Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
So Anthony Bourdain has a new show on CNN that is pretty well done; for the first episode he goes to Myanmar. One of the things he does there is ride a train..

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

B4Ctom1 posted:

Here is a rare patch from my military service

That's a really cool patch, but I must say that the perspective is… a bit jarring.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ctishman posted:

That's a really cool patch, but I must say that the perspective is… a bit jarring.

Yes it was designed by Airman First Class Escher

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Crossing fatality dashcam :nms: for death thump.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=373_1366979875

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Crossing fatality dashcam :nms: for death thump.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=373_1366979875

Jesus Christ. I don't understand how, I mean couldn't you feel that through your feet? The train coming I mean.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

According to this news article in the comments, she lived, albeit barely (and who knows if she'll still make it):

Via Google Translate, http://www.4vsar.ru/news/35546.html --

quote:

Yesterday at around 19.25 in the Saratov region Rtishchevsky 16-year-old girl was hit by a passenger train "Vorkuta-Adler." Currently, she is in serious condition.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Jesus Christ. I don't understand how, I mean couldn't you feel that through your feet? The train coming I mean.

Electrics don't do that anywhere near as much as diesels do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And she could have had earphones on. Also teenagers are loving idiots who pay little attention to what's going on around them.

So glad she lived, that looked (and sounded) like a really bad hit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This happens a lot with people on cell phones / with headphones.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
People get retarded around trains. Its a common in large metro areas...

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

A Near-Miss:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=27a_1364631238

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

I'M FUCKIN' OUTTA HERE!

What the gently caress happened here? I mean how did this happen?

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also teenagers are loving idiots who pay little attention to what's going on around them.

This. I'm not saying I have entirely made my mind up, and I know this might be heretical in AI, but I'm actually starting to believe kids shouldn't be able to drive until 18, with maybe learner's permits at 17 and a half years.

Teenagers are incredibly immature and don't understand one iota the grave seriousness of driving a car.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Utopian Mind posted:

This. I'm not saying I have entirely made my mind up, and I know this might be heretical in AI, but I'm actually starting to believe kids shouldn't be able to drive until 18, with maybe learner's permits at 17 and a half years.
That's how it works in the UK, and, well, I'll let the Foreign & Commonwealth Office explain it: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/safety-and-security

FCO Travel Advice: United States of America posted:

In 2011 there were 32,310 road deaths in the USA (Source: DfT). This equates to 10.5 road deaths per 100,000 of population and compares to the UK average of 3.0 road deaths per 100,000 of population in 2011.
Although we also have much stricter vehicle inspections and licensing standards (and higher costs :argh: )

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

That's how it works in the UK, and, well, I'll let the Foreign & Commonwealth Office explain it: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/safety-and-security

Although we also have much stricter vehicle inspections and licensing standards (and higher costs :argh: )

If you have a pulse and an address, you can get a drivers license here in the states. Its terrible. :smith:

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

My wife put this on my facebook.

There is probably a "In Russia..." somewhere in there too :rolleyes:

that's an odd one, most only have a gear on one side

looks like something russians would do

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's a sorta nifty idea, the opposite helix cut of each gear keeps there from being any end loading on either the driving shaft or the driven/axle shaft from the gears, while doubling torque transfer capacity per shaft. Should reduce the need for thrust bearings in the traction motor or whatever intermediate shaft/gears mesh with those ones, I would think.

Shoktru
Sep 11, 2001
5 dolla text

Took this one day because they said to go, and this is about the minimum for a big train. Thought the gas pump light, like cars have, was funny first time I saw it, for 580 gallons.

SD70ACe's, we deliver new ones west, because we are on the way. They were not in service, locked cabs.

CNIC = children in charge (GTW old schooler coined that)

(when they first merged that was what they started with, now it is just CN)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Shoktru posted:

Took this one day because they said to go, and this is about the minimum for a big train. Thought the gas pump light, like cars have, was funny first time I saw it, for 580 gallons.

SD70ACe's, we deliver new ones west, because we are on the way. They were not in service, locked cabs.

CNIC = children in charge (GTW old schooler coined that)

(when they first merged that was what they started with, now it is just CN)

No more of those junk SD70Aces.... can you just plop em in a siding or something?

