Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
On the plus side, a poor EC performance is technically much better than a good one (unless you win), since you get better draft prospects. You can at least do some weird stuff and try out all the guys in your roster, since it's not like it'll hurt much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

This is intolerable! Could I have overestimated my genius? Impossible! Perhaps the volcanic ash is clogging my pitch bots airflow...

Put Eric Show on the DL I will disassemble him and see what I learn.
Recall Big Bionic Carlos Zambrano and insert him into the rotation.
Insert Wayne Causey at SS versus righties.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Monathin posted:

Yeah, your middle infield is doing pretty well.

And sorry about missing the changes, GVOLTT. I thought I had caught everything, but occasionally orders get lost. I'll make sure to be triple-checking your stuff next update.

It still says that Pujols is playing right field and Morse is playing first base for some weird reason. Can you fix that?

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Arkansas Destroyers
Harvard Elites
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Sad Pandas

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
It's important not to panic too quickly, since your teams aren't finalized yet. The Dispersal Draft can make a huge difference. The Landers were a below average team in the EC, then drafted Aaron, Clemens, and Rivera. Before that, we'd been using Dwayne Murphy and Wally Post in right, Rick Langford in Clemens' rotation spot, and Keith Foulke at closer, so it was kind of an upgrade. We also had a fourth pick, which netted us Jimmy Rollins, who was part of the trade that got us DiMaggio.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

And thus was it declared nap month, where the marmosets retreated to their various dens and holes, and the B-team descended upon the field.

Napoli goes in at Catcher
Bill Dahlen goes in at Shortstop
Bobby Abreu goes in at Left Field
Bench Sammy Strang goes in at Second Base

Dave Henderson goes down to AAA
Hughie Jennings goes to First Base

If its possible, just have them all do this for long enough to give my tired players the time they need to not be tired little moppets, but if its gotta be the whole month, whatever. wing my lineup too.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

In a shocking twist, the insane stadium on top of the world has really hosed up just about everything.

We all knew this was coming.

The only team equipped to handle the frozen hell that is the Pandas' new stadium, with Plank and Waddell being the perfect pitchers to handle a stadium without any air. I'm not sure how long they can keep this going, but double Bonds looks to finally be paying off.

Looks like the jig is up and the mark's been 86'd!

Well, your stadium garbled the results as no normal team could handle playing in the Himalayas, which is probably a super-unfair thing to do to the Gauntlet generally, which already has small-sample size problems, but, on the other hand, the Pandas did survive, so....success?

Pick 'em
Pick Two!
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Harvard Elites
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Pick 'em
Pick Two!
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Harvard Elites
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
Pick 'em
Pick Two!
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Harvard Elites
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
A Rickey in the Super-Draft pool. Sick. Sad that the Gumshoes got relegated, I liked them a bit.

Phoenixes and Pandas advance.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pick 'em
Pick Two!
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Harvard Elites
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Am I going to pick against the Pandas twice?

Yeah...sorry Pander.

Pick em!

Phoenixes and Elites to advance!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The Merry Marauder posted:

You mean perennial Super-League All-Star and .300 hitter GOOOSE Goslin? Yeah, don't trade him. Alternately, trade him to me!
Make an offer, you crazy bastard. Goslin is priced to move!

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
I am very sad. Really thought we'd go farther.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
:siren: Pick Em Scoring :siren:

No real movement, as no one was able to predict the tandem of the Pandas and Elites moving on. The Gumshoes deserved better.

pre:
Owner                 Score
mentholmoose           16
mks5000                13
Monicro                 9
FairGame                8
Chilly McFreeze         7
kw0134                  7
Robert_Deadford         7
Zodiac5000              7
Beet                    6
GVOLTT                  6
Revenant Threshold      5
alpha_destroy           4
factorialite            4
tatankatonk             4
CaptainYesterday        2 
TheFlyingLlama          1
oldskool                0

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hahahahahahahahh

I'm sorry to Archie, his team was a better team, but holy hell I wanted something funny and that qualifies

The mental image of the Great Himalayan Hammerers unleashing unholy hell upon all who entered is absolutely priceless.

