Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Podcat just posted the HoD 3.02 beta patch in the Tech Support subforum on Paradox's site. Beta patch notes:

quote:

Heart of Darkness Patch - 3.01 to 3.02
=============================

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Gameplay Changes
- Forming alliance between 2 GPs is no longer possible when there is active crisis.
- Added liberate LIB decision
- There are now news articles for certain national decisions
- Nationalist movement events no longer fire when provinces are occupied.
- Fixed bug with land units being affected by naval supply throughput penalty by having insufficient naval bases
- Naval distance tracking for colonial ranges is now fully working with buildable canals.
- Fixed exploit where it was possible to manually set trade to certain goods to buy 0, and the naval cap was ignored
- Extra attrition for navies when less then 25% of received goods
- Naval supplies status now affects the repairing speed.
- Fixed bug where releasing a puppet and playing as it, the transferred units couldn't move.
- It's no longer possible to build forts/bases/rails in our provinces that are under enemy control.
- Fixed bug where a small armies of size less then 2999 wasn't able to finish a siege due to rounding errors
- Fixed issue when raising tension in a region split between states where both sides had crisis cores on each other
- Fixed problem in factories economy, where factories were never paying $ to pops even though they were doing a profit and got tons of money saved.
- Fixed an issue with union tags being releasable as dominions (now requires most of the cores as well as other safeguards)
- Fixed issue where a country could get added to the same crisis backer list twice
- Added 20% influence bonus if target is neighboring someone already in your sphere (but not directly bordering)
- Fixed bug where naval base duplicates was not removed when states was merged by converting a colony into the full state.
- Fixed bug where westernizing without being in SoI gave best techs from all GPs.
- Fixed issue where dominions were not always added to sphere
- No longer gets neighbour bonuses to influence for two bordering states that are both colonial
- Successfully enforcing take from sphere wargoal will now set the target to zero influence and Hostile opinion towards the defeated GP.
- Winning Hegemony war will now set all minors of that culture group to zero influence and Hostile opinion towards the defeated GP.
- Winning Hegemony war will now increase influence with all unsphered minors in your culture group.
- Fixed issue where several losers did not get kicked once two countries that were both far ahead of them were competing in colonies
- Investing in guard posts now cost +10 per level which should lead to shorter races
- Added shortcut for colonial investment
- Improvements to Jan Mayen

- Interface Improvements
- Improved alerts for colonization
- Clicking colonization alert now scrolls through target colonies
- Added missing tooltip explanation of what's the battle plan buttons are for
- Goods icons in production view that are disabled because of 0 output are now clickable so it's possible to show the "goods flow" window that is so useful in this screen.
- Fixed bug where naval transports capacity (and other stats) didn't refresh after naval combat where some ships was sunk.
- Fixed unit sorting priority that was messed for battleships and dreadnoughts.
- Fixed new GP news text
- Added some colors in colonial map mode. The 2nd color stripes shows the provinces within the colonial range.
- Added colonization distance to tooltip in colonial mapmode (displayed for any province).
- Extra explanation in attrition tooltip
- Fixed no unread newspapers tooltip
- NF icons on the map, in the NF map mode are no longer rendered under the objects, but completely in front.
- Fixed missing tooltip info in unit view about units strength
- Fixed precision loss noticed in social spendings where sometimes it was saying that we can't afford to pay more then certain fraction. Fix was general to all distribution sliders.
- Tooltip for cost to make state now always show colonial power requirements
- Fixed list of newspapers window that was overlapping the screen after clicking any tab.
- Units scheduled for mobilizations are now showing paths to the nearest rally points (in recruitment map mode).
- Added info in tooltips explaining that can't colonize because of liferating. Now it lists the techs and inventions the life rating can be researched.
- Fixed ill formatted battleship names for US
- Fixed tiling issue on map where you would sometimes find black lines flickering
- Message type that says about some country being taken from our SoI is now default as popup=yes.
- Fixed corrupted railroad drawn between provinces on the edge of the world
- Fixed mismatch in siege efficiency numbers written in the unit view and it's tooltip.
- Fixed bad leader looooong names printing in the unit view.
- The sphere alert icon now may turn red when some SoIs have problems with rebels (if they break the country we may loose the SoI).
- Tweaked the naval ships sprites drawing weighted priority, so it's more possible to draw battleships and dreadnoughts in the unit stack.
- Colonization icons on the map are now showing up to 4 colonizing countries.
- NF to increase crisis tension in the outliner, now shows extra tension details in the tooltip.
- Plus many small typo and text fixes