I didn't know there was a gas tank light as well! I will have to keep an eye out, but we have a service facility in our yard so it never gets that low, unless its a ratty SD-40.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
A nice, slow derailment caught on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yr5EztEPJS8

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Looks like he got steampunk'd.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why didn't the train turn onto the other track? Why did the track it was on just stop :psyduck:

EDIT - I see now. The rail closest the camera has a gap big enough for the wheels to pass through and so the train continued along the tiny length of straight track.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 30, 2013

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why didn't the train turn onto the other track? Why did the track it was on just stop :psyduck:

This is what is called a set of catch or trap points (depending on where you are from). It is a protection method designed to derail anything in the siding/loop/docking road before it fouls the main line (when the mainline switch is normal).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
And I assume there's a good reason for that, or are railway workers just big jerks?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
A controlled derailment is a lot less of a bad thing than having a crash.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo, dude.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

No Pun Intended posted:

A controlled derailment is a lot less of a bad thing than having a crash.

Yeah, that looks like a few hours for a crane and a recovery crew to pick it up and roll it back onto the track instead of, say, a few boxcars rolling onto the main line by accident and getting pancaked by a freight train doing 60.

Does railroading have a term like that old saw about "a good landing is one you walk away from"? Because that looks like a good landing to me, maybe even a great one ("a great landing is one you walk away from... and can use the plane again within 24 hours!") :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Gorilla Salad posted:

EDIT - I see now. The rail closest the camera has a gap big enough for the wheels to pass through and so the train continued along the tiny length of straight track.

It looks like, unless the footage is obscuring some details of that bit of track, that traveling across it is impossible in either direction without derailing :psyduck:

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

EightBit posted:

It looks like, unless the footage is obscuring some details of that bit of track, that traveling across it is impossible in either direction without derailing :psyduck:

Those points are moveable, much like the points of a switch, intended to make the section passable if conditions allow, ie, the signalman has permission to put them on the main. Catch points are actually fairly common. The Wikipedia page will explain everything in detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_points

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

kastein posted:

Does railroading have a term like that old saw about "a good landing is one you walk away from"? Because that looks like a good landing to me, maybe even a great one ("a great landing is one you walk away from... and can use the plane again within 24 hours!") :v:

There are no good landings on today's railroad (speaking of class 1's here). Even if nobody is hurt its a big deal. All accidents are preventable. Put equipment on the ground, go piss in a cup and enjoy an unpaid vacation :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Strawberry posted:

There are no good landings on today's railroad (speaking of class 1's here). Even if nobody is hurt its a big deal. All accidents are preventable. Put equipment on the ground, go piss in a cup and enjoy an unpaid vacation :v:

It's the same way with airplanes. Breaking your employers stuff is frowned upon.

Walking away from the broken stuff is still preferable.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Strawberry posted:

Unless you have job insurance like I do. Then its a nice 2 month paid vacation :)

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
Strange request for you rail guys; I'm an 18wheeler driver. Everyone has diesel train horns on their rigs, I want a three or four chime steam whistle. Where can I find one that's not a wallet smasher? What kind of psi commitment am I looking at outv of my existing air system?

Looking for the kind of whistle that the Strasburg Line has any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZgzRfa-xPQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit; Strasburg runs freight with steam, last legitimate steam freight operation in North America.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PFzR6AXLJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

0rganDonor fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 3, 2013

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I was out trying to grab some early-morning photographs along the river when this rolled by.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

bisticles posted:

I was out trying to grab some early-morning photographs along the river when this rolled by.

Hudson River? Pretty sure that is in New York state since that train is somewhere in northern Ohio right now.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
That first video, I understand EXACTLY why the engineer bailed. He doesn't know for sure there was not going to be a last second impact. Even an impact above 5 MPH can be fatal.

The second video when he whistled off I was looking at the "derails" (aka catchpoints) and was like, "no no no no no noo nooo! awww gently caress." :(

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

Hudson River? Pretty sure that is in New York state since that train is somewhere in northern Ohio right now.

Yup, on the West side of the Hudson, across from Poughkeepsie.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

bisticles posted:

Yup, on the West side of the Hudson, across from Poughkeepsie.

I'll actually see some of those cars around noon tomorrow at my terminal.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Tex Avery posted:

Those points are moveable, much like the points of a switch, intended to make the section passable if conditions allow, ie, the signalman has permission to put them on the main. Catch points are actually fairly common. The Wikipedia page will explain everything in detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_points

My favourite :psyduck: catch points are on the turning loop just outside Hammersmith station,

(Click for huge because its a bad photo)

Hooray you don't go on the up/down Picc lines, but you do end up ploughing through a cable bridge and into a sturdy pillar that holds the road up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

My favourite :psyduck: catch points are on the turning loop just outside Hammersmith station,

(Click for huge because its a bad photo)

Hooray you don't go on the up/down Picc lines, but you do end up ploughing through a cable bridge and into a sturdy pillar that holds the road up.

Somehow this doesn't surprise me at all.