Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Two quick questions for everyone:

The battery on my 2008 MacBook Pro (4.1) finally died. I'm looking at getting a NuPower battery from Amazon instead of an Apple one, mostly because I'm cheap. Anyone have experience with this? I checked the OP, didn't see anything.

Second, are we ever going to see a 15" Air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Schiavona posted:

The battery on my 2008 MacBook Pro (4.1) finally died. I'm looking at getting a NuPower battery from Amazon instead of an Apple one, mostly because I'm cheap. Anyone have experience with this? I checked the OP, didn't see anything.
They're fine.

Schiavona posted:

Second, are we ever going to see a 15" Air?
Making yet another 15" model to just be a wee bit thinner than the 15" rMBP would be just plain silly.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Just got a late 2012 13" retina macbook pro. Pretty much loving it. I need a keyboard protector cover and there a shitload of brands out there ranging from a dollar to $30. Any recommendations on something that won't change the resistance of the buttons too much?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I wouldn't get a keyboard cover. The space between the screen and keyboard when the laptop is closed is small enough already. If you use a keyboard protector you'll just get all the grime and grease transferred from the protector to the screen every time you close your laptop.

Also, god dammit Belkin you just had to wait until I bought an X100S to release the stupid Thunderbolt Dock, didn't you? Bastards.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It's a lot easier to wipe off some marks on the screen using a microfiber cloth than it is to deal with keyboard turning glossy black over time. I used a protector on my 13in Air when I had it and after a year or so of use they keyboard looked pristine. I didn't buy a new one for my current air and the keyboard has definite wear marks on the space bar and most commonly used keys from everyday use. The protectors are made of very thin silicone so it's not exactly taking up a bunch of space. They're not much thicker (if at all) than the rubber gasket sealing around the screen.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I'm more worried about protecting my keyboard from spills so I'm also willing to just deal with wiping the screen occasionally. Any protectors that are slim as possible while being legit?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

yellowjournalism posted:

I'm more worried about protecting my keyboard from spills so I'm also willing to just deal with wiping the screen occasionally. Any protectors that are slim as possible while being legit?

Seriously.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nerdrock posted:

Ok : So it claims two thunderbolt ports, one "Upstream" and one "Downstream". What the gently caress is that supposed to mean? Will I not be able to just get a couple of DVI adapters and plug a couple screens into this?
For daisy chaining as mentioned, but there's nothing stopping you from plugging screens into both ports.

...you just won't have a way for the computer to connect to them at that point :downs:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Need help... So I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro. I forgot my adapter at home but at work there was an old 85W T-shaped magsafe available so I grabbed that thinking it'd be fine.. Except when I plugged it in and saw it charging and turned on my system all I am getting is the grey screen with a spinning wheel. I tried going to the recovery partition but nothing actually came up. It ultimately loaded Internet Recovery but since I was already low on power it wouldn't let me do anything. Once I get home and can get my own charger I'll try again but did the old Magsafe potentially just kill my system?

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 1, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Need help... So I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro. I forgot my adapter at home but at work there was an old 85W T-shaped magsafe available so I grabbed that thinking it'd be fine.. Except when I plugged it in and saw it charging and turned on my system all I am getting is the grey screen with a spinning wheel. I tried going to the recovery partition but nothing actually came up. It ultimately loaded Internet Recovery but since I was already low on power it wouldn't let me do anything. Once I get home and can get my own charger I'll try again but did the old Magsafe potentially just kill my system?
Sounds like your HD took a poo poo. The charger didn't kill it unless someone wired it up as a etherkiller when you weren't looking.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If it is the HD, since it's an SSD can I still retrieve all of my data off of it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SourKraut posted:

If it is the HD, since it's an SSD can I still retrieve all of my data off of it?

In theory it would fail to read-only and you could maybe pop it out and stick it in a desktop or USB enclosure and try to pull the data off it. Otherwise, get your backups out.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

DEAR LORD, BELKIN IS NOW SHIPPING THE THUNDERBOLT DOCK :greatgift:

Hmmm, hell still seems to be warm. Would like to get one of these for my work Mac, since it has TB but only USB 2.0 ports. Dunno about the price though

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I think I am in the market for a new MacBook. I currently have a MacBook 2007 core duo (white) with 120GB storage, 4GB of RAM, snow leopard, and its in pristine condition (lasted me over 5 years now).

First: any guesses on the resell/trade in value of my MacBook? I have 2003ish office on there. Can I wipe my data off my computer while still keeping that installed (to help with resale value)?

I'm pretty sure I should just go with a 13" MacBook Air (I def don't need a CD drive), I love being as portable as possible. I'm not a power user beyond web browsing, messaging/email, office and occasional Netflix, so it doesn't need to do music/video editing or photoshop.

I currently have an iPad 2 and will likely be swapping that for a Mini whenever the retina Mini comes out, so this would be my more powerful device.

