Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Feenix posted:

Not surprised as it struck me as an optimistic turnaround, but Leviathan Warships is not yet up and is further delayed so sayeth the devs...

I jumped on buying it when it released and I'm not sure how it works when they resubmit. When they resubmit it can I just delete the one I bought and re-download? Or will it appear as an update? How does it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Star command is pretty fun, but it can get hectic/difficult at times, especially when there are multiple things going on at once.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I jumped on buying it when it released and I'm not sure how it works when they resubmit. When they resubmit it can I just delete the one I bought and re-download? Or will it appear as an update? How does it work?

It'll just be an update like any other. It's only "pulled" in the sense that you can't buy it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Star Command: no black spacemen with grey hair allowed!

I heard the devs were jerks, but do they also have a secret AGEIST and RACIST agenda, hmmmmm???

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 2, 2013

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
drat, that was a quick Game Over in the Mars Mission. How am I supposed to deal with those numbers of enemies?

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

The iOS Games Megathread: He likes it! He likes it! Hey Mikey!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

JackDarko posted:

drat, that was a quick Game Over in the Mars Mission. How am I supposed to deal with those numbers of enemies?

I went with a tactical captain and 2 red shirts, so I was able to just set up a staggered firing line with a blue shirt healing. Pull them back one by one to ensure a constant stream of fire.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Weissritter posted:

I went with a tactical captain and 2 red shirts, so I was able to just set up a staggered firing line with a blue shirt healing. Pull them back one by one to ensure a constant stream of fire.

If you could indulge one more question that would be great. How do you repair your busted ship after a heated battle? Thank you.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

JackDarko posted:

If you could indulge one more question that would be great. How do you repair your busted ship after a heated battle? Thank you.

Use a yellow shirt, or have one of your other crew go be a yellow shirt for a while. Just move them close to the damaged/on-fire arae, they will automatically repair those in their radius (you see it pop up when you select them, just like with the red and blue shirts).

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Weissritter posted:

Use a yellow shirt, or have one of your other crew go be a yellow shirt for a while. Just move them close to the damaged/on-fire arae, they will automatically repair those in their radius (you see it pop up when you select them, just like with the red and blue shirts).

Thanks again, you're awesome. This game is pretty difficult, but very fun.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Just an hour or so into the game, but it is surprisingly fun and hectic so far. The ship-to-ship combat feels simpler than FTL due to not being able to target parts, but the repelling of boarders is really great. I do like how each ship weapon has its own targeting mini-game.

What setup do you have on your ship? I have the laser cannon and plasma torpedo, shield as my science slot rather than the healing bay.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Sorcery! is head and shoulders above the other CYOA games in pretty much every respect and I had a blast playing it - but I was able to finish in one sitting, there's not really an ending (being part one of four,) and the next installments apparently will be separate paid apps. For five bucks it's hard not to feel a little disappointed, if the following books were $1.99 IAP I could understand considering the overall quality but as it is it's a bit much.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is it me or does Star Command kinda throw you into the deep end pretty fast?

I lost my whole crew, captain and all. On the second mission. The boarding invasion was just too hard with such a small staff...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What are the other Fighting Fantasy things like?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Mozi posted:

Sorcery! is head and shoulders above the other CYOA games in pretty much every respect and I had a blast playing it - but I was able to finish in one sitting, there's not really an ending (being part one of four,) and the next installments apparently will be separate paid apps. For five bucks it's hard not to feel a little disappointed, if the following books were $1.99 IAP I could understand considering the overall quality but as it is it's a bit much.

How short are we talking here? Do the choices actually have much impact or do you get railroaded?
I love the look of this but don't fancy paying 2.99 for only a few hours.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Sad lions posted:

How short are we talking here? Do the choices actually have much impact or do you get railroaded?
I love the look of this but don't fancy paying 2.99 for only a few hours.

Meh, its $4.99. $2.99 would be pretty worth it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well it's $4.99 (unless you're talking pounds.) I was able to finish in one sitting, maybe a bit more than an hour? There's a whole lot of stuff I didn't see, I'm sure, like the magic system, and there are a lot of branching paths that should give replayability but I was still pretty surprised when it said "that's it, be sure to grab episode 2 when it's out!" Thing is, the graphics are wonderful (especially on retina iPad,) the writing is good, the combat is good, everything is very high quality. If only it were longer. If the following episodes are also 5 bucks each... well, that's a bit of a rip.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Mozi posted:

Well it's $4.99 (unless you're talking pounds.) I was able to finish in one sitting, maybe a bit more than an hour? There's a whole lot of stuff I didn't see, I'm sure, like the magic system, and there are a lot of branching paths that should give replayability but I was still pretty surprised when it said "that's it, be sure to grab episode 2 when it's out!" Thing is, the graphics are wonderful (especially on retina iPad,) the writing is good, the combat is good, everything is very high quality. If only it were longer. If the following episodes are also 5 bucks each... well, that's a bit of a rip.

