Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

ASMR Yodeling posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/classic-dungeons-dragons.php

Terrific installment. That old school art was 90% of the charm of those modules for me, unless block-text and tournament-style encounters possess a charm that escapes me.

I saw a photo of Erol Otus once, and was profoundly disappointed that he looked like a normal human being and not, I don't know, some kind of cave-dwelling monster. He certainly taps into something "off" and vaguely atavistic. I bet he's fun at parties.

edited to add: I'm disappointed the artists didn't go more nuts with Q1. Between the spiderweb bridge, the demons out the wazoo, and the bottom level with entire universes behind doorways, that module was deserving of its own pop-out art book (it didn't have one, right?). Otus could've made his masterpiece, presumably an underage-spider sexorium.

That pop up book sounds like a psychedelic version of the Pop Up Book of Phobias, meaning a must have for any coffee table collection.

What I love about Q1 is that it was either awesome or goofy.

Awesome:

Goofy:

Awesome:

Goofy (but a really rad trip):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
That elf is pretty pissed off.

I would be too. Smiley faces are annoying.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

That elf is pretty pissed off.

I would be too. Smiley faces are annoying.

God that elf would suck so hard to party with

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
After the smash hit that was the Random Encounter Generator, we now have the NPC Generator!
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/random-npc-tool.php

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

We have three of those toolkit things planned.

We're also considering a new summer art contest to create a monster manual. We would award fabulous prizes and I have been talking to an exciting guest to do the cover art.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

elpintogrande posted:

We're also considering a new summer art contest to create a monster manual. We would award fabulous prizes and I have been talking to an exciting guest to do the cover art.

That is so excellent.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

elpintogrande posted:

This is exciting.

Probably a stupid question, but news and updates for the art contest will be posted in this thread right?

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Vivoviparous posted:

This is exciting.

Probably a stupid question, but news and updates for the art contest will be posted in this thread right?

It will be announced in here, sure, but it will get its own thread in GBS for the contest.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
New Article: Epic Level monsters.
This wole thing was pretty amazing. 260,000+ HD monsters, you say? I think my favorite was that space dragon at the end that was so infused with inter-dimensional cosmic powers that it didn't even really look like anything.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I think being randomly plane-shifted into the Elephant Man's stomach dimension should be added to wild magic rolls.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How do you even begin to roll 260,000 hit dice without a computer? I mean I guess you could just take the average of the dice and then multiply it by 260,000 but that kinda seems like cheating.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Out of everything ridiculous and overdone in that book, the one that stuck out for me was the table on hiding by size range.

At Mega-Fine size, or between 48 and 96 miles tall, the creature gets a -64 modifier to its hide skill.

Now part of this might just be that I don't know the mechanics of the game (maybe that -64 is on some type of exponential scale?), but it might just be easier to say that once something gets to 75 miles tall, or even 10 miles tall, that it is not going to be hiding at all. But the chart follows the mathematical progression even when it stops making any sense.

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!

glowing-fish posted:

Now part of this might just be that I don't know the mechanics of the game (maybe that -64 is on some type of exponential scale?), but it might just be easier to say that once something gets to 75 miles tall, or even 10 miles tall, that it is not going to be hiding at all. But the chart follows the mathematical progression even when it stops making any sense.

I can only assume that at this scale, creatures get powers like "Summon: Small Moon" to cover their giant asses. And then it becomes a game of what's behind that moon. A space dragon? A Mega-Ant? Perhaps 10^37 gold pieces? (even the honeypots scale exponentially).

This book would've blown my mind when I was 10. Not so much with the idea of rolling 10,000 D8's for hit points, as it would be getting together with fellow nerdlings and pointing out how many hit dice these things have. That's what we did with the demon princes anyway.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
For some size comparisons, Mt. Everest's peak is a little under 5.5 miles above sea level, and the deepest part of the Mariana Trench is 6.85 miles below sea level. Earth's atmosphere extends about 75 miles from the surface.