Oh, and is Apple care worth it for MacBooks?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 1, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I currently have a MacBook 2007 core duo (white) with 120GB storage, 4GB of RAM, snow leopard, and its in pristine condition (lasted me over 5 years now).

First: any guesses on the resell/trade in value of my MacBook? I have 2003ish office on there. Can I wipe my data off my computer while still keeping that installed (to help with resale value)?

$200-$400 depending on where you live. You could throw it up in SA-Mart if you want.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

New Late 2012 27" iMac has joined the family. It's amazing. Better than my 2010 model I use at work. Except for one thing... I am still a "buys CDs" guy, and lack of an optical drive is making it a bit difficult to add them to iTunes :) I have poked around Amazon and found a few Samsungs that look OK, but thought I'd see if the goon Apple nerd crowd had any buy/avoid advice on any models. I've not had to buy an external drive in a looonnngg time, since I put a 5.25' Panasonic in my linux system half a decade or more back. It's sitting in a Firewire external case now, but requires a power cable and too much desk space.

Any recommendations on a good small form factor laptop-style external?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

strokevictim posted:

New Late 2012 27" iMac has joined the family. It's amazing. Better than my 2010 model I use at work. Except for one thing... I am still a "buys CDs" guy, and lack of an optical drive is making it a bit difficult to add them to iTunes :) I have poked around Amazon and found a few Samsungs that look OK, but thought I'd see if the goon Apple nerd crowd had any buy/avoid advice on any models. I've not had to buy an external drive in a looonnngg time, since I put a 5.25' Panasonic in my linux system half a decade or more back. It's sitting in a Firewire external case now, but requires a power cable and too much desk space.

The Apple one?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Not sure it's worth the $79 - looks nice though :)

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

strokevictim posted:

Not sure it's worth the $79 - looks nice though :)

The special thing about that disc drive is that it is completely powered by one Apple USB port. If you can ditch this and can bear with a disc drive that uses two usb ports (1 for power and 1 for data and power) or one with an external power supply, then the much cheaper alternatives should suffice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bob Morales posted:

DEAR LORD, BELKIN IS NOW SHIPPING THE THUNDERBOLT DOCK :greatgift:

I had no idea this existed but it seems pretty cool. It pretty much contains all the reasons I pine for a thunderbolt display, but I could probably get a nice monitor and this and still come out 500 dollars ahead. Oh and have USB 3.0.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 1, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

crazysim posted:

The special thing about that disc drive is that it is completely powered by one Apple USB port. If you can ditch this and can bear with a disc drive that uses two usb ports (1 for power and 1 for data and power) or one with an external power supply, then the much cheaper alternatives should suffice.
You can also get a BD drive for pretty cheap these days if you want to rip HD movies.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

strokevictim posted:

LG make good ones from memory. I bought a Buffalo brand one for $50 Aus that works great, USB 2.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

crazysim posted:

I have a Samsung drive with 2 USB cables, but it works fine if I only plug one into my Macbook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

crazysim posted:

Crazy part is on the Air the USB ports are on opposite sites of the machine so those drives can be a PITA

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

IUG posted:

I have a Samsung drive with 2 USB cables, but it works fine if I only plug one into my Macbook.

Apple sends extra power to the first USB port used after a reboot, so if you can consistently use the same one, you can usually power those 2-cable devices with a single port. Of course, if you hardly ever reboot your computer, you'll probably forget which port you activated.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Bob Morales posted:

Crazy part is on the Air the USB ports are on opposite sites of the machine so those drives can be a PITA

Hah, I have this problem too. I don't do discs a lot, but when I do, I plug the power cable into the phone charger.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
I spilled some water into my Air and it completely nuked the battery and messed up the airport card. It worked well enough with the power adapter plugged in to transfer some files that had not been backed up in the last day. Took it into the Apple store and predictably they want $750 to do a logic board replacement. However, when the diagnostic test was run it said that everything was working fine except the battery and airport card.
My question is whether a battery replacement alone could possibly be all I need? I don't think Apple is lying to me about needing the other components replaced but I'd really like to avoid paying so much.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

So I can't use my laptop in public? Dude, there are a million situations where some idiot could spill on my laptop (and people have, I've just been lucky it didn't get anywhere critical). I am not the rear end in a top hat that flips out any time someone walks past me drinking a soda.

Anyway I won't ask again but if someone actually has a recommendation on a slim, low-profile keyboard cover that would be appreciated.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

A PC Game posted:

I spilled some water into my Air and it completely nuked the battery and messed up the airport card. It worked well enough with the power adapter plugged in to transfer some files that had not been backed up in the last day. Took it into the Apple store and predictably they want $750 to do a logic board replacement. However, when the diagnostic test was run it said that everything was working fine except the battery and airport card.
My question is whether a battery replacement alone could possibly be all I need? I don't think Apple is lying to me about needing the other components replaced but I'd really like to avoid paying so much.

