Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I finally watched The Tall Man, and while I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed it I can heartily second those here who said it drifted wildly away from anything expected.

For that alone, it's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tickle monster
Aug 20, 2006
is in your closet

caiman posted:

Are there any zombie movies in the spirit of The Video Dead that don't suck? Zombies coming out of the TV = awesome. Everything else about the movie = poo poo.

TerrorVision is bizarre and colorful and really entertaining, and the previously mentioned Demons 2 would be pretty much perfect.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't seen anyone post about No One Lives yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eiko_J6mfE

Caught the red band trailer before Lords of Salem and groaned when I saw it was a WWE Studios film but drat if the plotline isn't right up my alley.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Strontosaurus posted:

Caught the red band trailer before Lords of Salem and groaned when I saw it was a WWE Studios film but drat if the plotline isn't right up my alley.

It's a Ryuhei Kitamura movie, so yeah it's going to pretty much loving own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It probably won't be anytime soon, but someday the marketplace will catch up, if the MPAA and studios ever get their heads out of their asses far enough to see how much money they're throwing away by not having a system in place to let people go online and do just what you're talking about. Even though they are getting shorter, delayed releases of any kind are making less and less sense given the realities of the current technology.

It's kind of happening right now, it's just not an industry-wide thing. There are a few movies released every month on VOD with a limited release in theatres at the same time; Magnet's a good example of this. WWE Films got its start doing this, back when people bought DVD's.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Strontosaurus posted:

Holy poo poo that trailer looked bad rear end. I'm kind of hyped to see it but I understand your mixed emotions about it being a WWE film. I know when I saw the trailer for The Call I was confused because it clearly said it was a WWE film but it didn't look like poo poo. I haven't seen the movie my self but I might want to go check out No One Lives.

Diogenes Ex
Feb 4, 2011

by T. Finninho

Volume posted:

Holy poo poo that trailer looked bad rear end. I'm kind of hyped to see it but I understand your mixed emotions about it being a WWE film. I know when I saw the trailer for The Call I was confused because it clearly said it was a WWE film but it didn't look like poo poo. I haven't seen the movie my self but I might want to go check out No One Lives.

The Call was bought by WWE at a film festival. If this one was just bought as well it might be good. If it's homegrown, no.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm curious, what scene did it for you? The one that stopped me and I almost didn't come back to it was the point where she finds the hidden basement torture chamber and the girl with the mask bolted into her head. As soon as she makes that discovery, you get this sinking feeling where you just know that what happens next is going to be awful. Then with the mask, there's something about that level of dehumanization that hit a deep nerve and made me not feel well for a while.

Yeah it was right around there that I stopped as well. For me it was a combination of the scene where Anna takes the mask off that girl followed by the realization that the same, or worse, was about to happen to Anna herself. At that point I just like "nope, I don't even want to know", so I just stuck the movie back in the netflix sleeve and never looked back. I'd agree that the dehumanization aspect was also what got me the most, because I've seen worse gore in other films and not had it bother me nearly as much.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Strontosaurus posted:

poo poo that looks rad as hell.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
While reading about WWE Studios, I ran across this:

quote:

Lionsgate and WWE have been working at rebooting the LEPRECHAUN horror series, with WWE star Dylan “Hornswoggle” Postl attached to play the Leprechaun. WWE Studios President Michael Luisi gave the project its first update in quite awhile:

“The tone is going to be a little darker…A little more traditional horror than the Warwick Davis ones that people remember. [We're] trying to find a way to please fans of that genre but, at the same time, this is really being played for scares.”

The film is viewed as a reboot, with no ties to the original six movies that starred Warwick Davis. A cameo is still possible for the fan fave.

I can't really find any information on it, other than this little blurb posted on all of the horror sites. Leprechaun in Space is still one of my favorite "put a monster in space" movies.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ariza posted:

While reading about WWE Studios, I ran across this:

I can't really find any information on it, other than this little blurb posted on all of the horror sites. Leprechaun in Space is still one of my favorite "put a monster in space" movies.