- Database Changes
- US now starts with cores on Oregon, Idaho and Washington to discourage british colonization
- Corrected factor on clinical_thermometers_and_binaural_stethoscopes
- Improved transport network reform now grants railway tech and improves RGO eff
- Fixed bug where unciv reforms couldn't build rails/forts because of the political party rules.
- Newspaper - Should no longer print about war declared when such war is over.
- Congo provinces added to generic rubber event
- France can no longer take End The Merina Monarchy decision while either they or Madagascar ar at war.
- Fixed issue with fascists supporting all reforms even when not in power
- Gave Portugal some extra starting colonial points
- Added missing localizations for some battleplan tools descriptions.
- Less potato blight
- USA and MOR now have good (+75) relations
- USA and SIA now have positive relations with eachother
- Broke BUR-SIA relations so that they hate eachothe
- Added at least 1 CAV brigade to all of the Princely States' armies
- Corrected starting placement of FRA's West Indies and India squadrons
- Removed CLM core from Marabitanas
- Switched the 25LRs from Kariba/Kitwe provinces to Quibala/Huambo provinces
- Added GRE cores to Cyprus region
- Removed CAM core from Chanthaburi
- Removed NET core from Sekondi
- Removed PLC claims from most territories lost prior to the 3 Partitions (Estonia, Bryansk, Luhansk, Cherson regions; Chernigov and Poltava provinces)
- Gave POR a few more level 1 ports in 1836 and 1861 to help with their colonial point count
- USA now has a level 1 naval base in Boston and Washington in 1836
- Added COL core to Beatton River
- Added COL cores to uncolonized portions of the Oregon Country
- Macaronesian provinces are no longer colonial in 1836 as well as in 1861
- buffed added ports in Oporta and Beja to level 2 in 1861
- Guatemala has Mayan as an accepted culture
- Nicaragua had capital for 1861 bookmark corrected from Leon to Managua
- Paraguay now has Guarani as an accepted culture
- Added ZUL/AFG/ABU/YEM reform changes
- Fixed issue where Uruguay is a democracy with no voting rights in 1836
- Gave Pocatello and Boise to USA in 1836 to block MEX from Idaho and to give USA access to Oregon *
- Cherokee national value and literacy now correspond to those of USA, and the reforms are similar. CHE is also protestant religion in 1861. They also start civved so their reforms work as given from start.
- Seeded Russia (300), Denmark/Mexico/Netherlands/Portugal/Romania (200) and Serbia (100) with some capitalists in 1861
- Rebalanced Cherokee population in 1861 so that the vast majority is correctly placed in the Talequah province.
- The "Annex Hawaii" decision can only be done once
- Added decisions for LIB (Liberia) to become independent and to enact a constitution and get their 1861 reforms
- Enacting Webster-Ashburton Treaty now removes CAN cores from Caribou and Bangor
- Added comet sighted option

