Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Stanfield
Oct 21, 2010
I agree with there being no "worst track" on MBDTF. Devil In A New Dress is the perfect segue into Runaway in my opinion and is great if only for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think MBDTF is an album that has a bunch of good songs but turned out to be overall pretty forgettable. Like I actually forgot what half of the tracks on the album were.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It works best as an album, that is for sure. Ive always liked Devil though... Probably one of the few songs off that album that I still listen to. It is almost as if music is subjective.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

thathonkey posted:

It is almost as if music is subjective.

This is coming from the poster that just treated his opinion as fact a page ago.

Anywho, MBDTF only grew on me as a whole the more I listened to it so I'm really looking forward to what Kanye has in store. I don't even mind all the features; like I knew AotL had some guests (including Elton) but not a small army.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Not An Irish Monk posted:

This is coming from the poster that just treated his opinion as fact a page ago.

Pretty much everything I say about music is my opinion. Does this need a disclaimer?

(though I stand by my claim that So Appalled is objectively the worst song on the album. Everything else is up for grabs.)

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Really can't believe it didn't win Album of the Year at the Grammys. It's a genius mix of all of Kanye's previous albums and there's basically a song that correlates to a "period" of his, if you will, plus a lot more, and by far the best production of all of the albums he's made.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Cameron posted:

Really can't believe it didn't win Album of the Year at the Grammys. It's a genius mix of all of Kanye's previous albums and there's basically a song that correlates to a "period" of his, if you will, plus a lot more, and by far the best production of all of the albums he's made.

I agree. I loved The Suburbs but MBDTF seriously blows it out of the water.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I actually hated POWER for ages. I'm not sure if I still do. But I did.

Iroohik
Jul 25, 2007
As seen on nothing at all!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I used to love it but I've been hearing it so drat much since it debuted that now it's my least favorite. I still love the concept of it, but God am I tired of it. (I'm looking at you, Saints Row 3)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Power Remix was great though despite Swizz

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Actually, Swizz MAKES that track.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Play Saints Row The Third and you definitely won't.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
y'all just some major haters and some math minors.

Anyway, Kanye's performing on Saturday Night Live again in May.

So maybe he'll debut some new material, or something?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Drake Bate posted:

y'all just some major haters and some math minors.

Anyway, Kanye's performing on Saturday Night Live again in May.

So maybe he'll debut some new material, or something?

This is wonderful news, his first SNL appearance is easily the best musical performance I've ever seen on the show.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Honestly, I think Blame Game is the worst track on MBDTF, slightly in part to someone deciding to not seperate the Chris Rock skit into its own track. Why does Lost in the World get cut in half with the Who Will Survive sample, and Blame Game gets this completely dumb arbitraary and drawn out skit that is only funny once or twice attached to the song itself? I also think the hook is really weak. Good lyrics for Kanye though.

Also, every Jay Z verse on MBDTF is either mediocre or straight up embarassing.

I love MBDTF, but Kanye still has yet to surpass College Dropout in my eyes.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Agreed on all points but I like the song portion of Blame Game (partially cause I am a sucker for a well executed sample and Ye always delivers on this front). I thought in contemporary rap the skits were always separated onto their own tracks because producers/whoever decides such things finally realized that even the funniest loving skit in the world is probably not something you want to listen to every time you want to hear the song.

edit: But re: Jay-Z that's been the case for pretty much every verse in general from him over the past ~5 years although every once in a blue moon he'll go hard on a track.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 19, 2013

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Jay's only good verse since the Blueprint 3 is off of J Cole's Gold Watch.

I really like every track off MBDTF except Devin in a New Dress. I can still listen to that entire album just as easily today as the day it came out and this is the only track I skip. Monster, AoftL, and Dark Fantasy stand toe to toe with the best of anything he's done afaik.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Surprised people don't like Devil in a New Dress. That one has my favorite sample on the whole album, one of my favorite samples that he's done. I mean, come on, you can't beat Smokey Robinson.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I could see not loving Devil in a New Dress but I cannot see why it is skippable. The production/beat/guitar break are all quite sweet imho and even Rick Ross delivers a passable verse.

edit: \/\/\/ concur. I also usually skip both tracks dedicated to All of the Lights because it is just too showy/gimmicky/je ne sais quoi for me on repeat listenings. Really got to be in the mood for that one. Dark Fantasy (first track) and Gorgeous are probably my favorites to listen to standalone, ie. without the greater context of the album.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 20, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

It's like the third best track on the album. So Appalled, Hell of a Life and Blame Game are the skippable songs.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I actually like the end skit of Blame Game, because Chris Rock never gets old.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

epitasis posted:

It's like the third best track on the album. So Appalled, Hell of a Life and Blame Game are the skippable songs.

