Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I am replacing all stadiums with the grass field stadium.

gently caress spectators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Joshlemagne posted:

No he was playing dorfs. That's what made it so :psyduck:

The mistake was having dorfs in a match with you at all.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Brainamp posted:

The mistake was having dorfs in a match with you at all.

This is what I meant. Friends don't let friends interact with dorf teams.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Random Hajile posted:

As amazons, your main early advantage over wood elves is that you're harder to knock over. Any 1dbs he throws with anyone other than a wardancer is more likely to cause a turnover than to knock you down. And he's only more likely to be able to dodge if he's got a reroll available. Elves are expensive, so it's not likely he'll have more than two rerolls.

Overall, you want to get rid of the wardancers as soon as possible, because they can nullify a lot of the advantages to screening and caging, plus they are better at knocking you down with block. Your zons are cheap, so don't be afraid to foul with a linewoman if you can get a good gangfoul on a wardancer.

Other than that, force him to roll as many dice as you can. Unless you're making a lot of boneheaded risks, he'll run out of rerolls before you will. Amazons are also deceptively bashy early on. Forcing him into a war of attrition is more likely to benefit you, as it's harder to effectively hit you back. Just be sure to throw your important punches with your blitzers first, and get some guard and mighty blow ASAP. You have 4 players with strength access, be sure to take advantage of that.
Thanks, I'll keep this stuff in mind. I think the cheapness of my players and ability to start with more rerolls is going to be important.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

This is what I meant. Friends don't let friends interact with dorf teams.

Oh, I see what you mean. Believe me I don't play against them by choice. The best part is that the single player campaign is structured like a bunch of tournaments. That game was the playoffs. Guess which team I had to immediately play again in the finals. With half my team dead :suicide:.

But the second game actually didn't go too badly mainly because my werewolves remembered they had claw and killed a few dudes. And I had like a million dollars in inducements.

It also led to the most amazing AI play I've ever seen. I managed to knock the ball loose and had a couple of guys around. He had one dwarf and his deathroller on the ball. I'm thinking "crap I'll never get that deatchroller off there" so I'm thinking how I can push someone onto the ball and hope for a good scatter. So then on his next turn he decides to break tackle directly on to the ball into like four or five tackle zones with the deathroller. I have seen the AI make some incredibly stupid plays, and sometimes they even work. But that was the first time I've ever seen it try to do something that was literally impossible.

To be honest, I'm kind of fascinated by the AI. Just trying to figure out what bizarre and probably contradictory rules it uses to make its decisions is weirdly fun.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Joshlemagne posted:

To be honest, I'm kind of fascinated by the AI. Just trying to figure out what bizarre and probably contradictory rules it uses to make its decisions is weirdly fun.

The AI is truly terrible, I think in part because it doesn't seem to have any sort of "oh poo poo" meter as turn 8 / 16 approach. Time and time again, I've seen it move its only player in scoring position, on turn 7, back out of scoring position in order to help cage, thereby destroying any chance of scoring for the sake of not making a fairly easy pass with rerolls.

Then again, there are the fabulous first-turn TTM plays that ogres and goblins love to make attempt.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

cmndstab posted:

Yeah, I don't know. I hate that snow pitch too because I can't read the drat white-text rolls over the snow.

just increase (decrease?) the opacity of your text box in the options.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

The AI is truly terrible, I think in part because it doesn't seem to have any sort of "oh poo poo" meter as turn 8 / 16 approach. Time and time again, I've seen it move its only player in scoring position, on turn 7, back out of scoring position in order to help cage, thereby destroying any chance of scoring for the sake of not making a fairly easy pass with rerolls.

Then again, there are the fabulous first-turn TTM plays that ogres and goblins love to make attempt.

Yeah it definitely lacks any real gamesense. Although I'm not really one to talk considering the number of times I've finally managed to pick up a loose ball and thought I had a nice easy run to the endzone next tu-HALFTIME.

Probably the biggest thing about the AI I've noticed is that it loves loves loves to dodge. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or provides any kind of an advantage or if its players all have 1 agi, if there's a dodge to be made it's freaking gonna do that dodge. I figure you can count on getting at least 2 or 3 turnovers per game just from stupid failed dodges.

I don't know why but I feel like it could be competent if it just did a little better in a few areas.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
You bads need to stop playing the ai and come to the irc channel to play some real games.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is there some bug that allows 13 players onto the pitch? I've seen 12 players before, but I just finished eking out a draw against an Ogre team that fielded 6 ogres and 7 snotlings every drive.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

cmndstab posted:

Is there some bug that allows 13 players onto the pitch? I've seen 12 players before, but I just finished eking out a draw against an Ogre team that fielded 6 ogres and 7 snotlings every drive.

God drat. That's ridiculous. I've never seen this one before but the amount and variety of bugs in this game never ceases to amuse me.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
You were probably counting the ref.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Box wine posted:

You were probably counting the ref.

It literally said "*team* has 13 players on the pitch". I wouldn't have even noticed otherwise because seriously, I can never even see the drat things, but then I went and checked and there it was.

