Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
It goes straight on base and the PMQs.

http://etstripplanner.edmonton.ca/RouteScheduleResults.aspx?route=199&date=4/13/2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

tuyop posted:

Hey, does anybody who's posted to Edmonton know how the bus system works there? Is there a bus that goes close enough to the base to walk or bike from the stop?

The 199 stops in front of every major unit's building and runs every half hour from eaux claire bus station.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

The 199 stops in front of every major unit's building and runs every half hour from eaux claire bus station.

Awesome. I'm totally selling my car if I get my OJT there.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Does anyone know what/if any restrictions exist for Permanent Residents (PR) joining the CF?

I've seen some really old (2004) anecdotal evidence suggesting that they cannot be officers and certain trades are off-limits, but I can't find anything recent. Some CF sites seem to say that citizenship is a hard requirement, but others mention that PRs will be considered.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There are some restrictions, you'll probably never get a job that requires more than secret clearance, but it's best to ask a recruiter.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Soooooooooo anyone gonna lose their jobs after HMCS Winnipeg got rammed today?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
It's a possibility since apparently it was all being conducted by Seaspan. Why couldn't it have been the Algonquin? :(

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Pretty bad day to be OOD

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Everyone seems to like Winnipeg but she's a bit of a hard-luck ship. Gland space flood in 2005 (I was on duty on another ship), hitting jetties and other ships (Regina in San Fran for instance, I was on Reg) (maybe it's me?!).

Video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151464365359760

It was a hard hit.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

We were just coming back into the Harbour when it all went down. Sniping channel 10 made for some fun in the control room. Course then we had to turn around and wait four hours to come back in, which sucked.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsbcanada

Apparently the damage on the stbd side is even worse.

I wonder who they are going to hang repair costs on

Hope it isn't us....

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

compressioncut posted:

Everyone seems to like Winnipeg but she's a bit of a hard-luck ship. Gland space flood in 2005 (I was on duty on another ship), hitting jetties and other ships (Regina in San Fran for instance, I was on Reg) (maybe it's me?!).

Video:

It was a hard hit.

Winnipeg was my ship 2006-2010. 2006 was a bad year - in addition to hitting Regina we also hit Vancouver on two separate occasions, plowed in to A Jetty hard enough to rip a Yoko off, and were adrift somewhere off SoCal without power or propulsion for over 18 hrs due to a severe engineering mishap. I was up top when we hit Regina in '06 and it wasn't really our fault. We were the last of four ships in and we were all late getting in as it was due to a mix up (screw up) with the tugs which meant that the currents around pier were so crazy the tugs couldn't deal with it. Good times, and good crew. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

Video:

It was a hard hit.

Phones need to have a popup to force people to turn them sideways when taking a video or something. Ugh.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I don't see how they could dump the repair costs on us.

This sucks, I really hope the damage isn't as bad as most seem to think it is.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

tuyop posted:

Phones need to have a popup to force people to turn them sideways when taking a video or something. Ugh.

Very first thing I thought of (seriously) on viewing the video.

ub posted:

Winnipeg was my ship 2006-2010. 2006 was a bad year - in addition to hitting Regina we also hit Vancouver on two separate occasions, plowed in to A Jetty hard enough to rip a Yoko off, and were adrift somewhere off SoCal without power or propulsion for over 18 hrs due to a severe engineering mishap. I was up top when we hit Regina in '06 and it wasn't really our fault. We were the last of four ships in and we were all late getting in as it was due to a mix up (screw up) with the tugs which meant that the currents around pier were so crazy the tugs couldn't deal with it. Good times, and good crew. :)

I know, the currents in SF harbor are brutal. I seem to recall that engineering thing too.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Payments-in-lieu of severance have dropped. Even for folks that elected the whole amount, which I was told could take years. So, I elected 49.9% Oh well, much smarter to have the other half waiting when I retire/quit/whatever.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
I elected to take mine because I figured the chances of me making it to a high rank are slim to poo poo and the rate of return would not be that great anyway. Even with the hit I will take on taxes I am still better off taking care of minor debt.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Same with me and I will pay less tax while im in AB too.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
They were saying it could be 2-3 years, I don't think anyone expected them to come so quickly.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
I did not get mine today.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just a warning to anyone getting out/already out and thinking about wanting to get back in - the requirements to join are way higher than they used to, and previous military experience barely helps at all.

I didn't even make the "points" requirement for infantry, even though I finished my infantry career with 7 years in and as a MCpl. Basically you could have three Victoria Crosses and still be ineligible :psyduck: . What they're looking for is apparently community involvement, belonging to clubs, cadets, etc, which add a lot more points to their silly scoring system.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

acumen posted:

Just a warning to anyone getting out/already out and thinking about wanting to get back in - the requirements to join are way higher than they used to, and previous military experience barely helps at all.

I didn't even make the "points" requirement for infantry, even though I finished my infantry career with 7 years in and as a MCpl. Basically you could have three Victoria Crosses and still be ineligible :psyduck: . What they're looking for is apparently community involvement, belonging to clubs, cadets, etc, which add a lot more points to their silly scoring system.

God why would you ever want to get back in.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

acumen posted:

You can redo the final interview without having to redo everything. My wife failed her final interview with a score of 62 when she needed 66 or something to get a job offer. She waited until a new round of hiring for her trade start and she redid her interview and got a job offer.

The recruiting officer actually told her where she didnt get enough points so she prepared herself better for the second interview.

Getting involve in a charity is pretty easy if that's all you need to do to get in again.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

acumen posted:

Also, be prepared to wait 2-3 years to get through the recruiting phase and make sure you pick 3 jobs that you absolutely want to do. I spent 2 years waiting to get going, only to be diagnosed with Keratoconus a few months before they called me. :psyduck:

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 1, 2013

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Frog 1.0 posted:

You can redo the final interview without having to redo everything. My wife failed her final interview with a score of 62 when she needed 66 or something to get a job offer. She waited until a new round of hiring for her trade start and she redid her interview and got a job offer.