- Performace and Stability
- Fixed CTD caused by an AI upgrading and destroying factories in the same state
- Added file versioning into naval distances cache file, so people don't have to delete manually when we do some changes in game.
- Migration tracker wasn't really freeing memory once per month for all buffers, now it does. Memory usage should no longer grow so much after several hours of playing game.
- Fixed potential crash during rebel type selection in startup.
- Fixed multiplayer out of sync caused by disbanding undermanned soldiers.
- Fixed an infinite freeze after game resign.
- Fixed an issue where some savegames could become corrupted when writing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
- AI Improvements
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Fixed a bug where extremely disproportional army sizes would cause a huge negative modifiers to alliance chance.
- AI allies more reliable in long wars.
- AI will now always accept surrender in a crisis, even if it's early.
- AI will now disband cavalry and irregulars after it civilizes.
- AI better at getting mil access to reach their enemies
- AI will now always accept mil access if it is in their strategic interest to do so
- Fixed issue where the units were sometimes stuck during invasion.
- Fixed bug where AI was offering white peace to the non-leading opponents and taking GW capitulation on their whole side.
- Several fixes to AI army management, it should try to avoid disbanding troops more now.
- AI will now make use of the encourage soldiers NF
- AI should be much better at using encourage pop NFs
- Now better at maintaining a healthy population of soldiers in general
- Will now always accept alliance with overlord if a puppet
- Will now seek to break alliances with non-overlord allies if a puppet
- Will consider attacking countries they have friendly sphere relations with if they have a valid CB
- Now better at guarding straits adjacent to their home area
- More eager to attack countries that go over the infamy limit
- Will now avoid being primary backer in a crisis if it recently led the losing side in another crisis
- Will no longer care about potential canals for the first few decades
- Will now make use of the add to sphere CB to take control of potential canals
- Fixed a bug where the AI would not offer alliances to players
- Fixed a bug with war direction in the peace AI
- Fix for UK AI disbanding its fleets in early game
- Fix for bad math in determining crisis backers (Russia backing Ottomans!)
- Revamped AI logic for dominion releasing
- Ai no longer releases half colonies like melonstralia
- Improved AI colonizing priorities and evaluation for backing down
- The british fleet is now much less prone to hiding in port and pretending enemy fleets don't exist.
- Fixed a bug where AI could white peace in a crisis where both sides had added goals.
- AIs will no longer disband armies or fleets in the first months of the game before the economy has stabilized
- AI no longer obsessed with sphering countries that control canal provinces unless they have a nearby province
- AI no longer obsessed with sphering the Kiel canal unless it has good reason to do so.
- Fixed a bug that was making the AI prioritize sphering distant uncivs over more important targets (such as union cores).
- Fixed a bug that was causing AI armies to 'freeze' in planned invasion mode while their homelands were being invaded.
- No longer interested in invading colonies unless it is a colonial war.
- Various improvements to naval and naval invasion AI.
- Fixed a bug with great war capitulation that was causing wars to never end.

- User Modding
- New on_collection.txt script file for newspapers let modders control expiry of articles
- Loading screens now takes textures from proper folders in mods.

Podcat posted:

The short and sweet list is basically:
- UI improvements in many places
- AI colonization will be much better (i.e no watermelonstralia)
- AI is much improved in many areas when it comes to diplomacy and warfare
- The factory payout bug was squashed
- AI surrendering to minors in great wars bug is squashed
- Straights actually update distances and such now, blocking super colonizer austria etc

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah that's a hefty patch, seems to have addressed almost all the issues.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Drone posted:

Podcat just posted the HoD 3.02 beta patch in the Tech Support subforum on Paradox's site. Beta patch notes:

- Added comet sighted option

Best patch.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Drone posted:

Ah, this sounds amazing! It looks like they're fixing every issue I had with HoD and then some. About how long after a beta patch does the final version usually come out?

I think probably my favorite is

quote:

Fix for bad math in determining crisis backers (Russia backing Ottomans!)
because that was the most noticeable flaw in my Persia game. The same country, faced with the same crisis a few years after a white peace, would often back different sides, even without any real changes in politics or diplomacy between the nations involved.

And I'll be glad to no longer see one-province India.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 3, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Drone posted:

- Fixed bug where westernizing without being in SoI gave best techs from all GPs.

...that was a bug? :(

Whenever I play as an unciv, I can never seem to get nations to sphere me. I get relations to 200, I conquer neighbors to make sphereing me a more worthwhile investment, in my new game as Ethiopia I'm even bordering the UK while at 200 relations, and still I check my GP influences, I'm always at neutral with everyone, maybe with a couple of points with random nations. I know the UK has more pressing matters than sphereing Ethiopia, but even at 200 relations, they don't even seem interested in it as a side project. It just feels really frustrating for having getting sphered as an unciv important, but it's entirely handled by behind the scenes AI calculations I can only kinda influence.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Ah, this sounds amazing! It looks like they're fixing every issue I had with HoD and then some. About how long after a beta patch does the final version usually come out?

A week or two. probably two.

Also I hope you'll like the Jan Mayern improvements, brought to you by Wiz being crazy and me drinking too much wine on a sunday.

podcat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 3, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

podcat posted:

a week or two. probably two.

also I hope you'll like the Jan Mayern improvements, brought to you by Wiz being crazy and me drinking too much wine one a sunday.

Give us some spoilers? :D

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

podcat posted:

also I hope you'll like the Jan Mayern improvements, brought to you by Wiz being crazy and me drinking too much wine one a sunday.