Anyway...

Move Whitey to LR
Move Ben Sheets to SP5
Move Lon Warneke to SR
Send down Howie Pollet
Call up Max Lanier, move him to MR

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Harvard Elites
Idaho Potatoes

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
here, smasher, i'll write the obit for you

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

HERE LIE THE ARKANSAS DESTROYERS
THEY NEVER SCORED

CraigK fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 3, 2013

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pick 'em
Pick Two!
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Harvard Elites
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I have a horrible feeling the Elites will be crushed next round.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Hey, so, I'm kind of backed up on obits, and also running out of ideas, so if anyone wants to chip in, I'd appreciate it.

Failing that, mrnoun, any teams you'd like to obit for me? And if there are any still-living teams in the Gauntlet you'd like to take a crack at, maybe I could arrange a little "accident" that would make sure they'd get relegated.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Hey, so, I'm kind of backed up on obits, and also running out of ideas, so if anyone wants to chip in, I'd appreciate it.

Failing that, mrnoun, any teams you'd like to obit for me? And if there are any still-living teams in the Gauntlet you'd like to take a crack at, maybe I could arrange a little "accident" that would make sure they'd get relegated.

I have an idea for an obit for a team involving Babe Ruth, but that would mean no Detective Don Slaught story. If you're okay with that, I'll take the Gumshoes. I'll also see if I can think of something halfway decent for the Million Dollar Men.

If any remaining Gauntlet teams have Ryan Braun, I think I could manage another chapter of Ryan Braun: Psychic Vampire Hunter, too. Other than that, it's really down to inspiration striking.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
i'm dead serious, leave that as my obit

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

mrnoun posted:

I have an idea for an obit for a team involving Babe Ruth, but that would mean no Detective Don Slaught story. If you're okay with that, I'll take the Gumshoes. I'll also see if I can think of something halfway decent for the Million Dollar Men.

If any remaining Gauntlet teams have Ryan Braun, I think I could manage another chapter of Ryan Braun: Psychic Vampire Hunter, too. Other than that, it's really down to inspiration striking.

Hitting the Edge of the Sky: A Ryan Braun Mystery
(new paperback set in Himalayan China!)

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Pander posted:

Hitting the Edge of the Sky: A Ryan Braun Mystery
(new paperback set in Himalayan China!)

Oh gently caress, you have Braun AND Stan Musial? Okay, I got that poo poo, Smasher.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

mrnoun posted:

Oh gently caress, you have Braun AND Stan Musial? Okay, I got that poo poo, Smasher.

Well, I mean, they aren't dead yet.

But I'm sure that situation will resolve itself in the next few days.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
If you give me a couple days, I can take care of the Million Dollar Men. I can't promise quality though.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Idaho Potatoes

Have the Mogul AI determine starting lineup and rotation for the Potatoes.

Godspeed and (most likely) see you in EC X.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have an idea for the Million Dollar M-

cbx posted:

If you give me a couple days, I can take care of the Million Dollar Men. I can't promise quality though.

:argh:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pick 'em
Pick Two!
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Harvard Elites

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Senerio posted:

I have an idea for the Million Dollar M-

:argh:

Go for it then. I won't stop ya.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Well, I mean, they aren't dead yet.

But I'm sure that situation will resolve itself in the next few days.

I'm sure there is no subtext here that needs concern me! My team is invincible in its mountain fortress of doom! Our stadium is in the shape of a skull!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pick two!
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Harvard Elites
Idaho Potatoes
Sad Pandas

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

mentholmoose posted:

Another change, since I forgot to mention it earlier. Send down Hoyt and call up Red Lucas. Put him in the long relief spot.

Mogul doesn't seem to like still active players compared to similarly talented players from the past. My assumption is that since it judges players based partly on length of career, active players get lower ratings since they haven't had full careers yet.

