Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Not to double-post or steal away from discussion MY PROBLEMS but price and release date for the Vespa 946 have been released

And it's a whopping $9,946, which is in-line with the (I thought) pessimistic speculation. It will be available in the US in November, though Vespa Seattle is saying you only have until April 30th to get your order in - I guess it's only going to be here in limited numbers.

It does have aluminum panels on a steel frame, which was true for the concept but uncertain for the production model, which saves weight and probably adds cost. It'll have Piaggio's new 3v motor which is more efficient and more powerful than the 4v, and is currently in non-US-market LX and S bikes, and it'll have ABS and traction control, which will be Vespa firsts.

I wonder how many will be trailered straight from dealer loading docks to new owner garages when they get here in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Everything about that is sexy except the price.

I wonder how it handles. Those wheels look tiny.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

cheese eats mouse posted:

Everything about that is sexy except the price.

I wonder how it handles. Those wheels look tiny.

I think they're 12s.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Looks pretty good, maybe there's some demand for italian imports, will check the price next time I'm there

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
ABS and traction control, rad.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I understand ABS, but is traction control really necessary?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I feel kind of dumb for asking this. How do I tell if my GF's scooter is two or four stroke? I can't find the manual anywhere.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

I feel kind of dumb for asking this. How do I tell if my GF's scooter is two or four stroke? I can't find the manual anywhere.
Sound, smell, Googling the model? Is it a generic Chinese scooter?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do you refuel? Does it need oil? Does it ever get oil changes?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

Are there oil drain and fill holes on the engine casing, or is there an oil tank? Modern or vintage?

But sound, smell, and Googling the model would be where I would start.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's an 07 Vespa LX 50. I want to say it's four stroke because it doesn't have that oil smell or really sound like a twofer.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 19, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

It's an 07 Vespa LX 50. I want to say it's four stroke because it doesn't have that oil smell or really sound like a twofer.

Yeah, that'll be a four-stroke. I don't think we got a 2-stroke version of the LX50 in the US.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 19, 2013

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Hey guys, hoping you can help me find an appropriate new ride. My girlfriend lost her drivers license, so looking for something that's powered that she can ride legally. In California, this is now restricted down to electric mopeds under 1,000 watts, and must have pedals.

I know nothing about mopeds, what brands to look for, or where to get them. Her work is about 2 - 3 miles away, though is fairly hilly the entire way, and her school is about 5 miles away. Looking for something that can handle those.

In the past we could have gotten away with a scooter under 50cc, but they've changed the laws since I've last looked.

Edit: It looks like it might not have to have the pedals. We are looking at the 2nd type of moped described as it doesn't require a license.

Here is from the California DMV:

quote:

The California Motorcycle Driver Handbook describes two different types of motorized bicycles, or mopeds.

The first type is a two- or three-wheeled vehicle, not capable of more than 30 mph on level ground with:

Fully functional pedals for human propulsion.

An internal combustion engine producing less than two gross brake horsepower with automatic transmission.

An electric motor with or without pedals.

This quicker kind of moped requires a Class M2 driver license and registration with the CA DMV. Furthermore, you will want to check with your insurance carrier on possible coverage for your moped. To register your moped simply submit a Motorized Bicycle Instruction/Application form (REG 230) by mail or at you local DMV.

The second type of moped has an electric motor of less than 1,000 watts and cannot go above 20 mph on level ground (even if assisted by human power). The motor must also stop when the brakes are applied or starter switch released.

This "20 mph" classification of a moped may be driven without a license, proof of financial responsibility, or a moped license plate. The driver need only be 16 years old and wearing a properly fitting bicycle helmet.

You can't ride your moped on freeways or any type of bike path or trail, unless local law has given permission. You can drive your moped in lanes designated for bicycles, but be considerate of other bikers.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 22, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
What you're looking for will almost definitely be one of those electric-assisted bicycles - I think most of the electric scooters I've seen have been 30mph and probably more than 1000w - which I know gently caress all about (and would be outside the scope of this thread).

