Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unmature
May 9, 2008
Kiryu gets ready to swing, sees a rival Yakuza, ruins club on his face, finishes the hole using whatever items are lying around the course.

EDIT:
Uh oh, started the page with a stupid joke. Uuuuuuh, letter writing campaign to Sega for HD Yakuza 1&2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

He's so adorable. :)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The pool AI is like playing against AM from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. It knows every outcome and it just wants mankind to suffer. It just won a break and sank every ball in a row ON BEGINNER. Jesus christ, enjoyed every game before I tried playing 8-ball. Hell, hadn't even heard of 4-ball before, but now I play it in real life but JESUS THAT 8BALL AI.

Edit- just sank all but one of mine in a streak, missed once, beginner AI did all its balls in a row then the 8 what the gently caress. Insert nipplebandit rant here.

Edit #2: at least I can get my sweet revenge on the darts AI.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 23, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is the closest thing to a Shenmue thread what with the last one archived. I just saw pics of this:

Look at this pretty little fucker. There will be only 350 of these made at the absurd price of $185. I wish I had that kind of disposable income because I would be right there pre-ordering this thing right now. Instead, I'll leave that possibility to any of you who may be as crazy as I. Godspeed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
If that came out around tax refund time or something I wouldnt even hesitate to blow that kind of money on that.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So, I'm thinking of finally actually playing any of the Yakuza games. I own Yakuza 2 but haven't really touched it apart from the first couple of scenes. Should I play it or should I just buy 3 or 4 instead? I watched the Yakuza 1 LP so I know the characters.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Play 2, it's the best one, but gets a bit harder to go back to because of how polished the mechanics get with 3 and 4.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Yakuza 2 is the best game in the series by far. If you already own it there's no reason to skip it to play the comparatively lackluster PS3 titles.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Renoistic posted:

So, I'm thinking of finally actually playing any of the Yakuza games. I own Yakuza 2 but haven't really touched it apart from the first couple of scenes. Should I play it or should I just buy 3 or 4 instead? I watched the Yakuza 1 LP so I know the characters.

Yes play it! It is awesome and has Diapermen and a joke about Peacocking your mom!

Seriously though, 2 may very well be the best one. It's certainly the most manliest.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
OK, sounds good. Anything I should know before starting?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Buckle up :clint:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

All these new posts and I thought we had some bit of news about Yakuza 1/2 HD or Yakuza 5.

I still haven't finished Yakuza 4.....

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
Japanese Nintendo Direct just had a near 5 minute long showing of Yakuza 1/2HD on Wii U.

Here's hoping any version of that makes it overseas.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Spikeness posted:

Japanese Nintendo Direct just had a near 5 minute long showing of Yakuza 1/2HD on Wii U.

Here's hoping any version of that makes it overseas.

Why would they bring over the version on the console that has a fraction of a fraction of the userbase?

Maybe Nintendo will pay for them to bring it over exclusively or something, but I doubt it.

e: Oh any version. Yeah I'm still hoping something will happen, but my faith is waning.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 17, 2013

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I always thought Yakuza was a Sony exclusive? What's it doing on Nintendo?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sega shoving out a port onto another platform to get some face time and make some quick cash while Nagoshi does his PS4 thing.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
If Yakuza 1/2HD made it over to the US on Wii U and not on PS3, I might have to buckle down and buy one. Especially with the HD rerelease of Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask.

I tried to play the old N64 version of Zelda:OOT with my kid, and she was like "What the hell is this, dad?" (But not in those words.)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would probably get both versions if they somehow made it over here.
Anything to encourage them to actually bring these over. Even if it's only through digital download.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Macaroni posted:

Especially with the HD rerelease of Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask.

You might be confused - OOT got ported to the 3DS with better graphics and MM probably will too. The Wii U is getting a port of Wind Waker.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Oh, I was confused. Thanks for clearing that up. Pity I'm not in the market for a 3DS. :(

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Macaroni posted:

If Yakuza 1/2HD made it over to the US on Wii U and not on PS3, I might have to buckle down and buy one. Especially with the HD rerelease of Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask.

I tried to play the old N64 version of Zelda:OOT with my kid, and she was like "What the hell is this, dad?" (But not in those words.)

Return your kid and get another.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hey.

Do you remember when Yu Suzuki said "we can obtain the license from Sega" about Shenmue?

Do you remember when Sony became super friendly to indie developers and then announced the PS4? And then Yu Suzuki went to them to talk to Sony's Mike Cerny about Shenmue 3?

Well, here's something neat.

This is Corey Marshall, the English voice actor for Ryo Hazuki, and he just posted this picture of him recording something and started talking about Shenmue articles! And hey! E3 is next month! Isn't that neat?!

Sonic Racing Transformed DLC? Shenmue 1 and 2 HD? Shenmue 3? Who knows?! You better get your hopes up!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Ive learned after several years to not get my hopes up on this subject... but gently caress! I guess I have to preorder a PS4 now just in case or something.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

As cool as that is, I'd still be pretty upset if this was made, and nothing was done about Yakuza 5/1+2HD.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

abagofcheetos posted:

Return your kid and get another.
To be fair, Hyrule Field from Zelda:OOT looks pretty crappy on a big TV. Especially after something like Ni no Kuni or Okami.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Policenaut posted:

Hey.

