Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

BoostCreep posted:

Didn't need those anyway.

That looks like someone's special effects project. Why do the front wheels re-materialize when he hits the wall?

edit: VV now I see it.

obso fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
They don't. That's the front wing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

That's a solid axle rear. Or, was. It's kinda bosozuku/hellaflush now...

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

That was a solid axle rear. Or, was. It's kinda bosozuku/hellaflush now...

Looks like the lugs failed? The drum seems to be in it's normal orientation.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

obso posted:

That looks like someone's special effects project. Why do the front wheels re-materialize when he hits the wall?

It's a very famous mechanical failure from a few years ago. It was spontaneous front suspension failure. I love the driver's statement on the incident.

Buemi posted:

From in the car it was not a problem. I just lost both wheels.

Which reminds me of...

Murray Walker posted:

There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.

Article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8624282.stm

Speaking of failure... I found a severed arm at Monza.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

Looks like the lugs failed? The drum seems to be in it's normal orientation.

I think those are the shoes and backing plate you're seeing, but I'm not entirely sure. Let me check his facebook real quick...

e: no, he joined the "I should tighten my lug nuts to spec or more often" club. Whoops :downs:

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 29, 2013

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Previa_fun posted:

The best part is when he still counter steers. :v:

"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes! Hey, better try the emergency brake!"

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kastein posted:

I think those are the shoes and backing plate you're seeing, but I'm not entirely sure. Let me check his facebook real quick...

e: no, he joined the "I should tighten my lug nuts to spec or more often" club. Whoops :downs:

Tighten your caliper bolts to spec as well :eng99:

Don't mock the e-brake, when your braking system loses pressure that's all you've got...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Don't mock the e-brake, when your braking system loses pressure that's all you've got...

Unless you've got a push-button electric parking brake. Which makes brilliant sense :rolleye:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Das Volk posted:

I drove a Beretta which suffered complete master cylinder failure...I kept driving it for another 8 months using the e-brake, downshifting the automatic transmission and being stupendously alert until I could afford to replace the car.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I used to own a 97 Ford Ranger. One day after getting an alignment job done, the driver's side brake caliper lost both bolts and locked itself to the rotor, and spun around until stopped by the shield. I was about 80 miles from home in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Washington. The front wheels locked up.
Making matters worse, it was a Sunday. Tow truck rates were completely out of my price range at the time.
I managed to remove the caliper assembly from the rotor and tied it to something in the engine bay so that it was out of the way of the wheel and suspension.
Then I proceeded to drive home, using the manual transmission and e-brake to slow me down.
It was nerve-wracking and I'd probably never do it again, but there you go.

EDIT: The shop never admitted that their alignment job could have anything to do with it. Those bolts were some special safety grade that cost $20/each at the dealership.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

I used to own a 97 Ford Ranger. One day after getting an alignment job done, the driver's side brake caliper lost both bolts and locked itself to the rotor, and spun around until stopped by the shield. I was about 80 miles from home in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Washington. The front wheels locked up.
Making matters worse, it was a Sunday. Tow truck rates were completely out of my price range at the time.
I managed to remove the caliper assembly from the rotor and tied it to something in the engine bay so that it was out of the way of the wheel and suspension.
Then I proceeded to drive home, using the manual transmission and e-brake to slow me down.
It was nerve-wracking and I'd probably never do it again, but there you go.

EDIT: The shop never admitted that their alignment job could have anything to do with it. Those bolts were some special safety grade that cost $20/each at the dealership.

I would have done the removal of the caliper, but wired a block of wood or something into the caliper to keep the piston from popping out so I still had brakes on the rest of the wheels. Yeah, dangerous as hell with braking only on one side of the front axle, but better than what you went through, I think.

