Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Pepsi-Tan posted:

A steamed dumpling preferably, my house doesn't really eat many friend foods. Probably something like a chicken mince or shrimp filling. I'll probably do a dipping sauce and then some brothy noodles to go with as well

If you are specifically looking for a dim sum dumpling using glutinous rice flour, I do not think it's possible without making the fried one. Most of the wrappers use wheat flour.

You could make a steamed bao with the fillings you've described, but that would be puffy and doesn't use a dipping sauce.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anybody know what's in that green sauce that some places include with their char siu, and how to make it?

It is likely one that is served with poached chicken.

It consists of equal amounts of finely minced ginger and minced green onion, mixed with a bit of neutral oil and chicken broth. Add very small amounts of oil at a time until you like the consistency it makes with the broth. There may be a bit of salt involved. Mix and taste it, see what's missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

squigadoo posted:

It is likely one that is served with poached chicken.

It consists of equal amounts of finely minced ginger and minced green onion, mixed with a bit of neutral oil and chicken broth. Add very small amounts of oil at a time until you like the consistency it makes with the broth. There may be a bit of salt involved. Mix and taste it, see what's missing.

This sounds exactly right. Thanks!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Anyone here know any good recipe for dim sum using glutinous rice flour? I've tried the wheat starch/corn starch haw gao but I was looking for something with the good ol glutinous rice flour

Cantonese nian gao? It's sweet, if that's a hindrance I can't really help you.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

squigadoo posted:

:aaa: No wonder that sauce tastes so good. You truly learn something new every day.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

Cantonese nian gao? It's sweet, if that's a hindrance I can't really help you.

Thanks, also I'll try making a bao too. Sweetness isn't a hindrance, just the fat/oil. As long as it's steamed or boiled I'm good to go.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You should check out tang yuan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangyuan_%28food%29) They're pretty much the first thing that pops to mind when you say glutinous rice flour.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Rurutia posted:

You should check out tang yuan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangyuan_%28food%29) They're pretty much the first thing that pops to mind when you say glutinous rice flour.

Ah, this looks cool. I'm gonna try to find a savory version of this. Although you can probably just stick pork or chicken mince into one and that'll be authentic enough

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I've had steamed glutinous rice dumplings filled with minced pork, dried shrimp and crushed peanuts made by thai chefs. Not sure how authentic they were but amazing.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
So I made some savory garlic tang yuan tonight floating in a homemade broth. God drat those bastards are chewy, but I kinda like it. Very unique texture.
Also thanks, if they worked steamed for you, then I feel confident trying it steamed.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Quick ingredient question. I'm in Dongguan and I need to get some lime or slaked lime for an alkali solution. Can I head down to the market and ask around for 石灰 or 熟石灰?

Or are they going to stare at the crazy laowai trying to buy cement/spackle at a grain stall?

Haha, just kidding, they'll stare anyway. :ssh:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Asked in the general thread, will try this, though it's not strictly Chinese.

Anyone here versed in South East Asian cuisine?

We have a fairly large Asian expat community here that has resulted in a bunch of great and more traditional Chinese restaurants, several Vietnamese restaurants, two Thai restaurants, and sadly no Korean restaurants but a ton of Viet/Korean run and owned hair and nail salons :P.

My GF is from Shanghai and we've been trying to find a restaurant that helps cure her homesickness a bit. The last few times we've gone to an Asian restaurant she's ordered the Hot Pot. The Hot Pot has largely been the same everywhere and has largely resembled the type of service you get when you order Pho. Huge bowl, delicious broth, noodles, meat, some type of vegetable and greens to go along with it. Regardless of whether or not the restaurant predominantly identifies as Vietnamese or Chinese.

Except for one place, which is the "most" Vietnamese of all the Vietnamese style restaurants. Whereas the other restaurants are focused around serving Vietnamese baguettes with sushi and Pho on the side, this one particular restaurant is almost 100% focused on Pho and Hot Pots. This particular restaurants Hot Pot is not like the soupy Hot Pot you get else where. You get what is basically a ramekin half filled with rice (that has a crispy almost fried texture on the outside reminiscent of tahdiq) and topped with what I believe to be julienned bamboo shoot and thinly sliced onion. Very very very flavorful and definitely not a soup. We go back to this restaurant specifically for their Hot Pot (and a very spicy and ginger heavy variant of Pho that I am in love with).

We were thinking of making this at home, so I've begun looking up recipes, YT vids, etc. Sadly, I have not come across a recipe or video that resembles the Hot Pot I am ordering at my favorite Vietnamese restaurant. Could anyone offer some insight, clarification, etc?

