents.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
There is also that rust converter. It goes on a milky liquid and turns the metal black and stops rust. I think you need to then paint it, but I have used it at home and when I worked at sea it was a common tool in the war on saltwater.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Unless you have access to a powder-coating oven, air drying enamel spray paint might be your best bet.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that engine enamel is probably the way to go in this case. (I don't have a clue where a powder-coating place is around here and probably wouldn't want to shell out for it anyways - it's not like I got a Snap-On or something crazy like that) Not the 2000F enamel, but the 500F paint - I think it ought to work pretty well since it does not require baking to set up fully. I still plan on giving it a once-over with my heat gun on "low" and setting it out in the driveway (faces straight south and solid blacktop, it absolutely cooks until about 3 p.m.) to make sure things are hardened up properly though.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I've decided I want to build bookshelf since I need another but other than a rough idea I'm not sure how it's going to work.

In the past I've built cheap bookcases from Walmart or Target, so that's what I'm planning my idea for it on. I'd be buying another one of those but I'm pretty sure they don't come in the size to fit the space I need it for; which is roughly 2'4" high and 4'9" across.

Here's a rough diagram of my plan done in mspaint:

Red = bracket locations. I'd put one in the front and one in back in each bracket location.

So I'm thinking I'd just hit up Lowes and grab some boards and screw them together with the brackets after varnishing them. Is this idea sound? And what type of wood should I be using for the backboard? The cheap ones come with an almost cardboard like wood piece.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I have hard water blockage somewhere leading up to my shower.
Having removed the shower head and stuck a coat hanger back in there, I was unable to reach or remove the blockage.

Short of ripping out walls and pipes, is there something else I can do to clear the pipes?
I know you can rent pressure systems to blow the pipes clear, but this is a really old house and I think I would end up causing more problems in the long run that way.

What about feeding in some CLR via tube and funnel?

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 26, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Try renting a snake from Home Depot or Lowes

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Redesigned this:

Think I'm going to go with this for the back:
Plytanium 1/4 x 4 x 8 Pine Sanded Plywood

And get 3 planks of this and cut them up for everything else:
1 x 2 x 8 Kiln-Dried Poplar Board

I may also forgo brackets, and just put about 3 screws in each area.

And I'm using this as my guide atm: http://www.ehow.com/how_4849064_build-basic-bookcase.html

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Evil Vin posted:

Redesigned this:

TOH posted:

Strength Comparison: The amount of weight a 3-foot 1x12 shelf can hold without sagging more than ¼ inch:
Oak: 313 lb.
Pine: 200 lb.
Plywood: 129 lb.
MDF: 87 lb.

Your shelves are too long with only end support. You need a spine, and likely one in the front also.
Take a look at A TOH bookcase project. I think this might ground your design a bit. I would also check out Tommy Mac for some seriously beautiful projects and great instruction.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
So, uh, for anybody else who's kind of a newbie at refinishing things, read the MSDS for your paint stripper BEFORE buying it or starting and make sure you buy gloves that can handle what's in it. I learned a little lesson today on just how wrong everybody was who ever told me "nothing gets through nitrile gloves, they're good for anything."

And I'm kind of pissed off at Home Depot for selling a product containing an unadvertised-on-bottle but seriously powerful solvent, but no PPE gear that can stand up to it.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Kilersquirrel posted:

So, uh, for anybody else who's kind of a newbie at refinishing things, read the MSDS for your paint stripper BEFORE buying it or starting and make sure you buy gloves that can handle what's in it. I learned a little lesson today on just how wrong everybody was who ever told me "nothing gets through nitrile gloves, they're good for anything."

And I'm kind of pissed off at Home Depot for selling a product containing an unadvertised-on-bottle but seriously powerful solvent, but no PPE gear that can stand up to it.

Use safe for human strippers like soy gel.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Your shelves are too long with only end support. You need a spine, and likely one in the front also.
Take a look at A TOH bookcase project. I think this might ground your design a bit. I would also check out Tommy Mac for some seriously beautiful projects and great instruction.