And after multiple instances of my brother not cinching down the caliper bracket or caliper bolts resulting in my caliper grinding on either the rotor or the wheel, I banned him from ever touching another bolt on the car that had anything to do with my life ever again without me touching it afterward. I even asked the sonofabitch "Did you tighten down all the bolts on the caliper over there?" "Yeah" :jerkbag:

The dumbshit was me for believing him. If you want something right, do it your drat self. It's the only way to be sure. I try not to distrust mechanics too much but I'm just paranoid after all the poo poo I've been through where someone else touches the car and something goes wrong. I'm lucky to have cultivated good relationships with various shops around town that will let me in the garage area, so I can watch what the gently caress they're doing under the guise of me chatting with the grease monkeys. The guy that used an impact on my brand-loving-new 90mm wheel studs and crossthreaded one of them not two days after the install got chewed the gently caress out by me AND the manager who I was having a smoke with. Just because they're bulletnose studs doesn't mean you can just hammer them on without at least making sure the thread is engaged the first half turn you ignorant sonsabitches :argh:

EDIT: Holy wall-o-text do I get mad about cars...

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 29, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Beach Bum posted:

I would have done the removal of the caliper, but wired a block of wood or something into the caliper to keep the piston from popping out so I still had brakes on the rest of the wheels. Yeah, dangerous as hell with braking only on one side of the front axle, but better than what you went through, I think.

I think that in that situation, you should take the time to block the other side's caliper as well; you'll have seriously reduced braking, but not steering-by-pedal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAZsoeXYVE

From a friend in my XJ group:

'I had a customer car come in with a complaint of a transmission fluid leak. It was bad news all around- Dodge Neon (delicate transmission to start with), driven until it wouldn't go any further, then pushed off the road. We pushed it into the shop and I pulled the dipstick...full. Well, actually over full. And very pink and milky. Pulled the radiator cap...more milky pink substance. The trans cooler inside the radiator leaked. My first response, armed with all the info I just typed, was that the tranny is damaged, the coolant will never get completely out of the torque converter, and they better be looking for a transmission. Being this was a 10 year old Neon with two broken motor mounts, rusted rockers, bad struts and a couple broken springs...my suggestion was to scrap it.

Of course nobody likes to hear that..."but I have so much money invested in it..."...yea, well, cut your losses, because after spending $1500+ you'll still have a $500 car. So they insisted that I replace the radiator. If it weren't a quiet week so far I would have turned them away. Nope, they insisted. I said the best I could do without pulling the tranny would be to flush it several times, replace the radiator & flush the cooling system, and hope for the best...if it moves afterward, trade it in, NOW.

Well I did what I could...here is what came out as I loosened the transmission pan. I was surprised that it actually moved under it's own power when I was done, but I did have them sign the invoice, where I had filled in what I had found, that there is a high chance that the transmission is damaged, and there is no warranty on my work on this job.'

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo, would you like some transmission fluid with your radiator fluid? That's insane.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

I live and work for the most part in Maryland. I was up in New York about 100yrds from entering the Holland Tunnel and I heard a pop as I pressed the brake pedal to slow for the merge entering the NYC side of the tunnel. Managed to not hit anyone and kept it geared down and moving slow all the way through the tunnel into Jersey City and got into the first fuel station so I could look to see what happened. Thats not supposed to be peeking out like that is it :v? So 300 miles from home what do you do when you've lost the brakes? Well a wrecker would have been expensive. But a pair of needle nose vice grips, some cloth electrical tape and a few things of DOT3 aren't. Clamped off the line visible there, taped the handle shut on the vice grips and taped the vice grips to the line, topped off reservoir and away I went. Wasn't the most fun driving home from NYC I've ever had but the view of 301 in DE is nice this time of year (to avoid all the scales and DOT).

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
When I had my RX-7, I was about 50 miles from my house when, after gently hitting my brakes to slow down a little, the front right caliper decided to clamp down on the rotor and not let go. Since I had left my toolbox at home, all I had was a screwdriver, a 4 way, and a pair of pliers. I was lucky enough to have wheels that were pretty open-faced, so I was able to use the screwdriver and 4 way to beat the caliper & pad enough to release its' grip on the rotor. I spent the next 2 1/2 hours driving at 25 mph with my cautions on and trying not to use the brakes if at all possible. Every time I had to use the brakes, I ended up pulling over and beating the hell out of the caliper. Got home & replaced the caliper. Evidently, the caliper had somehow created a notch in the sliding pins. When I would hit the brakes, the small notch was enough to lock the caliper in place.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

Sir Nigel posted:

Wasn't the most fun driving home from NYC I've ever had but the view of 301 in DE is nice this time of year (to avoid all the scales and DOT).

