Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Quick 999 question, since the actual 999 thread I just checked for is closed. I've just really started it and gotten to what I believe is the first choice to determine an ending (to go into door 5 or door 4), and I'd like to know which one I should choose first to avoid repetition. Usually I'd figure this out for myself, but I'm actually just borrowing the game and want to get all the endings with minimal fuss. Anyone feel like giving some advice on which routes to go/how to get them in order to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Shoopuf posted:

Quick 999 question, since the actual 999 thread I just checked for is closed. I've just really started it and gotten to what I believe is the first choice to determine an ending (to go into door 5 or door 4), and I'd like to know which one I should choose first to avoid repetition. Usually I'd figure this out for myself, but I'm actually just borrowing the game and want to get all the endings with minimal fuss. Anyone feel like giving some advice on which routes to go/how to get them in order to do this?

Advice: Door 5.

Explanation: if you haven't done a certain ending on the door 5 path, you can't access the true ending on the door 4 path.

Full route flowchart (minimal story spoilers, but shows exactly what choices lead to what endings): http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/62430

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Advice: Door 5.

Explanation: if you haven't done a certain ending on the door 5 path, you can't access the true ending on the door 4 path.

Full route flowchart (minimal story spoilers, but shows exactly what choices lead to what endings): http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/961351-nine-hours-nine-persons-nine-doors/faqs/62430

That's exactly what I needed! Thank you.

On a related note, does the 3DS!VLR still have the glitch about saving in puzzle rooms?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Shoopuf posted:

That's exactly what I needed! Thank you.

On a related note, does the 3DS!VLR still have the glitch about saving in puzzle rooms?

Yeah, as far as I know that hasn't been fixed. Aksys has apparently been in active contact with the dev studio and made efforts to track down the cause of the bug, but with no success so far.

While I'm here, if you want some advice on what order to see 999's endings in: IMO the best dramatic progression comes from Sub, then Axe, then Safe, then True. Knife is pretty forgettable, but you might as well do it before Safe if you intend on seeing it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah (999) I would not recommend going straight to Safe even if you can, it kinda ruins the dramatic tension. 4-3-2 is good as a first run.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah (999) I would not recommend going straight to Safe even if you can, it kinda ruins the dramatic tension. 4-3-2 is good as a first run.

Well, (999) I've already gone through 5, but the chart seems to indicate I can still do 5-3-2 from here. Sounds like I'll be doing 5-7-1, 4-7-6, 5-8-6, then True. Am I going to be missing anything that way?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, let's do the Top 10 in a completely partial manner! :haw:

My Top 10:
  1. SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked (146:04) Only three endings so far. No epilogues. :saddowns:
  2. Super Street Fighter IV (62:15)
  3. Etrian Odyssey IV (20:06)
  4. Devil Survivor 2 (19:57) One ending. Completely under-leveled. Still smoked the final boss' rear end with the right demons. :black101:
  5. Nintendo 3DS Sound (19:21) iPhone broke and then I realized my Sennheiser headphones fit this thing like a velvet glove.
  6. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (17:36) Best ending.
  7. Nintendo eShop (12:28) All those Nintendo Direct videos. :xd:
  8. Link's Awakening DX (12:01)
  9. Street Pass Mii Plaza (10:16) gently caress this thing and it's addictive puzzles so much.
  10. Tie between Super Mario 3D Land and Pushmo (09:56)

As a note on that tie: I bought Pushmo on Xmas day 2012 while I was stuck on an airport. I bought Mario last Friday. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Shoopuf posted:

Well, (999) I've already gone through 5, but the chart seems to indicate I can still do 5-3-2 from here. Sounds like I'll be doing 5-7-1, 4-7-6, 5-8-6, then True. Am I going to be missing anything that way?

...You're never going through 2 and 3 on your list here, so yes, you will. Unless you mean you're doing 5-3-2 as your first? Yeah that works, sure.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Really, you shouldn't worry about it your first time through, you aren't going to ruin the game for yourself unless you have amazingly bad luck.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

...You're never going through 2 and 3 on your list here, so yes, you will. Unless you mean you're doing 5-3-2 as your first? Yeah that works, sure.

