Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

SirFozzie posted:

There's a preview released today.

Edit: Complete with a fiction story with an Ares security mage summoning an insect spirit in the middle of a firefight.

Oh ares, my ares, what have you done?

I guess it's Ares turn to hold the evil ball (a cousin of the idiot ball)

Got a link by any chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

SirFozzie posted:

Oooh, where did it get released at? I can't find it on either of the big Shadowrun sites.

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm gonna assume it's not :filez: to copy a file from a site that requires registration to download free stuff, so: http://ari-rahikkala.net/misc/E-CAT27PP1_SR5%20Preview%201.pdf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Isn't there some book designed to bridge 4th and 5th ed fluff? Is it any good? I'm a little intrigued by what I've seen so far and may want more if it's good fluff.

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That would be Storm Front. I haven't read it, but a lot of people on Dumpshock have.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

SirFozzie posted:

Edit: Complete with a fiction story with an Ares security mage summoning an insect spirit in the middle of a firefight.

I guess it's Ares turn to hold the evil ball (a cousin of the idiot ball)

That's not even the evil ball, it's the what the gently caress ball, because Ares was more or less known for being intensely anti-insect spirit. They were vaguely the least evil corp in SR4 to my recollection because they didn't torture children to get technomancer secrets, they didn't try futzing around with AIs, and they were doing what they could to keep Bug City from becoming Bug Country.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Maybe the answer to "What have you done Ares" is "Get infiltrated by insect spirits"? :shrug:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ares being infiltrated by insect spirits is a thing in Storm Front, I don't know how far back it goes.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

SirFozzie posted:

:911:

What the gently caress though? Like Cirno said, Ares was like the loving Bug Hunt corp. Firewatch was pretty much founded to stamp out insect spirits.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They've been keeping bug spirits around to experiment on ways to use them as brainwashed (for lack of a better term) soldiers against other bug spirits and also to develop better technology and weapons to use against them.

Like a lot of things with Ares, it isn't going well.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it's meant to build up to follow the age-old saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
He who fights monsters?
Did they seriously name it Storm Front ? :godwin:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, 99% of the world doesn't think of them when they see "Storm Front". It's also a perfect loving name because almost nothing happens in the book but setting up that maybe cool or interesting poo poo could happen down the road. So you see, it's not the storm we get to read about. We just get to watch the storm moving closer.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Haha yeah I had no idea what you meant by the godwin. Nobody cares about some stupid neo-Nazi internet forum.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Swagger Dagger posted:

They've been keeping bug spirits around to experiment on ways to use them as brainwashed (for lack of a better term) soldiers against other bug spirits and also to develop better technology and weapons to use against them.

Like a lot of things with Ares, it isn't going well.

It just strikes me as bizarre because that's not Ares' usual MO. Ares' big five were arms, space, entertainment, security, and vehicles. They've never been into bioengineering or mucking about with spirits or any of that. They were always categorized as one of the most if not the most "down to earth" megacorp. They didn't get all crazy with the Matrix or with magic, they were the simple guns and steel guys.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I found this on page 59 of Corporate Guide, near the end of the Ares section.

quote:

> I was skimming your Chicago guide, Sticks. What’s the deal behind
UnlimiTech? They’re Ares Consumer Products too, no?
> Cosmo

> My relationship with UnlimiTech has had its ups and downs,
but what they’re doing now surprises even me. I never thought
the org would rather study the bugs than put a bullet through
their brainpans.
> Sticks

> For years, there have been rumors that Ares itself has been infiltrated
by the bugs, becoming a hive. Bugs targeting Ares makes
sense when you remember that Ares led the global crusade against
the bugs with new developments, both mundane and arcane. They
must have done some serious and in-depth research on the bugs.
> Plan 9

> If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you.
> Man-of-Many-Names

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'd actually really love it to be a 'thing' that Ares spent so long fighting the bugs they didn't even notice when they crept in the back door. All it takes is one executive who thinks 'hey, why not fight fire with fire?' to give enough space for them to crawl in.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

All it takes is one executive who thinks 'hey, why not fight fire with fire?' to give enough space for them to crawl in.
Or better, that one executive is the bug and it's actually pouring fund to make the bug stronger. :smugdroid:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ProfessorCirno posted:

They didn't get all crazy with the Matrix or with magic, they were the simple guns and steel guys.