Middletown? Of all the places you pick in Delaware to call nice, you pick Middletown? Try driving through The Valley in North Wilmington. So much nicer.

Dizman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 2, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Since we're all on the topic of brake failure stories... best I've got is my GMC, better part of a decade before I was old enough to drive it. My dad had a chain put a dual exhaust on it as part of the first restoration, but they didn't make the hoop over the rear axle very tall. My dad also liked to overload the damned thing, and took my brother with him to get a literal bed-full of manure for some landscaping - basically filled it up until the rear end was drat near on the bump stops.

Well, because that hoop wasn't very tall, it came in contact with the soft brake hose between the frame and the rear end and burned a hole in it. This caused the truck to dump most of its brake fluid. He managed to get it stopped with what was left of the front drum brakes, the parking brake, and downshifting the three-on-the-tree.

Suffice it to say I was not allowed to even pull it out of the driveway (~10 years later) until after we had gone over the rear brakes with a fine-toothed comb, and swapped the front drums for discs.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Dizman posted:

Middletown? Of all the places you pick in Delaware to call nice, you pick Middletown? Try driving through The Valley in North Wilmington. So much nicer.

Eh compared to the trek down 95 the trip of 301 down the Eastern Shore is quite nice this time of year.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I got very lucky with a brake failure. I was driving my father's piece of poo poo 93 S10 Pickup. I got in, started it up, and then realized that I really wanted to slide the seat back a little bit. The mechanism to do that is completely screwed up, so he has a pair of vice clamps attached to the wire that normally the little handle thing would pull on. So I grab the vice clamps and try to pull that forward while pushing the seat backwards. It's not really working, and what I probably needed to do was pull forward on the cable better, but mostly I was just pushing backwards on the seat harder and harder, until all of a sudden the brake pedal I was pushing against completely falls to the floor. One of the brake lines had completely rusted through and burst from the pressure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've had a master cylinder decide it had no interest in sealing 'twixt piston and bore coming up to a roundabout, and an ABS system that thought randomly turning off a front caliper was amusing.

All other brake issues I've had have been a variation on "caliper is now on, and has decided it wants to stay that way".

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Let me tell you about the time I boiled my Super Blue brake fluid...

There's actually not much to it. I boiled it, the pedal went to the floor for a couple pumps, I lived. It happened in a great place, all things considered.

I have helmetcam footage of it somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up so you guys can have a laugh.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I had my master brake cylinder go out at 1 PM on the Washington Beltway as I was driving from North Carolina to New Jersey.

Fortunately, I was in the left most lane so I made it onto the shoulder without hitting anyone.
Unfortunately, I spent my weekend being pissed off in a hotel because the parts store was closed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've had a metal line rust out and blow up 4? 5? times on different vehicles. First two times on my first rustbucket, I learned my lesson and started replacing anything that looked rusty at all after that. Next time was on the dodge van I had for a while, it blew a line in the least visible spot on the entire vehicle... ended up scrapping that one because it had other issues and no redeeming qualities, really. And the last time was on my blue comanche which is in extended project / yard art mode, so I just let it sit for a while and then replaced all the lines that had anything beyond basic surface rust. At least that one did me a favor and the line exploded when I brushed into it with the new gas tank while installing it, rather than doing it while I was driving it.

I've learned that anything I buy needs to have all the brake lines that look sketchy done the second I get it home if not sooner. I don't have good luck with brake lines rotting out.

Oh, and I had a caliper stick on me a few weeks ago. No big deal, limped it a few miles home using the same goofy methods everyone else did, slapped a spare caliper on it the next morning.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

My father once had a caliper bolt back out on his '92 Camry as he was crossing the Tappan Zee.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My other brake failure story was on a 1972 Dodge Ram Pickup, the right front brake caliper froze. It was December in Wisconsin and we had snow down so I said gently caress it and kept driving to work. The wheel skied there on the loose powder.

