Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Despite how exciting it is to talk for pages and pages about emulation and what we think Nintendo does with it. Earthbound is made by one of the most respected men in Japan, Shigesato Itoi. He is the fan club. They goof up a release of earthbound and they won't hear the end of it from rabid fans. Guy is Totoro dad, King of Iron chef, and beloved author and blogger. There might not be another Mother coming but if they can make another game with this guy... woo!

Nintendo isn't alone in quality control but they do actually care about it. Getting the Wii U out in a certain time frame was important to them, and since its update-able they released a bit more buggy system then they are used to for multiple factors. Some of those factors are the competition, previous system sales, being the first to get out what they see as an important addition to their development of games(second screen), and lastly its the most complex system they have every attempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I doubt some Nintendo manager was refusing to let Earthbound out of the gate until now because they were having trouble getting the emulation juuuust right. If they were that anal about it, the Wii U would have been delayed until it was finished.

You're switching gears a to a SNES title when we've been talking about N64 emulation, though. The NES and SNES stuff is most likely a combination of a small VC staff and/or strategic releasing, but the N64 is a legit massive pain in the rear end.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Supercar Gautier posted:

You're switching gears a to a SNES title when we've been talking about N64 emulation, though. The NES and SNES stuff is most likely a combination of a small VC staff and/or strategic releasing, but the N64 is a legit massive pain in the rear end.

Insert any N64 game into my post. It literally makes no difference to what I said. Nintendo can find ways to emulate their games, that isn't why so few games come out. Between port costs, licensing costs and actual marketplace demand, they're releasing the games they think will actually sell when Nintendo believes they will sell.

Mischief Makers or whatever game you want hasn't come out yet not because Nintendo is just so flummoxed as to how to make it work on an emulator. It hasn't come out yet because they don't think enough people would buy it to make a marked difference to the costs of paying whoever owns it, paying for the bandwidth to distribute it and paying what it costs to port it.

You can believe that if there were a game that Nintendo believes would make them money, they would release it. Look at all the N64 games out-- they sure found a way to emulate those because they knew everyone would buy Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time again.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
All this emulator and VC talk just reminds me that Sega will never get those old Saturn games out there like they have with their other console games. The closest we ever get to those in recent days are when Sega reworks a PC port that was made around the same time as the Saturn version (Sonic R), the more inferior Genesis port (Sonic 3D Blast, Virtua Fighter 2), or in the case of NiGHTs, it was based off a remake that was released on the PS2 that had control issues.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mercury Crusader posted:

All this emulator and VC talk just reminds me that Sega will never get those old Saturn games out there like they have with their other console games. The closest we ever get to those in recent days are when Sega reworks a PC port that was made around the same time as the Saturn version (Sonic R), the more inferior Genesis port (Sonic 3D Blast, Virtua Fighter 2), or in the case of NiGHTs, it was based off a remake that was released on the PS2 that had control issues.

Isn't that because Saturn games were designed really bizarrely and that Sega threw out a ton of their source codes for poo poo like Panzer Dragoon Saga?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

Isn't that because Saturn games were designed really bizarrely and that Sega threw out a ton of their source codes for poo poo like Panzer Dragoon Saga?

The source code issues seem to be the most common answer to the problem. There's a lot of rumors as to what happened to the source code at the time, ranging from some earthquake at the time destroying most of them, to Sega just not paying attention and losing the poo poo. Whatever the case is, there's also the fact that the machine wasn't originally designed to be a 3D console, only adding it after the fact when the Playstation was said to have it. There's all kinds of weird hardware issues with the Saturn, and it did weird poo poo on the software side of things as well, such as 3D being rendered in quadrilaterals instead of triangles.

The fact that emulation for the Saturn is still lovely, and Sega themselves seem to have no interest in trying to brings those to the modern era like their other console offerings, is driving the price of Saturn stuff up over the years. Game enthusiasts that want to try out those old games in their original setting are SOL unless they like shelling out a stupid amount of cash (me, I'm that sucker :negative: )

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't remember, do they generally update the eShop on Wednesdays or Thursdays for NA?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nintendo/M2 emulators tend to have a bit higher accuracy than ancient versions of UltraHLE riddled with speedhacks.

