Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gwrtheyrn posted:

I highly recommend making the loc lac pieces if you do it, since the transporter skill makes that quest a whole lot more tolerable

Failing that get the biggest food HP buff you can. If your health bar is maxed out you have plenty of time to carry the things (they burn you as you hold them).

Also the worst part about the capture laggy quest is it being in flooded forest. Fighting in that water is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Awesome! posted:

Also the worst part about the capture laggy quest is it being in flooded forest. Fighting in that water is terrible.

Quick tip about this fight. If Lagi enters Area 4 do not chase after him right away. If you do then there is a much higher chance that he will spend most or all of his time there under water. If you give him a little time and then enter the zone there is a much higher chance that he will go on land for bit.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
So I'm incredibly slow and have only just found out how to do Event Missions. I got to run around in my underwear killing wild boars; what a thrill!

It's also a lot less stressful than trying to cap the Flooded Forest Lagi. I still haven't attempted the Powderstone misson yet; maybe it works out to be stupid easy with the Loc Lac gear and food upgrades.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Is sharqskin like a rare drop from these sharks or something (in island 11)? I'm not getting any. I am hitting them a couple times and then stabbing them with a harpoon and then carving.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's got a 22% chance to get you some sharqskin. Not the most rare drop from it (Immunizer is at 16%).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Sage Grimm posted:

It's got a 22% chance to get you some sharqskin. Not the most rare drop from it (Immunizer is at 16%).

Just my luck that I've pulled the actual rare drop from almost every shark so far and I don't even need it for anything right now.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Awesome! posted:

Is sharqskin like a rare drop from these sharks or something (in island 11)? I'm not getting any. I am hitting them a couple times and then stabbing them with a harpoon and then carving.

If you are not doing this already, farm them in the sunken treasures quest. You will get several more chances per run as opposed to free hunting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xavier434 posted:

Quick tip about this fight. If Lagi enters Area 4 do not chase after him right away. If you do then there is a much higher chance that he will spend most or all of his time there under water. If you give him a little time and then enter the zone there is a much higher chance that he will go on land for bit.

I'm not sure this is entirely correct, I think it'd completely random how long they stay in a certain area for. I've had many a fight where we followed something that just zoned, had him do a single attack and then run again.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yes, I think you are correct about the amount of time they stay in an area. What I am talking about has more to do with whether Lagi spends more of that time on land or in water while in Area 4. At least, this has been my experience which is hardly scientific.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Cutting off monster tails is so satisfying :3: I cut off Barroth's tail when I first fought him and it felt so awesome.

gently caress Gobul though. That was the worst fight yet. That guy is just a plain old jerk.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
A couple dozen pages ago someone linked a new-ish database of all the carves and items and such in MH3U. It was made by one dude, and it was SO much better set out than the god-awful wiki. Does anyone remember what it was?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Konig posted:

A couple dozen pages ago someone linked a new-ish database of all the carves and items and such in MH3U. It was made by one dude, and it was SO much better set out than the god-awful wiki. Does anyone remember what it was?

Ping's MH3G Dex.

It's not quite complete and there's some translation hiccups (G. Wroggi Claws should be Braces, as mentioned before), but it's extremely helpful otherwise.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Is solo G-Jhen even possible? I feel like I make no impact on him while he slowly tears the ship apart. I got to the final showdown in 16 minutes then he would just stomp all over the ship and I lost.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Ping's MH3G Dex.

It's not quite complete and there's some translation hiccups (G. Wroggi Claws should be Braces, as mentioned before), but it's extremely helpful otherwise.

That's not the one I was thinking of, but that's even better than what I was looking for, so thanks!

Is there any difference in harvest point yields between Day Moga Woods and Night Moga Woods once I've hit High Rank, like can I only get Hercudromes at night or what?

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Konig posted:

That's not the one I was thinking of, but that's even better than what I was looking for, so thanks!