Yes, that's what I meant. Awesome.

Hace posted:

Really, you shouldn't worry about it your first time through, you aren't going to ruin the game for yourself unless you have amazingly bad luck.

Nah, it's not ruining the game that I'm worried about. As I said, I'm borrowing the game and would rather not take forever getting through it so I can return it when I'm done.

Bichu
Mar 21, 2013
My top ten would be...

1.) Fire Emblem Awakening (290:10) I'm working real hard to complete the support log and also fetching skills for... basically everyone. Most importantly the children though.
2.) Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (253:11) I don't know what happened here. Then against, Harvest Moon games do take a pretty long time to finish, and I'm still not done!
3.) Samurai Warriors Chronicles (215:09) I'm a pretty big fan of the Samurai Warriors franchise!!!
4.) Nintendo 3DS Sound (62:16) My lack of an MP3 player. I'll invest in one sometime...
5.) Ocarina of Time 3D (27:29)
6.) Mario Kart 7 (18:03)
7.) Internet Browser (17:10)
8.) Mii Maker (5:56)
9.) Nintendo eShop (5:17)
10.) Fire Emblem Awakening Demo (5:07)

Huh... I spend a lot of time on the 3DS.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

You have played more than three hours of Fire Emblem every day since it came out. :stare:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm sure it's been said before, but hoo boy, Kid Icarus' controls are rear end. I'm a lefty, so I got hit with it harder than most, but even with the CPP I honestly cannot think of a game I've played in the last decade that controls worse.

So far the rest of the game's solid enough so that I'm sticking with it, but it annoys the hell out of me to just know that I could break every challenge over my knee if not for these gimped controls.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Katana Gomai posted:

You have played more than three hours of Fire Emblem every day since it came out. :stare:

...Mine's higher, sadly. Though I do idle a lot and leave the 3DS on while doing other stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Did you skip all the side battles and Paralogues? I'm playing almost every one between missions. My current playthrough is at 11.5 hours (I restarted the first two after about a half an hour because I didn't like my Avatar), and I've only just beaten Chapter 12. Hell, I've only seen FOUR Paralogues so far.

Did all the missions and paralogues but didn't grind support dialog. I probably could have given that 50% of the people I dragged onto missions only existed to stop enemy spawners. By end game I either one shot the final boss or killed the dragon on its turn with my all but literally unharmable Chrom + Female PC combo. To be fair though I turned off combat animations instantly and used the skip enemy turn feature so each battle took me very, very little time.

It got ridiculous around half-way through the game as I would purposefully send my Chrombo out into the middle of the enemy forces and leave everyone else back and then just end my turn because it was faster to have the enemies fling themselves to death on them for no damage then actually use my heros turns.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 3, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Looks like I'm at 175 hours on Fire Emblem, on top of the 250 I put into the Japanese version on my Japanese 3DS. Sort of curious to see if anybody can beat 425 hours on any 3DS game.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

1. Animal Crossing: Wild World - 123:17
2. Swapnote - 65:53 (Most of that was recently - drat YOU GOONS AND YOUR 3D DICKS)
3. Mario Kart 7 - 31:13
4. eShop - 25:33 (:psyduck:)
5. Internet Browser - 24:46
6. Netflix - 24:37
7. Super Mario 3D Land - 23:08
8. Theatrhythm - 22:02
9. Mii Plaza - 22:01
10. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 20:38

I have 307:23 total play time on my system, with 177 titles played. Most of my numbers are between 15:00 and 20:00 because I have too many drat games, but if these numbers are anything to go by, I am going to be in a hell of a lot of trouble when Animal Crossing New Leaf comes out in a month.