I was about to ask what those improvements entailed. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. But I would like it to be the source of a War of the Worlds-esque 'alienattack' cheat. Just so you know.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

podcat posted:

The best improvements all come from crazy. :colbert:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Seems like UK will finally be an actual GP and not a paper one. Drives me nuts when I'm in a great war on UK's side and they send like, 10 brigades out of 400 while keeping Ireland and Wales safe.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
So many nice changes :woop: I'll have to check this out at some point.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A sneak peak at the most glorious nation in the world, and a new map feature. A big improvement, though Paradox has yet to fix the geography I pointed out many months ago. :argh:

:norway:
Will Australia get kangaroos and dodos?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nightblade posted:

:norway:
Will Australia get kangaroos and dodos?
Would only be fair, if the Swedes get moose soldiers. Well, apart from the dodos, which should be on Mauritius, not Australia. :colbert:

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
I just bought HoD a few days ago and I've been enjoying it a ton, after buying V2+AHD when they came out its the first time I've really clicked with it.

However, I've ran into a problem with my parliament, I've become plagued by Laissaz-Faire and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I've tried running multiple elections but I just can't seem to shift it, regardless of my party.

Is there any trick to the voting system or am I stuck with a crippling 50% tax on all my lucrative poor folk?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Armani Glasses posted:

I just bought HoD a few days ago and I've been enjoying it a ton, after buying V2+AHD when they came out its the first time I've really clicked with it.

However, I've ran into a problem with my parliament, I've become plagued by Laissaz-Faire and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I've tried running multiple elections but I just can't seem to shift it, regardless of my party.

Is there any trick to the voting system or am I stuck with a crippling 50% tax on all my lucrative poor folk?

You can use national foci to influence party loyalty in a state. Or, if you plan to try and stick with laissez-faire, you can prioritize researching the tax efficiency techs ASAP.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is it just my homebrew mod, or does the US south really turn liberal very quickly?

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Pylons posted:

You can use national foci to influence party loyalty in a state. Or, if you plan to try and stick with laissez-faire, you can prioritize researching the tax efficiency techs ASAP.

I'll give the focuses a shot, if that doesn't work I'll just trying running with it like you say, although I'm already as high down tax efficient as I can be for my date and I'm losing out on over 1500!

Thank ya.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Armani Glasses posted:

_________________________________________/

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey. Three things with HoD:

1 - I want to add Iron in Brazil (5th largest reserve in the world, known in imperial time, all that jazz). Any helpful guides to do that?

2 - Any help in how to get a communist revolution rolling is appreciated. I tried doing one after I got Dai Nam civilized and get all of Indochina into one prosperous proletarian dictatorship, no luck. Maybe I am just being too impatient?

3 - I've seen posted around some event that helps with manipulating the upperhouse and the collective ideologies, but can't seem to find it :(

Many thanks in advance!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
To add iron you have to find the province you want in history\provinces\south America and then just change the trade good.

I don't know how to manipulate the other things, and I don't want to. There shall be none of this dangerous socialist nonsense in my country, thank you very much.
Especially if they their economy stance is planned. Ugh, it is the worst.

(Bloody rebels always try though. They always try.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Transmetropolitan posted:

Hey. Three things with HoD:

1 - I want to add Iron in Brazil (5th largest reserve in the world, known in imperial time, all that jazz). Any helpful guides to do that?

2 - Any help in how to get a communist revolution rolling is appreciated. I tried doing one after I got Dai Nam civilized and get all of Indochina into one prosperous proletarian dictatorship, no luck. Maybe I am just being too impatient?

3 - I've seen posted around some event that helps with manipulating the upperhouse and the collective ideologies, but can't seem to find it :(

Many thanks in advance!

1. Riso's got this covered, it's a very simple thing to change.

2. The trick to getting any given ideology to seize power is generally to do the exact opposite of what they want. Most of us approach Vicky 2 with the idea that "Hey if we give these people a couple of reforms they'll see how wonderful it all is and the commies will gain support :haw:". It's the precise opposite - giving people reforms mollifies them and strongly discourages any sort of revolution in that direction. People don't tend to revolt if they feel things are currently decent and/or that the existing system is providing them with the reforms they desire. If you want a commie revolution you need to act like the most bourgie prick in the world, refuse to give the poors anything they want, pick events that drive up their militancy and consciousness, and if possible sit around smoking the finest Cuban cigars lighting them with $100 bills.