Nintendo's emulators are surprisingly poor quality compared to homemade efforts from ten years ago, much less contemporary emulators. UltraHLE's various hacks and drivers were a symptom of running on PCs rather than fixed hardware.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Toady posted:

Nintendo's emulators are surprisingly poor quality compared to homemade efforts from ten years ago, much less contemporary emulators. UltraHLE's various hacks and drivers were a symptom of running on PCs rather than fixed hardware.

Didn't Nintendo literally hire the two guys who originally made UltraHLE to do their ports of the Zelda Classics Collection and so on right after their threat to sue them?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 1, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't care how it gets done. Give me Shining Force III Chapters I, II and III on the Wii U.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Nintendo isn't alone in quality control but they do actually care about it. Getting the Wii U out in a certain time frame was important to them, and since its update-able they released a bit more buggy system then they are used to for multiple factors. Some of those factors are the competition, previous system sales, being the first to get out what they see as an important addition to their development of games(second screen), and lastly its the most complex system they have every attempted.
They had no reason to get a year's headstart on the competition, and for all the rush to get the system out, they're now lagging far behind in actual game development, so what good did it really do them to make us their beta testers?

absolutely anything posted:

On the flipside, If I'm going to pay for a rom I'm going to want the emulation to be accurate as possible. I don't care about waiting because if I'm really so impatient that I need to play Mario 64 now now now right the hell now I can just get an inaccurate version off the internet that doesn't cost me money! There's plenty of those everywhere why the hell would I pay for one!
Because I want to buy these games legally? Of course the answer is "pirating is so much easier", that's why I think Nintendo is going about this the wrong way. I don't want to pirate this poo poo, but they are gonna make me wait 2 years to buy Wario Land 4 from their shop so that they can slowly bleed out poo poo like Urban Champion and Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures first. How about just put them all up and I can give them money. I'm not going to buy Bayou Billy simply because scarcity has made it the only new release. I didn't buy The Croods video game because Pikmin 3 was delayed. That just doesn't work.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 1, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Toady posted:

UltraHLE's hacks were also a symptom of HLE, and the code was leaked ten years ago if you want to go look at it and tell me how great you think it is. I seriously doubt you remember what N64 emulation ten years ago looked like, or the giant compatibility lists full of red and orange boxes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Chronojam posted:

UltraHLE's hacks were also a symptom of HLE, and the code was leaked ten years ago if you want to go look at it and tell me how great you think it is. I seriously doubt you remember what N64 emulation ten years ago looked like, or the giant compatibility lists full of red and orange boxes.

I actually beat Mystical Ninja 64 on an emulator and I don't loving know how because the game has some of the worst slow down.

Anyone who has played emulators for a long amount of time knows you just *accept* problems in the games. Or maybe you don't realize you accept the problems. I recall the early days of ZSNES and having to switch layers all of the time. That said, I've been playing emulators since the late 90s and I still buy Virtual Console games because the emulation feels more accurate and it's just more satisfying to play on a Nintendo console. There's some sort of mental correlation that it's real unlike the third party emulator. Sure some games like Mario Kart 64 weren't perfect but it just felt right. I have no issue dropping the cash. Really, the only advantage in my mind that third party emulation holds over Nintendo Virtual Console is translated Japanese games or imports. Hell, the whole reason I got into emulation was to play Final Fantasy III for the NES in English.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
All this talk about perfecting the emulation sounds like empty words considering they released Mario Kart 64 on the Wii Virtual Console with you being unable to save your ghost data to the controller pak.

Actually, were there any games released that actually required the controller pak to save your game on the virtual console?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You also can't install the N64 expanded RAM Pak into your Wii, or use the GameBoy Transfer Pak compatible with Mario Tennis/Golf, but I think you're getting into another realm altogether.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chronojam posted:

You also can't install the N64 expanded RAM Pak into your Wii, or use the GameBoy Transfer Pak compatible with Mario Tennis/Golf, but I think you're getting into another realm altogether.