As for steps taken:

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 3, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

1) Harvest Moon: A New Beginning - 70:03
2) Fire Emblem Awakening - 54:54
3) Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 33:45
4) Crimson Shroud - 19:47
5) Swapnote - 16:35
6) The "Denpa" Men - 12:31
7) Pushmo - 6:25
8) (Demo) Fire Emblem Awakening - 3:41
9) Nintendo eShop - 2:13
10) Mario Kart 7 - 1:42

I should probably buy more games.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

cheetah7071 posted:

Looks like I'm at 175 hours on Fire Emblem, on top of the 250 I put into the Japanese version on my Japanese 3DS. Sort of curious to see if anybody can beat 425 hours on any 3DS game.

I'm almost there. :v: 415 hours on Fire Emblem. Got it midnight when it was released.

Somewhat in my defense, I've been unemployed the last month!

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - 76:26
2. Kid Icarus: Uprising - 71:03 (massive drop-off after this)
3. Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 21:04
4. Swapnote - 18:31
5. Nintendo eShop - 16:17
6. Internet Browser - 14:53
7. Mutant Mudds - 11:53
8. Dillon's Rolling Western - 10:40
9. Donkey Kong - 8:33 (this is the 1994 Game Boy version)
10. Nintendo 3DS Sound - 7:58

Most of my time is split amongst various smaller eShop and VC games. Those three at the top are the only big retail games I've gotten so far, and probably will be until Animal Crossing comes out. The eShop really does have a lot of great games!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

400 hours in three months is just insane. That's how much I clocked in tf2 after eight years.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, as far as I know that hasn't been fixed. Aksys has apparently been in active contact with the dev studio and made efforts to track down the cause of the bug, but with no success so far.

What's this bug? I'm probably picking up vlr someday after i get all the 999 endings. Can I ruin my savefile in vlr by saving in a puzzle room or something like that?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is it okay to wipe a naked XL screen with the sleeve of a cotton shirt, or like any old piece of cloth? Or is some type of microfiber fancy thing recommended for safety?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

LibbyM posted:

Can I ruin my savefile in vlr by saving in a puzzle room or something like that?

That's exactly it. Rule of thumb, never save in puzzle rooms. Also yeah, use that flow chart. I played through it twice before looking up stuff online andgot the coffin ending first then the knife, which you can totally skip. I also totally agree with whoever previously said to totally dodge the safe ending till after you do just about every other one.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.

Minidust posted:

Is it okay to wipe a naked XL screen with the sleeve of a cotton shirt, or like any old piece of cloth? Or is some type of microfiber fancy thing recommended for safety?

If you're riding bareback I'd say you should go with the special cloth. Honestly though, I'd get a screen protector if you're at all worried about that sort of thing.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I've wiped my screen with anything from my t-shirt, my hoodie, a kleenex to a microfiber cloth. I agree with monkeyboydc though, if you worry about ruining your screen by using something other than a microfiber, buy a screen protector for peace of mind.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
I'd post my top 10, but I ended up setting my 3DS to the wrong year when I got it. :doh: I only ended up noticing when I was writing a swapnote and the days didn't match up. I'm guessing there's no way short of a complete system wipe that I can get the log to start over? I wouldn't mind parting with my small pile of coins and the plaza progress I have if that's what is needed, but I'd like to know if I'd lose any downloadable game saves in the process. (I picked Mario 3D Land as part of the XL promo. I completed the 8 main worlds and the 8 special worlds, but haven't yet unlocked the very last level.)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How do I know what ending to avoid in VLR if I don't know what the ending is or how you get there? I just started playing.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Why do you want to avoid an ending?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Are you guys aware of the VLR thread (which double serves as the 999 one, too)?

Also, Amazon UK slashed the price of New Art Academy by 50% off over night -- currently, £11.22. I have no idea if this is a permanent reduction, but if you were on the fence about it, here is your chance to get it cheap.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I don't want to quote them since I don't want to read the spoilers, but Commissar Ken said that a certain ending ought to be avoided until you've done most of the other endings on this page.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Why do you want to avoid an ending?

If you go down the true ending path before getting the other endings you get an incomplete ending and basically told to go back and do the others first.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Goddamn, this thread is making me feel better about hitting 140 hours in FE:A today. I'm only about 20 hours higher than that for total play time due to death resets, too.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Barudak posted:

If you go down the true ending path before getting the other endings you get an incomplete ending and basically told to go back and do the others first.

