Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Collette "Lette" Hirthal

In the silence that follows, Lette appears several times to try, and fail, to give voice to a thought. Or perhaps it is the thought itself that is struggling to take shape. The immediate reactions find obvious answers.

Why? They just said. Me? Yes, they said that, too. I don't deserve it. They think you do. I hurt people sometimes. The kids can learn from your mistakes. But why, as in why did it even come up?

To that last question, silence. Could they even know this soon? He said 'getting ahead of ourselves'...

When a word finally escapes, it may as well be wearing camouflage, for all anyone can detect it. "Con... gratulations?" She tries to gauge their reactions, but her vision blurs abruptly before a tear streaks down one cheek. Before company or not, she cannot seem to dam what is now welling up.

She embraces Isit, burying her face in the elf's shoulder and shuddering once as she appears to regain her composure. "That's... gods, what do I even say to...?" A faint guffaw escapes, and then she loses it once again, joyous heaves breaking up what thoughts follow. "Than'- you... Promise, I'll be, th'bes'- fairy godmoth- ha- godmother."

She sniffles, finally collecting herself. "Please not 'Collette,' though; I always though it was a dreadful name..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin

The Baron can't help but be a bit moved by the outpouring of emotion. Of course, he had expected a little; it was that heart of Lette's that had made the decision so easy in the first place, anyway. His friends would all have a place once he came into his title (or at least a title), of course, with positions befitting their unique skills. But Lette deserved this, too. Technically, it was perhaps a bit irregular to have a cousin given such an honor, but she was a very distant cousin; and more to the point, it was an irregular family in the first place.

"Well, since you're the namesake, I suppose it's only fair; Lette it will be, then," says Martin with a smile, before crossing his arms. "Though I confess to confusion on one point," he says in a mock serious tone. "I don't get a hug too?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I'm gonna slap your face off your face." Nevertheless, she extends a beckoning arm.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

All Martin can do in response to that is laugh heartily, before stepping in to join what is now the group hug of a happy family.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Oh I'm sure he's been threatened with slapping quite a few times in his youth. You're used to it, right dear?" Giggling in spite of herself, she hugs Lette. "Well we certainly aren't naming any child after me! And honestly Lette, you're an ideal godmother. Imagine what trouble any children with our blood would get up to! At least you'd survive babysitting one of our little monsters."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun reenters the tent in better spirits then he had left in. Eyes find Martin and Asha and he gives both a reassuring nod before his attention is turned to the package left by Celan. Now that his mood is lightened he can let curiosity back to the surface again. He holds up the vial of oily-looking liquid and inspects it for a while before shrugging. Whatever purpose it is meant for eludes him for now, as does the reason the harpy would leave it behind. Perhaps he knows just as much of it as I do. He sighs and steps away. Even if the answers to these little questions do not come, at least his task from the Goddess of Love is now done with and he can set his mind back on other matters.

He smiles at the exchange between the new family that has formed around him over the past few days. "Congratulations to you all! I look most forward to meeting these little monsters for myself one day." Complete strangers to a loving family. What a marvelous blessing. Although, he must admit ignorance to what exactly it is Martin and Isit are asking Lette to be. Although, given Lette's reaction and the sound of the title, it must be quite important. He leans into Dolan and Asha and speaks in a hushed tone; "So, what is a godmother?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

By now having regained her footing, Lette disentangles herself and turns to Lo'el. "A godparent is like a... 'vice-parent,' I guess? I've been deputized." Her eyes track back to the pair. "Err, eventually, that is. This is not... an immediate thing, right?" She winces. "I mean, I have more than nine months to prepare, right?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

Isit's commentary gets another laugh. "Sure enough. I'd best be used to it, darling, if I'm married to you - if the last few days are any indication. Of course, one of those times you were just doing what I asked you to do in the first place." Lo'el's congratulations gets a very polite "Thank you, and here's hoping," in response.

With that, Martin turns his attention to the other set of questions, and shrugs. "Immediate? Certainly not. Past that...it is a bit too soon to know, if, uh...well, it isn't as though we went directly to sleep on our wedding night, you understand." Martin stops himself there and coughs politely, clearly feeling that being particularly explicit would be uncouth under the present circumstances - though he managed to imply more than enough anyway.