Though it sounds like she could probably get around fine with a bicycle and a bus pass!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Edit: Just noticed the Electric Motorcycle thread - I'll try there, sorry.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 22, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I am in the process of replacing my gauges and rat's nest of wires with a Koso digital speedometer/fuel gauge combo. So far I've rigged up the fuel sending unit. I had to stop for the night, as the hardware store closed before I realized I needed to replace one of the brake bracket bolts with a longer one in order to mount the speed sensor. The stator is weak and I'm running on a capacitor instead of a battery, so it's hard to read until the revs get high enough to engage the clutch. Then again, who needs a speedometer when you're standing still? The stock speedometer topped out at 50, so this should finally give me an accurate top speed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The beer bottle is the fuel sending unit for the rider.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It's amazing how fuel-inefficient I am.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

So I want to get a 49 cc scooter to just go around town, and I have a budget of around $1500.
Since I know nothing about machines, I figure that buying from a dealer would be a good bet for my first time. There are two dealers in the area - one that is slightly above my price range but offers free parts and labor for two years and the other is under $1000 but doesn't have a website. Their ads on Craigslist seem...less than professional, but all of the athletes who went to my school ride them (they say "VIP Future Champion" or something like that on the sides).

Typing that out, it seems kind of obvious to go with the first one...I'm looking at this used one on their site:
http://www.combustioncycles.com/people50.html
Does that seem okay used for the price and will they let me try it out? I'm planning on taking a safety course first, as per the recommendation of paranoid family members.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Koala Food posted:

So I want to get a 49 cc scooter to just go around town, and I have a budget of around $1500.
Since I know nothing about machines, I figure that buying from a dealer would be a good bet for my first time. There are two dealers in the area - one that is slightly above my price range but offers free parts and labor for two years and the other is under $1000 but doesn't have a website. Their ads on Craigslist seem...less than professional, but all of the athletes who went to my school ride them (they say "VIP Future Champion" or something like that on the sides).

Typing that out, it seems kind of obvious to go with the first one...I'm looking at this used one on their site:
http://www.combustioncycles.com/people50.html
Does that seem okay used for the price and will they let me try it out? I'm planning on taking a safety course first, as per the recommendation of paranoid family members.

$1700 seems expensive for a used People 50 - that's very nearly MSRP on a Kymco Agility 125 - but Kymcos tend to be solid scooters. I wouldn't expect them to let you test ride a used scooter, but that varies by dealer. I'd also bet that the linked dealers' 2 years parts/labor only applies to new scooters. And I'd be the other dealer is selling Chinese pieces of poo poo - no reputable manufacturer is selling new scooters for a grand.

If you're willing to go private party (Craigslist) you can definitely find better deals, and if you're not confident in your ability to buy a quality used vehicle you can try to arrange with the seller to take the bike to a mechanic for a look over.

Also definitely take a rider training course, they are super valuable. And depending on state law passing one might let you get your motorcycle endorsement.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Just checked craigslist in Koala Food's area and you can get a used Buddy 50 for $500 less than that Kymco.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Hey goons I'm in need of some help. I've posted on a SYM owners forum for some help, and they've been great, but I'm stuck right now.

I purchased a brand new 2009 SYM Fiddle II 125cc back in October of 2010. Since then, I've put less than 100 miles on it and it's mostly been sitting in my garage. I live in Oregon and I'm not brave enough to ride it in the rain, so for the most part it sits.

About a month ago, I decided to fire it up and get it ready for this Spring and Summer. I couldn't get it to start and after some advice on the SYM forums, I got a new battery. The battery got the bike starting, but after about a minute or two, it stalls. If I put gas to it, it stalls. I've opened up the carburetor and cleaned the pilot jet, and I've tried letting it idle with the gas cap off to let it vent with no success.

I'm really concerned at this point, because the bike is loving practically brand new. I'm no expert mechanic, but I really don't feel I need to be in order to get it running when it has 93 miles on it. At this point, I'm heavily considering selling it after I can get it running and I'm very hesitant to have it towed to a service center and don't feel like pouring hundreds of dollars into a brand new scooter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

E: I also siphoned out the old gas and filled it with some fresh stuff and added fuel system cleaner before refilling.

kstatix fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 26, 2013

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did you drain all the old gas? Maybe you need a new air filter. I have heard they can trap water and never let it go, even if you're not riding.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Welp the Zuma was stolen last night between 2 and 7 am. It was in my fenced in backyard.

Anyone know what to do? I've posted on our local Moto facebook and am calling repair shops to give them a red flag on someone calling to say they lost their key and need it replaced. I know any dumb dumb can figure that out how to change an ignition without help.

Most expensive lesson I guess.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Obvious, but you didn't list it: call the police and make a report?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Dalrain posted:

Obvious, but you didn't list it: call the police and make a report?