Yeah, pounds.
So it just cuts off partway through the story? Ouch.
Think I'll wait for a sale on this one.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Seeing how the development on Apple hardware and apps goes, I downloaded the obvious Minecraft ripoff Survivalcraft and started it on my iPad 1. I fully expected my iPad to either crash or perhaps burst into flames.

So imagine my surprise when the game ran rather smooth and works. From what I've tried, it seems like a very competent Minecraft, with texture support and quite a lot of content.

So I guess if you're hankering for some Minecraft, without paying for Minecraft, Survivalcraft is alright. Even if you have ancient hardware.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Disclaimer: I did not Kickstart Star Command but I very much hoped for an average rogue-like space game on the level of FTL. That said...

I played some Star Command and boy... this game has a lot of gaps and shortfalls that impede the definition of "fun gameplay."

* Controls like rear end on the iPod touch.
** To clarify this point, moving people around is a hassle and knowing when an ability (weapon/dodge/whatever) is ready is an act of just tapping until it works.
** People sure like bumping into each other and getting stuck pathfinding AI!

* Lots of missing description/instruction, such as:
- No instructions on how the weapon mini-games work.
- No description for how to unlock other ships.
- No description for rooms that are already built, so you can't refresh your memory or know what already-built rooms are for.
- No explanation of benefits for having a captain in the bridge, engineer in the engine room, etc etc.
- Does having more than one person in a room make that room's function go twice as fast?
- Are shields supposed to recharge?

* Some room upgrade titles make me unsure what they actually do versus their humorous description that seems to indicate something else.
* Humans have a wide variety of body parts but aliens all look the same. Mostly forgivable but when you're associating a character's appearance with their job, this can get confusing with an alien crew.
* Sometimes your ship will take damage but there's no real way to tell that it needs repairing unless you pay close attention to what the ship is supposed to look like. I literally had a hole in my ship and didn't realize it was there until the next mission when people started flying out of it.
* When you're between missions, you're given all the time in the world to reload your dodges and repair your ship, but it takes just as long as it would if you were mid-battle. Why do I have to waste my time with this junk when there's no immediate danger? Things should go at like 3x speed when I'm safe. It's like warping somewhere in FTL, finding nothing, and being forced to wait 30 seconds to recharge your FTL engine for travel.

* A huge, clumsy fun-killer:
- No clear indication which room a person is assigned to. (It's the 1 room you can't assign a person to.)
- No clear indication a room has full assignments until you try to click on it to make the assignment.
-- These two points lead to an annoyance mid-battle. If you try to move a tactical person from one room, to battle, then to a secondary gun room, they can't operate that secondary gun room unless you un-assign people from that room (because it's full) and re-assign the person you've moved there. This sloppy design is less of an interesting difficulty curve and more of a fun inhibitor.

TL;DR - Converting my brainwaves into actions in the game is a trail-and-error, convoluted, inaccessible mess. The game isn't frustrating because it's difficult and rogue-like, it's frustrating because I can't simply do what I want to do in order to have a basic gameplay experience. Looking forward to the PC version!

Editing as I think of more points.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 2, 2013

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

DaveKap posted:

Played some Star Command and boy... this game has a lot of gaps and shortfalls that impede the definition of "fun gameplay."
* Humans have a wide variety of body parts but aliens all look the same.

I think that one's easy to explain.
You're playing a racist and all aliens look the same to you.

Star Command: Space Hitler Simulator

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Juc66 posted:

I think that one's easy to explain.
You're playing a racist and all aliens look the same to you.

Star Command: Space Hitler Simulator
That point was honestly the most forgivable in my mind, but it's just so... blatant; I couldn't help but list it.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I am playing Star Command, and not having but a couple problems. I'm playing on an iPad 2 though, which probably makes it a million times easier to control than a phone or iPod.

The major problem I'm having in controlling the crew is that when you select a person you either have to give them a move order or deselect them with the X at the bottom. So if you mis click, you can't just adjust your finger and touch the right person, you have to de select them first. This is a problem because they move around a bunch and in crowded rooms with small walkways (upgraded shield room) it's pretty hard to select the person you want.