Also, Vietnamese pancakes are freaking awesome.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Hot pot refers to two things. First, 'huo guo' (literally fire pot in Chinese) is the soup on a pot at the table with raw thinly sliced meats and noodles and tofu, etc. The other actually just refers to dishes where clay pot cooking technique is used for fast delicious meals. You soak a clay pot in water overnight, sautee some aromatics (the usual, garlic, ginger, maybe some dried shiitake mushrooms) and some fatty meats (Chinese sausages are perfect for this), mix in your cooked rice and top with whatever else you want to put in there, put in some sauce (usually using soy sauce with brown sugar/rock sugar as a base), bake. It's basically like the Chinese version of a paella.

(I looked for some recipes online for you and some that seem OK:
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/clay-pot-chicken-with-shiitake-mushrooms-and-chinese-sausage.html
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/hungs-clay-pot-rice)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Awesome. Do you happen to know the Chinese word/characters for the latter?

I've had the former before in New York, actually. It was pretty good. I was told it was a Szechuwan style dish.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sha guo. Literally, sand pot.

e: Oops that's the name of the little pots. The dishes all vary in name but a lot of them will have "sha guo" in the name.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 3, 2013

Salty.
Nov 5, 2009
In Cantonese rice done in clay pots that way is called "bo zai fan" and translates to English as "little pot rice".

Salty. fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 3, 2013

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You get what is basically a ramekin half filled with rice (that has a crispy almost fried texture on the outside reminiscent of tahdiq) and topped with what I believe to be julienned bamboo shoot and thinly sliced onion. Very very very flavorful and definitely not a soup. We go back to this restaurant specifically for their Hot Pot (and a very spicy and ginger heavy variant of Pho that I am in love with).

I'm familiar with variations of this as " ____ clay pot rice" with "chicken clay pot rice" being the most common. The most important bit is having your own clay pot and be familiar with its quirks (mine heats unevenly for example -_-" ). http://rasamalaysia.com/claypot-chicken-rice-recipe/

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Help me, goons! There's what I believe to be a quite authentic Chinese restaurant in my neighborhood, and I need to figure out how to make their noodles! Typically we get the "BBQ Pork Soft Noodle," or "叉燒撈麵"? (http://www.firstchinesebbq.com/Menu.asp#softnoodle) which comes out as a big plate of noodles that are really tender but have a good deal of flavor that I can only assume is wok hei. They don't have a whole lot of meat in them and it's mostly just delicious noodles. I only just now realized that these might be lo-mein as their menu on the website is different than in the restaurant.

I read the lo-mein chat several pages back and saw a bunch of words but no recipes. Probably because it's too obvious or something. I'm actually not totally clueless in the kitchen so if I could get some insight on how to make these noodles that would be awesome, sort of a "master" recipe that I could just throw whatever vegetables/protein/sauce I felt like in. I imagine it goes something like this:

1.) cook and drain noodles (what kind!?)
2.) prep other things
3.) heat wok
4.) add oil
5.) aromatics
6.) vegetables
7.) sauce (suggestions for this would be great too)
8.) add noodles and wok hei
9.) victory!

But if you guys have some more insight on this that would be awesome. I have a carbon steel wok and a gas range, but I'm probably going to try it over my chimney starter first because that seems more likely to get the heat I need as well as keeping the oil vapors out of the house. Any more information about how to go about this would be awesome!

Edit: I can copy/paste Chinese writing too! vvvv

TehSaurus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 21, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking to make gan bian si jie dou (干煸四季豆 if it's easier, you freaky Chinese speakers) and have googled recipes. But I am always mistrustful. Anyone have a good one you know is un-hosed with?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

TehSaurus posted:

Help me, goons! There's what I believe to be a quite authentic Chinese restaurant in my neighborhood, and I need to figure out how to make their noodles! Typically we get the "BBQ Pork Soft Noodle," or "叉燒撈麵"? (http://www.firstchinesebbq.com/Menu.asp#softnoodle) which comes out as a big plate of noodles that are really tender but have a good deal of flavor that I can only assume is wok hei. They don't have a whole lot of meat in them and it's mostly just delicious noodles. I only just now realized that these might be lo-mein as their menu on the website is different than in the restaurant.

I read the lo-mein chat several pages back and saw a bunch of words but no recipes. Probably because it's too obvious or something. I'm actually not totally clueless in the kitchen so if I could get some insight on how to make these noodles that would be awesome, sort of a "master" recipe that I could just throw whatever vegetables/protein/sauce I felt like in. I imagine it goes something like this:

1.) cook and drain noodles (what kind!?)
2.) prep other things
3.) heat wok
4.) add oil
5.) aromatics
6.) vegetables
7.) sauce (suggestions for this would be great too)
8.) add noodles and wok hei
9.) victory!

