Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

That first video, I understand EXACTLY why the engineer bailed. He doesn't know for sure there was not going to be a last second impact. Even an impact above 5 MPH can be fatal.

The second video when he whistled off I was looking at the "derails" (aka catchpoints) and was like, "no no no no no noo nooo! awww gently caress." :(

5 mph? Does the locomotive just crumple like a can or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ijustam posted:

5 mph? Does the locomotive just crumple like a can or what?

Trains are heavy. Just like getting crushed between two concrete blocks at super low speed will end you, so will being between two trains.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Don't trains run into each other all the time at 5mph for coupling?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I believe he is talking about person v. train.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Oh, yeah that's much different

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A train vs a railcar or three at 5mph isn't going to do anything - that's what you see in coupling. The train just couples to the car(s) and starts pushing them.

A train vs another train at 5mph? There is too much mass on both sides to simply accelerate one or the other, so something's got to give. I assume derailment, smashed cars, etc are all possible simply because the trains try to bunch up in the middle where they collide and it doesn't end well.

(note: Not a railroad pro, so I may completely have my head up my rear end here.)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

A train vs a railcar or three at 5mph isn't going to do anything - that's what you see in coupling. The train just couples to the car(s) and starts pushing them.

A train vs another train at 5mph? There is too much mass on both sides to simply accelerate one or the other, so something's got to give. I assume derailment, smashed cars, etc are all possible simply because the trains try to bunch up in the middle where they collide and it doesn't end well.

(note: Not a railroad pro, so I may completely have my head up my rear end here.)

You are correct. A crew in texas died in a low impact crash a few years back when their cab collapsed.

It is much more dangerous to the flat-nosed passenger "commuter" locomotive than to the crew in the old SD40 or GP38 freight locomotive. There is less to crush and they are way more fragile than a freight locomotive.

Think this:

Additionally if you are not killed by the crush, 5 MPH to zero inside a metal box can be bad on you as well as well. For example, I got a teenage lesson in physics when I jokingly bopped the brake pedal in an 87 Hyundai Excel at under 5 mph in a parking lot and put my friend all the way through the windshield.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 6, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

bisticles posted:

Yup, on the West side of the Hudson, across from Poughkeepsie.

I know right where that pic was taken, sup Orange County bud :respek:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

Additionally if you are not killed by the crush, 5 MPH to zero inside a metal box can be bad on you as well as well. For example, I got a teenage lesson in physics when I jokingly bopped the brake pedal in an 87 Hyundai Excel at under 5 mph in a parking lot and put my friend all the way through the windshield.

Heck even making a couple of hard joints while in the seat of an engine can hurt like hell.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!
So driving through the center of Australia, and we somehow managed to end up on a bridge over the railway line at the exact time a freighter was coming through. These only run once every few days out here and there was approximately 150km in either direction from us to the nearest towns.

A few days later, camped in an abandoned mining area, again 100+km from town, I woke up to a huge noise in the night and thought the loving apocalypse had come, turns out we camped on the other side of a hill to the line and in the dark didn't see it. Nothing like a few thousand tonnes of steel rolling past at 2am, <50m from you, to make you absolutely poo poo your pants.

Kontour fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 7, 2013

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Interesting that they have a passenger car. Do they have two rotating crews, or what?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Locomotives should have nose art :colbert:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Let one sit in a siding for too long and it'll get some.

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser
Well, big orange is installing drivecam units on every hyrail, to be extended to signal, telecom, and all other company vehicles as soon as they can get the money.

Those of us who have our own company trucks are now getting cameras installed to:
Watch inside the cab
Watch out the windshield
Track the vehicle via GPS
Record audio inside the cab
Automatically upload clips of 'erratic driving' via cellular network

You can thank Greg Fox, VP of transportation for that one, and you can bet UP and others will 'follow our lead'.

edit: as the poor bastard who has to install said cameras, I'm sorry. :psyduck:

spipedong fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 9, 2013

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

spipedong posted:

Well, big orange is installing drivecam units on every hyrail, to be extended to signal, telecom, and all other company vehicles as soon as they can get the money.

Those of us who have our own company trucks are now getting cameras installed to:
Watch inside the cab
Watch out the windshield

You can thank Greg Fox, VP of transportation for that one, and you can bet UP and others will 'follow our lead'.

This means I have to put on my hard hat every time I get out to take a piss. You putting these things in the MoW production gang vans? I'm sure they'd love to hear our banter.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They already have those inward facing cams in our crew vans on the UP.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

This means I have to put on my hard hat every time I get out to take a piss. You putting these things in the MoW production gang vans? I'm sure they'd love to hear our banter.