The other thing that's a problem is the lack of information like DaveKap said. You have no idea what multiple people manning a station does, whether having anyone in the bridge or engine room does anything at all, how long things take to happen like charging a gun or producing an ammo token (all you get is a progress bar). Makes it hard to choose upgrades that all improve something by a percent when you don't know what the base value being modified is.

Despite this trouble, I'm having a really fun time. I cleared the missions you get when you (first?) leave the Sol system, and a couple afterward. The current mission is proving harder because of the inaccuracies in selecting people and where you want them to stand, because the boarders are a mixed and challenging group.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Iacen posted:

Seeing how the development on Apple hardware and apps goes, I downloaded the obvious Minecraft ripoff Survivalcraft and started it on my iPad 1. I fully expected my iPad to either crash or perhaps burst into flames.

So imagine my surprise when the game ran rather smooth and works. From what I've tried, it seems like a very competent Minecraft, with texture support and quite a lot of content.

So I guess if you're hankering for some Minecraft, without paying for Minecraft, Survivalcraft is alright. Even if you have ancient hardware.

I've been getting really into SurvivalCraft. It's fantastic because it really is the portable Minecraft experience that MCPE failed to deliver, and it's also fantastic because it's just different enough in flavour that it is possible to play it and enjoy it in its own right.

I played several hours of SurvivalCraft last night when I was at home, where the option of playing "real" Minecraft was right there. Exploring caves to find ore, getting nervous about maybe being ambushed by a bear (seriously, gently caress bears), and building up my stock of supplies for when build inspiration hits.

It's also just so drat pretty.

And suck it MCPE, actual explorable cave systems. Apart from my torches, this whole network (which is huge, I haven't found the end yet) formed naturally.

I'm honestly looking forward to spending dozens of hours in this world, if not hundreds. It's good enough to be Minecraft, but just different enough to justify playing as well as, or instead of. It sure as hell is the only viable portable Minecraft. If, like me, you bought MCPE and felt bitter and disappointed with how much it sucks, then SurvivalCraft is $4 of "gently caress you Mojang" that shows what can be achieved when a developer actually gives a poo poo.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Add another vote to the 'it's ok' pile for Star Command. It's actually kind of depressing because you can clearly see a great game in here somewhere. If they added some depth to the whole crew/room systems, added actual choices for the encounters such as not having to fight 100% of the time (maybe had some kind of random mission mode) it could be really good.

I think one of the reason FTL is so well received is it actually has a ton of nuance despite it's simple appearance. Pretty much every decision is important in it beacuse they have such a huge effect. Like, do I invest my extremely limited income on door upgrades to help invasions or buy a new weapon? The weapon would make getting through ships easier, but your rear end is grass if you get an event with invaders. In Star command station is pretty much the exact same so it doesn't really matter beacuse you're doing everything one way.

[e] Also the whole weapon mini-game is dumb as all hell.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
:siren: Crabitron has updated, and if you bought both the coin doubler and the coin tripler you get hypercoins. Not enough of you are playing this if I've got the highest score amongst my Gamecenter friends.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

DrManiac posted:

[e] Also the whole weapon mini-game is dumb as all hell.

I like the machine gun, it goes whiiiirrrrrrrwhiiiiirrrrwhiiiirrrrrrwhirrrrrrrrwhirrrrr ratta-tatta-tatta-tatta!!!!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
There's a lot of that upgrade choice in Star Command too. Do you spend tokens making your shield boost recharge faster? Do you upgrade the engine room so that yellow-shirts can put out fires faster etc. Every room has three possible upgrades, and those tokens all come from the same pool. You also need to use those tokens to recruit more crew as well. It's a good system, and works well I thought.

The minigames add fun for me because I go into them in an already flustered state. During ship battles I'm constantly monitoring a whole bunch of timers, making more ammo, transferring crew between stations, moving to repel invaders or put out fires, so when the chance to free weapons comes I'm usually hyped up due to the act of following all the stuff that's gone on. The games by themselves are indeed dumb, but when your ability at them directly affects your damage output, and when you ability at them is directly affected by your real-world physiological state due to the rest of the gameplay ... well then the dumb minigames become much more organic.