Majora's Mask actually worked on virtual console, it required the ram expansion.

I wonder if any N64 games on WiiU will support rumble, because they certainly did not on Wii.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

All this talk about perfecting the emulation sounds like empty words considering they released Mario Kart 64 on the Wii Virtual Console with you being unable to save your ghost data to the controller pak.

Actually, were there any games released that actually required the controller pak to save your game on the virtual console?

The VC release of Pokémon Snap also didn't allow you to take the game to a Blockbuster to print out your in-game photos, though they did add the ability to save and send pictures to other Wiis. Then again, even the legit cartridges aren't able to do the printer thing anymore, unless you happen to own one of those Blockbuster printing kiosks somehow.

I was thinking Cruisin' USA was another controller pack-only game, but that game allowed you to save on the game cartridge in addition to allowing you to save on the controller pack.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Because I want to buy these games legally? Of course the answer is "pirating is so much easier", that's why I think Nintendo is going about this the wrong way. I don't want to pirate this poo poo, but they are gonna make me wait 2 years to buy Wario Land 4 from their shop so that they can slowly bleed out poo poo like Urban Champion and Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures first. How about just put them all up and I can give them money. I'm not going to buy Bayou Billy simply because scarcity has made it the only new release. I didn't buy The Croods video game because Pikmin 3 was delayed. That just doesn't work.

Seeing Kirby's Adventure for 30p made me wonder why the hell aren't they selling the rest of the Virtual Console games at that price? I mean I love emulation and retro games as much as all the other cool kids, but paying £5-6 for an old old game is in no way attractive to me when I can pay the same amount on steam for something more up to date. I realise I might not be the target market, but poo poo you only need to look at Steam to see the effect of super low prices has on people.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Publishers have a hard time believing the statistics Valve reveals about the correlation between Steam sales and software sales, for some reason. So put those thoughts in your surveys and maybe even on MiiVerse. They seem to be reading them now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man don't even try on Miiverse. I saw a couple threads where purple complained about price and they were instantly swarm attacked by true Nintendo warriors.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I mention sales and free things in every single Club Nintendo survey, so you can thank me for the near weekly sales they have on 3DS eshop now.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Chronojam posted:

Publishers have a hard time believing the statistics Valve reveals about the correlation between Steam sales and software sales, for some reason.

Why? They don't notice a huge uptick in their own sales? Besides, just about every publisher/developer is on board for these sales.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I don't know if these are good games but Darksiders 2 and NBA 2K13 are reduced to under £16 on zavvi. It is a limited sale I think. BitTrap Saga 3DS is only £7.98 at the moment as well.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
New Rayman Legends trailer featuring a music level based on Eye of the Tiger.

I would comment more on this but I'm too busy loving drooling over this. September 3rd can't come quick enough.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Balcony posted:

I don't know if these are good games but Darksiders 2 and NBA 2K13 are reduced to under £16 on zavvi. It is a limited sale I think. BitTrap Saga 3DS is only £7.98 at the moment as well.

All three of those are worth picking up.

Also Shopto has Deus Ex Directors Cut at £25, which is a pretty amazing deal.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Balcony posted:

If you have any interest in franchise mode or any friends to play 2k with it's a must buy at that price. (I've only played on the 360 but it's a very good game)

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I would comment more on this but I'm too busy loving drooling over this. September 3rd can't come quick enough.

This game is going to be The Best.

Is this mariachi rendition of Eye of the Tiger something I can buy or did they make it for the game? Because it rules.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Balcony posted:

Darksiders II is REALLY good. The intro has a recap of what's going on with Darksiders 1 so you won't miss anything. II isn't as much of a direct clone of Legend of Zelda as the original, but if you like Zelda at all the games are literally Legend of Zelda plus more graphics violence. The first one even has a hookshot and boomerang. One of Jesper Kyd's best recent works too imo.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

That looks like a great deal, but release TBC? uh-oh...