That doesn't make sense and I don't want to go to much into it here but don't worry dude just play the game as you see fit. There's no reason to avoid a path because the game is all about bumping your head into sharp corners in dark corridors until you find the light.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Sure, I'll bite.

1) Etrian Odyssey IV: 78:44 (I've yet to go through the post-game content, but I'm taking a break from it to catch up on all the other games I own and have yet to play)
2) Ocarina of Time 3D: 31:57 (Never played it on the N64 and kind of motored through it; traded it in since I don't think I'd ever play it again)
3) SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked: 30:32 (Just started Day 4 I believe, kind of got bored of it)
4) FE: A: 23:34 Only started playing it a couple of weeks ago after beating EOIV)
5) Mutant Mudds, Tetris (GB), eShop, Crashmo, Cave Story, Luigi's Mansion. All around the five and a half hour mark.

I still have a pile of games at the "unlocked Streetpass" mark lower on the list that I haven't gotten around to playing, and it'll only get worse by the time Animal Crossing rolls around. I like these games, I just never have time to play them. Literally all my time on it is binging on weekends - usually six to eight hours each Saturday and Sunday. I'm playing FE on casual mode just to clear the story and get a feel for whatever changes there are, and I'll revisit it in the new year most likely in classic mode.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

gameface posted:

I'd post my top 10, but I ended up setting my 3DS to the wrong year when I got it. :doh: I only ended up noticing when I was writing a swapnote and the days didn't match up. I'm guessing there's no way short of a complete system wipe that I can get the log to start over? I wouldn't mind parting with my small pile of coins and the plaza progress I have if that's what is needed, but I'd like to know if I'd lose any downloadable game saves in the process. (I picked Mario 3D Land as part of the XL promo. I completed the 8 main worlds and the 8 special worlds, but haven't yet unlocked the very last level.)

It'd be nice if there was. One time I took out and replaced the battery in my 3DS, resetting the clock as would be expected. Of course, for the brief moment I had System Settings open to set the clock back, Activity Log recorded the time I supposedly played it back in January 2011. :downs:

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Can I just say.....

The leather pouch and the screen protectors recommended in the OP are loving GREAT. Man these things are awesome, especially the leather case. The screen protector also gives me peace of mind of not being able to mess up the screen in any way, and being a quality product.

If any of you guys are looking for cases/screen protectors, I HIGHLY recommend the ones in the OP.

(Also,FireEmblemIsAGreatGameAndEveryoneWhoOwnsA3DSShouldGetIt.OkayBye.)

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah sure I'll jump on the bandwagon.

1. Etrian Odyssey IV - 69:01
2. Harvest Moon: A New Beginning - 37:08
3. Etrian Odyssey IV Demo - 16:12 (I laughed a bit when I saw this)
4. Fire Emblem Awakening - 14:03
5. Pokemon Platinum - 13:14
6. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 5:49
7. Umihara Kawase Kanzenban - 5:42
8. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 2:35
9. Brain Age: Concentration Training - 2:20
10. Pokemon White Version 2 - 2:08

33,335 steps taken.

I've mostly been playing HM recently and putting time into Umihara Kawase since I just imported that a couple weeks ago. I'd be surprised at how little time I put into FE:A except I set it aside when EO4 came out and haven't gone back to it quite yet.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Eruonen posted:

I don't want to quote them since I don't want to read the spoilers, but Commissar Ken said that a certain ending ought to be avoided until you've done most of the other endings on this page.

I played and finished VLR last week and the first path I went down turned out to be the true ending one, so I know it doesn't matter. Go down whatever path you feel like.

Since the save bug has been mentioned, I'll add that the game can also crash. Don't think you're safe if you don't save and keep it on standby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Guys, guys, you're talking about two different games. In VLR you can just do whatever in terms of endings due to how the flowchart works. In 999 you should avoid getting Safe until you have at least, say, two other endings because it'll ruin a lot of the dramatic tension in the rest of the endings.

• Locked thread