Disclaimer: I actually enjoy well designed QTEs in games, and I know other people have an aversion to them. YMMV. For me, needing to calm myself a little to get more torpedoes on target is more satisfying than a dice roll or a simple collation of stat points so far.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm actually really pleasantly surprised! I was prepared to hate Star Command, but I'm loving it so far; especially once you finish the opening missions and you get a bit more freedom to explore.

It's not FTL; nothing else will ever be FTL. But it's charming and engaging.

My favorite thing about it, though, is that the ship upgrade system could've easily been IAP, but its not. I'm happy to pay for future campaigns, but all of this IAP crap has been getting on my nerves. For only $2.99 with no other hidden costs, this is excellent!

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
My niggling problem with Star Command is the ridiculous layout and shape of the ships. The huge corridors just feel like they exist to make sure the pathfinding stands a chance, i'd much rather the ships just be wall to wall ROOMS (maybe the occasional corridor if it doesn't tile well). Practically half of your ship has no function.

This, combined with niggling asymmetry, just makes them not feel like 'real' ships at all. And talking of asymmetry, why can I only have 1 of each type of gun? Feels like a carry over from enforcing only one type of every other room. I want machineguns EVERYWHERE.

In the "unfairly compared to FTL" stakes though, the thing I miss most is a Pause button. I just lost half my crew because they shot out a wall next to where my Security team was bunched up, and the primary reason was that I couldn't tell all of them to move away fast enough with the fiddly controls.

There's a really good game somewhere in here, and hopefully by about v1.8 they'll find it.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
Got Star Command, and mirroring what most of the people already said, it's a decent game that needs more polish (even after the lengthy dev cycle). Controlling your units when they're packed together is a crapshoot, even moreso when there's no pause button for you to queue up commands.

I also hate some conversation choices that give you the illusion of choice, when there's really only one possible outcome to the situation. For example, I came across a new species, and because I couldn't understand them, the player just decides to blow them up. Despite the fact that there were 3 conversation branches beforehand, all with 3 choices.

In other news, DataDeposit seems to have stopped working. Nooooo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I also want more/better explanation of stuff in Star Comm.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I'm a dummy and don't understand how Star Command dodges work.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
When you hear the weapon lock noise, or see the red enemy targeting reticles on your ship, hit dodge. You will dodge and take no damage.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Why does my sick bay have the NO PEOPLE red icon on it despite having assigned a blue to it?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Finished "The Silent Age" ... decent game. The interface is simple. You tap where you want to go. You tap on objects. Items go into inventory as needed. Can be used with stuff in the scene. Nothing complex. The audio sets a nice mood. The NPC conversations are click through.

I played this on a iPhone5, there were some "tiny object" puzzles, but not too many to be annoying.

I'd still like see an adventure with a UI that was as rich as the one I worked on, in RTZ, but "The Silent Age" was good enough to get me to want to solve the game. The story is great.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I got Crabitron, it is not the greatest game ever, but it was definitely entertaining when I couldn't move my right claw to deflect bullets because it was holding onto and pulling my left eye.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So this Heads Up! game is pretty neat, it's got a similar party game vibe to Space Team but without the requirements of everyone having the game, an iPhone, and an interest in rejiggering the flux capacitor. I wish there were more party games on the App Store, as poo poo like this is really fun when you're out to dinner or whatever- http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/02/as-featured-on-the-ellen-show-heads-up-is-a-party-game-you-need/

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

SKULE123 posted:

I'm a dummy and don't understand how Star Command dodges work.

Crimson Harvest posted:

When you hear the weapon lock noise, or see the red enemy targeting reticles on your ship, hit dodge. You will dodge and take no damage.

In addition to this you need to make sure you have 'ammo' for the room before hand. Tap the room, select the Ammo button and a progress bar will appear. When the bar is complete a token will pop out, tap to collect it and it will be stored, and take up space, in your token inventory. The same goes for other rooms and weapons with special abilities.

This game has its flaws but hey shut up stop expecting it to suddenly become FTL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Finished "The Silent Age" ... decent game. The interface is simple. You tap where you want to go. You tap on objects. Items go into inventory as needed. Can be used with stuff in the scene. Nothing complex. The audio sets a nice mood. The NPC conversations are click through.

I played this on a iPhone5, there were some "tiny object" puzzles, but not too many to be annoying.

I'd still like see an adventure with a UI that was as rich as the one I worked on, in RTZ, but "The Silent Age" was good enough to get me to want to solve the game. The story is great.

Give Gemini Rue a shot. Rather moody faux retro point and click. A port of the pc version but well suited to touch screen.

• Locked thread