And Storm Watch ends with them both big in the magic and big in the Matrix, hilariously [They got the rights to upgrade the CAS to new and stronger Matrix protocols]. Ares: Literally nothing like the Ares of a handful of years ago!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm going to be running some compound/building infiltration missions in the coming months and I was wondering if any of you have any good sources for either satellite images of prisons or shipyards or warehouses or anything. Additionally I'd like to be able to get some floorplans/blueprints for players to use. I have a nice color printer and I'd like to give the players some handouts if they negotiate and/or hack well. I'm not going to be using any pre-made adventures other than On The Run and/or Food Fight for the beginning of the campaign.

My initial idea was to just print out some google maps satellite images for whatever type of compound I'm using for the mission but I have no idea where to start for detailed floorplans.

Any help would be appreciated.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you do a Google search for "INSERT BUILDING TYPE floorplans" and use advanced search to look for line drawings you can find pretty much anything you need pretty quick.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If you want satellite imagery, I suggest Cryptome.org's Eyeball series, which is an archive of publicly available google/bing images of various interesting places.

Be advised, if you print these out, have your players scribble infiltration/attack plans all over them, and then get investigated by law enforcement for some reason, they will probably go Steve Jackson Games on you.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeah, that's always been one of the problems with Shadowrun; I never feel entirely comfortable talking about it, let alone getting into writing down plans. :cop:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I know we've talked about this, but why do the sourcebooks do the worst job ever of explaining what a loving T-bird is? This Shadowrun Forum thread exemplifies how misunderstood they are: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=10746.0

About halfway down the page, somebody has to explain (probably for the hundredth time) what a T-bird actually is. If they're gonna be so lazy, they should just have small print that says "Read Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams if you want to know what this commonly-discussed but never-explained Shadowrun vehicle is and how it's used."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Except the Panzers in Hardwired are literally hovercraft, with skirts and everything, while T-Birds are capable of NOT being stuck to the ground IIRC?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I really love it when people start a sentence with "except" and end it with a question mark! It's never condescending or annoying as gently caress, and it always makes perfect grammatical and syntax sense. :angel:

Anyway I was under the impression that T-Birds were ground-effect vehicles similar to hovercrafts but with a higher ceiling. I've never seen it explained well in the sourcebooks so maybe I'm totally wrong.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ground Effect Vehicle, AKA Shadowrun T-Bird

Vs.

Hovercraft, or Air Cushion Vehicle.

Not the same thing, but easy to confuse, especially because beyond some experimental stuff and several soviet projects that flew around the Caspian sea in the 60s-70s, no one in the west has really seen one. Everyone is familiar with the channel Hovercraft, so they just make the assumption that they are the same.

I'm relatively certain that the Panzer in Hardwired was an ACV, basically a low-observable, armed & armored version of the US Navy's PACV. I have not read that book in years.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Ah, okay, that makes sense. I just looked at my copy of Hardwired again and sure enough, the panzers are just armored FUTURE hovercrafts. He describes the skirt and everything.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thanks for checking, I can't find my copy anywhere.

From what I recall in the first and second edition rigger books, a T-Bird would be like if you took a Harrier Jump Jet, and added the armor, payload, and weaponry from an M2 Bradley. So it can't hover over a few meters, and can't fly over 10-15.

Thinking about it, I can't imagine what advantage it would have over a regular AFV or helicopter gunship, because the compromises needed to get it to fly would make it bad at both roles.
So I guess it's one of those rule-of-cool things.