The same holds true pretty much whoever you want in power - fascists gain when you lose territory for example.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

What year are you in? I've found that for a lot of countries, around 1890 or so, Communists will start revolting left and right for basically no reason. That's how I ended up with Communist Persia; I never really got a whole lot of events to piss off the commies and yet around 1880 or 90 or so half the country started rebelling under a red flag. I was about to slaughter them all and then I saw that I actually really like the Persian Communist faction's policies, gameplay-wise, so I just moved the army to the other side of the country.

I had the same experience with most former-uncivs, now that I think about it, so maybe just hang in there?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Be the biggest rear end in a top hat. Lose thousands of troops in wars to drive war exaustion up, roll back reforms, close factories for no reason and have thousands of pops be unemployed. I'd also say raise taxes and tariffs through the roof but that's something you should be doing even if you're not trying to run your country into the ground.

Specifics: If you want communists I've found the fasted way to piss them off is have unemployed pops, unemployed pops seem to become communists overnight. Later in the game you also get a ton of events for increasing socialist support in states by huge %'s. If you want fascists lose some cores in a war and they'll start flipping out.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure why all of you are so enthusiastic about communists. Reactionaries until Fascism comes along and Fascists to end of game works really well for me...there's less risk of pops trying to interfere in my micromanagement when I'm an absolute monarchy/presidential dictatorship/fascist dictatorship.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

:master:

(Granted, Obama seems pretty pro-Lazy Fair) Actually no, I'm an idiot.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 3, 2013

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ahahaha, I think this is the hardest I've ever seen a war backfire:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hm. Is there any reason why a factory would be buying all it's inputs when they're produced locally?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Just what Austria needs...more Serbs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It has to buy them locally, it's still buying them.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Gorelab posted:

Hm. Is there any reason why a factory would be buying all it's inputs when they're produced locally?

It still has to buy them from the local producers.

E: And if the local source is getting used up by other things, it'll have to import.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Been playing my first Vicky 2 game for the past few days as the US.
Somehow the Democrats have won every single election I've held despite it now being 1908. A few times the Republicans came close to taking power but never managed it. Now it looks like the Socialists are pushing the Republicans out to become the major second party. 5 US-Mexican wars have been fought and Mexico still holds Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona. The USA and Communist Spain (which controls most of Africa) are close allies along with the USCA. US troops helped the Spanish put down a rebellion in Cubs, France built the Panama Canal and invaded Brazil to take a huge chunk of it, the Netherlands are a major power in the Pacific and Africa, and the North German Federation exists instead of Prussia or Germany.

I'd love to see a history book from that timeline.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 3, 2013

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Somehow the Democrats have won every single election I've held despite it now being 1908. A few times the Republicans came close to taking power but never managed it. Now it looks like the Socialists are pushing the Republicans out to become the major second party. 5 US-Mexican wars have been fought and Mexico still holds Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona. The USA and Communist Spain (which controls most of Africa) are close allies along with the USCA. US troops helped the Spanish put down a rebellion in Cubs, France built the Panama Canal, the Netherlands are a major power in the Pacific, and the North German Federation exists instead of Prussia or Germany.

I'd love to see a history book from that timeline.

(I would take a screenshot of the map but it doesn't seem to be appearing in my Screenshots folder after pressing F11.)

I've found that there's two places screenshots will save to, and I can't see any rhyme or reason as to which one it picks: either in [User]/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/Paradox/Victoria II/Screenshots, or My Documents/Paradox/Victoria II/Screenshots. Whichever one you checked, see if it's in the other one.

I agree about the history book, thing, too. Paradox Games in general always end up in really interesting timelines that I'd love to see a novel or something devoted to.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I find that the trade screen is pretty helpful, but also pretty poorly laid out.

It's good to see what your people need. Where the screen fails is that it doesn't tell you your local production, you need to switch back and forth unless you're a top 5 producer. I'm of course usually a top 5 producer so it's not bad. For instance you hover over clothing and see your people demand 400 and then see you are a top 5 producer producing 150. This means you can massively expand your clothing industries and still have a safe local demand.

Please please please paradox add a little "we produce..." addition to the tool tip there. If you aren't a top 5 producer you have no idea how much you produce so have to go all the way to the production screen, which doesn't tell you how much you consume. Bad!