Thanks for warning me. I can't quite find information about bookcase spines is there someplace I should look? My quick scanning of the thus old house link didn't seem to mention it. (And Googling bookcase spines gets me spine bookcases)

At the moment really all I want is something I can throw books, quickly and cheaply. That's why I'm going with such a boring design. Plus the other bookcases in the room look like:

Like this is my perfect bookshelf: http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=B8055E5867BB02BAB6BD21B1CB1D5806#ip/Bush-Universal-Bookcase-30/17648085
But it's an inch or two too high to fit under the window I need it to fit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Vin posted:

Like this is my perfect bookshelf: http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=B8055E5867BB02BAB6BD21B1CB1D5806#ip/Bush-Universal-Bookcase-30/17648085
But it's an inch or two too high to fit under the window I need it to fit.

I don't like to discourage someone making something from scratch but you could easily cut down the sides & foot board of that bookshelf by an inch or two before you assemble it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Evil Vin, google "sagulator", it will help you calculate shelf span and materials.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Cakefool posted:

I don't like to discourage someone making something from scratch but you could easily cut down the sides & foot board of that bookshelf by an inch or two before you assemble it.

It's also quite a bit more than I'd like to spend.

wormil posted:

Evil Vin, google "sagulator", it will help you calculate shelf span and materials.

Thanks for this. I'm going to cut down the width by about foot now so it won't sag as much.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Evil Vin posted:

It's also quite a bit more than I'd like to spend.

Didn't think of that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

It's spread evenly and looks kind of like sand. Right now, we're using steel wool to scrub everything off, with very slow results. I was thinking of using a belt sander, but that would shred the plastic into bits. I was hoping we could use something with corrosive or loosening properties, but I guess we'll have to do it the hard way.
You can get steel wool pads for floor buffers, that would probably spin slowly enough to keep it from doing damage.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

I have hard water blockage somewhere leading up to my shower.
Having removed the shower head and stuck a coat hanger back in there, I was unable to reach or remove the blockage.

Short of ripping out walls and pipes, is there something else I can do to clear the pipes?
I know you can rent pressure systems to blow the pipes clear, but this is a really old house and I think I would end up causing more problems in the long run that way.

What about feeding in some CLR via tube and funnel?

Turn off the water, pull out the cartridge, clean it, check for bad rubber gaskets/O-rings. Is this a 1, 2 or 3 handle shower?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Evil Vin posted:

Thanks for this. I'm going to cut down the width by about foot now so it won't sag as much.

Looks like you can go with the full 55" span if your edging strip is at least 2.5" wide although that would mean you probably need to add a few inches to the overall height.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

wormil posted:

Looks like you can go with the full 55" span if your edging strip is at least 2.5" wide although that would mean you probably need to add a few inches to the overall height.

Thanks. I'm going to read up on things and compare notes with someone I know that builds things from time to time since I won't actually be able to work on it until next week or three weeks from now if don't get to it next week.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

kid sinister posted:

Turn off the water, pull out the cartridge, clean it, check for bad rubber gaskets/O-rings. Is this a 1, 2 or 3 handle shower?

Did this and it fixed it.
I did not think the cartridges were the problem since the issue popped up simultaneously (only hot or cold should have low flow, not both) but I guess it was just random bad luck.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's time to start putting in the window ACs again. Before I put them in this year, I want to clean them up, especially since they seem to have little bits of mold in the interior styrofoam. I've heard that I can hire someone to clean them, but a quick search online only shows people offering flood repairs, etc. I just don't have the time to do it myself.

Is this a thing? Can I hire someone to clean my window AC units, or is this something that is only really applicable for forced air AC units, etc? If so, is this something that an HVAC company does, etc?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Is this a thing? Can I hire someone to clean my window AC units, or is this something that is only really applicable for forced air AC units, etc? If so, is this something that an HVAC company does, etc?

Yeah, but when it's $80 just to have a guy ring the doorbell having someone show up to clean those is a bit of a waste. Here's a link: http://www.ehow.com/how_2171236_properly-clean-window-air-conditioner.html

You can use a 1:1 mix of vinegar and water instead of the cleaning solution.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Not sure if this is better suited for the plumbing thread, but I'll try here first.

