Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."

Fionnoula posted:

A checklist would be good, but also would need to have a memo function so you could add your own weird things.

Yeah I'm pretty sure a checklist feature will be added in a future release, and right now we do have a memo function--but we foolishly only set it up for medical. That's something we're working on changing in the next release or two.

raaaan posted:

I would like the ability to select which of hose functions are enabled/disabled ... and then have the ones that are disabled not clutter everything up.

This I think would make an excellent feature, and something Wuhao and I briefly talked about previously. I'm not sure where it stands right now on our list of items to address, but it's definitely a great idea and one I'm sure we'll revisit soon. Thanks :)

bamzilla posted:

I'll be honest I never used those apps past 2 months.

Could you elaborate a bit? (Loss of interest? App not useful past that point? Got into the habits needed yourself?)

We are definitely aware that there is a finite time our service will be useful to parents. But if we can pinpoint where/when that is, we can focus our attention on adjusting our designs and feature set accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

RGBRIOT posted:

Could you elaborate a bit? (Loss of interest? App not useful past that point? Got into the habits needed yourself?)

We are definitely aware that there is a finite time our service will be useful to parents. But if we can pinpoint where/when that is, we can focus our attention on adjusting our designs and feature set accordingly.

Personally, I never used any of the apps I downloaded because when exclusively breastfeeding I never had difficulty remembering on which breast he'd last fed or when I'd last fed him. I never tracked wet or poop diapers because he had well over 6 per day so there was no concern there. Now that he's getting pumped milk, we know how much he's eating (or not) and he's Mr Clockwork with his eating/sleeping schedule so there's not much guesswork there.

Basically we just never really needed any of the apps. We keep track of shopping lists and questions for the pediatrician using the notepad function on our phones.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah the thing with most of those categories is that you only track them as long as you're having problems, which for most people makes them temporary by nature. We only tracked diapers for a day or two after we got home because there was no reason to do anything more, we never tracked feedings because there was no question that he was eating enough, you would hopefully only need to track sleep habits for a month or so until you had figured out a solid routine, etc.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SassySally posted:

So my 7 month old Ben has not slept for more than an hour at a time for the past 2-2.5 weeks. Well, I should say he won't sleep for more than an hour without cuddles. If we're holding or cuddling him in some way he's fine, but put him in the crib or playpen and he's up. He does have a tooth that broke through (his first) and he's recently learned to pull to standing, walk along the furniture, and crawl instead of scoot, but I didn't think that would mess up his sleep for so long. He naps 2-3 times during the day for 30-60 minutes each and then I take him to bed at 10. He's usually in his crib by 11 and then he wakes up 6-8 times before 6-7AM. I would really love to sleep longer than an hour myself- any suggestions?

Our baby was a lot like that, too. Unfortunately, it seemed like nothing we did could fix that. It got better after a month or two. And then it got worse. And then better again. We shall see what happens next... but I'm afraid that it doesn't seem to be a solvable problem. On the other hand, it's not something you've done, it's just.. the way they are.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
At this point, my wife just uses the app for breast feedings (so she can remember which side, and more importantly to have a record so she can complain about how much the kid is eating) and for medicine/fever stuff, to avoid an overdose.

At a certain point, it just wasn't worth the time to us to keep updating it with all of her wet diapers and stuff.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

If they're really good, I could see the grocery list and doctor's visit parts being used for a long time, even if the diaper and feeding parts aren't being used. And even better if you can customize the interface to hide the ones you don't use.

Incongruous
Feb 11, 2003

Now there's something you don't see every day!
For me, an app with a growth tracker with a nice layout would be awesome. My daughter is 15 months old now, and I still occasionally use the growth tracker. I input the data (head circumference, length, weight) at dr's appointments and use it periodically when I'm shopping for stuff for her. Recently we bought a bike helmet for her, and having a starting point for head circumference was pretty helpful when trying stuff on a squirmy toddler who doesn't want to sit still for more than 10 seconds.