Any 'Leprechaun' movie without Warwick Davis is not a real Leprechaun movie and gives you an idea of just how awful the script must be for him to refuse to participate in this. Alternively, so low-budget they wouldn't even give him what, $50 bucks per diem and a case of natty lite? Considering the budget for Leprechaun:Back 2 Tha Hood, I can't imagine it was much more than that then.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 1, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If that's his most intimidating face they're going to have to have some pretty boss makeup.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

Any 'Leprechaun' movie without Warwick Davis is not a real Leprechaun movie and gives you an idea of just how awful the script must be for him to refuse to participate in this. Alternively, so low-budget they wouldn't even give him what, $50 bucks per diem and a case of natty lite? Considering the budget for Leprechaun:Back 2 Tha Hood, I can't imagine it was much more than that then.

After watching Life's Too Short and the last season of An Idiot Abroad, I really like Warwick Davis now and I'm kinda glad he's not going back to the hood anymore.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ariza posted:

After watching Life's Too Short and the last season of An Idiot Abroad, I really like Warwick Davis now and I'm kinda glad he's not going back to the hood anymore.

Me too, but I'm hoping that Ricky doesn't rub off too much on him, the last thing we need is for Warwick to become so self-important that he refuses to star in more great passable but entertaining horror/b-movies ever again :ohdear:

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 1, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Twee as gently caress posted:

I doubt they even asked for Davis. It sounds to me like WWE picked up the property as a vehicle for their own star (a midget wrestler named Hornswoggle who has a leprechaun gimmick).

Strontosaurus posted:

I posted a bit about it before - it's not bad, definitely an above-average flick that tries some new twists on the traditional slasher.

I can't watch that trailer at work but I hope they don't spoil one scene in the movie that totally makes the whole film and I've never seen anything like it in a horror movie before.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 1, 2013

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

If that's his most intimidating face they're going to have to have some pretty boss makeup.

It's one of his 2 faces. He has that one, and like a doe-eyed "What me?, I'm just a cute midget leprecaun" face. The guy stands out as a bad actor in professional wrestling, I have no idea how anyone thought this was a good project to sink money into. Hopefully the budget is like $5000.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

penismightier posted:

Also Demons 2 does the TV stuff pretty good.

Demons 2 also has a random Ghoulie out of nowhere which taken in context is pretty funny.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

flashy_mcflash posted:

I can't watch that trailer at work but I hope they don't spoil one scene in the movie that totally makes the whole film and I've never seen anything like it in a horror movie before.

Well hell I had no interest in this but now :mad:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

the_american_dream posted:

Well hell I had no interest in this but now :mad:

Yeah, that trailer especially piqued my interest.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just saw The Tenant, and....really liked it.

It was really effective at slowly, slowly building up a sense of unease. The main character kind of reminds me of Toby Mcguire as Peter Parker, where he's just shat on by everyone around him in small ways, but it builds the gently caress up.

It's also got one of my favorite scenes in any movie: When he takes the distraught, crying guy to a bar, two guys walk in, and proclaim something like, 'Everyone, round's on me!" Then, he looks at the crying man, and says, 'Everyone, but you." It's just perfectly acted, and wonderfully, just so hosed up to a stranger. There's another moment like this too, and it is amazing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rapdawg posted:

Cannot find any way to watch The Last Exorcism Part II so I'm guessing its not on Netflix or On Demand anywhere. Sometimes I wish I could mail the people a check for ten dollars and get an HD file.

Last night we watched Sinister which was neat until it explained itself and The Possesion which was cool as a Jewish response to normally Catholic exorcism movies.

Do yourself a favor and skip The Last Exorcism Part II because it's just an awful piece of poo poo. I had to watch it at work (by had, I mean there wasn't anything else to do while it digitized) and I ended up playing my 3DS halfway through and keeping it on in the background because it's just so dull and nothing really interesting happens.