The Baron slides next to Isit then, wrapping an arm around her and leaning close to whisper. "Would be enjoyable if we could get some time to ourselves on this trip, though." Figuring that thought doesn't need to be finished either, he turns back to Lette. "Anyway, I am sure you will be the first to know once we do."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 2, 2013

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Oh, come on," she says, rolling her eyes. "I meant like a yes-or-no thing, not a page from Martin's Diary of Conquests." The timing of the decision nevertheless niggles all the more in light of this.

"But then," she begins, brow creasing momentarily as she connects the last dot. "So you... didn't think I'd make it back."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"That isn't what I meant, my point was that it's too soon to know how much time you have to prepare for your new job, whether there is a particular point in time or not," he replies, before Lette's other comment hits. That seems to catch Martin off-guard, unprepared for such a reaction on Lette's part. "What?"

He blinks, digging for the right words, glancing at Isit for a half-second before turning back. "Lette, I - it wasn't like that. Sure we were worried about you, and can you really hold that against us? But I hardly think we'd have planned to give you this responsibility if we didn't think we would see you again, that would have been pointless. We had faith you'd come back, in you, and since you're here now it turns out we were right to do so. Lady Isit was quite sure of it, and it was my thinking that if anyone could make it work, it would be you."

"We just...what you did made quite an impression, is all. Reckless, sure, but wonderfully brave, deserving of recognition." A sigh. "I'm sorry if you feel this means we didn't believe in you, but all I can say is that we did. If I didn't think you had a chance, I'd have run back in there and I think you know that."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Oh, no no, don't apologize. I'm not holding anything against anyone. And it's not about your faith in me, or anything. I was... unclear; it's only just making sense to me, too.

"I'm saying I should apologize." She pauses, settling on a better way to phrase herself. "I just... I guess I hadn't really had a sense of what it felt like to be on the other side of it all — until just now. Whatever your confidence, the fact that I put you in a position to think about things like that, in those terms, it's... heavy. It says a lot.

"So, again, I'm sorry. I think I understand it a bit better. I won't worry you all like that again, I promise."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 2, 2013

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"A human custom, I believe," Dolan says quietly to the faun. "The Godmother births the child when the family mother cannot, then gives up the child to the parents." A pause. "I think."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He nods slowly to Lette's explanation, thinking he understands now what such a title means. "Oh, I think I see. A protector of sorts? Well, I must agree that I cannot think of anyone better suited for such a blessing." He eyes the dwarf then, an eyebrow raised as he thinks on just what that means and then colour runs to his cheeks. "I..uh-" He looks to the others for confirmation. "That is a custom here?"

The faun keeps his head low as Martin and Lette speak a little more. Slowly he starts re-gathering his things that had been placed down when the business with the harpy began. With everything they can do here done and dusted for now, he assumes it to be high time they move on again.
"So," he says after a small cough to gain attention. "With our task done here and so much to do and reports to give, shall we be moving on now?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Lette, you've been consistently brave. And you've been clever about it. Think of it as a commentary on that." Turning just slightly, she raises a brow at Martin. "We do need to settle this mess so we can have a real vacation. Honestly, I don't think army camps and swamps cut it."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Ew, Dolan. No. Gods, this must be how stereotypes start..."

Lette shrugs at Lo'el. "We could, though it's practically night. I guess we can make camp in the swamp," she suggests, fondly recalling the dream she'd had that night.

"...Assuming I can fit my head through the doorway," she adds, blushing at Isit's compliment.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Accepted, though I'm not sure you need to apologize for anything. You did what you thought was right, made sure that whatever happened, our task could go on. Which is why we made this decision in the first place," says Martin with a sage nod.

Dolan's explanation, only half-heard, as well as Lo'el's shocked reaction, get a laugh out of the Baron. "Nothing like that! It merely indicates someone we want involved in helping raise our children. Which I think we can all agree, Lette would be a good influence."

Setting Lo'el's last question aside for a moment, he nods at Isit. "Agreed. It's not exactly been the most fun journey, but it had to be done. When we return to Noah, at least, there may be more comfort. And privacy. I'd actually thought to ask the Lord Mayor about arranging some slightly more permanent accommodations...give us a bit more legitimacy among Noah's people while we are there. As it is the lot of us are practically vagrants, which just won't do. And I think he does owe us a wedding present, after all."