Edit: Here's the replay for anyone interested. http://www.filedropper.com/replay2013-05-0322-42-36

Try not to cringe too hard at my mediocre plays :sweatdrop:

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 3, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

cmndstab posted:

I've had 13 players on the pitch before and every time this has happened to me it's lasted the whole game. The 12 players bug on the other hand only seems to last for a single drive so I think they're two seperate problems. You'd think it would be very easy for the game to say more than 11 players is a non-starter but... cyanide.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
So, when will Cyanide learn how to code because I may be wrong here but this game doesn't look so terribly complex. How could they have so many creative exotic bugs in their code?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Never, Blood Bowl 2 is coming out sometime in 2014 though.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

cmndstab posted:

I think in the tabletop version of bloodbowl the "titchy" trait that Snotlings have allows them to field over 11 players.

quote:

Titchy - The player is incredibly tiny (even smaller than a Halfling or Goblin.) To represent this he makes all dodge rolls with a +2 modifier and may ignore any enemy tackle zones on the square he is moving to as long as he is not armed with a secret weapon. Titchy player must increase the range by two categories when they make a pass and opposing coaches may add +2 to the injury roll for a Titchy player. Titchy player do not exert a -1 penalty when dodging into their tackle zone. In addition, it is very hard for the ref to keep track of how many Titchy players are on the pitch at any one time. To represent this a coach may be able to set up extra Titchy players every time he set up his team (roll a D6: 1=0 extra, 2-5=1 extra, 6=2 extra), after setting up his normal allocation of 11 players. This may allow teams with Titchy player to have more then eleven player on the field.

However in Chaos edition the skill description makes no mention of this so...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kanthulhu posted:

So, when will Cyanide learn how to code because I may be wrong here but this game doesn't look so terribly complex. How could they have so many creative exotic bugs in their code?

This is what amuses me most about the game. All of the game rules and mechanics are literally completely pre-designed for them. All they had to do was implement the underlying math in a computer program. Prior to Legendary Edition (and maybe in LE, too) there were a TON of really basic bugs that just got the underlying game rules wrong, and a lot of half-implemented mechanics, or ones that weren't implemented at all (like weather). How does a board game adaptation get botched so incredibly horribly? Some stuff like the AI and graphics rendering are excusable because Cyanide would obviously have to do that from scratch, but it's always the most basic mechanics that are most egregiously bugged. It's mind boggling.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mainwaring posted:

I think in the tabletop version of bloodbowl the "titchy" trait that Snotlings have allows them to field over 11 players.

Christ, what edition is that from?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The answer is simple: they spent the entire budget on graphics.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

goatface posted:

Christ, what edition is that from?

There isn't any version that has ever been like that. Titchy was introduced in LRB5 and never worked that way. In LRB4 and prior, the Ogre team had Goblins and worked by normal rules.

edit: Or were Snotlings axed at some point and re-introduced? The rule about rolling a D6 to add additional snotlings to the pitch is not in the latest few editions of the rulebook.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 3, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Got a wight on a necro team that rolled 4 + 6. Is the movement worth it for a wight or should I just grab a regular skill?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speed can be really helpful in blitzing, so if he already has his core blitz skills, I say grab it, but if he doesn't, get those first.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
I would grab a normal skill, ma not worth it on a wight imo, unless he already have POMB, guard and tackle

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You already have MA 8 wolves to build as long-range blitzers, you need the wights for face-smashing support. Go for regular skills.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
Just got done playing a Khorne team. The weather roll was sweltering heat.

He had some bad rolls. All of our teams shown here.

Also, after I kicked I got Perfect Defence; kinda felt bad.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Mainwaring posted:

However in Chaos edition the skill description makes no mention of this so...

Huh. Never saw that rule before. Doesn't mention it in the game and certainly doesn't show a roll for it, but I suppose it's possible that it's there and he just rolled a 6 on each drive.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I've taken the jump and played a few online games. Figured I'd roll a human team to just get a feel for the skill level.

Kinda weird so far, first match was against a gobbo team where I stupidly based him on a kick-off blitz, which allowed his chainsaw dude to murder one of my blitzer. He goes up 2-0 and then... he disconnects and I win? Allows me to buy a replacement blitzer. Next match is some weird 40 second turn lightning match against skaven, and after an initial shock of the time limit, I proceed to herd and punch the poo poo outta him while leaving the ball carrier on the far side near his endzone, and he up and abandons. Finally, another 40 second turn lightning match against Delves, a lot of passing BS between us, but I manage to keep him scoreless. While on turn 14 I decide to stall my on-the-line scoring opportunity in case he could muster a drive, which screws me because the next turn he bases my dude and I can't dodge out and it's a 0-0 draw.

As interesting as the lightning games are, is there any way to avoid that in match making preferences? I can't find it anywhere.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 7, 2013

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Bootcha posted:

So I've taken the jump and played a few online games. Figured I'd roll a human team to just get a feel for the skill level.