:hellyeah:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Martello posted:

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I just looked at my copy of Hardwired again and sure enough, the panzers are just armored FUTURE hovercrafts. He describes the skirt and everything.
Yes I just read Hardwired and remembered that, but like you said they never clearly describe T-birds. I should've broken that up into two sentences I guess :shobon:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
You're good dude, I've just been browsing awful :goonsay: threads in D&D and Games (not Trad Games) too much lately. Thinking the worst of people right off the cuff.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…the problem really comes down to the skill choice: T-birds were driven using the Vectored Thrust skill, effectively making them jump jets that couldn't stay flying through aerodynamic forces alone (which would exclude them from the WIG category and definitely disqualify them as regular aircraft). And then they added in that odd 1km flight ceiling, which makes no sense any way you cut it.
:suicide:

I've always seen them as ye old completely nonsensical and unrealistic “float on top of a vertical jet stream” air cars — powered by secret ancient illuminati tech, no doubt, since the range would be about 40' and the thing would overheat and explode in short order unless built by orbital-rocket heat shield material. At best, they might have been some kind of enclosed-rotor helicopters that magically got a whole lot more lifting power out of the tiny rotor diameter (if the illustrations are to be believed) than is really possible.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MRC48B posted:

Thanks for checking, I can't find my copy anywhere.

From what I recall in the first and second edition rigger books, a T-Bird would be like if you took a Harrier Jump Jet, and added the armor, payload, and weaponry from an M2 Bradley. So it can't hover over a few meters, and can't fly over 10-15.

Thinking about it, I can't imagine what advantage it would have over a regular AFV or helicopter gunship, because the compromises needed to get it to fly would make it bad at both roles.
So I guess it's one of those rule-of-cool things.

:hellyeah:

It's better to think of the T-bird as this with a bunch of guns hanging off of it...

Seriously, look at the Banshee and compare it to the Thunderbird 2...

Of course, the Stonewall looks even more like it...

Tippis posted:

I've always seen them as ye old completely nonsensical and unrealistic “float on top of a vertical jet stream” air cars — powered by secret ancient illuminati tech, no doubt, since the range would be about 40' and the thing would overheat and explode in short order unless built by orbital-rocket heat shield material. At best, they might have been some kind of enclosed-rotor helicopters that magically got a whole lot more lifting power out of the tiny rotor diameter (if the illustrations are to be believed) than is really possible.

Shadowrun didn't have the cyberpunk staple of flying cars and still really doesn't, but T-birds somewhat filled that role. Because, let's face it, the price point of something like that is going to exceed even the luxury market and the only real people who can justify that expense, as well as cut the red tape that'll allow them to operate (like not filing flight plans, skirting FAA restrictions, insurance premiums, etc.) are going to be the military and law enforcement.

Also, I've always just pictured them as APCs with jet engines strapped to them. I think there was one in one of the SOTA books on mercenaries that sounded exactly like a BMP with jets mounted on the sides instead of treads.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 2, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oh snap, has anyone noticed?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/?snr=1_7_15__13
Shadowrun Returns

I have the incredible temptation to throw all of my money at it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rockopolis posted:

Oh snap, has anyone noticed?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/?snr=1_7_15__13
Shadowrun Returns

I have the incredible temptation to throw all of my money at it.

Some of us did that already when it was kickstarted a year ago.

It looks wonderful too, complete with a level editor and Matrix now.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I missed the kickstarter but I at least got the Collector's Edition before the offer expired.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the tips on getting satellite photos and floorplans guys. I'll burn everything after each session just in case. :v:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, the latest bit about fifth edition laments how hackers can't be the ubergods of combat by turning off opponents guns and cyberware, because people (gasp) disable wireless, so they added a rules change to encourage people to run with wireless on for cybernetics, so hackers/deckers can hack them again.

(can you tell I'm not a fan?)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think we went over that before, it works for the idea of a super connected/web integrated world to have most people running wireless, and it makes hackers no longer the door-opener job, it's a decent change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

SirFozzie posted:

So, the latest bit about fifth edition laments how hackers can't be the ubergods of combat by turning off opponents guns and cyberware, because people (gasp) disable wireless, so they added a rules change to encourage people to run with wireless on for cybernetics, so hackers/deckers can hack them again.

(can you tell I'm not a fan?)

Go back a few pages to us having literally this convo and...well, some of us, myself included, ending up on the polar opposite position as you are.

I think hackers being able to mess with your optics and poo poo owns, personally.

• Locked thread