At that point, Martin turns back to the faun. "It is late," he agrees, though Martin follows that up with, "But I do not particularly want to stay here over-long. We could get a little bit away from the army before we have to make camp, but unless we plan on marching overnight we'll not make it horribly far. Or we could see if the Queen's vaunted hospitality might be extended for tonight." He looks to Lette. "Can we even make it there before it's too dark?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"The sun's already setting; we'd have to ride pretty hard. Probably still a 'maybe,' even then," she admits.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun breaths a little easier after Lette and Martin's reassurances over the new title. "Oh...good. Good. Yes, yes. She is the perfect choice, as you say."
He takes a peek out of the tent's flap at the question of moving on, looking at the sun's position. "I think we can reach the swamp, if we move soon and swiftly. Gaining a head start on the Queen's movements seems important, yes? Also, I am curious to see how this Lahti will treat us now that we are friends, rather then presumed foes. Staying means more time Roland and Naantali go without word of what to expect and prepare for, unless Dolan can send word from here? Although, I do prefer the thought of sleeping in a tent rather then suffer the same restless and draining sleep we endured in that swamp before." He shrugs. "I must say, I am eager to move on now. But, if you all want to ask to stay the night, I will not argue either."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

If all was truly fair in love and war, Asha begged to disagree--even with remedies and apologies poured from the heart, the knight could not help but foster pangs of tension at the emotion which must yet roil within Lo'el and Lette in no small measure. The subject of children goes far to catch the centaur by surprise and Asha's brows go high at the notion--a wan smile offered as she straightens near the tent's entrance. "T'would be a good name, I expect." She murmurs in her own quiet agreement; following Lo'el's gaze to the dying light, Asha purses her lips. "Perhaps it might do us all a touch of good to have the stars upon us for an eve?" A brow is arched. "Whether among the camp or otherwise, I've found such airs can help a troubled mind--and stars know, we've had ample stress this day." She smirks. Stars knew, they were in for plenty more...

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Lahti will be fine. We sort of bonded, and she's nicer than she lets on. And if you don't trust in her benevolence, trust in the contract we struck early on: she guarantees safe and speedy passage for me and anyone with me; I make sure the swamp has some representation among the three leaders." She smiles, shrugging. "It's nothing I wouldn't do for Acanthi, anyway. I really can't wait for you all to meet him."

She nods at Asha, pondering this question of where to sleep. "That could be lovely, too. It should be less nerve-racking than last night was, with company.

"Um, wasn't there something about a prophecy? I don't know that we'll get it if we sleep in the swamp. It sort of has its own... dreamspace? And I don't remember having dreams last time I slept in the queen's camp. So unless we camp someplace less secure, that may have to wait another day."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"We didn't dream in camp either," Martin says, mind drifting back to the vision given to him there. He'd have preferred to forget the whole thing. "In the swamp, we had...very odd dreams, the last time. At least I did. Maybe have been the locale, may have been what you speak of, may have been the latter changed by the former. I have no idea, nor any way to know."

He looks off in a seemingly random direction. "Safe passage is one thing, but I'd prefer not to sleep there again, if we can. Maybe it is better to rest on the edge under the stars, as Dame Asha says - that is, if we are to leave now. Then, run through in one go if possible." Of course, he had an ulterior motive; so much had changed since he last spoke to Caria directly. Out there, he could pray, and have a hope of speaking to Her; in the swamp, he found it unlikely that he would be so lucky.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"You had a bad dream? Mine was actually pretty great. But wait, you guys didn't bed down in the swamp; Lahti said you'd left before I even fell asleep. Right?"

She gives a thoughtful pluck to one of her three remaining strings. Poor Lilika. "Anyway, as long as I actually get some rest, I'll sleep wherever folks are most comfortable."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan shakes his head. "The mayor has shielded himself so that I cannot, likely in the fear that someone else might do the same, and the sphinx has specifically asked me not to. I am afraid we have to attend to this in a mundane fashion."