The growth tracker I use now really sucks, so I'd like to upgrade. :)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Incongruous posted:

For me, an app with a growth tracker with a nice layout would be awesome. My daughter is 15 months old now, and I still occasionally use the growth tracker. I input the data (head circumference, length, weight) at dr's appointments and use it periodically when I'm shopping for stuff for her. Recently we bought a bike helmet for her, and having a starting point for head circumference was pretty helpful when trying stuff on a squirmy toddler who doesn't want to sit still for more than 10 seconds.

Ooooh yeah I'd probably use that. I'd like to see the percentiles etc. But it would have to be metric.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

frenchnewwave posted:

Those of you with infants or who can remember the first year, do you buy into the Wonder Weeks thing? According to it, Vivian is in a WW stage that will last another 17 days. She has been clingy, fussy, and sleep is just a joke. Part of me thinks WW is just bullshit but the other part hopes that in 17 days she'll sleep through the night again.

I am a fan of WW -- our son tracked quite closely with the developmental timeframes they gave. And even if it is bullshit, it was very helpful for my sanity. In our household it went like this: on day three/four of baby clarice acting like a fussy jerk I would exclaim "I don't think I can do another day of this, we need to change X, Y, or Z thing about his sleep habits!". Then I would check WW and find that he was in the middle of a developmental leap. And it served as a reminder that he was just a baby, he wasn't actively trying to piss me off and be a jerk; he was dealing with crazy, weird, brand-new poo poo of his own and this was the only way he could deal with it. That helped me get through the crazy times and be a lot more sympathetic and patient him.

Good luck! This too shall pass.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I can second the "used it for a few months and stopped" for these types of apps. It was real useful in that initial time, but eventually we just figured it out.

But if you're doing a mobile app, don't worry. We still bought it that first month :) It's not like you're trying to build a game that will rely on DLC micro transactions. A customer who buys, uses it for a while, and gets rid of it, minimizes your support costs!

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

Amelia Song posted:

If they're really good, I could see the grocery list and doctor's visit parts being used for a long time, even if the diaper and feeding parts aren't being used. And even better if you can customize the interface to hide the ones you don't use.

We're definitely hearing a lot about being able to control what app functions are used/displayed, and its an idea we really like. I'm curious though if you might elaborate for me...what does a really good medical visit screen entail? For reference here's where we're at design wise (We're still implementing a completely new UI, and as such some screens haven't been converted over yet in the app):

(Some of the fields like notes and photos are modular and show up in pretty much every activity the app does.)

What do you think? Too much? Missing something important? I'm very curious to know what sort of prioritization another parent would have towards medical visits.

Incongruous posted:

For me, an app with a growth tracker with a nice layout would be awesome. My daughter is 15 months old now, and I still occasionally use the growth tracker. I input the data (head circumference, length, weight) at dr's appointments and use it periodically when I'm shopping for stuff for her.

rectal cushion posted:

Ooooh yeah I'd probably use that. I'd like to see the percentiles etc. But it would have to be metric.

I LOVE these activities. Probably because it's so fun to see the dynamic changes as your child gets bigger :3:

I also like the idea of tracking average percentiles, though where to do so is still a question I don't have an answer to just yet.

The screens below are snapshots of how we handle height and weight. We have a head circumference one as well, but it's still being built. Basically as the growth type is updated, the corresponding image of the child changes. So if on the height screen you slide your finger up or down, the photo of the child changes to visually represent those changes in real time. (Of course since they are mockups for the new design, they don't have some of the in app elements, like the actual sliders.)

Would something like this appeal to either of you? We're shooting for ease of use.

Thanks again for the excellent responses.

Edit:

bamzilla posted:

You kinda just forget to keep on documenting things. Forget to set the nap timer, etc. I guess you eventually get into the right pattern that works for you so it's not necessary anymore.

See this says to me 'Hey maybe we should offer push notifications for reminders on upcoming events/routines' or something along those lines. Obviously if the app isn't easy to use, or doesn't have value to it, people will forgo it's use. But if it's a matter of helping a parent to do things on a consistent basis, that's a whole 'nother story which we can hope to help address. Either way, thanks for giving me a better grasp on you reasoning!

