Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Suqit posted:

I've been using remote on two iphones with my 3rd generation AppleTV for around a year now. Starting a few days ago neither phone will recognize the AppleTV. I've force quit the application, deleted and reinstalled, reset the AppleTV, setup the AppleTV as new, and reset the router, all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this take it back to the Apple Store?

Don't you have to do something in the settings menu on the atv under remote?

E: or home sharing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Don't you have to do something in the settings menu on the atv under remote?

E: or home sharing?

Yeah I had to reactivate the remote under settings. I wonder why it stopped to begin with.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
Anyone ever have a problem playing surround sound on their ATV? I bought the newest season of Doctor Who on iTunes, but when I play the newest episode the sound is mostly static. I have no idea what could be wrong. I have tried it with forced 16 bit audio, streamed from Apple over ethernet and wireless, streamed through home sharing, after restarts, and probably a few other things that aren't coming to mind. Nothing else I have played has ever had this problem. If I turn off Dolby Digital in settings the stereo track plays fine, but I would obviously prefer to use my surround sound.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I found that my surround sound got disabled with one of the recent updates and IPv6 turned on in Windows. All my home sharing played only in stereo.

Try not forcing IPv6 maybe? Not sure if that helps.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

Thwomp posted:

I found that my surround sound got disabled with one of the recent updates and IPv6 turned on in Windows. All my home sharing played only in stereo.

Try not forcing IPv6 maybe? Not sure if that helps.

Doesn't seem to help. It's really strange. The newest episode of Mad Men also works, so it also doesn't seem like a change in Apple's codecs is messing with my (6 month old) receiver. It's not like it doesn't see a DD track either. My receiver sees that as the input, 3/2/.1 mode with 48 kHz sampled audio as it does with other iTunes video and there is some sound, but it is buried in white noise that is like 3x-4x louder.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Is anyone else having a netflix connection problem? This is on an ATV2, jailbroken at firmware 4.3. For the last few days netflix won't start, it just gives a black screen with the "Netflix is unable to connect at this time" message.

I don't recall anything being changed settings-wise, and the internet is no help so I was wondering if anybody else has run into this.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Eunabomber posted:

Is anyone else having a netflix connection problem? This is on an ATV2, jailbroken at firmware 4.3. For the last few days netflix won't start, it just gives a black screen with the "Netflix is unable to connect at this time" message.

I don't recall anything being changed settings-wise, and the internet is no help so I was wondering if anybody else has run into this.
I was having the same problem, only thing that fixed it was removing the jailbreak and updating iOS to 6.1.3. That broke my ability to re-jailbreak, which I am now trying to fix, but at least the wife can watch Netflix.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Does anyone use a proxy to connect to MLB.tv with their Apple TV? My BR player isn't really getting the job done (it really doesn't like proxies) and I'm curious if an aTV is better at handling the sometimes variable bandwidth that comes from a public proxy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boxman posted:

Does anyone use a proxy to connect to MLB.tv with their Apple TV? My BR player isn't really getting the job done (it really doesn't like proxies) and I'm curious if an aTV is better at handling the sometimes variable bandwidth that comes from a public proxy.

I use unblock-us with my aTV3 and it works flawlessly for MLB.TV.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I haven't updated my ATV2 in ages, and my roommate's asking me to so that Hulu+ goes on it. Is there anything I need to worry about in re-jailbreaking it?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Shouldn't my entire iTunes library be visible through the music app on my Apple TV? The only thing that shows up is music I purchased directly through iTunes. I have Home Sharing turned on on both my Apple TV and my iMac, so I don't know what the deal is. I feel like it worked when I first set it up.

e: Ugh, I'm a dummy. You have to go through Computers, then Music.

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 3, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I don't like having to go through computers, then whatever for my iTunes share. It's not a huge deal, I just hate that extra menu to drill down into. Not sure how else to cleanly do it though.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm looking for a way to AirPlay music from my iphone and also have the lyrics scroll on the tv. Is this possible on an ATV3? Both the musiXmatch and TuneWiki iOS apps claim they support AirPlay but I can't actually find it in the app.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Inside Outside posted:

Shouldn't my entire iTunes library be visible through the music app on my Apple TV? The only thing that shows up is music I purchased directly through iTunes. I have Home Sharing turned on on both my Apple TV and my iMac, so I don't know what the deal is. I feel like it worked when I first set it up.

e: Ugh, I'm a dummy. You have to go through Computers, then Music.

If you pay for iTunes Match it all shows up under the music category.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kevyn posted:

I'm looking for a way to AirPlay music from my iphone and also have the lyrics scroll on the tv. Is this possible on an ATV3? Both the musiXmatch and TuneWiki iOS apps claim they support AirPlay but I can't actually find it in the app.
This is just a guess, but chances are those apps only support Airplay of audio and to get both audio and video you'd have to turn on Airplay Mirroring, which is done from the iOS device (double-click the Home button and swipe the recents list left to right twice).

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

turn on Airplay Mirroring, which is done from the iOS device (double-click the Home button and swipe the recents list left to right twice).

I had no idea you could do this, thanks! This is awesome.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
God drat it, I just spent an hour and a half re-jailbreaking my appletv2 so my roommate can have Hulu+ on the main menu, and now it isn't working at all. I'm sure if I unplug it it'll reboot fine, and render the last 1.5 hours useless since the jailbreak is tethered now. Ugh, I just want to sell this thing and my NAS and just get a Roku3+local hard drive and stop loving with all this work.

Edit: got it figured out but man alive, I wish this was simpler.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 13, 2013

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Anybody else using airparrot on a pc to share your screen with an atv2?

I'm using it to watch Twitch streams on my downstairs tv but I'm getting an annoying audio bug where I get split second skips in the audio feed every few seconds. Anyone else have this issue?

Alternatively, are there any other reliable ways to watch twitch streams on an atv2?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Anybody else using airparrot on a pc to share your screen with an atv2?

I'm using it to watch Twitch streams on my downstairs tv but I'm getting an annoying audio bug where I get split second skips in the audio feed every few seconds. Anyone else have this issue?

Alternatively, are there any other reliable ways to watch twitch streams on an atv2?

I believe the Twitch addon for XBMC works on the ATV2. I'm not 100% on that, but librtmp might have a build for that device.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

G-Prime posted:

I believe the Twitch addon for XBMC works on the ATV2. I'm not 100% on that, but librtmp might have a build for that device.

Cool, I went ahead and jail broke it and installed xbmc. However I don't see twitch in the add-ons list. Any ideas?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
It should be available in the official repo. Otherwise, you can grab it from here and use the Install Zip option in XBMC to install it. You may need to update librtmp to use it. Instructions for that are on XBMC's official wiki.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong add-on section.

I was able to install it but no streams would open. So I updated librmtp file but still can't get any streams to work.

Oh well, thanks for your help though!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So guys I've got a weird problem. I've got home sharing set up, and up until recently it worked perfectly until recently. Now I'll watch a single movie or episode of tv or music video, and then it will stop reading my home sharing, forcing me to have to come restart iTunes on my computer. I'm on a Apple TV 3, PC, and the latest firmware for both the device and latest software for iTunes. Anyone have any idea? I've tried forwarding the ports for both, putting both in the DMZ, and using wired and wireless connections. Nothing seems to fix it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Have you tried setting a static IP for the ATV and PC?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

TheJoker138 posted:

So guys I've got a weird problem. I've got home sharing set up, and up until recently it worked perfectly until recently. Now I'll watch a single movie or episode of tv or music video, and then it will stop reading my home sharing, forcing me to have to come restart iTunes on my computer. I'm on a Apple TV 3, PC, and the latest firmware for both the device and latest software for iTunes. Anyone have any idea? I've tried forwarding the ports for both, putting both in the DMZ, and using wired and wireless connections. Nothing seems to fix it.

Is it the appleTV plugged into the router or connected wirelessly? If the former, try the latter; I wanted to throw mine out the window until this thread told me they can be finicky when connected via network cable. I know that is still bad software/design/magic, but it worked.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

Have you tried setting a static IP for the ATV and PC?

The PC already had one, I tried setting one for the ATV and it was a no go.

The Aphasian posted:

Is it the appleTV plugged into the router or connected wirelessly? If the former, try the latter; I wanted to throw mine out the window until this thread told me they can be finicky when connected via network cable. I know that is still bad software/design/magic, but it worked.

Tried this and the other suggestion I saw of setting it so the ATV never sleeps. Neither worked.