I loving LOVE Hell of a Life. And Blame Game except for the skit at the end which I always skip.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
The only song I ever really skip on MBDTF is Monster, and that occurs very rarely. All the songs people are listing as their least favorites are some of my favorites. The song part of Blame Game is outstanding, and the skit is about the only skit on any rap album I haven't instantly skipped when it starts.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

Surprised people don't like Devil in a New Dress. That one has my favorite sample on the whole album, one of my favorite samples that he's done. I mean, come on, you can't beat Smokey Robinson.

Devil in a New Dress is the only song on the album that wasn't produced by Kanye. Anyway, I gotta say Lost in the World is my favorite.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Bown posted:

I thought Devil in a New Dress was almost the unspoken official worst track on that album
i agree with this, but i thought it was popular around these parts.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Scorched Spitz posted:

Devil in a New Dress is the only song on the album that wasn't produced by Kanye. Anyway, I gotta say Lost in the World is my favorite.

Yo Rick Ross had the best guest verse on the album

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Devil in A New Dress is my favourite because it's pretty gimmick free, features a well-done Rick Ross verse (when he's good, he's very good) and isn't super long. It's just a solid, solid track that encapsulates all the good parts of that LP for me.

Runaway Love is another example of someone I'm not crazy about being well utilised. A good feature from someone I wouldn't listen to is always pleasant - isn't that why people love Monster?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Devil in a New Dress is also my favorite track on MBDTF. It's rhythmic, it's clever, it's catchy and it's consistently good, unlike most of the other song which all have a couple of weak verses or lame bridges. Second favorite is Runaway, which is a perfect masterpiece but inexplicably not my favorite. Third favorite is Dark Fantasy because I always catch myself whistling it.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

well why not posted:

Runaway Love is another example of someone I'm not crazy about being well utilised. A good feature from someone I wouldn't listen to is always pleasant - isn't that why people love Monster?
yeah bon iver loving sucks normally

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009

atrus50 posted:

Yo Rick Ross had the best guest verse on the album

As someone who is not a Rick Ross fan by any means, goddamn do I love that verse though. It works as a really great crescendo for that song.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
The guitar solo into Rick Ross' verse is probably my favorite moment of the album. It just completley took me by surprise the first time I heard it, and it's a hell of a guitar solo AND a hell of a verse.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Or a mess. Like All of the Lights. Kind of a gimmick imho. (But the LP could also be great like MBDTF).

Also Cruel Summer was pretty terrible but I obviously understand the difference between a Kanye solo and a Kanye produced.

Everyone's gotta have opinions in this poo poo.

E: My opinion is that I'm slowly thinking Cruel Summer is better than MBDTF

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 26, 2013

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Cruel Summer was really good. Clique, New God Flow, Mercy, To the World, The One, Cold, and Don't Like were all great tracks.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
New single by May 18th

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
And the album's finished. I'm hyped.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Cruel Summer was really good. Clique, New God Flow, Mercy, To the World, The One, Cold, and Don't Like were all great tracks.

I think the problem was more that more than half those songs came out months before the album was released so essentially all the tracks worth listening to were already available well before it dropped.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

thathonkey posted:

I think the problem was more that more than half those songs came out months before the album was released so essentially all the tracks worth listening to were already available well before it dropped.

The problem with Cruel Summer is that it would have made a kick-rear end EP. Just cut the thing off after Cold and it's hit after hit. The back end meanders far too much (although The One and the I Don't Like remix are pretty dope) to be worth listening to again and again.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

thathonkey posted:

Yeah, you're right about that. The hype kind of died before it even came out once the tracklist showed a ton of songs we had already heard. Hype seems to have an effect on how albums get remembered, at least in rap.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
June Eighteen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

NeuroticErotica posted:

If the baby comes and it's clearly not his "808s And Heartbeaks 2" will be the greatest album of all time.

I pray like a small child to God this happens.

• Locked thread