Now on a personal note, I'd like to ask a question about my daughter and excessive attachment. Athena is 9 mos old, and has severe separation anxiety from her mother. I'm the only other person she'll consistently let hold/feed/play with/etc for more than a few minutes and even then, the longest I've been able to keep her happy and even keeled is and hour and half.

We've been trying to do short spurts of time where Athena is with just me or her older brother, and mommy only comes if she starts to get worked up. And we're seeing some progress. As I've said she'll hang with me for awhile, but with a very finite time limit. And once she hit's that time limit, nothing, NOTHING, will calm her down until mom is there.

With other people, it's even worse. Her grandparents on both sides can put together about 15 minutes between all of them before she flips out. How I can help her to cope with being away, hell even out of sight, of her mother for more than 5-15 minutes? Any suggestions would be much appreciated from the bottom of my ear drums.

RGBRIOT fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 1, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

RGBRIOT posted:

Could you elaborate a bit?

You kinda just forget to keep on documenting things. Forget to set the nap timer, etc. I guess you eventually get into the right pattern that works for you so it's not necessary anymore.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

RGBRIOT posted:

We're definitely hearing a lot about being able to control what app functions are used/displayed, and its an idea we really like. I'm curious though if you might elaborate for me...what does a really good medical visit screen entail? For reference here's where we're at design wise (We're still implementing a completely new UI, and as such some screens haven't been converted over yet in the app):

(Some of the fields like notes and photos are modular and show up in pretty much every activity the app does.)

What do you think? Too much? Missing something important? I'm very curious to know what sort of prioritization another parent would have towards medical visits.

I LOVE these activities. Probably because it's so fun to see the dynamic changes as your child gets bigger :3:

I also like the idea of tracking average percentiles, though where to do so is still a question I don't have an answer to just yet.

The screens below are snapshots of how we handle height and weight. We have a head circumference one as well, but it's still being built. Basically as the growth type is updated, the corresponding image of the child changes. So if on the height screen you slide your finger up or down, the photo of the child changes to visually represent those changes in real time. (Of course since they are mockups for the new design, they don't have some of the in app elements, like the actual sliders.)

Would something like this appeal to either of you? We're shooting for ease of use.

Thanks again for the excellent responses.

Edit:

See this says to me 'Hey maybe we should offer push notifications for reminders on upcoming events/routines' or something along those lines. Obviously if the app isn't easy to use, or doesn't have value to it, people will forgo it's use. But if it's a matter of helping a parent to do things on a consistent basis, that's a whole 'nother story which we can hope to help address. Either way, thanks for giving me a better grasp
on you reasoning!

I wouldn't care about the display of the baby in different sizes. A growth chart that showed how my child's weight and height falls on the percentiles of the WHO's growth chart would be very useful to me.

As for people stopping using the app, I think that's unavoidable. After a certain point it just isn't necessary or useful to track stuff. The exception is weight and size (to me). But like that other person said, people will still buy the app if it's good. I bought baby ESP and I've used it a couple of months. And even if I won't use it much longer, I still feel I got my money's worth and would recommend it or something similar to other parents.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

RGBRIOT posted:

We're definitely hearing a lot about being able to control what app functions are used/displayed, and its an idea we really like. I'm curious though if you might elaborate for me...what does a really good medical visit screen entail?

I'm probably a special case in that my son has a syndrome with it's own guidelines from the AAP. What I'd be interested in is having the ability to put in certain tests that need to be done at a certain time so they don't get missed. Because he's got separate guidelines to go by that pediatricians aren't using on a daily basis, I'm always worried that we're missing some blood or urine test that's supposed to be done at least once a year and something will get missed as a result. For instance, he's supposed to get his urine calcium checked every other year and his blood calcium checked annually. I just realized a month ago that neither had been checked in over 2 years, His hypercalcemia resolved at 2 years old (he's almost 6 now), but it can recur throughout life and can do serious kidney damage, so it needs to be checked periodically. With everything else he's got going on healthwise (cardiac, ortho, etc.), it just slipped everyone's mind to check it.