Water damage usually continues to ruin stuff even months later.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The Moshi keyboard covers are probably the best ones. That said you're going to get wear on the keys whether or not you use one as they're due solely to friction, so it's just up to you if you want one or not. They greatly inhibit maximizing your typing speed.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Thanks! I'll just grab one and try it until I get sick of it or whatever.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Thanks guys - I'll check out the LG drives, too. Not too worried about 1 vs. 2 USB ports, since I already have a huge hub from having had a laptop previously and tons of devices already in need of power/charging.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Water damage usually continues to ruin stuff even months later.

On the other hand fixing stuff that isn't broken is stupid.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm in the market for a new desktop machine. My MacBook Pro has served me well, but as an animator who works in motion graphics, I'm starting to need more processing power, disk space, and screen size.

At this point it's between getting an iMac or perhaps investing in the MacPro. (I'm upgrading to a Cintiq as well, which would serve as the monitor for the MacPro.)

The MacPro is nice because of the sheer power and expandability, but currently the I/O seems a little dated, and I'm not sure when they are going to upgrade that. The lack of expandability of the iMac is a little bit troubling, since I want to invest in a machine that will last me a long amount of time.

As a traditional animator I mainly use TVPaint, AfterEffects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and sometimes GarageBand (I am not the world's greatest sound designer), so I don't imagine myself needing the processing power of someone who works in, say, Maya or 3DStudioMax, etc. Would I really benefit from going with the MacPro tower, or is the built-in graphics card of the 27" iMac good enough for my purposes?

The other additional detail that may or may not become important, I'm not sure where I'm going to end up living, either across the US or possibly to Sweden, so a MacPro tower might be harder to transport due to its sheer weight. I heard the new 27" can be detached from the stand, so ostensibly putting it in a padded carrying case and walking it with me would be possible.

Also, I heard it's not too hard to install new RAM into the new iMac manually, so would it be much cheaper to newegg it rather than pay the Apple price?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neeksy posted:

The MacPro is nice because of the sheer power and expandability, but currently the I/O seems a little dated, and I'm not sure when they are going to upgrade that. The lack of expandability of the iMac is a little bit troubling, since I want to invest in a machine that will last me a long amount of time.
For the Mac Pro as far as updates: http://www.macworld.com/article/1167247/cook_apple_planning_professional_mac_for_2013.html

Tim Cook posted:

Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year.
That was last year so...later this year. Whether it's still in the same vein (big rear end monster machine) or something completely different though, who knows. For CPU power at least, I think the higher end iMacs are faster than the current low end Mac Pro btw (hell I think any other quad machine is nowadays).

Otherwise how long is "a long amount of time"? I'd suggest looking into shorter cycles (and resale values) cause the pace of technology, like buying low-mid range whenever they fit your needs rather than going high end and just holding on as long as you can.

quote:

Also, I heard it's not too hard to install new RAM into the new iMac manually, so would it be much cheaper to newegg it rather than pay the Apple price?
Yeah no reason to get RAM from Apple (or most OEMs really), other than the machines where you can't upgrade at all. I think the smaller iMac has fixed RAM while the big one is user upgradable iirc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Unless you need > quad i7, or > 32GB RAM, or access to PCI expansion slots, just get an iMac.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Are the retina laptops due to be refreshed soon?

My mother is itching to buy my laptop, but I'm not sold on the 15inch form factor, and the 13inch doesn't have the graphics that I want.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ziploc posted:

My mother is itching to buy my laptop, but I'm not sold on the 15inch form factor, and the 13inch doesn't have the graphics that I want.

Everything will be refreshed when Haswell is released. When, exactly, we don't know. But last year Apple announced the Retina along with updated Pros and Airs all at WWDC.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Yeah probably around Q3 this year which means it's worthwhile to wait a few months.

WWDC usually announces the next release dates for product line updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Neeksy posted:

I'm in the market for a new desktop machine. My MacBook Pro has served me well, but as an animator who works in motion graphics, I'm starting to need more processing power, disk space, and screen size.

At this point it's between getting an iMac or perhaps investing in the MacPro. (I'm upgrading to a Cintiq as well, which would serve as the monitor for the MacPro.)

As a traditional animator I mainly use TVPaint, AfterEffects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and sometimes GarageBand (I am not the world's greatest sound designer), so I don't imagine myself needing the processing power of someone who works in, say, Maya or 3DStudioMax, etc. Would I really benefit from going with the MacPro tower, or is the built-in graphics card of the 27" iMac good enough for my purposes?

The other additional detail that may or may not become important, I'm not sure where I'm going to end up living, either across the US or possibly to Sweden, so a MacPro tower might be harder to transport due to its sheer weight. I heard the new 27" can be detached from the stand, so ostensibly putting it in a padded carrying case and walking it with me would be possible.

I do motion graphics and bought the i7 iMac 27"- great machine. After effects, photoshop and illustrator all run great.

The macpro is a major ripoff until apple upgrades them, and they know it. Better off getting a 2gb video card instead in your iMac and installing your own ram.

If you're getting a cintiq and an iMac though, I hope you have a big desk...