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

This game looks and sounds amazing. I really love all the original music in Origins, and the Challenges App as well. Speaking of the app, it is fantastic. I hope they include an expanded version in the main game, but saying that, I'm impressed with how much variety the devs have got out of the 4 level environments they included with the app (and how difficult, but balanced it is). One advantage of it being free is there will always be plenty of other people to challenge, so long as they keep putting out new challenges.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Soooo.... uhhh..... the new Call of Duty was officially announced today, and the press release says "Call of Duty: Ghosts will release on Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC on November 5. Call of Duty: Ghosts will also be available for next generation platforms"

They might be lumping the Wii U in with "next generation platforms" but most other companies haven't, so who knows what's up with that. The pre-order page only shows the PS3, 360, and PC versions right now.

I guess we'll see what happens, but not getting the new CoD would be pretty bad.

In lighter news, Kamiya's Twitter continues to be a source of endless entertainment.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...Bon%252Btwitter

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wasn't the name Ghost spoiled because it was leaked on a WiiU package? I can't find the article because I'm at work but I could have sworn it was on joystiq or something.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well there's this:
http://www.examiner.com/article/call-of-duty-ghosts-wii-u-version-not-announced-console-left-out-again

quote:

Update: Here is the official response we received from an Activision representative.

We don’t have any news for the Wii U at this time, as we aren’t dating next generation platforms yet. Stay tuned.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Crowbear posted:

In lighter news, Kamiya's Twitter continues to be a source of endless entertainment.

For those not in the know, "Next week in game magazines" is Kamiya-speak for "Don't bother me for info about this game right now". "Next week at game shops" should have been taken about as seriously.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Wasn't the name Ghost spoiled because it was leaked on a WiiU package? I can't find the article because I'm at work but I could have sworn it was on joystiq or something.

Yeah, the first I heard of the game was a leak of the Wii U version's existence.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

That's encouraging. Kinda weird if there is a Wii U version and they aren't announcing it yet and putting it up for pre-order considering the Wii U is, you know, out and all unlike the PS4/Nextbox.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 1, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Does this mean it's entirely possible that Wonderful 101 takes like a long time to complete?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Does this mean it's entirely possible that Wonderful 101 takes like a long time to complete?

Possible? Yes. Likely based on Platinum's history? No.

The tweet about focusing on fun not length sounded pretty sincere, but with Kamiya who the hell knows. The man is insane.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

greatn posted:

Man don't even try on Miiverse. I saw a couple threads where purple complained about price and they were instantly swarm attacked by true Nintendo warriors.

Sure, I believe that. But if you instead focus on saying how much you like the 30 cent games and how you wish it would become a permanent promotion with a monthly 30 cent title, or how you feel the reduced upgrade cost is the price point that would convince you to buy a whole lot more. Everybody will "Yeah" a post like that.

Revol posted:

Why? They don't notice a huge uptick in their own sales? Besides, just about every publisher/developer is on board for these sales.

Various reasons, a lot of it being inertia or management/marketing not believing you can get overwhelmingly large sales without pouring millions into renting a theater to advertise your product to games journalists. EA tried to play the "devalue our brand" card, but even they've started to come around. Especially when they screwed up and gave everybody a ton of free games, the best marketing coup I never expected was actually letting everybody keep them-- more games means more people firing up Origin, and more people seeing their other games.

Which of course is an argument in favor of a cart system for Nintendo, since if you're hopping on to buy discount game X, you might see game Y you also want. Which is a driving force behind traditional retail sales anyhow.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Game designers should really just stay off of twitter. Except maybe Iwata, and then only if he's a bot that responds to any tweet with "*laughs*"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

The tweet about focusing on fun not length sounded pretty sincere, but with Kamiya who the hell knows. The man is insane.

I like insane people. Makes gaming fun again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Chronojam posted:

The quality of UltraHLE's source code is irrelevant. Ten years ago, Project64 was already out and well-known for its speed and compatibility. N64 emulation can be done at a high level, which is how Ocarina of Time could also be emulated on the Gamecube ten years ago.

• Locked thread