My problem with most apps has always been that it's all very cookie cutter. When you have a kid who doesn't fit into that mold, the app becomes useless pretty quickly. I need more customization, because your standard checklists aren't going to come anywhere near covering his needs. Also, as the parent of a kid who is completely on his own program, I'd appreciate if there were a way to turn OFF standard milestone checks. My kid isn't meeting those milestones, I already know that. It was kind of depressing to have it constantly in my face, especially for the first couple of years when *everything* is all about the milestones.

I stopped using the app I had because it got to the point where I no longer needed to worry about scheduling him - I could read his signs well enough, I knew the schedule well enough. I just tapered down using it as its benefit to me wore off. If it had functions that I still wanted to use (like medical stuff or potty training), I'd still be using it, at least periodically.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

That baby is unsettling and not cute.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That baby is unsettling and not cute.

That was my reaction as well. It looks like some kind of scary alien.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
The one on the scale isn't as bad as the one standing to show height, but yeah. The feet and the arms are a bit fetusy.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Agree that the WHO charts would be a million times better than the creepy baby.

Push notifications that the user could turn on and off and could set the timers on could be useful. I usually know when the kid needs to go to bed and I feed him whenever he wants but sometimes I miss the signs and then realize he's been up for 3 hours or something.

As an aside, I use BabyESP and the scheduler function is quite useful in realizing when the kid needs to cut down the nap numbers or how nap times are influencing bedtime.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

sweeperbravo posted:

The one on the scale isn't as bad as the one standing to show height, but yeah. The feet and the arms are a bit fetusy.

See I think the one on the scale is worse.

I'm not a parent but I love me some graphs so I agree, comparing being able to compare your kid's growth to the guidelines (or appropriate guidelines for their circumstances) would be neat. I also hesitate to suggest this because it is stupid, but I bet some parents would enjoy being able to compare their kid's growth with their friends' kids'. :rolleyes:

When my friend was pregnant they had a lot of fun with a weekly email that would tell them what fruit or vegetable their baby was approximately equal to in mass every week. I think that may be a bit beyond what you're going for, though.

Folks, I gave the app people permission to use this thread as a source, but if you find it distracting at any point let me or them know and they can set up an app-specific thread or discussion space someplace else instead.

Incongruous
Feb 11, 2003

Now there's something you don't see every day!
I think a nice, fairly simple graph saying what baby's stats are and where those stats fall on the WHO ht/wt chart would be perfect. Maybe even some way to predict where baby will be in x number of months. For example, my daughter has always been right around 70th percentile for weight, pretty much since birth. It would be nice to have some prediction as to how much she might weigh 6 months from now if she follows that same trend (obviously I know that can change as she grows, but it's still nice to be able to plan ahead a little).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You could also do some "fun" stats with height/weight/head circumference like "Your baby is now twice as heavy as when they were born!" "Your baby's head is the same size as a cantelope!" "Your baby is longer than the average length of a garter snake!" "Your baby weighs as much as a bushel of apples!"

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

Fionnoula posted:

My problem with most apps has always been that it's all very cookie cutter. When you have a kid who doesn't fit into that mold, the app becomes useless pretty quickly. I need more customization, because your standard checklists aren't going to come anywhere near covering his needs. Also, as the parent of a kid who is completely on his own program, I'd appreciate if there were a way to turn OFF standard milestone checks. My kid isn't meeting those milestones, I already know that. It was kind of depressing to have it constantly in my face, especially for the first couple of years when *everything* is all about the milestones.
I thank you for sharing this. I had thought we had pretty much worked our app out of the cookie cutter genre, as it was something from the start we knew we wanted to avoid...but you've shown me that there are definitely considerations we haven't even thought of because we've never been in such a situation that warranted said considerations. I appreciate that, and hope to better understand what sort of other needs your child or other children in similar circumstances would need.

Is there a resource you'd recommend that would help me to get a better grasp on some of the unique differences/challenges/guidelines for either being a parent of or a child that has special needs?

I can't promise anything other than I'll pass this on over to Wuhao for consideration. The children illustrations were one of the few things we had to outsource due to time constraints.

enitsirk posted:

Agree that the WHO charts would be a million times better than the creepy baby.

Push notifications that the user could turn on and off and could set the timers on could be useful. I usually know when the kid needs to go to bed and I feed him whenever he wants but sometimes I miss the signs and then realize he's been up for 3 hours or something.