As the others speak of prophecies and dreams and the exact location they slept when they were encountered, Dolan scratches his chin. "Perhaps that dream was the prophecy. The snake has not always been known for being straightforward, I believe."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit waves her hand, as if clearing an unpleasant smell. "I say swamp. gently caress prophecies if they cause nightmares. I'm very unwilling to spend a night in poo poo territory, especially with eagles about. Piety is well and good, but not at the cost of sleep."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

With an apple having suddenly appeared in his hand, the faun gestures with it to the tent's flap. "Well, a night in -or by- the swamp it is. We can see how dark it is when we get up to the edge of the place, not there is really any way to tell where exactly the edge of the place really is. We should hurry on then, daylight is fading fast." He sighs and nods at Dolan as he speaks of being unable to send messages. "That is not to say we could not commune with Captain Dirkson or some such, if we are delayed in our return. All the more reason for us to hurry on now though. Seems a shame not to use such handy spells when they are available to us and would make things so much easier for all involved. Oh well." He smiles over at the Freehold harpies. "I am sure you flying fellows can get word of all this to Lady Naantali far more swiftly then we can manage travelling by hoof. No sense in us personally updating Lady Naantali, and delaying the word to Noah, when you can manage it with greater ease."

The faun checks himself over again, making sure he has everything he came with. Looking over to the box left by Celan, he then picks it up and hands it over to Lette with a small smile. He then exits the tent, holding the flap for the others, before hailing a nearby sentry to inform them of their departure and to ask for the swiftest route out of the large camp.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

As the discussion turns towards departure and the possibility of splitting ways, Lette recalls a point from before that scarcely had a moment for contemplation, with all the other matters unfolding.

"Before, Celan said that the queen reacted positively to Lord Roland's response, like it was what she wanted to see. But Roland's response was assertive. Unequivocal. I think there's something to this. Naantali doesn't like to feel bullied, but bullying demands submission. I think the queen hopes to see everyone represent their people as strongly as she does — not seeking submission but equality, in her own way. We also know pretty well by now that she and her father are at odds; he wants war, and apparently, whatever her posturing suggests, he's upset that she doesn't. These are all relevant.

"This situation is not nearly as hopeless as it's made out to be. And if Naantali is provided all the details we've learned, surely one as wise as she would recognize that this situation is hardly as coarse as it seems."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"And here I thought you never wanted to sleep there again," snarks Martin in response to Isit, though it doesn't sound like he plans on arguing the point. "All depends on how far we can get, but if we can make it that far..." Glancing at Lo'el, he finishes his statement: "Either way, we should be off with haste."

Lette's revelation, however, draws Martin into deep thought. "That could be it," he allows after a moment, speaking softly. "Not that there is any other choice for Naantali and Roland anyway, of course. It is a delicate balance, though. Once dug in, the Queen will have a hard time backing down and working towards an agreement, especially with pressure from her own people. And if the Lord Mayor or Naantali overstep, are too forceful in response...or alternately, if they give the impression of surrender, and are not assertive enough...either would be a pitfall. Brinksmanship, really. Savvy, but also very reckless; it risks the start of real war. Assuming that it is what Her Majesty is doing, anyway."

He cracks his knuckles idly. "Very much less than ideal, one way or another. You are right that it's not hopeless, but it is a poor situation no matter what."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She rolls her eyes. "Well swamp is still better than people in my brain that shouldn't be." Isit looks from Martin to Letter, eyes suspicious. "Look, I'm not going to hope until we have something more solid to pin it on. I still think we're all royally hosed, things around us rarely tend towards stability."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
As they watch the carnival of reunions and departures from their corner of the tent, the harpies from Naantali's lot take in everything with ears though they're too polite to stare. After Lette walks out, one of the junior ones begins muttering something under his breath that cannot be heard- though the commander cuffs his head and offers, "Kids." to Martin and Isit. It's not clear whether he's referring to the love triangle that just departed, his own uncouth soldier, or other youth-related vagaries, but the comment is the sole offer on the table for their reaction. Other, weightier affairs soon take precedence, though, as discussions of what it is the group will do take word back to their respective patrons. "We can fly through the night," the harpy commander says quietly. "Not many obstacles to smash into in the air since we're south of the mountains, and the moon's half full- should give us enough to find the big landmarks. Don't really want to try to land between here and there when home's waiting and the news is burning, and without giving too much offense our duty was to get you here and to your meeting with the Queen- getting back's kind of a happy bonus, I guess, since Naantali didn't tell us to escort you back to Noah." He shrugs. "I'm not particularly worried about you getting there, though."