They are only triggered by an "event" a sudden stop, rapid acceleration, big bump, etc. So unless unzipping your pants causes a massive amount of air to rock your vehicle, you'll be fine. I've sat through hours of meetings about these drive cams. Make sure you and everyone in your vehicle is wearing their seat belts. That is now a critical decision failure. You can hit a button to manually record, causing the last 8 secs to be downloaded as well as everything after that. A third party will review every "incident" then forward the rule violating videos to the DE who then makes a decision. I have heard a lot of good things from people in the field about the cameras. I would be a lot more worried about a system audit team busting you rather than the cameras. And every vehicle will get them. Los Angeles and the bigger cities have them, ours have been ordered.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

spipedong posted:

Watch inside the cab
Watch out the windshield

You can also thank the Track Supervisors that have hy-railed and had an accident that has also uncovered several rules violations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Cars split the switch and derail in front of camera CSX
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6c9_1368315944

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

B4Ctom1 posted:

Cars split the switch and derail in front of camera CSX
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6c9_1368315944

"derailment accident caused by a careless CSX employee."

Was the switch not fully set? Or was it a mechanical failure? This happened three years ago, but I can't find an NTSB report on it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's not possible to tell by the video, as the comments point out.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its possible that the switch broke. Its possible that something just gave way while going over it.

Think about the average coal train, 130 some cars at 143 tons a piece. Close to 18,000 tons pounding away at a part that's not always in the best repair. Something will give way.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

They are only triggered by an "event" a sudden stop, rapid acceleration, big bump, etc. So unless unzipping your pants causes a massive amount of air to rock your vehicle, you'll be fine. I've sat through hours of meetings about these drive cams. Make sure you and everyone in your vehicle is wearing their seat belts. That is now a critical decision failure. You can hit a button to manually record, causing the last 8 secs to be downloaded as well as everything after that. A third party will review every "incident" then forward the rule violating videos to the DE who then makes a decision. I have heard a lot of good things from people in the field about the cameras. I would be a lot more worried about a system audit team busting you rather than the cameras. And every vehicle will get them. Los Angeles and the bigger cities have them, ours have been ordered.

I heard a good story today about how the camera saved a guy's rear end. His HLCS (Hy-rail limits compliance system, for those unfamiliar) went off, alerting the DS that he was out of his limits. He wasn't, and to prove it he turned the camera on and moved it to show that he was stopped well short of the insulated joints, with the signals in the distance.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

I heard a good story today about how the camera saved a guy's rear end. His HLCS (Hy-rail limits compliance system, for those unfamiliar) went off, alerting the DS that he was out of his limits. He wasn't, and to prove it he turned the camera on and moved it to show that he was stopped well short of the insulated joints, with the signals in the distance.

I think they are a good idea. I personally think the people that object them are the people that will more than likely get busted doing something they shouldn't.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I think they are a good idea. I personally think the people that object them are the people that will more than likely get busted doing something they shouldn't.

I'd make a 1984 joke or something, but when the stakes are that kind of high, I think it's at least somewhat justified.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Basically what it comes down to with anything like this is how sane are the rules, which basically translates to how much is violating the rules for good reason (or because you have to) a part of everyday operations?

The obvious example would be to point to the trucking thread and the combination of GPS tracking, computer logs, and unrealistic dispatchers making a "successful" run require the violation of one or more company and/or governmental rules.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Train runs over 9 foot alligator in Arkansas: http://wreg.com/2013/05/14/train-runs-over-huge-alligator-in-st-francis-co-ar/

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A nine foot gator isn't that big.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
"Average-sized alligator attempts to cross railroad track, gets high-centered, T-boned" doesn't have the same ring to it.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
No surprise here
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/blogs/frank-n-wilner/the-camera-never-blinks.html

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

I was fixing an HLCS unit in a scab (Loram) track machine the other day. That sucker had no less than 8 cameras on it.

One facing out the windshield, one facing out each side window with the mirrors in view, one top view of each operator's console, two at the rear of the cab facing inward towards each operator, and one facing the ladder and catwalk. Oh, and 3 microphones that I was able to find.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

"Federal regulations prohibit operation of the train by other than a federally licensed locomotive engineer. Trains do not make periodic stops to allow the engineer to use the cab's toilet, so it is widely ignored—but not publicly acknowledged—that the engineer turns train operation over to the conductor when periodically using the toilet. With cameras, which never blink, recording every activity in the cab, the question becomes whether an engineer will halt his train periodically to use the toilet—slowing average train speeds and increasing fuel burn—or allow himself to be documented by camera of a willful violation of federal regulations that can result in suspension, dismissal, and loss of a federal license to operate a locomotive."

I wonder how they will solve this problem.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Depends.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Empty gatorage bottles

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Welp, this just happened:
http://gothamist.com/2013/05/17/at_least_20_injured_after_metro-nor.php

Apparently the train was running on an out-of-service track.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Love this quote from that article:

quote:

She added that the stranded seem to be embracing the situation, "Everyone's drinking. Mouthing off to cops. Stuffed collars in $10,000 suits sitting on the ground drinking lovely beer and eating pizza."

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The cab cameras I can understand, but CN putting a camera in a locker room? What the heck were they thinking?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NightGyr posted:

Welp, this just happened:
http://gothamist.com/2013/05/17/at_least_20_injured_after_metro-nor.php

Apparently the train was running on an out-of-service track.

Don't ever believe the comments for one second.

Out of service track is just that. Out of service track. Cant be used, and is locked out. And besides that is all CTC controlled, which means in order to use a track, you have to get a light from the dispatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those Metro North trains are pretty darn new too. Maybe a year old?