As an aside, I use BabyESP and the scheduler function is quite useful in realizing when the kid needs to cut down the nap numbers or how nap times are influencing bedtime.
You definitely bring up some points we'll need to consider. I know we plan on (if they aren't already in the latest release) to use push notifications for just the kind of situation you outlined. As far as using WHO charts, I think they could be a valuable and highly used addition to our app. Finding the best way to do that however is probably going to take some time.

I think some one else mentioned ESP already, but I'll definitely add it to the interest list. Thanks for your thoughts!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

See I think the one on the scale is worse.

I'm not a parent but I love me some graphs so I agree, comparing being able to compare your kid's growth to the guidelines (or appropriate guidelines for their circumstances) would be neat. I also hesitate to suggest this because it is stupid, but I bet some parents would enjoy being able to compare their kid's growth with their friends' kids'. :rolleyes:

When my friend was pregnant they had a lot of fun with a weekly email that would tell them what fruit or vegetable their baby was approximately equal to in mass every week. I think that may be a bit beyond what you're going for, though.

Folks, I gave the app people permission to use this thread as a source, but if you find it distracting at any point let me or them know and they can set up an app-specific thread or discussion space someplace else instead.
You bring up some interesting ideas. We are considering doing a pregnancy tracker at a later time and the idea of weekly updates is definitely going to be included.

I'm totally on board. If people here feel I'm monopolizing the thread, or would rather just see this stuff in it's own thread please let me know. I don't want to take away from other parents immediate needs/questions.

Incongruous posted:

Maybe even some way to predict where baby will be in x number of months. For example, my daughter has always been right around 70th percentile for weight, pretty much since birth. It would be nice to have some prediction as to how much she might weigh 6 months from now if she follows that same trend (obviously I know that can change as she grows, but it's still nice to be able to plan ahead a little).
Predictive graphing...:aaaaa: I love it. I LOVE IT.
I'm going to have to do some research into this. While every child is unique I have to imagine there's some sort of basic algorithm(s) that can give a reasonable estimate based on averages or the child's prior measurements for short term prediction. Awesome idea, thank you.

Alterian posted:

You could also do some "fun" stats with height/weight/head circumference like "Your baby is now twice as heavy as when they were born!" "Your baby's head is the same size as a cantelope!" "Your baby is longer than the average length of a garter snake!" "Your baby weighs as much as a bushel of apples!"
We have a scores section, and I think lots of these would work well there, as they're right up the same playful alley. Thank you :)

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

frenchnewwave posted:

Those of you with infants or who can remember the first year, do you buy into the Wonder Weeks thing? According to it, Vivian is in a WW stage that will last another 17 days. She has been clingy, fussy, and sleep is just a joke. Part of me thinks WW is just bullshit but the other part hopes that in 17 days she'll sleep through the night again.

Yeah. Grumpy stages seemed to line up. I think she's pretty much left them in the dust from 4 months onwards though. The idea behind WW seems sound, teenagers get grumpy when their brains undergo redevelopment as well.

Question: How long from standing on their own to walking was it for other peoples kids. My daughter and mom went to visit relatives for a few days and while we were joking about her deciding to walk while she was away she has actually finally got her balance, stands on her own just fine, and just today tried a few steps before falling down. Will she be walking when she gets back or is it likely I won't miss her first proper walk?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Konomex posted:

Question: How long from standing on their own to walking was it for other peoples kids.

My son started pulling up to stand at nine months, he didn't walk until he was almost fifteen months. I can't remember when he stood independently, but I think it was a good while between that and actual walking too. He's always been the cautious type though ;) some kids are daredevils :o

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

RGBRIOT posted:

I thank you for sharing this. I had thought we had pretty much worked our app out of the cookie cutter genre, as it was something from the start we knew we wanted to avoid...but you've shown me that there are definitely considerations we haven't even thought of because we've never been in such a situation that warranted said considerations. I appreciate that, and hope to better understand what sort of other needs your child or other children in similar circumstances would need.