Looking through the feeders and trades you've made, the only player I would have added is '02 Derrek Lee, who might help your infield hit better. Otherwise, there's not much you can do other than wait for the draft.

Derrek Lee is solid. I'm about 95% sure the problem with most modern players is that they strike out a lot and don't walk enough. You need an elite batting eye or elite contact skills to survive in the SL, and modern players just don't have elite contact skills (see: Ryan Braun). When you're dealing with endless rotations of superior control pitchers or power pitchers with great control (clemens), you're get schooled.

I'm pretty sure this is why the wild left handed power pitchers all do awfully - the modern high strikeout guys finally get someone they can hit with power or draw a walk against, and then promptly take it out of the park.

Oldskool posted:

Make an offer, you crazy bastard. Goslin is priced to move!

What year? e: wait, he's 37 right? gently caress that, I already HAVE a million platoon only left handed ancient dudes.

FairGame posted:

I'm probably one of the one or two unsalvageable teams and I'd still rather keep going. I have no idea what I'm doing so I'll lose for a while. That's fine.

Here's a question, though: I'm seeing that there are some teams who have pitchers who pitch to contact, leading me to believe there are entire strategies around having sweet ground ball pitchers and amazing fielders to suck everything up.

When I'm putting together a roster in the future, should I be looking at a player's peripheral defensive stats on BBREF or something? I really was just going "welp; he was a good hitter/pitcher" with 0 context to defense, park size, etc.

In other words, was my feeder construction bad merely from a talent-selection standpoint, was it fine talent-wise but lacking a coherent strategy for how to get outs/runs, or just lovely all around?

You do have a few things on your feeders you may have missed. 23 year old Cliff Floyd may be useful, but not very useful, and Mark Lansing is better than Gary Gaetti at the hot corner, but not, like, hugely better or someone who should be starting in the SL in any way.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 3, 2013

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Pick 'em

Definitely jumping on the Sad Pandas bandwagon. Since technically I have to pick 2, let's go with Harvard Elites.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Pick 'em

Definitely jumping on the Sad Pandas bandwagon. Since technically I have to pick 2, let's go with Harvard Elites.

EXCELLENT CHOICE my friend!

We are ready to rock at the stadium on top of the rock!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Low-effort, I'll admit, but I was busy today, and neither of us really care about this update. Hell, most of you don't care about most updates I do.

The Rakers have three different left-handed starters in their four-man playoff rotation. The Landers have a mess of right-handed power hitters. This is not going to end well.

They're just the better team here.

Don May posted:

LANDERS GET DONE TO BUSINESS OF DESTROYING RAKERS WITH 8-2 WIN

The loving Moon!- The Rakers have done well to get this far, but it is not clear that they have much of any chance to go any farther.

Having won 107 games in the regular season despite effectively taking the final month off, the Landers were ready to finally put their past post-season failures behind them, and focus on the matter at hand: Winning the Super-League championship and setting up a dream match with the Macho Men. The first step on that journey is disposing of the Rakers, who are generally considered to be the weakest team remaining in the playoffs.

It is worth noting that, for a first-year team, the Rakers did an admirable job just reaching the postseason, as they had to go through the South Bolton Eazy W's just enter the bracket in the first place. And with an extra dispersal draft pick coming, their future looks as bright, diminished only by the fact that, as a team whose home is located on the shores of the Irish Sea, nothing is ever really all that bright due to the ever-present gloom.

In today's game, the Landers beat the Rakers severely, dominating them, and building a lead of 8-0 before the Rakers scored a pair of inconsequential runs in the top of the ninth. Admittedly, few expected the series to begin any other way, but it was still rather disenheartening to the Rakers faithful.

mrnoun, of course, did not care at all, "I shouldn't even waste my words on you people. None of you care about the story of the Super-League, or its mythos, or its rich cast of characters. None of you care about anything other than the numbers for your team. You are the pop-punk bands. All you want is your same three chords and lyrics tinged with corporate-approved rebelliousness. You're the monsters that made Blink 182 very wealthy men. So self-centered, so shallow, interested in nothing but yourselves and your own teams. Fortunately for the better parts of the human spirit, so long as I remain in this league, none of you will get what you want. You want to be champions." A sudden flash of anger came over mrnoun's face, "None of you will EVER be champions as long as I have something to say about it! EVER!"