What was left behind by Celan draws further attention yet, with some poking and prodding it as the goddess(es) saw fit to leave it without a visible instruction manual. The ring is quite beautiful, seeming to glow with its own inner fire without a hint of warmth, actual magic, or anything but a trick of light and the ruby's cut. The vial is quite different. The little liquid inside is magical, and potently so- drawing even Dolan's attention to it soon enough. More peculiar, whatever magic rests in the liquid seems to be a permanent enchantment, though most potions often are temporary in practice if not in theory. Though the liquid wets the small glass vial and seems to be closer to oil than water, it has no scent at all; and only the faintest sensation of warmth from the liquid, though on examination it doesn't seem to actually be heating anything at all- more a mental impression of warmth rather than the thing itself. What does not reveal itself is what the blasted potion actually... does.

Soon the setting sun compels a decision to remain with the army or flee, and all concur that to leave that night is the wiser choice. Belongings, meager as they may be, are assembled and packed to ready the road; on the way out, Ria's slouching against a post. Seeing the loaded procession, the elf waggles her ears and gives a sloppy salute. "Was afraid it'd go that badly. Good luck on the way back, you kids." She, at least, has the decency to refrain from any valedictory implying another meeting that may well be under other less pleasant circumstances. The party sets off, heading back towards the rim of the swamp, and the sun sets before they're even halfway there. Harpies experienced in such affairs and safely hundreds of feet higher may be able to navigate by the light of half a moon and the stars, but the ground-bound have considerably more difficulty. Having made the passage in the opposite passage by daylight, by nighttime the world seems to look different. Illusion or fact, as the night darkens and the last of the sunlight disappears from the western horizon, no path ahead presents itself and though there is the faintest whiff of Swamp (differently pleasant to different noses), the direction seems to dance with shifting winds.

Lette could *probably* bull through to the swamp just with her sense of Acanthi, though there's no guarantee she'd find anything like a path.

I'm back! Sorry for the delay, and back to your regularly scheduled merely slow update schedule! :v:

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun bids Rial a blessed farewell, equally keeping his silence on any meeting they might have after this point. A moment of thought is given to the question of what Lette and Celan will likely do if Noah and the Queen really do go to war, but it is soon dwarfed by a more selfish thought. Then again, what will I do? Battles are all well and good when they are told through stories and songs, but when he thinks of all the actual fighting he has done so far, it all makes his stomach turn to think of those fights on a much larger scale and to personally be a part of it all.
He lifts up another apple and distracts himself with that instead. Best to cross that bridge when it comes along.

With the setting sun casting enough light as they set out from the camp, he takes the opportunity to settle his rumbling stomach some and frees one hand from the reins to pass stored food from pack to mouth. But the day's light fades soon enough and forces them to march on in darkness. A small groan is hidden by the sound of the many hooves stamping the ground as he must call an end to his short dinner and take both hands in the reins once more to better guide Eclipse through the night. I shall have to better learn to use my tail for such things, if my hands are to be needed elsewhere when my stomach calls.

After some more time of riding, the familiar pungent scent of the swamp fills his nostrils and he immediately scrunches his up his nose. "If this horrid smell is anything to go by, then we are here." He pulls his horse to a halt and sits up a little more in the saddle. The light of the half moon and stars does little to aid his futile attempt to stare ahead a little further, as if he expects those damned giant toads to be waiting for them. "Well then. Do we go in now, or shall we camp here and tackle it in the morning? I personally think it will be best to wait until we have daylight to help guide our way."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 8, 2013

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"I can't make much sense of the direction myself," admits Martin having been quiet most of the way, running a lot of different thoughts around in his head, and having taken a moment to pray in a whisper when they'd set out. It was funny how quickly he was getting used to such things. He looks to Lo'el - or at least in his direction - and frowns slightly. "And I am not entirely sure we are all that close."