Is there a resource you'd recommend that would help me to get a better grasp on some of the unique differences/challenges/guidelines for either being a parent of or a child that has special needs?

I don't think there's really any one guideline. Every disability is different, so everyone is going to need different things. Like for instance, I need to track cardiology and nephrology things more than other stuff - blood tests, urine calcium-creatinine ratios, blood pressures, EKGs, echocardiograms. Other people might be more concerned with endocrinology, or neurology. My kid has Williams Syndrome, which has its own growth chart because as a rule they're small and don't chart on the standard chart at all (we still looked at the standard one because it's easier to get hold of, we just looked to make sure he was following the same curve as other kids...just way below the regular lines). I think it would be completely unrealistic to try to put in a different chart for everyone, so just the ability to toggle things on and off, and to put in your own criteria (and reminders...periodic testing is a pain in the rear end to manually keep track of) would be great.

Milestones are great - they exist to help identify kids who may have potential problems. But once the problems have been identified, milestones become pretty meaningless. I just took him for a physical this morning and there's a checklist...there's ALWAYS a checklist. "Is your child doing x, y, z" He's now getting to the point where he's only failing to meet about half of them, but there was a time where I would just draw a line down the NO column without ever even really looking at the paper. It's irrelevant information to me, he's doing *AWESOME* for a kid with Williams Syndrome. A constant comparison to typical kids can actually be harmful because you lose sight of where he actually is when all you can see is where he isn't.

Along the lines of the physical...Liam charted at the 20th percentile for weight and 22nd for height on the standard WHO scale today! A year and a half ago, he made it onto the chart for the first time at the 2nd percentile. He's recently (within the last 6 months) started eating grown-up people applesauce and yogurt, so I'm attributing his growth spurt to that. If I could just get him to start eating food that requires chewing instead of stage 2 baby purees, he'll shoot up like a weed! His pediatrician also told us that he no longer considers Liam underweight at all (seriously, I never thought this day would come!). His cardiology reports and most recent blood tests look awesome. The only hitch right now is his blood pressure is high - we're currently unsure of whether that's a case of whitecoat hypertension or if it's a real number. He HATES the sphygmomanometer, so it may be a case of him freaking out whenever they put the cuff on him. "NO ARM SQUISHING! ALL DONE SQUISHING!"

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
RGBRIOT:
One thing you might want to consider at a later point is all the caregivers who aren't parents. We just got our kid into daycare, and one thing we picked up while shopping around for one is that for whatever reason they all generate these reports of when they got diapers changed, what they ate, when they slept, etc. It might be super helpful to someone watching 6 kids if they could log some of that with just a couple button pushes.

SassySally posted:

So my 7 month old Ben has not slept for more than an hour at a time for the past 2-2.5 weeks. Well, I should say he won't sleep for more than an hour without cuddles. If we're holding or cuddling him in some way he's fine, but put him in the crib or playpen and he's up. He does have a tooth that broke through (his first) and he's recently learned to pull to standing, walk along the furniture, and crawl instead of scoot, but I didn't think that would mess up his sleep for so long. He naps 2-3 times during the day for 30-60 minutes each and then I take him to bed at 10. He's usually in his crib by 11 and then he wakes up 6-8 times before 6-7AM. I would really love to sleep longer than an hour myself- any suggestions?

So, I found this book really useful. I can't claim I did everything in it, or even that I have any certainty that it worked, but it did give me something to cling to till he started sleeping more. There's a lot of books like that out there, so you might be able to find something at a library to look at before you buy it.

The short version for us is that we got him used to going to sleep to certain music, and worked a lot on letting him settle himself down a little, though we'd still go back to rocking him to sleep with a warm bottle, because it worked, and we enjoyed it.

It probably also helped that we slept in shifts, so that my wife always got him from 8pm-4am and I got him from 4am-10pm. Usually he'd be up a lot of my shift, but it worked for us since my wife deals better with interrupted sleep, and I deal better with starting my day at 4am. That may not be entirely possible depending on your work schedules. Also, there may be some bitterness since both of us seem to think the other has it easier (I never get to sleep in :argh: )

Note on my question on Dentists. Thanks for the replies everyone. I think we're going to hold off from taking him for now, though since his uncle had a tooth come in from the middle of the top of his mouth, we might bring him in a little sooner than 3. We'll poke at the grandma to see when that happened exactly.

shadysight fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 3, 2013

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Konomex posted:

Question: How long from standing on their own to walking was it for other peoples kids. Will she be walking when she gets back or is it likely I won't miss her first proper walk?