Kinda weird so far, first match was against a gobbo team where I stupidly based him on a kick-off blitz, which allowed his chainsaw dude to murder one of my blitzer. He goes up 2-0 and then... he disconnects and I win? Allows me to buy a replacement blitzer. Next match is some weird 40 second turn lightning match against skaven, and after an initial shock of the time limit, I proceed to herd and punch the poo poo outta him while leaving the ball carrier on the far side near his endzone, and he up and abandons. Finally, another 40 second turn lightning match against Delves, a lot of passing BS between us, but I manage to keep him scoreless. While on turn 14 I decide to stall my on-the-line scoring opportunity in case he could muster a drive, which screws me because the next turn he bases my dude and I can't dodge out and it's a 0-0 draw.

As interesting as the lightning games are, is there any way to avoid that in match making preferences? I can't find it anywhere.

1. Dem tables!
2. You can set your preferred minimum/maximum time limits when you search for a game, and should probably just stick to 4 minute rounds in all circumstances.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I assume you're using matchmaking? There is an option in there for which time limits you'll accept. You have to set it individually for each team you make though.

I only ever use 2 min or 4 min. 40 seconds is a terrible game and usually the people trying to run those have optimised teams specifically for that turn length and it kind of sucks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

To clarify on the location, when you are choosing which teams you want matched(right after clicking on matchmaking), clicking on a team's name will bring up two additional dropdowns for minimum and maximum turn lengths. As said above, this needs to be set for each team you make individually.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Against random strangers I've actually grown to prefer 2 minute matchups to 4. Some people use every second of their 4 minutes every single turn even when there's very little to think about that turn. It starts to drive you insane playing against those people. 2 minutes gives you that feeling of having to think quick, while still actually giving you time to do thinking unlike the 40 second matches.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 7, 2013

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I had quite a lot of fun with 40s maches with orcs though. Just clicky clicky punch punch punch.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Which teams are fully considered "B-Teams"? Halflings, Goblins Ogres for sure, but are Vampires and Khorne Demons intentionally bad?

I'm not interested in nitpicking about which teams are top tier, only in knowing which are complete trash by design, so I can have some fun with them!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Khorne Daemons a little bit, Vampires and Underworld definitely yes but not quite as bad as Halflings or Ogres.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Weinertron posted:

Which teams are fully considered "B-Teams"? Halflings, Goblins Ogres for sure, but are Vampires and Khorne Demons intentionally bad?

I'm not interested in nitpicking about which teams are top tier, only in knowing which are complete trash by design, so I can have some fun with them!

There are three semi-official tiers. Tier I are most likely to win a game and are the Elf teams, Dwarf, Human, Orc, Skaven, Undead, Amazon, and Norse. Tier II are average, and are expected to win about half of their games, and are Chaos, Chaos Dwarf, Necromantic, Khemri, Lizardman, Nurgle, and Vampire. Tier III are like the gimmick teams that can be a lot of fun but are still expected to lose most of their games, and are Ogre, Goblin, Halfling, and Underworld.

These are not perfect, Khemri being in Tier II post-nerf is particularly suspect but they're still viable if you get a little lucky with some skillups, I guess. Underworld is probably the most viable tier III team. The one thing to take away from the tier lists, since they were made by the creators of the rules, is that Vampires and Khemri are probably supposed to be better than they are in reality, and Underworld are supposed to somehow be worse.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I'm surprised Amazons count as Tier 1. They're really good for the first few games, but it doesn't take very long before their complete lack of varied stats comes back to bite them, and they are very injury-prone. Yeah, all the Dodge is great, but they really need a big guy or something, or a little variety like the Norse do. As is, they just stop being competitive once you get up over a certain TV barrier, usually around 1300.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are three semi-official tiers. Tier I are most likely to win a game and are the Elf teams, Dwarf, Human, Orc, Skaven, Undead, Amazon, and Norse. Tier II are average, and are expected to win about half of their games, and are Chaos, Chaos Dwarf, Necromantic, Khemri, Lizardman, Nurgle, and Vampire. Tier III are like the gimmick teams that can be a lot of fun but are still expected to lose most of their games, and are Ogre, Goblin, Halfling, and Underworld.

Thank you so much for this. I'm starting a small tournament with half new players, so the experienced guys are playing B-teams.

One of my friends backed out, so if anybody here is willing to be a good sport and play a stunty team against extremely new players playing Orcs, Amazons, and other simple strong teams shoot me a PM. We'll be aiming for 1 game a week like the goonbowl. We need a 10th player and would love to get a Vampire or Underworld team!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

These are not perfect, Khemri being in Tier II post-nerf is particularly suspect but they're still viable if you get a little lucky with some skillups, I guess. Underworld is probably the most viable tier III team. The one thing to take away from the tier lists, since they were made by the creators of the rules, is that Vampires and Khemri are probably supposed to be better than they are in reality, and Underworld are supposed to somehow be worse.

It's also worth noting that this changes as you rise in TV, where stat-light teams like Amazon and Norse do worse and skill-light teams like Chaos and Lizardmen can catch up, since it's much easier to get (for instance) loads of Block as Lizards than it is to get loads of +STR as Norse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Bashy teams with mutation access are often going to be scarier at high team values too, because if you put orcs vs chaos, a few players with claw is going to add up to a lot more armor breaks on the orcs.

• Locked thread