Halting, he looks off in the direction they were headed before. "No great choices here. We keep on under darkness and we risk running straight into some hazard or another. We could conjure up some light I'm sure, but then we're marking ourselves for any unfriendly soul for miles around, and it's still slow going. If we make camp, we're out in the open for those same dangers, as well as other problematic nighttime worries."

Martin turns towards Lette then, or where he is pretty sure that Lette is, anyway. "Lette, you probably have the best handle on the geography, here. How far is it really, and what do you think?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette breathes in the air, smiling distantly. The familiar scent — one she'd only known for a few days, but one that's now every bit a part of her history — helps to ease the strange glumness that the setting sun had brought with it. However, when Lo'el makes his own pronouncement on the scent, her expression fades, perhaps for reasons transcending some aesthetic disagreement.

Martin's question draws her from her thoughts. "Huh? Oh, um..." A moment passes as she quiets herself, trying to perceive Acanthi. "If we go... that way, I think we'll be there in... not terribly long? Though I don't know if we'll be riding through peat or water or what. We'll be safe lighting lanterns or torches once we're in, long as we're careful with them, but..." She glances again at Lo'el. After all that had been said, why is there still a knot in her chest? "...If you'd all rather sleep here, I'll understand. There are a lot of Ifs, and all. And it is still dry."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 8, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He glances ahead for a while, then turns to see the others and catches Lette looking his way. "If you wish to go on for a while longer and it does seem safe enough to do so, then we can certainly move in a bit closer. As you say, we might even chance a bit of light of our own then." He shrugs, his long tail swishing along the back of his horse. "We can go or stay. I do not mind, truly."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

The Baron nods as he listens to Lette's report, but then raises an eyebrow at Lo'el, speaking softly, but with a bit of annoyance. "Closer will not cut it. We can only chance light once we are safely in the swamp, as Lette also said. There it can protect us from any other intruders, and far enough in the light would not be very noticeable anyway. The problem is that getting closer safely without light is itself questionable, unless we can find some other way to navigate."

Martin sighs, looking back to Lette again. "It isn't whether it's dry or not that worries me, it's the prospect of someone getting stuck or breaking their leg miles from nowhere. If we can find some reliable way aside from lights to find a reliable path, or at least avoid anything that's a problem, then we can keep going, and probably should. But if we can't do that, we should bed down here, and trust Skoll will warn us of any approaching danger. Then once we can see in the morning, we can make good time on the march."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Well, if we stay in one place, we will be less likely to run into, you know, predatory animals, or insane wizards. Just saying. And I'm sure Skoll can do a fine job watching us. She's such a good girl! Yes she is! Who is a fluffy baaaaby?" Isit vigorously pets the wolf and grins. "Besides, if one of our horses break thier legs, we'll have a poo poo time tomorrow. Skoll will get a good dinner though."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"This far out, light would be dangerous, yes," Dolan agrees. "Even in the swamp it might be dangerous. The druid gave her assurances that she would give us safe passage, and even if we trust her, we cannot be certain that she controls every aspect of it. Travelling during the day would be safest."

From his horse, he looks down at the large wolf-pup that would be guarding them in the night, and that voice stirs within him again. "I'd like to keep watch for part of the night as well," he blurts out.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

Since there seems to be a bit of a consensus, Martin dismounts unceremoniously - though Dolan's outburst causes him to pause for a moment. Martin eyes the dwarf - or as best he can in the darkness, at any rate. "You should get what rest you can, we have that luxury," suggests Martin. "I admire your dedication, though. That said: no sense keeping watch alone. If we are going to be setting any watch, it should be more than one per shift, otherwise it's pointless. Else we may as well all rest and trust in our canine companion, which will serve us in good stead for tomorrow thanks to the extra sleep."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Alright. Here we are, then," she says, dismounting. Her disappointment owes less to this decision than the simple fact that a day is a finite quantity. She unrolls her blanket, bedding down on nearby grass. "Dolan, are you sure? I mean, it's up to you. I guess I can keep you company."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The dwarf shakes his head. "You're right. Old habits. I'll let the pup take the watch, if you think it's capable. I still wonder when it sleeps."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Never, she's magic."

• Locked thread