All kids are different so it is hard to predict, but our guy was pulling up on furniture at 8 months, standing independently at 9, started cruising at 10, and was walking unassisted at 11. But he has always been big on moving, this kid never sits still -- he prefers playing while standing so that he can move around the room with the toys.

How do you define "her first proper walk"? A few steps holding someone's hands? Cruising along furniture? Walking X distance unassisted? If they are only away for a few days, I doubt you will miss her walking. But be prepared for lots of bending over holding her hands in your near future!

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

All kids are different so it is hard to predict, but our guy was pulling up on furniture at 8 months, standing independently at 9, started cruising at 10, and was walking unassisted at 11. But he has always been big on moving, this kid never sits still -- he prefers playing while standing so that he can move around the room with the toys.

How do you define "her first proper walk"? A few steps holding someone's hands? Cruising along furniture? Walking X distance unassisted? If they are only away for a few days, I doubt you will miss her walking. But be prepared for lots of bending over holding her hands in your near future!

Walking X distance unassisted. She does all the other stuff and she's a week shy of 9 months. She's been cruising along objects for a good 2 months now but she's gotten really good at it lately. Walking with someone holding her hands, even longer. Maybe 4 months. She's just been getting balance. Last 2 weeks she hasn't really been holding onto objects as much as before, just sort of placing her hand on them.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Chris was quick. He'd been crawling and pulling himself up on stuff for months, but when he finally got the courage to let go and stand on his own he was taking off into other rooms about four days later. First it was a couple short steps between couch and coffee table for a couple nights, then he would do 3-4 steps from couch to people, then the next day I watched him pull up on the end of the couch and just walk into the next room. He was 14 months at this point.

By that weekend he was strolling down the sidewalks, making it about 15 feet before plopping on his bum. That kid was so ready to be walking.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
On the other hand Nathan is at 14 months and has been cruising around stuff for at least 4. He likes to shove things around to help him, walkers or otherwise, but he just does not see the point to walking.

He sure can swim though.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Our daughter is 11 months, and she only in the past month really started figuring out how to shift her weight unassisted--though she's been cruising and standing on her own for a while yet. We probably have a month or two before she starts really walking. But she also seems to really want to walk--she was very frustrated when she couldn't crawl, and now she's clearly frustrated at having to get down to crawl somewhere else.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Konomex posted:

Walking X distance unassisted. She does all the other stuff and she's a week shy of 9 months. She's been cruising along objects for a good 2 months now but she's gotten really good at it lately. Walking with someone holding her hands, even longer. Maybe 4 months. She's just been getting balance. Last 2 weeks she hasn't really been holding onto objects as much as before, just sort of placing her hand on them.

Well she does sound like she is on the accelerated track for walking, so it probably will be soon. But as soon as you think you have your kids figured out they do something completely different -- to let you know that you are not actually in charge of anything. So who knows? It could be quite some time still.

Best of luck!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

shadysight posted:

RGBRIOT:
One thing you might want to consider at a later point is all the caregivers who aren't parents. We just got our kid into daycare, and one thing we picked up while shopping around for one is that for whatever reason they all generate these reports of when they got diapers changed, what they ate, when they slept, etc. It might be super helpful to someone watching 6 kids if they could log some of that with just a couple button pushes.

That is a really good idea. Lots of apps that my wife and I looked at had the ability to track multiple babies and sync kids between devices, but my memory is that they were all geared towards parents with multiple children or multiple caregivers of a family's worth of kids. The ability to have a "friend code" for your kid that allows users to push updates to all devices with that code seems really useful. (Though my wife, who works in the childcare business, has said that she would rather just write notes on paper and give the hard copy to parents at the end of the day. Luddite! :argh: )

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Konomex posted:

Question: How long from standing on their own to walking was it for other peoples kids. My daughter and mom went to visit relatives for a few days and while we were joking about her deciding to walk while she was away she has actually finally got her balance, stands on her own just fine, and just today tried a few steps before falling down. Will she be walking when she gets back or is it likely I won't miss her first proper walk?