Watched The Collection last night and my god is it ever terrible. gently caress this stupid movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who you gonna trust, the guy who watched it or the guy who couldn't put his videogame down for 5 minutes?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I found Maniac to disturbing to finish it, something about the first person point of view made me rather queasy. I will say I think it's a good movie. I watched the first Maniac and loved it. This one was to much. It really wasn't all that graphic either, I just found the first person point of view made it a bit intense for me so I turned it off.

I mean it really reminded me a lot of Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer, like a lot. It just had this pervasive uneasyness surrounding the film.

I plan to finish it but I'll probably watch it in 10 to 15 minute chunks of time. Then watch Blazing Saddles.Does anyone else do that? Like watch rough horror movies then immediately "wash it down" with a comedy?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 2, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who you gonna trust, the guy who watched it or the guy who couldn't put his videogame down for 5 minutes?

Maybe it says something about the quality of the film when someone, who's getting paid to watch it, loses interest half way through. :ssh:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Maniac remake is loving wonderful. Some of the most shocking violence I've ever seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sire Oblivion posted:

Maybe it says something about the quality of the film when someone, who's getting paid to watch it, loses interest half way through. :ssh:

Nuh uh!

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

The Maniac remake is good and I really like Elijah Wood but he just couldn't pull off the creepiness that Joe Spinell did in the original.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

caiman posted:

The Maniac remake is loving wonderful. Some of the most shocking violence I've ever seen.

I loved it and I can't wait to see a behind-the-scenes documentary or something. Everything I've read about shooting that movie has sounded super difficult and fascinating, but in a way that I really haven't been able to wrap my head around.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

demozthenes posted:

I loved it and I can't wait to see a behind-the-scenes documentary or something. Everything I've read about shooting that movie has sounded super difficult and fascinating, but in a way that I really haven't been able to wrap my head around.

It couldn't have been as hard to make as Enter the Void.

Not to take anything away from it.

It's great.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

This is a good thread.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I want to see Maniac. I thought it came out in June? Where are people seeing it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched the recent trailer for "The Conjuring" and found it to be a lot less effective than the first trailer. The first one didn't show much but had the regular person hands providing scares (Clapping and grabbing from under the stairs etc). In the updated trailer it is all "jump scare because scary looking dead person is hanging out where you didn't expect". BOOGIDTY BOOGIDTY! Oh well. :(

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I know this isn't really horror but I saw Paranorman and it was loving awesome. The animation for the ghost girl/witch at the end was pretty frightening. It had some cute commentary on horror films. I'm a sucker for animation though.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

With the influx of movies added to netflix instant yesterday, one is called "Bad Kids go To Hell." It stars a bunch of nobodies and Judd Nelson is in it for like 25 seconds. It's like a ghost story version of the Breakfast Club. They tried really hard to be "hip" like Detention was but failed pretty poorly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

priznat posted:

I watched the recent trailer for "The Conjuring" and found it to be a lot less effective than the first trailer. The first one didn't show much but had the regular person hands providing scares (Clapping and grabbing from under the stairs etc). In the updated trailer it is all "jump scare because scary looking dead person is hanging out where you didn't expect". BOOGIDTY BOOGIDTY! Oh well. :(

Yeah, I feel the same way. Based on the first trailer, I really want to see it, based on the second, I feel like I've seen it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I feel the same way. Based on the first trailer, I really want to see it, based on the second, I feel like I've seen it.

Exactly! I'd seen it, and was unimpressed. Really I'm the easiest mark for scares in horror movies, I freak out over whatever but by the end of the trailer I was like "oh ok the monster is gonna be behind the mirror, HAHA BINGO" *yawn*

Oh well hope Insidious 2 is better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have faith, and I like Patrick Wilson.

penismightier posted:

This is a good thread.

It's a big thread.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have faith, and I like Patrick Wilson.

Whoa I just looked him up for his other movies, I hadn't even realized he was Shaw's dad in Prometheus!

I really like Vera Farmiga and Lily Taylor too so I'm hoping it is a good flick overall.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's the first big laugh in Prometheus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

priznat posted:

I really like Vera Farmiga

Vera Farmiga's amazing and apparenlty she's at the top of her game in that new Pyscho tv show.