I have a Buderis Natural Gas Boiler in my basement that was installed into my existing forced water heating system in late 2011. Since it was installed it occasionally goes into lockout mode. It's happened maybe 6 times since it was put in, but it's really annoying. Using the reset instructions on the door works every time, though I notice that if I turn the power back on to it before letting the gas sit on for a few seconds, it immediately locks out again.

Any idea what I can check to stop this?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Dragyn posted:

Any idea what I can check to stop this?

What does it use as a flame sensor and has it shown a lock-out code?

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

I am building a paver patio, with a paved size of 5 1/3' x 8 2/3'. I'm in the san francisco bay area, working in a small sideyard in a condo complex. The soil is hard-packed, red clay. I just want to check my steps here:

0. Mark shape.
1. Excavate to a depth of 6"
2. Compact and level sub-base
3. Place weed barrier
4. Add paver base 3"-4"
5. Compact and level base.
6. Add paver sand 1"
7. Place pavers
8. Place and secure paver edging
9. Add sand to fill gaps

Do these steps cover the basics?

2 additional questions:

1. Is hand tamping a reasonable approach for the compacting? The expense is one consideration, but for most of the time I'll be working alone, and renting and maneuvering a 200lbs plate compactor out of my car, through the condo complex, through my apartment and into the yard is daunting me. If so, any hand-tamping tips?

2. Is it important to have a slight grade for water run-off? If so, does the grade exist on the sub-base/base/sand/pavers? Do they all slant (slightly)?

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
It's always something, y'all. Our tankless electric water heater isn't holding temp. We have it set at 125, but if you turn on any water, hot or cold, it dips WAY down to sub-80f, then slowly builds back up. This makes showers kind of horrible. What's wrong with it? Father-in-law thinks we need to up the temp to 145, I'd rather not. I'm not supposed to take a shower hotter than 110f for another five months, anyway.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
It sounds like you have the process down, although when I did a 650 sq. ft. patio in our backyard, I put the weed barrier on top of the limestone base rather than underneath. Since it compacted almost as hard as concrete, I wasn't afraid of weeds getting through it.

bisonbison posted:

2 additional questions:

1. Is hand tamping a reasonable approach for the compacting? The expense is one consideration, but for most of the time I'll be working alone, and renting and maneuvering a 200lbs plate compactor out of my car, through the condo complex, through my apartment and into the yard is daunting me. If so, any hand-tamping tips?

2. Is it important to have a slight grade for water run-off? If so, does the grade exist on the sub-base/base/sand/pavers? Do they all slant (slightly)?

Rent or buy a hand tamper; a plate compactor or jumping jack is overkill for such a small area. Learn to listen for the way the sound changes when you tamp level ground. It's kind of difficult to explain, but provided you're tamping consistently, the sound will change from the usual "crunch" to almost a "slap" when the ground underneath is flat.

A grade is important for directing water away from a structure, and the rule is 1" for every 8'. I would start by grading your paver base then double check grade on your pavers, adjusting as necessary.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Tourette Meltdown posted:

It's always something, y'all. Our tankless electric water heater isn't holding temp. We have it set at 125, but if you turn on any water, hot or cold, it dips WAY down to sub-80f, then slowly builds back up. This makes showers kind of horrible. What's wrong with it? Father-in-law thinks we need to up the temp to 145, I'd rather not. I'm not supposed to take a shower hotter than 110f for another five months, anyway.

