Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
If you mean recent by sub date rather than air date, I recommend 116- Tower of Babel and 84- Super Gussun Oyoyo because the puzzle game episodes are great, and also 117- Mr. Gimmick because it's a hard game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In spite of what SOME people may tell you, the two-hour Takeshi's Challenge Live special has some amazing karaoke. :colbert:

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?

jyrque posted:

I just bought a 3DS XL and fiddling around with it I remember people ITT sharing GCCX stationery for it. Apparently this is used in the Letter Box app? In any case, can anyone share it to me?

I still haven't gotten mine. 4871-3381-4039

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm looking for a piece of information. I can't find who did the remix of Ode to Joy that's used as the show's theme. Any information I can find on it simply refers to the music as a techno version of Ode to Joy.

I know it has to be older than 2004 since Game Center CX has been using it since late 2003. It's possible the remix was done for the show but I find it really unlikely. Early on they were taking what they could find from the music library.

I've just spent twenty minutes listening to terrible remixes of one of the world's greatest pieces of music while looking for it. It's starting to make my ears bleed, so I thought I would ask.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm looking for a piece of information. I can't find who did the remix of Ode to Joy that's used as the show's theme.

I've been asking about it since the first thread, I don't think anybody knows. :v:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Don't people know because they were asking the guy who made on twitter about what the computerized voice was saying?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

Don't people know because they were asking the guy who made on twitter about what the computerized voice was saying?
The computerized voice is from another piece of music and has nothing to do with the version of Ode to Joy that follows.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Plus haven't they used different versions in different seasons? I'd say they've all come from terrible royalty free library music CDs.

EDIT: If they are in fact licensed, I'd check the Dancemania compilations first, that's where pretty much all Japanese TV shows seem to get dance music from.

PkerUNO fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 1, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PkerUNO posted:

Plus haven't they used different versions in different seasons? I'd say they've all come from terrible royalty free library music CDs.

I thought that they may be different cuts from the same piece.

Other than season 17, of course. I can pretty much guarantee that the remix there was commissioned for the show.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Speaking of finding stuff out from the show: does anyone know the type of monitor they used for the first 10 or so seasons? I'm referring to the white one that Arino originally put the Bikkuriman stickers on. There's info out there on the new black one, but I haven't been able to find anything on the white one.

daveisawesome
May 11, 2010
Also still looking for the GCCX (or any) stationery. Got my 3DS back from repair recently and lost everything I had.
0989-1780-9175
Thanks to any who can help!

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
I suppose I should get on this swapnote train.

5327-1227-9014.

Much appreciated.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Lizard Wizard posted:

In spite of what SOME people may tell you, the two-hour Takeshi's Challenge Live special has some amazing karaoke. :colbert:

Eh, Karaoke or not that was one of my favorite episodes in a while.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Speaking of finding stuff out from the show: does anyone know the type of monitor they used for the first 10 or so seasons? I'm referring to the white one that Arino originally put the Bikkuriman stickers on. There's info out there on the new black one, but I haven't been able to find anything on the white one.

I could swear a goon figured it out once, but I can't find it in a search for the life of me. Consensus seems to be that it's a CRT but hopefully posting cluelessly about it will get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to jump in and correct me. :v:

I've never been able to find that version of "Ode To Joy" myself and I was kind of hoping it would show up on the soundtrack CD so we could figure it out. But if they put it on there at all they're more likely to use the version from the most recent seasons.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I had a pretty good time in Osaka. Thanks all the goons who pointed out Den Den Town, turns out the inn I was staying at was very close to Namba station.

Now I have a new problem of collecting old games. Fire Pro Wrestling is there because it's made by the guys who made Septentrion :v:. Not pictured: a package of cooling sheets.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Humongous Pear posted:

I could swear a goon figured it out once, but I can't find it in a search for the life of me. Consensus seems to be that it's a CRT but hopefully posting cluelessly about it will get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to jump in and correct me. :v:

They used a CRT for the first 13 episodes. Then they switched to a Toshiba LCD television until season 15. Part of it fell off during Contra and they never put it back on...

El Mido posted:

I had a pretty good time in Osaka. Thanks all the goons who pointed out Den Den Town, turns out the inn I was staying at was very close to Namba station.

Now I have a new problem of collecting old games. Fire Pro Wrestling is there because it's made by the guys who made Septentrion :v:. Not pictured: a package of cooling sheets.

I think I went to the shop you were in. I remember grabbing a stack of train games there, getting up to the desk and discovering that I didn't have enough yen in my wallet and you can't use credit cards at all...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 2, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
New Episode
5/9/2013
トム・ソーヤーの冒険
#159 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Never played this on the NES. Is it a fun game to try out before it airs next week?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm really, really curious now if they will include (and if so, if they comment on) the horribly racist caricature of friend of the family Jim in the game:

EDIT: It turns out there are TWO Famicom Tom Sawyer games, and the one I'm talking about isn't the one they're doing an episode of. Crisis averted.

univbee fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 2, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

univbee posted:

I'm really, really curious now if they will include (and if so, if they comment on) the horribly racist caricature of friend of the family Jim in the game:

Are those... are those supposed to be red teeth or giant lips? And if they're lips why are they striped?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

StevenM posted:

Are those... are those supposed to be red teeth or giant lips? And if they're lips why are they striped?