Is there any difference in harvest point yields between Day Moga Woods and Night Moga Woods once I've hit High Rank, like can I only get Hercudromes at night or what?

Yes, Night Moga Woods is High Rank so you can get high rank resources.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Reginald Bathwater posted:

Is solo G-Jhen even possible? I feel like I make no impact on him while he slowly tears the ship apart. I got to the final showdown in 16 minutes then he would just stomp all over the ship and I lost.

It's definitely possible, but I think if you're soloing it you kinda have to design a build to maximize your ballista/cannon shots, having a ranged damage option, as well as just being on the ball about dragonating/gonging him back from the ship. Easier said than done, of course. Bastard hugged my ship for the latter half of my fight with him, and it wasn't even the G-Rank version.

Speaking of, though - where are Hallowed Jhen and Savagejho at? They Event-only or somethin'?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Hallowed Jhen has ridiculous requirements about capturing every monster, Angry Joe doesn't even have a quest and only turns up randomly I think.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Bought my Wii-U bundle with Monster Hunter yesterday. I got to say; after playing solo on my 3ds for a good few weeks, playing online is so much more fun! I've met some really friendly folks who helped me with a few things and am currently working on getting my HR up. Here's a question for you guys; I've dabbeled in Longsword for solo stuff. What would you recommend I use for Multi stuff other than using the Longsword. I want something fresh and exciting for online stuff and Longsword for solo stuff.

I'm thinking Dual swords. Is this a good idea?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Try hammers. Not the fastest things in the world, but you will be breaking parts left and right, and if you get the hang of them, you'll stun monsters pretty frequently, which will definitely help your team wreck some poo poo.

Dual swords can also be fun.

Why not try all sorts of stuff? You can be a good part of any team with just about any weapon. I've been meaning to try a Hunting Horn myself.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Never stick to a single sort of weapon.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Hallowed Jhen has ridiculous requirements about capturing every monster, Angry Joe doesn't even have a quest and only turns up randomly I think.

Really? Well, guess I got an extra task on the to-do list, then! Start low and go on up the list, I suppose. I need all sorts of crap from just about everything, may as well kill two birds with one stone!

Never stick to a single sort of weapon.

Speakin' the truth there. I was hammer-only for two games (MHFU/Tri) and only switched over to DBs in this one. Way more mobile, way more fun. Sadly lose the satisfaction of cracking the poo poo out of a monster's big, dopey head, though. I tried the Hunting Horn out and holy crap, did they redo it from Freedom U? Way easier to recite than I remember. Unfortunately, the weapon doesn't seem like it has any flow to its attacks. I'm not sure what I should combo from/into at any given moment.

And it's a shame, 'cause the Miralis Hunting Horn was the only weapon I had enough parts to craft after 1 go. It is the biggest thing ever and sounds pretty neat, too! I'd love using it more, I just need to figure out the weapon's ins and outs before I go on a serious hunt with it. And, y'know, memorizing its songs so I don't play the wrong dang thing all the time.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Trying to get a HR Wroggi set together, as far as Great Wroggi-related drops go, I need 2 more Toxin Sacs, 4 more G.Wroggi Braces+, aaaaaand... 1 Bird Wyvern Gem.

I'm never going to see that am I? I did the math, and even if I captured a Great Wroggi whose neck I had busted, while on the HR Great Wroggi hunt quest in the village, giving me the best possible chance of getting one, there's less than 30% chance of seeing one each run. Unless I've done the math wrong (which is highly likely).

On the bright side, I'm getting dodging his moves down to an art form.

EDIT: NO YOU GOITERED BASTARD YOU DON'T GET TO HIP-CHECK ME IN THE CORNER THREE TIMES IN A ROW

Konig fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 4, 2013

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Konig posted:

Trying to get a HR Wroggi set together, as far as Great Wroggi-related drops go, I need 2 more Toxin Sacs, 4 more G.Wroggi Braces+, aaaaaand... 1 Bird Wyvern Gem.