Tankless heaters don't hold temp, that's pretty much the point. The cold water is the water in the pipes between the heater and the faucet/showerhead, it gets warmer as the coils in the heater warm up and is hot when the heater and pipes are hot. When people have ones that work almost instantly it's because the heater is really close to the faucet. There's no point in raising the temp on the heater and if you put it up too high you run the risk of scalding someone. If your father-in-law isn't actually qualified to work on these don't let him touch it. Depending on your local code, his suggestion may be illegal.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Make sure to flush/drain the unit. They have condensing coils and if water builds up they shut off as a safety measure.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
I have a question about plumbing in apartment buildings. I've got a friend who moved into an apartment building and there is a problem with the hot water where it will be a few degrees below what it should be minimum (at least 43C) during most of the day. He's been told that it's because people have (against rules) put in-suite washing machines and dishwashers in to their suites hooked up to sinks.
Allegedly, the water from the washers/dishwashers can drain back into the plumbing and I guess cool the hot water down or something? This is assuming they let the washer sit a while for the water to cool down I guess. Sounds like cold water from the machines can supposedly get drained back into the hot water or something?
I know jackshit about plumbing but it sounds kind of feasible because he says that sometimes the water pressure drops as well, and when it happens he'll go stand outside the units that he knows have washers and can hear them running. Then when the pressure is back to normal he goes outside their unit and doesn't hear it running anymore.

The building also has about four 60 gallon hot water tanks for ~25 units. I'm just looking for a general idea of whether or not this is bullshit.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Allegedly, the water from the washers/dishwashers can drain back into the plumbing and I guess cool the hot water down or something? This is assuming they let the washer sit a while for the water to cool down I guess. Sounds like cold water from the machines can supposedly get drained back into the hot water or something?

If this is an explanation someone gave you, then it's pure-D bullshit. Water coming out of your pipes (and into appliances) is pressurized. Going down the drain, it's not; it's going out and into the sewer (and, hopefully, a water-treatment plant). There is NO WAY it can re-enter the demand (pressure) side & get re-used.

What they mean about people adding washing machines or dishwashers to their units is that they are water hogs, particularly hot-water hogs, so that when you don't have enough hot-water generation for the demand in your building even without such appliances drawing off supply, such as

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

The building also has about four 60 gallon hot water tanks for ~25 units.

You will have a hot-water supply issue. Each unit should have at least a 30-gallon heater. You'd need something like eight to ten 100-gallon units to keep up with 25-units.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

The only other issue is that apparently they've always had 4 60 gallon hot water tanks and it's only recently been a problem, but I'm doubting it because even to me that sounded like too little. I mean poo poo, single family houses have 40 gallon water tanks. Thanks for the advice, I'm siding with it being bullshit now.

e: I just used this site
http://www.hotwatersizing.com/ApplicationData/Apartment.aspx

and plugged in 30 x 1 bath units and their recommendations were either a 100 USG heater or 2 60 USG heaters as far as I can interpret their recommendations.
http://www.hotwatersizing.com/Results.aspx
This still seems low, what gives? Is it because it's commercial heaters or something?

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 1, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If the building owners went high-end, those AO Smith units might do the trick. 245GPH recovery rate at 100-degrees? Sure.

Most likely, though, they'd be buying the cheapass stuff the rest of us get, like a bunch of these 4-gallon beauties from Lowe's , with a 36-GPH recovery rate at 90-degrees.

Even the standard 100-gallon gas unit comes in at 193-GHP at 90-degrees, and it's over $5500.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Welp, considering everything I've heard points to it being a cheap household one, I guess that settles it. Thanks a bunch.

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 1, 2013

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Make sure to flush/drain the unit. They have condensing coils and if water builds up they shut off as a safety measure.

Do electric units have condensing coils? I'm not too familiar with them, but I can't imagine what they'd be condensing, electrical heat is already super efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!
This is a really stupid question...

I have painted homes built/renovated in late 70s, 2006, and 2013. Every single one of these I have scratched paint off of the slotted screws when removing outlet covers. How on earth do electricians get these installed without scratching them up? I'm using an appropriately sized screwdriver that doesn't have a super thin blade or anything and I have scratched at least some paint off of about 50% of the white screws when removing them.

Also, is it worth the time to go back and "fix" outlets connected with the backstab wiring and connect them to the screw terminals? I don't know if it is well founded, but to me the backstab connections seem to be the lazy electrician's method and in no way preferred over the screw terminals. All of the outlets in my new house are backstabbed...the outlets are all Leviton in case the quality of these things differs among brands