GAME NOTES

-SUDDEN DEATH hit two doubles in the game, proving that death is, and always has been, a clutch performer.

-Pedro Martinez allowed only four baserunners in seven innings against the normally potent Rakers

Box Score

Don May posted:

LANDERS CONTINUE SAVAGE MAULING OF RAKERS WITH 10-3 WIN

The loving Moon!- The first two games have been games that the Rakers would rather forget.

Having been beaten badly in the opener of the series, to the tune of an 8-2 rout, the Rakers were hoping that they could, at the very least, be more competitive in Game 2. This obviously did not happen, as the Landers once more ravaged the Rakers' pitching en route to taking a 2-0 lead in this best-of-five series.

gingemidget, the owner of the Rakers and Neil Kinnock lookalike, did not seem to grasp his situation, "Personally, I thought it rather odd to do a five-match aggregate runs series in the first place, and it's certainly the case that I would rather be leading by thirteen runs after two games than being down by that many, especially since we have missed so many opportunities for away runs. Still, with three games left-" gingemidget was stopped there, and it was explained to him that this was, in fact, a best-of-five series, whereby the first team to win three games would automatically win. That gave gingemidget some pause, "So...if the Rakers are defeated in Game 3, we're out of the playoffs? Ah...that is certainly not what I had expected...if you'll excuse I need to...fix....everything. Good day." gingemidget then began sprinting towards his locker room, screaming, "Dear God, we're ruined! Ruined! RUUUUUUUUUUUUINNNNNNNNNNED!"

As befitting a man of his level of success, mrnoun was confident that, after seasons of effort, that his Landers were finally going to take him to the Super-League Semi-Finals, farther than he has ever gone in the playoffs, "I want to apologize for my comments last game. Not because of anything I said, but because I used words and ideas that were clearly too complicated for any of you to understand. I mean, I was clearly right in comparing all of you to Blink 182 fans, but it was wrong for me to suggest that people that vacuous would understand the rest of what I was trying to get across. For example, I said that you cretins only cared about your team's numbers, which is true, but it did kind of gloss over the fact that you don't even understand the numbers that you're given. I mean, if you did, maybe your teams would be less terrible. Maybe I wouldn't have been able to beat all of your teams 107 times this season. Maybe you wouldn't be on the verge of relegation. But again, I'm making things a bit more complicated than they need to be. So, let me put it terms you'd understand: You are all really, really, really stupid and I hate you because of it."

GAME NOTES

-The series will now head to Walney or "Fun City" as no human being has ever called it.

-SUDDEN DEATH hit a home run in the game, extending his hot hitting, and suggesting that, in the end, death will be the death of the Rakers.

Box Score

Don May posted:

RAKERS HEROICALLY DON'T DIE WITH 8-2 WIN

Walney- A tiny hope is better than no hope at all.

With their backs against the wall, the Rakers bore down and made their stand, and while being down 1-2 in a best-of-five series is hardly ideal, it's certainly better than the alternative of elimination.

The Rakers' offense, which had struggled to find its footing in the first two games of the series, finally came alive as the Rakers were able to scorch Landers' starter Greg Maddux for seven runs over six innings, while the Landers found their momentum stalled, and could only manage two runs.

Part of the reason for this was likely due to the injury to Josh Gibson, caused when Gibson's attempt to sample a traditional English breakfast went terribly wrong. Josh Gibson explained, "Listen man, I can almost wrap my head around these puddings. They don't make any sense to me, but they're sort of like sausages, I guess, and that's a breakfast food, so I guess that makes sense. But a fried tomato? Who takes a tomato, cuts it in half, fries it, and then puts it on a plate? Are the people of England trying to kill me? Because where I come from, a fried tomato isn't food, it's a threat."