Also, I know it was discussed at some length in the article, but I just can't get over how utterly horrible and unreadable that title font is. Especially those capitals that contain their lowercase versions. What the hell is that font and who made it? :stonk:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Alpha3KV posted:

New Article: Epic Level monsters.
This wole thing was pretty amazing. 260,000+ HD monsters, you say? I think my favorite was that space dragon at the end that was so infused with inter-dimensional cosmic powers that it didn't even really look like anything.

This isn't anything new, really. Anyone remember Deities and Demigods, back in the '80s? They basically turned entire pantheons of gods into high level monsters.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

glowing-fish posted:

Out of everything ridiculous and overdone in that book, the one that stuck out for me was the table on hiding by size range.

At Mega-Fine size, or between 48 and 96 miles tall, the creature gets a -64 modifier to its hide skill.

It's an extension of the way they meticulously list every stat for each monster, yes it doesn't make sense, but it's there because spergs and rules lawyers need it to be expressly put out there to settle stupid arguments.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Gynovore posted:

This isn't anything new, really. Anyone remember Deities and Demigods, back in the '80s? They basically turned entire pantheons of gods into high level monsters.

That was actually covered in a very early edition of WTF D&D.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
What I'm wondering is how any possible world could survive more than a single bullshit tornado-man attack.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Improbable Lobster posted:

What I'm wondering is how any possible world could survive more than a single bullshit tornado-man attack.

Just get a bunch of electricity resist gear and buffs and make sure your tank has a few thousand hit points. Get your Cleric to snag the Planar Turning feat to get rid of the elemental swarm crap and just kill it in three rounds so you don't get the thunder worm. Easy poo poo.

thurdl01
Oct 20, 2008
Heaven help me, I'm actually considering a short-run campaign that starts with the first level characters being eaten by something similar to the Gibborim and working their way through the creature ahead of facing the final boss, its heart.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thurdl01 posted:

Heaven help me, I'm actually considering a short-run campaign that starts with the first level characters being eaten by something similar to the Gibborim and working their way through the creature ahead of facing the final boss, its heart.

If it dies the demiplane collapses and its contents are forever lost.

"Good work, you destroyed the heart! As you high-five the ground starts to shake, the walls fall in, and the demiplane collapses around you. You are nothing. Whoops, guess you should have just waited for rescue."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Angela Christine posted:

If it dies the demiplane collapses and its contents are forever lost.

"Good work, you destroyed the heart! As you high-five the ground starts to shake, the walls fall in, and the demiplane collapses around you. You are nothing. Whoops, guess you should have just waited for rescue."
Not many can choose to live forever. But one can choose how to die. The death of the unsung hero, removing an abomination from our world, is the highest form of honor and self-sacrifice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

thurdl01 posted:

Find the old Tom Wham game Snits Revenge, Steve Jackson republished it a few years ago. It's pretty much this in board game form.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What's this about a font made out of ninjas?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
God, the one game with the ELH that I played in back in college was bullshit enough, I can't imagine what it would be like to try using that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I was taken aback by how each cover was sweeter than the previous one in the latest article until i got to the loving Mecha Sphinx. The Far Cry Blood Dragon comparison was right, this is what a true awesome RPG should be like, not an universe-sized dragon with a hundred zillion hitpoints, but being balls out awesome.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

You guys need to play this poo poo for us.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Every other RPG made me say, "drat, that's ridiculous." But with TORG, it's like "WHY AM I NOT PLAYING THIS RIGHT NOW?!?"

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
poo poo yes son. This is what RPGs are about. Love the update!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
As someone who is at least passingly familiar with most major RPGs, I think its odd that I've never seen TORG before. I would think that I would have seen at least a volume of it on he shelves of a Goodwill somewhere. Was this a regional thing?

One of the few problems with WTF, DnD (which is pretty much my favorite feature on SA) is that since its already successfully plumbed the craziest depths of the RPG world, anything else is going to be a let-down. Sure, this TORG stuff is full of 80s RPG tropes, but after we've seen Synnibar, its anticlimactic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

As someone who is at least passingly familiar with most major RPGs, I think its odd that I've never seen TORG before. I would think that I would have seen at least a volume of it on he shelves of a Goodwill somewhere. Was this a regional thing?