Yea done and I'm all over Facebook with it. Will be stalking craigslist listings within a 3-4 hour drive of where it was stolen plus eBay classifieds and Yahoo classifieds. I've got friends at one of the largest moto shops in town too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yea done and I'm all over Facebook with it. Will be stalking craigslist listings within a 3-4 hour drive of where it was stolen plus eBay classifieds and Yahoo classifieds. I've got friends at one of the largest moto shops in town too.

Comprehensive insurance I hope?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Hahah no. I thought about it this season too. I might have a lead via Facebook. Some guy saw a Zuma that was spray painted black (mine is a bright red you can't miss). If I do get it back it's getting insured ASAP.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Getting an '86 Honda Spree for free from a guy I work for. I've been fixing up his four (!) CT70s, and he's going to let me build a fifth out of spare parts and have it for free as well :iamafag:
No pictures because I am forgetful.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
drat cheese, that blows. Not to one up or talk in cliches, just remember it could always be worse. I bought a brand new Sym Fiddle II a few years ago and it was stolen the evening I bought it out from my girlfriend's apartment. Like cash out the window. I only put 54 miles on it. :(

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yea I'm always afraid of buying new just because of how high theft is around here. It spent the winter in the back yard so I thought it would be ok back there through the summer.

Enjoy the Spree. I need to get mine running. Apparently the last guy didn't have an air hose to the air filter so that would explain the gummy carb! I'm just super bummed because today was a perfect riding day.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yea I'm always afraid of buying new just because of how high theft is around here. It spent the winter in the back yard so I thought it would be ok back there through the summer.

Enjoy the Spree. I need to get mine running. Apparently the last guy didn't have an air hose to the air filter so that would explain the gummy carb! I'm just super bummed because today was a perfect riding day.

Wait, no insurance at all? Or no comprehensive..? Also, I hope you find it :ohdear:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
People keep seeing it around town. It's not in pieces or sold out of state so yay I guess. Also have a description of the guy.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Got my sym fiddle 2 running. I decided to randomly take apart the carburetor again and just drained the gas in it. Started it up and it held for a bit but died if I put gas to it. After a few minutes adjusting the idle timing, it was stable enough to ride and its been running fine. Put 50 miles on it since then. Thinking about selling and getting a ninja 250 though.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Just a random browse on CL and holy poo poo there is an Elite 250 for $950.

I think I'm going to buy that.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I want to see an Elite done up in MegaForce "camo" so much I can barely stand it. Denver seems to have no fewer than three Elites for sale at any given time, gently caress.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]

Boomerjinks posted:

I want to see an Elite done up in MegaForce "camo" so much I can barely stand it. Denver seems to have no fewer than three Elites for sale at any given time, gently caress.

Yeah, someone in Greeley listed one at 1200 that I'm having a hard time not wanting. My tax money needs to get here faster.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Got my little red spree to turn over and burn some old gas. I think the carb is gummed up from having a panty hose air filter with no air tube (replaced both tube and an actual OEM filter yesterday) I'm just going to pull it off this weekend and give it a good cleaning and new spark plug.

Also tortured myself looking at the new Vespas. Still can't justify that price tag.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 2, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Still having electrical issues on my Vento. My stator's putting out a healthy 25-30 volts AC at idle, but I'm only getting ~8 volts DC to the battery. I've been running a capacitor instead of a battery ever since I removed the electric start and alarm (and had two batteries die almost immediately after installation). The wires leading to the rectifier/regulator show a similar amount of voltage. The original unit only registered on the multimeter in diode mode when the probes were in one particular position. It's supposed to be registering in two positions. I just received a replacement unit from another 2-stroke Vento. No register in diode mode in any position and I'm still getting 8 volts DC at the battery. And the weather turned awful so it's hard to test outside at the moment.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Just checked craigslist in Koala Food's area and you can get a used Buddy 50 for $500 less than that Kymco.

Thanks for directing me towards the link. I talked to the guy today and am going to see it tomorrow. Is $1100 a good price or should I try to haggle any? According to Kelly Blue book it's $1500, so I'm kind of okay with the price.
Any tips for what I should look for before I buy it? He said that he hasn't brought it to a mechanic because he does his own upkeep, which would normally set off an alarm. However, he doesn't sound like a crazy person on Craigslist so I'm more inclined to trust him.
As an aside, is riding it back on side roads for an hour for my first time riding a scooter myself asking for me to die? I don't think so, but nobody else has confidence in me. I'll have a helmet, of course.
Hopefully, I will have a good trip report tomorrow!