Do you remember when Yu Suzuki said "we can obtain the license from Sega" about Shenmue?

Do you remember when Sony became super friendly to indie developers and then announced the PS4? And then Yu Suzuki went to them to talk to Sony's Mike Cerny about Shenmue 3?

Well, here's something neat.

This is Corey Marshall, the English voice actor for Ryo Hazuki, and he just posted this picture of him recording something and started talking about Shenmue articles! And hey! E3 is next month! Isn't that neat?!

Sonic Racing Transformed DLC? Shenmue 1 and 2 HD? Shenmue 3? Who knows?! You better get your hopes up!

:aaa: I'm prepared to be disappointed, but I want to believe! If this is truly setting up for Shenmue III, that may be the tipping point on what next gen console I should get.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna pretend I didn't read any of this, so I don't become stunningly disappointed when nothing happens.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I also forgot to mention this but something to keep in mind is that the DOA5 director has said in the past that he was thinking about putting Ryo into Dead or Alive 5, which has a bunch of Virtua Fighter cast members. The revision, "DOA5 Ultimate", has even more VF characters and could still have even more cast members.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Ya'll blowing my mind.

Forget Luigi, this is the Year of Ryo. :rock:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Finally finished Kuro Hyou 2 at last...drat it feels good, now I got to max out all of the skills and do the extra content items.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

The Macaroni posted:

Yeah, OoT aged horribly. Severely overrated, too, as it was many people's first Zelda and is eclipsed by many other games in the series but people give it 100/100, sometimes even out of peer pressure from people shouting them down for not thinking it's the best game of all time. Tales of Symphonia and FF7 suffer from this severely overrated first 3D game in the series syndrome, too.

As for Yakuza, I really, really hope I can get 1+2 HD on PS3/4 or something here in the States. Yakuza 1 and 2 are expensive enough just getting on PS2, and if they bring it over that means we can get the dual audio (maybe)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

sandpiper posted:

Yeah, OoT aged horribly. Severely overrated, too, as it was many people's first Zelda and is eclipsed by many other games in the series but people give it 100/100, sometimes even out of peer pressure from people shouting them down for not thinking it's the best game of all time. Tales of Symphonia and FF7 suffer from this severely overrated first 3D game in the series syndrome, too.

As for Yakuza, I really, really hope I can get 1+2 HD on PS3/4 or something here in the States. Yakuza 1 and 2 are expensive enough just getting on PS2, and if they bring it over that means we can get the dual audio (maybe)

Trust me when I say you want to play Yakuza 5 way more than you want to play Yakuza HD. I don't know about 2 but I'm reasonably confident it would be the same story.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
One thing that interested me was in Kurohyou, because Tatsuya is not within the legal drinking age of 21 in Japan the hostess clubs offer Tatsuya non alcoholic beverages such as fruit juice and tea. Does it also apply to real life hostess clubs in Japan where the patron in question is old enough to go to the Hostess club but not old enough to drink?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gyrobot posted:

One thing that interested me was in Kurohyou, because Tatsuya is not within the legal drinking age of 21 in Japan the hostess clubs offer Tatsuya non alcoholic beverages such as fruit juice and tea. Does it also apply to real life hostess clubs in Japan where the patron in question is old enough to go to the Hostess club but not old enough to drink?
I doubt it, I think Japan has some kind of cultural thing about portraying underage people drinking (and only drinking, not other vices) in the media. There is definitely underage drinking in Japan though, it;s apparently easy to do in karaoke shops. As long as you aren't being dumb like wearing your school uniform or something, they'll serve you alcohol.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I doubt it, I think Japan has some kind of cultural thing about portraying underage people drinking (and only drinking, not other vices) in the media. There is definitely underage drinking in Japan though, it;s apparently easy to do in karaoke shops. As long as you aren't being dumb like wearing your school uniform or something, they'll serve you alcohol.

Still, Tatsuya may smoke but he never drinks alcohol with the hostesses, only juice, tea and virgin cocktail.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I spent a year in Japan and was only ever carded once, in a Don Quixote, and probably since they have a bunch of stuff talking about duty-free purchases that's because they expect foreigners to shop there.

Also I don't know about that being the only vice you can't show... Tatuya also has a bowdlerized version of the host club games where it ends with just a kiss.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Since a buddy gave me a PS2 I decided to pick up Yakuza 1 & 2. I only briefly played the first one in Japanese and I platted 4 (I watched through all the videos). Since 5 wont come out here anytime soon I'm gonna play through 1-3. Let's not give up hope...

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
The third game has an amazing ending. I was impressed, and yet it had all the components of a Yakuza ending to the point of almost being predictable. Rikiya dying was the saddest I've ever been, and I definitely called Daigo rolling off the hospital bed to kill a few guys.

C'moooon Yakuza 5 announcement, where are you?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's an official character poll going on on the Japanese official site. You can vote five times (per day, it seems), click on the 投票 button below their picture.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's an official character poll going on on the Japanese official site. You can vote five times (per day, it seems), click on the button below their picture.

Wonder how this is gonna turn out. Obviously Kiryu, Haruka, Daigo, Majima, Akiyama and all those other big players are gonna take the top spots, but I'm hoping some of the other guys like Rikiya and Date get higher scores too. :ohdear:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 9, 2013

• Locked thread