Anyways, I never used to look at these screens but since monitoring them I have a much healthier economy. It shows you what industries to consider expanding, what you are over producing and might suddenly see shut down if external demand slows down. For instance I was making a KILLING on glass. My people/industries only need about 100 but I was making about 600, I was glass king. Then suddenly I have massive unemployment because england and germany massively expanded their glass production and they no longer needed to import my glass. I also saw I could safely expand my clothing and booze production by a lot to just meet local demand, and then I checked my grain and cloth supply. I was importing cloth so I expanded that. Hmmm I'm importing cotton, better conquer more of africa that produces cotton!

So go check out these screens and let them show you what resources you need.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Nckdictator posted:

Somehow the Democrats have won every single election I've held despite it now being 1908. A few times the Republicans came close to taking power but never managed it. Now it looks like the Socialists are pushing the Republicans out to become the major second party.

You should try expanding the voting base and change the election system. I find that in general the US population turns liberal pretty quickly as a whole, but the voters themselves do not.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I agree about the history book, thing, too. Paradox Games in general always end up in really interesting timelines that I'd love to see a novel or something devoted to.

I want to read the history book for HOI3 1.0.

WTF History posted:

On October 15th, 1941 the greatest naval invasion in history took place, as 200,000 Mexican troops unloaded onto the rocky shores of Finland...

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

I've found that there's two places screenshots will save to, and I can't see any rhyme or reason as to which one it picks: either in [User]/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files/Paradox/Victoria II/Screenshots, or My Documents/Paradox/Victoria II/Screenshots. Whichever one you checked, see if it's in the other one.

Found it, thanks!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DrProsek posted:

...that was a bug? :(

I always thought the bug that existed was you didn't get techs regardless of being in SoI. Maybe HoD fixed that.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've played Paradox games since EU2, but EU3:DW was the only one I ever sank a lot of hours into. Reading about the changes in HOD got me so excited that I gave Vic2 another shot. I had moderately enjoyed a few games before (never made it to the 20th century,) but it all seemed so counter-intuitive. The UI expertly concealed important information, and it felt more like I was fighting the game than playing it. I thought it had potential, but didn't really think it would go much of anywhere.

Boy, was I wrong.

I fired up Vic2 AHD (with NNM) a few days ago and have not stopped playing. This game is legitimately good with AHD. It looks to get exponentially better with HOD, which I'll be buying as soon as the first patch drops. I cannot adequately express how inspiring it has been to see Paradox evolve from a sort of opaque and deterministic style of game design to one that embraces transparency and empowering the player.

That being said, there is always room for improvement. uPen wrote a really good effortpost on that topic.

uPen posted:

So finally finished my Germany game and I've got some thoughts.

Some of his concerns seem to be addressed in the beta patch, but I know others weren't. Please consider implementing them.

Thanks for always striving to make a better game. Now, back to subjugating Europe for me.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Drone posted:

Philadelphia was where the Continental Congress (generally) met during the War for Independence, and it was the provisional capital while Washington, DC was being built. The precedent for Philadelphia is much stronger than the precedent for New York.
Which was 100 years beforehand and had to accommodate the no-longer-existent southern states, as far as choice went. Philly was an open and vulnerable city and had less political influence over the country than New York. If NYC was chosen, you'd get a deep water port and a very defensible position in wartime.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A sneak peak at the most glorious nation in the world, and a new map feature. A big improvement, though Paradox has yet to fix the geography I pointed out many months ago. :argh:
I really hope they just haven't added a detail map to the world map yet. It still looks like it's made of play-doh. The lack of geographic features on the political map, which every other Paradox game has, leads me to believe they're still working on it.

:tito: :srbja: (I should probably make an actual crying flag out of accordion dude. lord knows I've made fifty crying flag gifs for this thread already)

Fintilgin posted:

I want to read the history book for HOI3 1.0.
I would love for my games to turn out as stupid as this. Unfortunately, Paradox has learned how to write decent boilerplate AI. No more Irish invasions of Bukkhara or anything without player intervention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I really hope they just haven't added a detail map to the world map yet. It still looks like it's made of play-doh. The lack of geographic features on the political map, which every other Paradox game has, leads me to believe they're still working on it.

Yeah, it really does look play-doughy. The thing is, you can zoom nearly as far into Europe as you can in CKII, but the height map is much lower resolution (because other wise it would be 20,000 pixels across), so it doesn't look as good.

• Locked thread