(Once I got to work, I beat on it with a hammer until it let go. Then blocked it until I could get it fixed.)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
$500 black rattlecanned 4 door 77 nova. First road trip away from home. Hot Springs, AR to Chicago, for a giiiiiirl with nothing but $300 in cash to my name.

Around St. Louis I brake hard and blew a rear brake cylinder. Pedal mush.

Eventually I figure out that I can pump it up and somewhat slow down, for a bit, with the assistance of downshifting and e-brake. Managed to make it without incident - I left at 5pm and this all happened overnight, so traffic was light, got there without incident at about 4am. The next morning we traipsed down to the nearest parts store and i got the silly $14 part and changed it in her driveway while basically teaching myself how drum brakes work. Still miss that fuckin' car sometimes.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Jonny 290 posted:

$500 black rattlecanned 4 door 77 nova. First road trip away from home. Hot Springs, AR to Chicago, for a giiiiiirl with nothing but $300 in cash to my name.

Around St. Louis I brake hard and blew a rear brake cylinder. Pedal mush.

Eventually I figure out that I can pump it up and somewhat slow down, for a bit, with the assistance of downshifting and e-brake. Managed to make it without incident - I left at 5pm and this all happened overnight, so traffic was light, got there without incident at about 4am. The next morning we traipsed down to the nearest parts store and i got the silly $14 part and changed it in her driveway while basically teaching myself how drum brakes work. Still miss that fuckin' car sometimes.

What about the girl? What happened to her?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Taught himself about girls work in the driveway, as well. Still misses that fuckin' girl sometimes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What about the girl? What happened to her?

I always love "the girl and the car" stories; every detail about the machine, the mechanical issue, and the steps applied to correct.

"Goddamn, I miss that machine. Girl? gently caress I don't remember what her name is."

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Worked on my brother's shitbox of a truck today. (94 Mazda B3000 aka Ford Ranger)

Well that doesn't look good at all.

So I guess I found the source of his overheating problem.

Oh and gently caress whoever designed this truck. Having to remove the AC/Power Steering/Tensioner bracket to get the last bolt out of the water pump sucked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Viper_3000 posted:

Oh and gently caress whoever designed this truck. Having to remove the AC/Power Steering/Tensioner bracket to get the last bolt out of the water pump sucked.

Try a Taurus of that vintage. Pull the engine for the same reason.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
Brake failure? Check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKa2nPfgWIE&t=565s

Swelled and "popped" the OEM rubber line out of its crimp fitting. Had it happened one corner earlier, I'd have been in the hospital and the car would have been totaled. Everything I touch gets stainless lines now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Goddamn that was a brilliant recovery at the end. And then, just as I was unclenching my rear end in a top hat, it steered back into the wall and I bit off part of the seatcover with my not-mouth.

:wtc:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Savington posted:

Brake failure? Check.

Pretty sure this is one of the few times where the name truly fits the post.

I saw you heading towards the concrete and was expecting a nice solid "thud".

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Good god, that is high pucker factor. Which rubber line failed?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I always love "the girl and the car" stories; every detail about the machine, the mechanical issue, and the steps applied to correct.

"Goddamn, I miss that machine. Girl? gently caress I don't remember what her name is."

My first "date" (if you could call it that) with my last ex was spent putting a new gas tank in my old XJ.

Don't miss the jeep, do miss the girl. If she hadn't been totally fuckin' nuts (and not in a good way) it might have worked out better. Oh well, I've got a better jeep now and nothing is worth that kind of crazy.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I have a friend who went to Road America this weekend for a lapping day.

This happened to his RX-7.

"Blame Canada corner."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

G-Mach posted:

hub failure

Jesus, that was common this weekend.

Fractured my LR wheel hub at ~105mph in the middle of a fast right-hand corner. My video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQHyjr-ybJk

Not my car, but an identical failure on ANOTHER Miata on the opposite side of the country on the same weekend :wtc:

Savington fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 6, 2013