No, it was nationwide. West End chose to focus on promoting Star Wars and Paranoia to the exclusion of anything else they ever did.

In the Fatal And Friends 2 thread in Traditional Games someone is going through the TORG books, come by and check it out:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541453

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm disappointed that there wasn't a review of the Nile Empire cover, because, man, look at that poo poo...

A Pharaoh supervillain with mummy loving shocktroopers!

Or the Terminator vs. Hellraiser antics in Tharkold...

Also, there was a Japanese localized edition that someone has kindly put the covers up on Flickr. It looks a bit animu (not surprising since they were done by a Japanese manga artist), but check this poo poo out...

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
"Cyberpapacy" is right now my favorite compound word of all time. It's just so perfect.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
First I learn about the Cyberpapacy, and then I learn that it somehow looks even better anime-fied. Cyberpapacy.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

quote:

Steve: Are furries still a thing? Do people still do that?

Zack: I'm sure many of them have moved on to even weirder things to be/jack off to, but yes, there are still some of them.
Zack?

You don't want to know...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

glowing-fish posted:

I had to come here to make sure to talk up TORG. I have played in a half-dozen TORG campaigns in my gaming years. TORG is genuinely just as awesome as the covers make it seem: Dinosaur people shooting lightning at a Ford Mustang trying to jump a Nazi tank firing on a horde of skeletons; That's TORG(TM)!

It was not a regional thing per se, but it surely thrived in various regions--West End Games fans seemed sort of related to Game Designers' Workshop fans, and since the latter was based in my hometown, there were second-tier-RPG books everywhere. (Also at Gen-Con 1997 West End Games was selling every book for either $1 or $2 on the last day of the convention, and my friend bought 2-3 of every single book they had at the show)

(and now I talk seriously about the game for a minute)
The system's greatest fault is linking to-hit and damage in a single number; if you are the hardest thing in the world to hit, once something does hit you, it is basically guaranteed to kill you. But that is easily house ruled to just doing the damage represented in the difference between the number rolled and the number needed. Oh, and if you try to use something not "supported" by the local "cosm," you make a Reality check--if you fail it, you "disconnect" and stand there staring at the thing you are working with, suddenly trying to figure out what it even is and why you are trying to use it--and if you fail a second time, you get absorbed into the local reality, instantly going from a sentient primitive gopher-man to a Cyber-Priest (personal example).

But other than those two rules (the latter only being bad because your character is supposed to become unplayable if you get "absorbed" twice), TORG is an amazing system, and holds up as well as any other random retro system. One of my Goon-friends made a homebrew D20 TORG variant by cherry-picking a dozen random D20 systems and having each of them (from D20 Resident Evil to D20 EverQuest and D20 Grimm's Fairy Tales) take over part of the planet. By all rights it was the best thing that ever happened in a D20 campaign.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Quarex posted:

and if you fail a second time, you get absorbed into the local reality, instantly going from a sentient primitive gopher-man to a Cyber-Priest (personal example).

But other than those two rules (the latter only being bad because your character is supposed to become unplayable if you get "absorbed" twice), TORG is an amazing system, and holds up as well as any other random retro system.

Wait, what do all the other cyber-priests think of a new cyber-priest suddenly existing? A gopher-man obviously doesn't belong, but a new thing-what-makes-sense-in-this-reality but has no connection to the reality doesn't belong either. "Who is this guy? I didn't go to cyber-seminary with him."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Also, there was a Japanese localized edition that someone has kindly put the covers up on Flickr. It looks a bit animu (not surprising since they were done by a Japanese manga artist), but check this poo poo out...

Those actually look like 80's anime as heck, which is fitting. Too bad i couldn't find their version of the Mecha Sphinx.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

Young Freud posted:

Oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Young Freud posted:

Or the Terminator vs. Hellraiser antics in Tharkold...

I remember seeing an add for this in Dragon magazine and thinking it was to coolest thing ever.

• Locked thread