My daughter was pulling up around 9 1/2, 10 months and was walking before a year. It'll vary.

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

shadysight posted:

RGBRIOT:
For sure! We are already including family members, nannies, and trusted friends. I imagine with some consideration we could retool to help with say a class room amount of kids. Any more than that and I think we'd be looking at a separate iteration of our app. We'll see though! Thanks for the suggestion.

Grundulum posted:

That is a really good idea. Lots of apps that my wife and I looked at had the ability to track multiple babies and sync kids between devices, but my memory is that they were all geared towards parents with multiple children or multiple caregivers of a family's worth of kids. The ability to have a "friend code" for your kid that allows users to push updates to all devices with that code seems really useful. (Though my wife, who works in the childcare business, has said that she would rather just write notes on paper and give the hard copy to parents at the end of the day. Luddite! :argh: )
Currently we don't much differentiate between users. Every action posted is attributed to the user logged in, so it's easy to identify which 'story' was posted by whom. The only difference we focus on at the moment is who the account holder or holders is/are. They are the only one's who can do things like delete children, remove other users, etc. As far as who receives the updates...we collate all 'stories' into one place for any one on the account to view. Push notes go to account holders based off of their settings. (So say the emergency button is pushed, every account holder gets notified. That way if Mom or Dad don't have their phone for some reason, or have push notes turned off, Gram and Gran or Aunt Sue can still respond as needed.)

I never understood why some people would rather write out incident reports and have to hand out like a stack of 10-20 of them at the end of every day, when digitally all those parents could be instantly notified and verify they saw the report. But hey, to each there own. If/when we do expand into daycare's and similar institutes, this is definitely something we'll be including in our feature set. Thanks for jumping in!

RGBRIOT fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 4, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Hi parenting thread! We're migrating over from the pregnancy/newborn thread since my son will be 3 months on the 15th.

Plus, I figured you'd be a better group to ask - I'm flying home at the end of this month, alone with my son, about a week after he turns 3 months. I didn't tell his pediatrician at his last visit, because I didn't think it mattered, but some friends make it seem like it does. Since he's on track with everything, we don't have a reason to go back, so won't be seeing the pediatrician until June. Do I need (or should I) call his office to let them know? It's a short trip (6 days 5 nights), and the flights are relatively short with good amounts of layover time in between.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

Hi parenting thread! We're migrating over from the pregnancy/newborn thread since my son will be 3 months on the 15th.

Plus, I figured you'd be a better group to ask - I'm flying home at the end of this month, alone with my son, about a week after he turns 3 months. I didn't tell his pediatrician at his last visit, because I didn't think it mattered, but some friends make it seem like it does. Since he's on track with everything, we don't have a reason to go back, so won't be seeing the pediatrician until June. Do I need (or should I) call his office to let them know? It's a short trip (6 days 5 nights), and the flights are relatively short with good amounts of layover time in between.

No, there's no need to call.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Lullabee posted:

I don't see why you would. My son's disabled and has a heart condition. I've never told his pediatrician when we were going out of town. Frankly, it's never occurred to me that I might need to and he's never said anything to that effect when I've mentioned trips after the fact (like our 2 month long road trip across the country and back last summer, or any of the times we've flown back east).

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Hey Fionnoula, I think I recall you saying that the marbling in Liam's eyes was a distinctive feature of Williams Syndrome, is it generally only found in people with that condition?

I just ask because I saw a little girl at the supermarket last night and she had the most interesting eyes, they were a really pale blue - like an ice blue - and they looked like they may have had a bit of marbling in them, but I wasn't sure (they were so light in colour the white marble didn't stand out as well as Liam's) and I thought it was a bit creepy to stare to check it out more thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Lullabee posted:

We only told our ped when we were going to be flying at 7 weeks so he could get his 2 month vaccinations beforehand. If he's had those vaccinations and has no issues there's no reason to say anything.