I'm never going to see that am I? I did the math, and even if I captured a Great Wroggi whose neck I had busted, while on the HR Great Wroggi hunt quest in the village, giving me the best possible chance of getting one, there's less than 30% chance of seeing one each run. Unless I've done the math wrong (which is highly likely).

On the bright side, I'm getting dodging his moves down to an art form.
Some of the stuff you go for later has a less than 5% chance of dropping on a single run, so 30% seems positively glorious to me in terms of odds.

You can also get the Bird Wyvern Gem from any of the Great wyverns, so if it's easier just do Great Jaggi for it, it looks like they have the same odds for drop. Great Baggi is slightly higher but his quest is HR4/Village 7 so you won't have that unlocked yet.

And make sure you always break the head and carve rather than capture.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Every now and then (three times over 100 hours to be precise) all the carves, shinies etc in a hunt turn into Mega Potions. Any idea what causes that?

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Boco_T posted:

Some of the stuff you go for later has a less than 5% chance of dropping on a single run, so 30% seems positively glorious to me in terms of odds.

You can also get the Bird Wyvern Gem from any of the Great wyverns, so if it's easier just do Great Jaggi for it, it looks like they have the same odds for drop. Great Baggi is slightly higher but his quest is HR4/Village 7 so you won't have that unlocked yet.

And make sure you always break the head and carve rather than capture.

Wow yeah? I'd always thought capture included the three carves you get otherwise, plus a bit more. And to arrive at 30%, I calculated the chances that none of the drops would occur (each at about 2-5%), which gave me a bit over 70% chance of none dropping, so that meant every other outcome had at least one drop, so a bit under 30%.

Got my first Rare 3 Charm too - Ice Resist +1, Flame Aura -9.

:smith:

EDIT: You are a gentleman and a scholar, I did the Great Jaggi quest, and got not one, but TWO Bird Wyvern Gems on my first go.

Konig fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 4, 2013

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Mecharasputin posted:

Every now and then (three times over 100 hours to be precise) all the carves, shinies etc in a hunt turn into Mega Potions. Any idea what causes that?

That's what happens in chain hunts. When you have to beat up a monster and then another (how ever many times) everything will be megapotions. If you have the Mock Melynx mask on one of the buddies then they'll only steal megapotions too.

Awesome! posted:

Just my luck that I've pulled the actual rare drop from almost every shark so far and I don't even need it for anything right now.

I had to kill 34 sharqs to get the sharqskin needed for the request, all I got was immunizers and 2 raw meat.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mecharasputin posted:

it happens in missions where you need to kill multiple monsters. I guess its the games way of helping you out.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Mecharasputin posted:

Just to elaborate on what everyone says, this happens when there are 3 different types of monsters in the quest. So 3x gigginox would carve gigginox parts, but G.Baggi-Barioth-Gigginox would carve pots. This also includes the "Danger" monster, so some 2 monster quests carve parts and others carve pots.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh thank god. Two G-Rank Black Diablos fights, 2 Blackcurl Horn+s. Bare minimum of farming! Second fight literally took half the time the first one did. She wouldn't stop digging. So I didn't stop hucking Sonic Bombs. Beat the mess outta her in that second match. Shoutouts to Deviljho for having a dance-off with her in area 8. Gave me time to heal up since he won that particular fight.

Got the Great Kelbi Deershot now. So... I need armor with Awaken on it for this broken train of nonsense to get going, right? What's the best set to farm up? Never done the Gunner thing before to any serious degree. Figured if I'm gonna farm monsters for weapon parts and whatnot, may as well switch it up a bit.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I took a week long break from monster hunter to play Luigi's Mansion. Usually when I do that, I don't ever go back to the game I 'took a break' from.