Still, this was good news for the Rakers, who now have a chance to send the series back to the moon with a win in Game 4. Even better, their starter in that game, Jon Matlack, has, in a bizarre twist of fate, been their best pitcher, including a shutout victory in the wildcard playoff against the Manatees just last week. While it is clear that Matlack's luck will run out at some point, he has to be considered, at least for the moment, the surest bet in the Rakers' rotation. If Matlack can win tomorrow, that would lead to a decisive Game 5,

Matlack sounded ready to do his part, "I knew the day would come when I would fight the moon men," Matlack said, a wad of chewing tobacco in his mouth, "Ever since I was a boy, I'd look up at the moon and I knew that it would come to just me, and the loving moon. The moon is a loving rear end in a top hat, you know. What has the moon done for us? Tides? Who the gently caress like tides? And it's also responsible for werewolves, and every lovely movie involving werewolves. In a world without the loving moon, there would have been no twilight movies. So I'm going to go to moon, and unlike that pussy Neil Armstrong, I'm going to beat the moon and anyone who might have joined with the moon. They're traitors to the Earth and they deserve to pay!"

mrnoun disagreed, "I am NOT going to lose to Jon Matlack! It is not going to happen. I will not allow it! I spent too long on this team to have it taken out by Jon Matlack! And gently caress all of you for thinking it could happen. I swear to King Crimson, who is the closest thing I have to a higher power, that I will stop the Rakers in Game 4, and that the next game we'll be playing on the moon will be the opening game of the Smasher League Championship Series. This is it, it is over!"

GAME NOTES

-mrnoun was probably referring to King Crimson the band rather than Satan in his postgame comments....probably.

Box Score

Don May posted:

LANDERS END SERIES WITH 11-8 WIN

Walney- For a moment there, it looked like the Rakers just might pull something off.

Going into the seventh inning, the Rakers had a 5-1 lead, and Jon Matlack was simply dominating the Landers.

And then the Landers scored eight runs in the half-inning, and that pretty much ended the series right there. It was a brutal end for a Rakers team that had overachieved all season, right up until they were put into a series where mere overachievement was not anywhere good enough.

In a flash, the Landers seemed to get inside the head of Jon Matlack. Up to that point, the lefty had kept the Landers off balance but, maybe because they'd had six innings to figure him out, or maybe because Matlack had been living on borrowed time all season long, the Landers suddenly seemed completely keyed in. gingemidget, to his credit, realized that something was going wrong after the first few Landers got on base, and tried to bring in Rick Honeycutt to cool the Landers down. That did not work at all, as the Landers pummeled him as well. By the end of the half-inning, the Landers had taken a 9-5 lead, and that was sufficient to allow them to survive a late surge from the Rakers and win the series 3 game to 1.

gingemidget, classy as always, told reporters, "While, as a Briton, I am neither disposed, nor congenitally capable, to show emotion through my words or actions, I assure you that, were I a boisterous American, devoid of grace and refinement, I would most certainly be very...ah...what's the term you Yanks use? 'Lachrymose'? No....ah, wait, 'bummed out.' Yes, deep down inside, I am quite 'bummed out' by this loss. Would that this refined and cultured facade could display the depths of my sorrow to you! Really, I promise it."

The owner of the Landers, mrnoun, refused to comment after the game, explaining that he will have plenty to say in the coming days, as the Smasher League Championship draws near, but, for the moment, he decided not to waste any more words on the media, as he felt that given the uncaring and not particularly bright demeanor of the Super-League readers, that it would not do him, or anyone else, any good to try and elevate them to a higher level of understanding. In fairness to him, it is almost universally agreed on that he had a point.

Box Score

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
To clarify, I don't really believe any of you are Blink-182 fans. Mostly because I don't think they actually exist.

Also, your bullpens will kill you all. Seriously, Rick Honeycutt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
The only surprise there is that we won a game. Still, the season as a whole went much better than it had any right to, so I'm happy as a whole.

Next season's priority looks to be to try to fix the pitching.