But if you guys have some more insight on this that would be awesome. I have a carbon steel wok and a gas range, but I'm probably going to try it over my chimney starter first because that seems more likely to get the heat I need as well as keeping the oil vapors out of the house. Any more information about how to go about this would be awesome!

Edit: I can copy/paste Chinese writing too! vvvv

I, too, was looking for a good recipe for some Lo Mein. What I ended up doing was getting some good pad thai paste from a grocery store and mixing it with about 3 tbsp superior light soy, 3 tbsp shaoxing, maybe a couple tbsp of black vinegar (I've tried it without vinegar and it tasted fine, so I guess it's preference), and a tbsp of sesame oil. Then I add a bunch of chili oil and pickled chilis. I fry the vegetables and meat first and reserve them, then fry the noodles in the aromatics (used garlic, ginger, and chili peppers). After frying them a little directly in the oil I then add the sauce, then the vegetables and meat. For vegetables I tend to go with onions and maybe maitake mushrooms.

Near the end I add a bunch of bean sprouts and sometimes a little artifical crab meat. I dunno, I just like the color I guess. This will make some VERY saucy lo mein, just so you know, so you might want to cut down on the sauce a bit if you don't like it really wet like I do. I definitely wouldn't call this lo mein, it's just some meat and noodles that I like eating.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Best poo poo in the world is to add a good ladle of braising liquid from red-cooked pork when you're frying noodles :pervert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Has anyone ever made the lamb version of this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rou_jia_mo

It's one of my favorites but I've never known the name until now. I've never seen it in Korea so I need to make some, but I have no idea where to start.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hmmm I have to go around looking for a realtor anyway, and I have seen those on the menu at a pulled noodle place I go to sometimes, perhaps I will go on an investigative reporting mission for you!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you can bring me the Ancient Chinese Secret I will be in your debt. The place I went to was Hui so I've only had the lamb, but I'd try the pork too.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

http://www.meishichina.com/Eat/Nosh/201006/82846.html Here's this. If you don't read Chinese the pictures are actually pretty easy to follow on page 2 for the lamb part, making the 馍 (Mo, the bread thing) is a little more involved. It's basically just lamb and lettuce stir fried with sichuan peppercorn, garlic, green onions and chilies. They also say they added some shaoxing wine in the frying phase. I've usually had it with green peppers too so adding those wouldn't hurt.

The "classic" Rou jia mo I don't really like much. It's super fatty pieces of pork that have been stewing for ??? days. The meat you get is actually super good, but it's always 90% fat :smith: It's really similar to Lu Rou, but has a bunch more stuff going on in the pot.

In Xi'an I had some really good beef rou jia mo which was basically kebab-y kind of stuff with a lot of cumin.

When I was in Qingdao, I'd eat a pork-loin rou jia mo with a fried egg in it every morning for breakfast. I miss it...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The kind I've had was definitely kebab-y. I can get help with reading, so recipes in Chinese are okay. I'll post a translation once I've tried it.

E: Also looking for a 青椒炒牛肉 recipe. I have no idea what the English name is but it's beef stir fried with lots of peppers and I'm 99% sure it's a Hubei thing.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 29, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've been loving this thread, thanks for all the great ideas! I already had a nonstick wok, but was inspired to order http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-21-9972-Classic-Carbon-Steel/dp/B002AQSWNE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top to try for some better results. It got here today and I've been working on seasoning it.

I hit up the 99 Ranch the other day and, along with a bunch of stuff like shaoxing, light soy sauce, and sichuan peppercorns, I picked up a pack of these:

I'll probably try the shumai linked in the OP, but I'm wondering if there are any other interesting dumplings I can make with those wrappers?

Also, back at school, we'd often order delivery Chinese from this little restaurant:

They had something they called "Boneless Spare Ribs", which were super tasty in a "who cares if it's authentic or healthy" kind of way. Covered in a really sticky tangy sweet sauce that was sort of like sweet-and-sour but better; the meat was tender with just a little bit of crisp on the outside, no breading. Looked a little like this, except stickier:

Any recommendations on how I might try re-creating that sort of thing? The sauce especially is

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Sounds like Peking spareribs, which could be either breaded or dry-fried without breading.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cross-posting this pic from the "what you cooked today" thread because I was inspired by this thread to make tonight's dinner.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I bought a real wok and a shitload of sauces/spices. Today I fired up the wok to make some veggies to go along with the pork chops I was cooking. The vegetables turned out to be the best part.