Nope! A nice warm up with Zinogre reminded me why I love this game. :black101: I think it might finally be time for me to make an effort to get G Rank.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Any hunting horn users got a favorite armor set they like using with it? I threw together the Dober set to make something with evade+1, KO king, maestro and dragon attack+2 but I was wondering if anybody else had any sets they like.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Metrohunter posted:

Any hunting horn users got a favorite armor set they like using with it? I threw together the Dober set to make something with evade+1, KO king, maestro and dragon attack+2 but I was wondering if anybody else had any sets they like.
Mine was kind of a pain to build, but I have the Narga Cap Z and the rest of it is the 4 Diablo Z pieces (Mail, Vambraces, Coil, Greaves). Charm is +6 Evade +4 KO and gems are 1 Evasion 2, 1 Drain 2, 1 Evasion 1, and 5 Sonorous.

Maestro, KO King, Stamina Drain, and Evade +2. Any set I make without Sharpness +1 feels kinda weird, but it's a solid support set that can still do pretty good damage.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Where can I get Warm Pelts at a decent rate? I got a couple from a few Kelbi, but I've killed ~20 since and haven't gotten any since.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

quaunaut posted:

Where can I get Warm Pelts at a decent rate? I got a couple from a few Kelbi, but I've killed ~20 since and haven't gotten any since.
It's in the rewards (36%) for the Prescription Pick-Up quest where you deliver 2 horns and get 2 horns in the rewards, so just grind that out a dozen times in 10 minutes and you should be set.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Boco_T posted:

It's in the rewards (36%) for the Prescription Pick-Up quest where you deliver 2 horns and get 2 horns in the rewards, so just grind that out a dozen times in 10 minutes and you should be set.

Thanks, I'll run that.

Just finished the Royal Ludroth kill quest. Feels good man. I feel like a proper hunter- maybe not a pro, but like someone climbing the ranks. Just wish I could get to capturing monsters- do I have to wait to find electrobugs or whatever they are, or can I find them pretty fast in Moga?

Also, Moga is getting so dangerous to walk around in. Always some rear end in a top hat comin' to ruin' my flower pickin'.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I thiiink you should have had a tutorial-ish quest to capture by now; either G. Jaggi or Arzuros, I forget which. That'll give you a trap and sort of tell you what to do.

If you mean getting parts, you have to buy trap tools; thunderbugs for shock traps and spiderwebs for nets for pitfall traps can all be gathered in moga woods by beelining toward the melynx cave.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

This is incorrect. You only have to hunt every monster (except for Lucent Nargacuga, Abyssal Lagiacrus, and Savage Jho). Capturing them doesn't matter.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Ciaphas posted:

I thiiink you should have had a tutorial-ish quest to capture by now; either G. Jaggi or Arzuros, I forget which. That'll give you a trap and sort of tell you what to do.

If you mean getting parts, you have to buy trap tools; thunderbugs for shock traps and spiderwebs for nets for pitfall traps can all be gathered in moga woods by beelining toward the melynx cave.

Right, I've already done several cap quests- but I was wanting to cap monsters on kill quests, for the extra rewards.

They're all found inside that cave? Huh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think most of my spider webs come from Area... 3? the south entrance to the cave where some melynxes are hanging out, there's an insect gathering point there. Thunderbugs there too, with more thunderbugs inside the cave.

Anyway in case you didn't know, you make traps by combining trap tools from the store with either nets for pitfall traps or thunderbugs for shock traps. Make your own, bring em, and you can capture just fine on Hunt quests, you don't have to kill them at all (and in fact capturing is usually better as you noted). I think the only Kill quests are ones where you can't capture anyway, like small monsters or... uh, really big monsters :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

quaunaut posted:

Right, I've already done several cap quests- but I was wanting to cap monsters on kill quests, for the extra rewards.

They're all found inside that cave? Huh.

You can also buy Thunderbugs (but not spiderwebs) from the old woman in Tanzia Port. She doesn't sell them often, so get some money together and buy as many as you can when they're up.

• Locked thread