They're lips.

Please do not have them put an AD in blackface... :negative:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

StevenM posted:

Racism. I'm really looking forward to that episode since that game is sort of infamous but I don't really know too much about it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a very different and much less racist game than Square's Tom Sawyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb0Fjv--G9U

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They have Kanji for the N-word?

Huh.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a very different and much less racist game than Square's Tom Sawyer.

You're right. I got the two games backward. I just went to the page because I was scared that they used one of those images for the episode description and was reminded of that.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

They have Kanji for the N-word?

Huh.

Those characters above his portrait? Nope, those are katakana. It reads Jimu, or basically Jim.

AzraelDarkheart
Mar 24, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

They used a CRT for the first 13 episodes. Then they switched to a Toshiba LCD television until season 15. Part of it fell off during Contra and they never put it back on...

I think I went to the shop you were in. I remember grabbing a stack of train games there, getting up to the desk and discovering that I didn't have enough yen in my wallet and you can't use credit cards at all...

Any particular brand CRT? I'm looking for specifics. I kinda want one.

And I think I went in the same shop you're thinking about too. Was the register on the right side as you went in, and they had a bunch of consoles on your left next to a staircase upwards? That's where I got my Famicom Disk System.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well, they probably call him by that name at some point in the game.

But yeah, good thing they're not doing that so we can stop talking about it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Guys stop overreacting! Thats just a giant mutant ant!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Adventures of Tom Sawyer is a very different and much less racist game than Square's Tom Sawyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb0Fjv--G9U

A lot less racist but also a lot less interesting.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
I've never heard of the game, and i either really like or really don't like those episodes. Hopefully Tom Sawyer turns out well. In the meantime, i'm going to get over the fact that the thread moving wasn't a new episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gunstarheroes posted:

I've never heard of the game, and i either really like or really don't like those episodes. Hopefully Tom Sawyer turns out well. In the meantime, i'm going to get over the fact that the thread moving wasn't a new episode.

Give it time. You've got episodes coming up soon enough.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

El Mido posted:

Heh, I only saw the original pricetag on Dr. Mario at first and thought you paid almost $50 for it, at what I assumed must be Japan's most expensive retro store. 750 Yen seems much more like it!

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

El Mido posted:

That's a pretty nice haul. Fun fact: one of the SFC Fire Pro Wrestling games was directed by Goichi Suda, a.k.a. Suda 51, and is kind of infamous for having an extremely depressing story mode with an even more depressing ending.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Simon The Digger posted:

That's a pretty nice haul. Fun fact: one of the SFC Fire Pro Wrestling games was directed by Goichi Suda, a.k.a. Suda 51, and is kind of infamous for having an extremely depressing story mode with an even more depressing ending.

Now I'm picturing Suda 51's The Wrestler.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Now I'm picturing Suda 51's The Wrestler.

I'd love to play that. I own that Fire Pro Wrestling, and yes, the story mode is something.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Ray shared this on Twitter. You can get the Retro Game Master DVD for a good price at this link.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/FDGMh8ZyhG67NBSgAj/browse/item/95528/4/0/0

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

gunstarheroes posted:

I'd love to play that. I own that Fire Pro Wrestling, and yes, the story mode is something.

I'd be really interested in a brief synopsis if anyone were inclined to post one.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
In case people here wanted to know, here are the episodes that Last Continue GCCX sub team are working on at this moment. He is currently working on these 3 episodes with his team: VC Super Metroid Part 3, Jogging Race, and VC Splatterhouse. The main person on the team is busy with his work right now, but plans on getting these out as soon as he can. That release window may be a while from now.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Time_pants posted:

I'd be really interested in a brief synopsis if anyone were inclined to post one.
Quoting from Kotaku

quote:

The story of Super Fire Pro Wrestling Special, is uncharacteristically dark. You start as a rookie working your way to the World Championship. Along the way, however, tragedy repeatedly strikes with a string of defeats, the murder of your coach, and the accidental death of one of your closest friends in the ring—at your own hands, no less. And after all that, just before your championship match not only does your girlfriend leave you, but also the defending World Champion Ric Flair (called "Dick Slender" for copyright purposes) straight up murders your tag-team partner in the middle of the ring—and informs you he killed your coach, too.

The game ends after your match with Flair. As the new World Champion, you stand alone in the ring, having lost everyone you ever cared about. Surrounded by cheering fans and having attained your dream at last, you wonder if it was really worth it.

Three days later, you shoot yourself in the head.

Here's a clip of the ending sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9jau3MfwS8

EDIT: found a better synopsis.

Hammond Edgar fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hammond Edgar posted:

EDIT: found a better synopsis.

Holy poo poo what :staredog: