Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Gatts posted:

Peter Dinklage for Fett.

Comedy option, Brock Lesnar.

Hulk Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Gatts posted:

Peter Dinklage for Fett.

Comedy option, Brock Lesnar.

Why not both? Dinklage is Fett, Lesnar is Jodo Kast, and nobody in the film can tell them apart.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Gatts posted:

Peter Dinklage for Fett.

Peter Dinklage as any character that can be written well enough for him, please.

edit: and again, Jennifer Lawrence as Jaina Solo.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Jennifer Lawrence as Jaina Solo.

1000x this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

edit: and again, Jennifer Lawrence as Jaina Solo.

That is one of the best goon casting ideas ever.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Seriously, stop and think for a second:

Who the gently caress else could you pick?

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 21, 2013

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Other than Emma Stone?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is there any hope that Disney will retcon some of the worst parts of the prequels? I was - to put it mildly - disappointed in learning that behind that insane mask Boba Fett was just a chubby kid.

Edit:
Removed ignorant ethnicity remark.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 21, 2013

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Spaceman Future! posted:

Other than Emma Stone?

.......yes?

Emma Stone is the next best option. But not the best.

Cast Emma Stone as Tenel Ka. Jennifer Lawrence would be able to pull off "comfortable techie that is happiest when crawling through a grimy engine". Emma Stone could pull off "young woman trying to distance herself from a privileged half of her family she can't stand by wrapping herself in the culture of other half" really well.

edit: why the gently caress do I remember this poo poo?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This is my Star Wars: The Next Generation cast.

Luke's son: Peter Dinklage
Luke's daughter: Megan Fox (They're twins! Like from the movie Twins)
Chewie's Daughter: Jennifer Lawrence plays Hanna Solo, she fulfills the Wookie quotient

Nerdy Pilot: The Rock
Dashing Bounty Hunter Droid: Marisa Miller
R2D2 Upgraded: Mark Henry "Beep Beep BOOP BOOO!"

Sith Lord: Mel Gibson
Sith Apprentice 1: Tom Cruise
Sith Apprentice 2: Emma Watson

Grand Moff: Matthew McConaughey

Boba Fett: Yayan Ruhian

And there's more...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Peter Dinklage as any character that can be written well enough for him, please.

Yoda?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Guys, I don't care what lovely EU spinoffs they do as long as they make one standalone for the trilogy? that had Darman and some commandos

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Seriously, stop and think for a second:

Gabourey Sidibe

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Oh poo poo guys, call Disney, we've got this on lock.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Cinnamon Bastard: Dinsey? Yeah, hey Disney? It's your cousin, Cinnamon Bastard! Y'know that new sound ya been lookin' for? Well listen to this!

*points phone at TV playing The Hunger Games*

Disney Exec: Hello...? Hello? What is that? I can't hear anything. How did you get this number?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

R2D2 Upgraded: Mark Henry "Beep Beep BOOP BOOO!"

Only if his entrance music plays whenever he is in a scene.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Maxwell Lord posted:

Only if his entrance music plays whenever he is in a scene.

SOMEBODY GONNA GET THEIR BEEP BOOPED
FIX 'EM UP, FIX 'EM UP
BREAK 'N HACK, BREAK 'N HACK

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Alex WS posted:

Is there any hope that Disney will retcon some of the worst parts of the prequels? I was - to put it mildly - disappointed in learning that behind that insane mask Boba Fett was just a chubby kid.

Yeah, but that chubby kid is going to turn into a kickass-Temuera-Morrison-butterfly, so it's ok. On another note: I really hope Disney doesn't retcon a single thing. For every Jar Jar removed we risk a politically correct Solo.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

Cinnamon Bastard: Dinsey? Yeah, hey Disney? It's your cousin, Cinnamon Bastard! Y'know that new sound ya been lookin' for? Well listen to this!

*points phone at TV playing The Hunger Games*

Disney Exec: Hello...? Hello? What is that? I can't hear anything. How did you get this number?

Best part is that it wouldn't actually be a Disney exec, it'd be 68 year old Gladys Ellison-Disney of Brattleboro, Vermont, retired registered nurse and grandmother of six, wondering what some probably drunk me was babbling about on her phone at 2am.

edit: This was a piece of Star Wars EU, Gladys is now Star Wars canon and her action figure comes out next year

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Best part is that it wouldn't actually be a Disney exec, it'd be 68 year old Gladys Ellison-Disney of Brattleboro, Vermont, retired registered nurse and grandmother of six, wondering what some probably drunk me was babbling about on her phone at 2am.

edit: This was a piece of Star Wars EU, Gladys is now Star Wars canon and her action figure comes out next year

She already was, she appears in the ROTJ SE celebration scenes and is one of the people who helped get the Death Star plans to the Rebellion.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

The real reason Starz's Spartacus is over is so Manu Bennett can play Jango / Bobba Fett.

Temeura Morrison:

Manu Bennett:

Ohhhh gently caress. They should just use this as an excuse to get the entire cast back together and make it Star Wars: Spartacus in Space.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
May the 4th be with you.

I'm sure some of you guys read Star Wars Comics and here's a Megabundle:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/blog/2013/dh-digital-may-4th-be-you-sale/

A bit pricey at 100 bucks, but there's a lot of quality comics there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Steam sale too, until May 6:

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - $3.39
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast - $3.39
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Force 2 - $1.69
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - $3.39
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - $1.01
Star Wars Republic Commando - $3.39
Star Wars Starfighter - $1.69
Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes - $6.79
Star Wars The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition - $6.79
Star Wars: The Force Unleased 2 - $6.79
Star Wars: Dark Forces - $1.69
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - $3.39
Star Wars Empire at War: Gold Pack - $6.79
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - $3.39

Republic Commando is an underrated gem.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Disney Game Execs,

Where's Tie Fighter? :colbert:

Marbs McWaffles
Aug 11, 2011
I wonder how long it'll be until we see a twi'lek Disney princess.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Marbs McWaffles posted:

I wonder how long it'll be until we see a twi'lek Disney princess.

Sometime after Leia herself joins the general Disney Princess pantheon. And I mean in terms of all the marketing etc., not just internet jokes around October/November last year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Episode VII starts shooting in early 2014

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-episode-vii-and-avatar-2-will-both-start-shooting-early-2014/

Also Avatar 2 is still a thing apparently

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Benne posted:

Also Avatar 2 is still a thing apparently

Yeah, Cameron's reportedly been trying to find 60FPS cameras so he can shoot it in HFR.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
gently caress HFR and 3d. It truly was a very crisp, clean way to watch 3d in the Hobbit - and it definitely was an "experience" to see just how well they did their special effects compared to the LotR trilogy, but after I saw the Hobbit on regular blu-ray on a TV that doesn't interpolate or do HFR/100hz or anything I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie better. I guess it was less "distracting" if I had to describe it. I just felt the cinematography and effects were a little more believable with that blur Jackson wanted to get rid of.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

dialhforhero posted:

gently caress HFR and 3d. It truly was a very crisp, clean way to watch 3d in the Hobbit - and it definitely was an "experience" to see just how well they did their special effects compared to the LotR trilogy, but after I saw the Hobbit on regular blu-ray on a TV that doesn't interpolate or do HFR/100hz or anything I can honestly say I enjoyed the movie better. I guess it was less "distracting" if I had to describe it. I just felt the cinematography and effects were a little more believable with that blur Jackson wanted to get rid of.

I felt the problem with the Hobbit wasn't necessarily with the HFR. It was that with HFR you can very easily pick out editing changes, and you can see every time some editor sped up a scene or pingponged frames or looped something.

I'm surprised they didn't do some sort of resampling (perhaps it's difficult and Nuke doesn't handle it) after doing the editing. But in the very first sequence, when Bilbo opens the chest, it's obviously sped up for timing reasons.

Maybe I'm wrong, and the "wrongness" is just a side effect of the HFR, but it did feel like almost every instance of jankiness happened when someone was moving faster due to time compression.

I'd guess the problem is this -- when you change the timing of a shot, but don't fix the motion blur, it's going to look hosed up if you have super high fidelity. The old Highlander TV series did this poo poo all the time to have 'fast' sword battles, and it felt exactly the same.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have not watched into darkness, but I have seen reviews and a spoiler or two. it does not seem too impressive.
Before that, there was some optimism about the next star wars because the last trek movie was star wars esque, and a. lot of the flaws were eexcusable between being the first in the start of a new franchise and the writers strike. Into darkness sounds not quite as positive and does not have either excuse.
Has it changed anyone's outlooks for the New Star Wars?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
STID is actually really good for the first half. Then for fans it devolves into referencing and mimicking previous Trek to the point of distraction. And since the resolution is heavily telegraphed, it diffused a lot of the tension (maybe they were scared to go full bore with it).

My wife say it with me and isn't a Trek fan so the references didn't distract her. However, even she felt the last half didn't build up or earn its conclusion so it felt sloppy for her too.

That said, his team for Star Wars (different from the STID writers and IMDB lists Michael Arndt as a co-writer) has a story outline from Lucas and a clean slate to do whatever they want to in the SW universe. However, they could again get scared or go way to safe so who knows.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 21, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

It definitely makes me concerned that the new Star Wars movies will fall down the same path of wanting to do something new then getting scared of being original at the last second and falling back on references and old stories.

It's fine for Star Trek because its referencing some of the greatest trek movies but I feel like for Star Wars it will be too easy for them to fall into the EU trap and end up with anti force space lizards and bug orgies if they get scared and fall back to references. Had into darkness not been referencing those movies and instead had to fall back on nemesis era films it would have been a disaster.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm optimistic. Abrams has done a great job breathing fresh air into Star Trek, and I hope he does the same for Star Wars.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
To be honest, one of the best moves in the EU was killing off main characters. Say what you want, but killing characters like Chewbacca made you rethink the invincibility of main characters. This adds tension.

Also, I'm not a big fan of reboots for the most part, but I'd rather the prequels get redone :colbert:. Jedi's ending is a solid ending. There's a galactic resolve. The conflict is over. There's no NEED for a story beyond it. At least with prequels you can create something because the conflict still exists.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

To be honest, one of the best moves in the EU was killing off main characters. Say what you want, but killing characters like Chewbacca made you rethink the invincibility of main characters. This adds tension.

Also, I'm not a big fan of reboots for the most part, but I'd rather the prequels get redone :colbert:. Jedi's ending is a solid ending. There's a galactic resolve. The conflict is over. There's no NEED for a story beyond it. At least with prequels you can create something because the conflict still exists.

It's easy to create a conflict when an empire fails and you've got bits and pieces of ad hoc forces fighting to regain or retain power. The best way to do it would be to remove the original characters and just have their children doing stuff.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dialhforhero posted:

The only tension was my blood pressure at how loving badly it was done.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

dialhforhero posted:

There's a different, but still very powerful story to be had there. Most of the EU's best stuff revolves around the idea that even after the Rebel Alliance takes over the Empire's old seat of power, evil comes out of the woodwork. The New Republic has to govern justly and promote peace while fending off Remnant forces. That's a story that I'm sure would speak to American and European audiences on the big screen. We live in a very different world now.

What I hope is that they don't just rehash the same story of our heroes vs. the big bad guy. It was incredibly executed in the original trilogy, but there's a reason why the prequel trilogy was significantly different.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Red Crown posted:

There's a different, but still very powerful story to be had there. Most of the EU's best stuff revolves around the idea that even after the Rebel Alliance takes over the Empire's old seat of power, evil comes out of the woodwork.

This is never ever a powerful story and the largest problem with EU stories. The dbz syndrome of more and more powerful things appearing out of nowhere is lazy and awful. On no look out the suncrusher is 100 times more powerful then the Death Star! Oh no it's the super galaxy gun that's like the sun crusher but bigger!!

The best stories and sequels are never just magnitudes bigger. In a new hope they had to stop the Death Star from killing everyone who disagreed with the empire. Then in empire strikes back the conflict is way smaller with it being a personal fight for Luke to save his friends. It's a smaller and more personal story that ends up being infinitely more powerful then if the super star fucker had showed up that could blow up galaxies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Wasn't there an EU plot (from a comic I think) with a device that could blow up the Universe?

Yeah ...

• Locked thread