The pork chops are unimportant. I enjoyed the vegetables, simple though they were, so I'll share the process here.

The veggies were for one person, so they consisted of a single large-ish baby bok choy, a generous handful of plain white mushrooms, and 4 green onions.

Tossed the onions in the wok and cooked until they were aromatic. Added the mushrooms and fried until they got that smooth/juicy look to them. Then added the boy choy and turned down the heat a little bit, stirred until the leaves started to wilt. Added the sauce and basically just stirred until everything was coated and the sauce was bubbling a little bit.

The sauce was eyeballed and improvised, but this is about what I put in:

- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- A bit of cornstarch to thicken slightly
- 5 spice powder... "some". 1/2 tsp? I just kind of shook a little in.

It's nothing fancy, but it's definitely tasty and I'll be cooking it again, probably to accompany some chicken. The sauce was very good with the pork.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

After finding a decent local Asian supermarket (Tri's Market Place in Amarillo, TX) and coming home with a wok and a dozen little bottles of stuff, I tried the beef broccoli in oyster sauce recipe.

Three of us ate ourselves sick on it. A++ would gorge again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beef in oyster sauce is the easiest thing in the world and it's soooo good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I mix up a basic sauce for stir frying vegetables and was thinking about just making a bottle of it to keep in the fridge, since none of the components would go off. However, there's the corn starch. Could I put corn starch in the bottle and keep it, or would it lose its thickening power? I'm thinking a bottle would last me a month or two.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adding corn starch at the beginning of cooking is a recipe for disaster in my experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Well yeah, you'd have to mix it into the sauce before adding it to heat (or do a slurry). But that dirties up another thing, so if I can just put it in the sauce bottle to begin with that'd be rad.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Grand Fromage posted:

Well yeah, you'd have to mix it into the sauce before adding it to heat (or do a slurry). But that dirties up another thing, so if I can just put it in the sauce bottle to begin with that'd be rad.
I'd try it with a sample. One problem with putting it in the sauce is that you'll need to mix it prior to pouring the sauce into whatever it's going into, since corn starch settles. I've had trouble with sauces that I've added the cornstarch to then forgot to mix it, then I had trouble mixing it completely, so keep that at mind.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Be careful with too much cornstarch, don't treat it like gravy. Glass sauce (aka too much starchy sauce) is cheating and all you taste is some powdery savory gruel which makes you thirsty in no time.

Are European Chinese Restaurant pictures okay? I just ate 6 nights at the same restaurant. The owner was boasting how the chef is from Hong Kong so I just shut the menu and did custom requests.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm still working on getting the balance just right so it's thick enough to cling but not too thick.

Are there any special/unusual spices used in Hui or Hubei cuisine? It's surprisingly hard to research this.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Could someone please break down how to handle fresh rice noodles for soup and for frying? My family tells me conflicting information on how to separate the noodles and not make them stick. I also remember that none of them are capable of making chow fun without breaking the noodles.

I'd like to make chow fun, sup chow style specifically. What I tried before was separating the noodles in warm water and then frying them with oil in the pan. They stuck terribly to everything and adding more oil made them stop sticking, but rendered it disgusting.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

squigadoo posted:

Could someone please break down how to handle fresh rice noodles for soup and for frying? My family tells me conflicting information on how to separate the noodles and not make them stick. I also remember that none of them are capable of making chow fun without breaking the noodles.

I'd like to make chow fun, sup chow style specifically. What I tried before was separating the noodles in warm water and then frying them with oil in the pan. They stuck terribly to everything and adding more oil made them stop sticking, but rendered it disgusting.

Don't have much experience with rice noodles, but but I've cooked soumen a couple times which is pretty thin and sticky; running it under ice cold water immediately after taking it out from boiling seems to keep the sticking to a minimum. I then transfer them to a bowl of water with ice cubes in it and usually have no problems. never tried frying them though. Maybe try draining them after a short soak in cold water and see if that helps.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

squigadoo posted:

Frying rice noodles is a way Chinese cooks measure each others mettle - it's difficult enough even with a well-seasoned wok, pro level skills and industrial-grade gas burners. Don't hold it against yourself if you find it difficult to do at home. The water is only doing it worse, I think, since it renders some of the starch of the noodles making them stick even worse. See if you can separate them with your fingers somewhat before tossing them into scorching heat and keep it all moving like the Devil is whipping you on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pre oiling noodles helps a ton. also you really really have to keep them moving in a well oiled wok otherwise they will stick at any given moment.