E: I'm starting to think it's an iTunes or network issue, as it is doing the same thing with my iPhone and iPad as well. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes though and that did nothing, so I'm running out of ideas here.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Is this a Windows PC? I have this happen constantly with iTunes on Windows.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I don't know enough about home sharing (or home networking) to tell you what I'm doing wrong, but then if I did I guess I wouldn't be asking questions. Got my ATV3 about a month ago, everything worked; turned on home sharing and it did what it was supposed to do. But then some time went by and I went to try it again and I see "to access your itunes library on apple tv, turn on home sharing in itunes on your computer using 'user name.'" Well, it is turned on in itunes, and it's turned on on the ATV. I've turned home sharing off and on several times, on each device. I've restarted the computer (PC), restarted ATV, itunes is up to date, and Apple TV is up to date. The computer I'm trying to connect to is wired in to the router, and the ATV is connecting wirelessly.

This seems to be the top result for the problem, but I'm not smart enough to know what to do with knowing which ports are used for what.

Oh, and I just fired up itunes on my macbook pro, turned on home sharing, and it works perfectly on the ATV. So there's just something about my PC that won't let it connect (anymore). Ideas?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 24, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Is this a Windows PC? I have this happen constantly with iTunes on Windows.

It is. It was the router. I switched to a different one and it went back to working perfectly.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Frustratingly, I have this happen while using an Airport Extreme.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

jackpot posted:

I don't know enough about home sharing (or home networking) to tell you what I'm doing wrong, but then if I did I guess I wouldn't be asking questions. Got my ATV3 about a month ago, everything worked; turned on home sharing and it did what it was supposed to do. But then some time went by and I went to try it again and I see "to access your itunes library on apple tv, turn on home sharing in itunes on your computer using 'user name.'" Well, it is turned on in itunes, and it's turned on on the ATV. I've turned home sharing off and on several times, on each device. I've restarted the computer (PC), restarted ATV, itunes is up to date, and Apple TV is up to date. The computer I'm trying to connect to is wired in to the router, and the ATV is connecting wirelessly.

This seems to be the top result for the problem, but I'm not smart enough to know what to do with knowing which ports are used for what.

Oh, and I just fired up itunes on my macbook pro, turned on home sharing, and it works perfectly on the ATV. So there's just something about my PC that won't let it connect (anymore). Ideas?
Anybody have any ideas on this? I figured out enough to check the Windows (7) firewall settings, but it's showing iTunes as allowed and I'm not sure what else to do.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

jackpot posted:

Anybody have any ideas on this? I figured out enough to check the Windows (7) firewall settings, but it's showing iTunes as allowed and I'm not sure what else to do.

Turn off your firewall completely and see.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

TheJoker138 posted:

It is. It was the router. I switched to a different one and it went back to working perfectly.

I had the same issue, I had to restart the ATV after I hadn't pressed a button for 5 minutes or so, replacing the router fixed it right away.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So this is a really loving weird problem that I cannot figure out:

I renewed my Netflix subscription so I could watch the new Arrested Development episodes and when I try to play the episodes, I get the background music for the episodes but none of the dialogue. If I turn on closed captions I can see that there is dialogue being spoken but all I hear is the backing music.

Other content on Netflix plays without this issue and the new AD episodes are the only thing I can get to replicate the problem.

Does anyone know wtf?

EDIT: I tweeted @netflixhelps... we'll see if they have any ideas.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 31, 2013

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Are you hooked up to a surround sound system? Sounds like you're missing the center channel.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Turn off your firewall completely and see.
Turned off firewall, restarted Home Sharing, still nothing. I'm not smart enough to know what possibilities that eliminated.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Bucket Joneses posted:

I renewed my Netflix subscription so I could watch the new Arrested Development episodes and when I try to play the episodes, I get the background music for the episodes but none of the dialogue. If I turn on closed captions I can see that there is dialogue being spoken but all I hear is the backing music.

Other content on Netflix plays without this issue and the new AD episodes are the only thing I can get to replicate the problem.

Does anyone know wtf?

Do you have any other devices (or just a web browser) you can watch Netflix on to compare? If you get get regular sound elsewhere and still have the problem on the ATV, it's probably due to...

Cornjob posted:

Are you hooked up to a surround sound system? Sounds like you're missing the center channel.
...improperly-configured surround-sound!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Bucket Joneses posted:

Does anyone know wtf?

This is a real dumb solution, but maybe you can load Netflix on an iOS device and Airplay it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

This is a real dumb solution, but maybe you can load Netflix on an iOS device and Airplay it.

I don't think you can AirPlay Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narqulie
Oct 25, 2011

I don't think you can AirPlay Netflix.

But you can mirror, and airplay that way!

• Locked thread