The recruiting officer actually told her where she didnt get enough points so she prepared herself better for the second interview.

Getting involve in a charity is pretty easy if that's all you need to do to get in again.

It wasn't even the final interview. Apparently you need x amount of points to even start the selection process for each trade, and I didn't make it for infantry. I can understand being more selective when it comes to screening, but for returning members with no charges, disciplinary warnings, medical/administrative problems, etc. it's a little ridiculous.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Frog 1.0 posted:

What is this point system I keep hearing about for the final interview does the aptitude test and medical exam factor in? My interview basically consisted of a guy asking me easy questions about my expectation of military service, a few trade related questions and questions definitely designed to weed out psychos. This was back in early 2008 so it may have changed since then but they just told me that I made the cut, I was not a boderline candidate and I rocked the final interview...(which I presume they tell everyone who they present a contract to)

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

After my wife failed the first interview I was furious and decided to call the recruiting officer asking what the gently caress was wrong. My wife was a secretary and she wanted to joined as RMS clerk. Anyway he told me that we could meet up in person and he explain to me how the scoring system work. Basically your aptitude test + final interview is what decide if you are elligible for the job or not. The highest you score the best chance of being on the next course you have. Depending on how many people they need, the score are either highered or lowered. When I joined in 2004 the score for RMS clerk was probably something like 45 which is fairly easy to get. In 2012 it was 66. In comparaison, the score for pilot was 70 in 2012. The reason why is that they don't need that many people right now and they are restructuring the CF and are prioritizing combat trade remuster.

The recruiting officer have questions he ask everybody and they give a score of up to 5.

Exemple: Why do you want to be part of the CF?

Answer: I want to shoot guns and I think Rambo is badass = 1 point

Answer: I think the CF will challenge every aspect of my life to its fullest potential and I want to be part of something of my life that mean something and help my country grow and be a better place to live in... ect ect. = 5

In 2004 even if you answered you want to shoot guns for a living they would just hire you because they needed so many people. But right now, they are weeding out the idiots which is a good thing because quite frankly there is a lot of rear end in a top hat who would be jobless if it was not from the CF.

The recruiter also said that recruiting is base of the country economy too. Bad economy = horde of people wanting to join. Good Economy = having trouble recruiting enough people.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I got out in mid 2009 and when I tried to get right back in it was full. I tried again in 2010 and they screwed up and closed my file and it would take 3 months to find and reopen it. So I said screw it. With all the budget cuts creating less jobs and horrid economy providing so many applicants they are able to choose who they want. Heck I had people who were wit me in 2008 who were too stupid to be infantry, we had a guy who could barley see to shoot PWT on my DP1.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey, the forums work on the DWAN now!

Is it possible to have negative productivity?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

tuyop posted:

Ooooooh yeah. Sure as hell is.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

Uh oh

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pretty sure that's a websense hiccup. I could ask border services about it, but that may not end well.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

It's been working since they updated the filter a few months ago. The forums are unblocked, but YouTube is now completely blocked, among other things.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Freeze posted:

It's been working since they updated the filter a few months ago. The forums are unblocked, but YouTube is now completely blocked, among other things.

I was on duty one weekend when someone noticed they could watch youtube videos. Since we sure as hell weren't working it didn't take long to start testing our limits and figure out that there was next to no filter in effect. I vaguely recall a large part of that afternoon being spent streaming movies from some Chinese server and never having it catch up to us.

Frog 1.0 posted:

In 2004 even if you answered you want to shoot guns for a living they would just hire you because they needed so many people. But right now, they are weeding out the idiots which is a good thing because quite frankly there is a lot of rear end in a top hat who would be jobless if it was not from the CF.

I did my interview in 2003 and it lasted about 4 hours which I now understand to be pretty non-standard. :iiam:

tuyop posted:

No poo poo? It's probably another way to save money by having people identify themselves for elimination rather than having to actively search out those unfit for service types:v:. The first year of my career was one website after another being added to the filter list after I visited it so I eventually stopped going to anything other than news sites or wikipedia.

Speaking of ways to get booted, anybody try the new PT test now? I was supposed to do it last week but started leaking all sorts of unpleasant fluids and had to take like a week of sick leave.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 6, 2013

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

I was on duty one weekend when someone noticed they could watch youtube videos. Since we sure as hell weren't working it didn't take long to start testing our limits and figure out that there was next to no filter in effect. I vaguely recall a large part of that afternoon being spent streaming movies from some Chinese server and never having it catch up to us.

Late last year and early this year they seemed to be preparing to switch filters or something. It was basically wide open (or you could refresh a couple times and it would work). The new system is a lot more reliable, and some sites were unblocked. They managed to unblock a bunch of time-wasting sites, while also blocking a bunch of sites that were actually useful for work.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
The day they blocked theChive at work was a pretty dark day for 1CER.

Jeremy360
Jul 24, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Speaking of ways to get booted, anybody try the new PT test now? I was supposed to do it last week but started leaking all sorts of unpleasant fluids and had to take like a week of sick leave.

I've seen people that absolutely bombed the EXPRES test either pass, or come very close to passing the FORCE test. Even the grumpy old men don't seem to have many issues with it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Maybe that was the point.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I remember an article by some city newspaper about how the new PT test was a nefarious scheme by the Tories to surreptitiously reduce budgets by raising fitness standards under the guise of improvement so that thousands of individuals would fail, be labeled unfit for service and then forced out causing massive savings since you don't have to pay those salaries anymore.

It made me laugh O L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
In all reality it's just a good way to get rid of the 300 pounders.