Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Bummey posted:

A shitload of Gamevil games just went free if you want some grindy@gently caress Korean RPGs or <Sport> Superstars games.

For some reason I thought all of their games were grindy f2p so I never played them. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shalinor posted:

I spend every dollar I make on only goon approved hobbies. You can be assured that a dollar to me is a dollar to The Right Things To Buy.

... well, that, and spinach. Think of it like a 5c on the dollar spinach tax. It's good fiber.

Spinach will give you kidney stones. :colbert: I do not approve, but it's for your own good.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

loudog999 posted:

For some reason I thought all of their games were grindy f2p so I never played them. Any recommendations?

The early ones weren't, but the newer ones totally are. Zenonia 1 and 2, Baseball Superstars 2011 and before, uhh.. others.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

.Z. posted:

Back on topic though, anyone else playing Sorcery!? Is there any good reason to keep that pixie around??

I would be impressed if you managed to get rid of him!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samara posted:

I've probably spent over $200 in Simpsons Tapped Out.

It makes me nauseous to think about.

If you think that is bad, you should see what goons are spending for Puzzle & Drgons.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Flame112 posted:

I would be impressed if you managed to get rid of him!

I know how to get rid of him:

When starting off, take the right-wards options and you will come across a old man in a tree. Chat with him and help him and he gives you a torn spellpage.

A while later, you'll come across a lone house with an old lady in it who gives you tea. Stuff happens, she asks questions about the old man. If you give her the spellpage, she'll give you the option of having a pest banishing spell cast on you. It will get rid of the pixie.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Man I was never part of the Star Command hype so I tried to like it but ugh

I mean, EVERY CONVERSATION IS LIKE THIS. Three options that do the same thing. Sometimes you'll get a "crewmember or tokens" choice but in the end most of the game plays out as a prettier/worse FTL. Most of the game is me waiting for tokens to replenish.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I have a question about "copyrights". This was really prevalent on the Android and I just recently switched to Iphone. A game comes out and gets VERY popular. About a month later 100 clones come out that are so blatantly obvious.

Do developers have any recourse in this ? Blatant rip-offs seem like it would be a no contest. What is worse Is I'll read the reviews and people actually buy them.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I have a question about "copyrights". This was really prevalent on the Android and I just recently switched to Iphone. A game comes out and gets VERY popular. About a month later 100 clones come out that are so blatantly obvious.

Do developers have any recourse in this ? Blatant rip-offs seem like it would be a no contest. What is worse Is I'll read the reviews and people actually buy them.

I've seen games that straight up use promo art for other A list games for their preview images.
One little ninja game I saw recently unashamedly used cg stills from ninja gaiden to frame the lovely pixel screenshots they had.
Pretty certain I've seen some generic zombie minigame using a still from walking dead too.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

There's no way to really copyright game mechanics, Polygon did a pretty neat article on Ridiculous Fishing a couple weeks ago.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/4/24/4257958/cloned-at-birth-the-story-of-ridiculous-fishing

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Beef Assistant posted:

Laughing my gently caress off here if you even use money

Boycotting IAP until the iTunes Store is exclusively bitcoin driven. :colbert:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Coincidental that the copyright question just came up as I wanted to chime in on the love for Survivalcraft, bought it for my son this afternoon and he's been hooked ever since. It's pretty much Minecraft on the ipad done right.

To his partial credit at least it's not just a 1:1 copy and it appears he wants to add tons more content, hopefully his apparently huge sales won't dim his enthusiasm for a while yet.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

It's a very difficult, time consuming and complicated process to determine who owns the rights to anything. For example, Ron Gilbert is the original creator of <Video Game> but he can't make a new <Video Game> because he doesn't own the rights to it, doesn't know who owns the rights to it, and can't find out who owns the rights to it, even though that's the guy who created it, owned the company that made it, etc etc. He can't work with his own creation because the rights are lost in space, owned by some shadow figure who doesn't even know they own it or a forgotten, fossilized legal remnant of a corporation.

It is not Apple's job to enforce anything. They can only respond to complaints, and for good reason. With how long review processes are at the current time, after years of building the App Store, hiring, training employees, imagine how much work it would take them to individually research every piece of data that is submitted to them, among the hundreds of thousands of junkbox poo poo apps made by no name developers whose only barrier to entry is a $100 fee and a macintosh OS. They can either issue blanket denials on everything that even approaches a known copyright/trademark, which will hurt their profits and generate ill will among developers and consumers, or let everything through and leave it up to the rights holders to defend their copyrights and trademarks as they see fit.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 3, 2013

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Man I was never part of the Star Command hype so I tried to like it but ugh

I mean, EVERY CONVERSATION IS LIKE THIS. Three options that do the same thing. Sometimes you'll get a "crewmember or tokens" choice but in the end most of the game plays out as a prettier/worse FTL. Most of the game is me waiting for tokens to replenish.

Yeah this is a particularly egregious example of how they seem to have spent 2 years designing 1 mission and I guess drawing some art.

You know what I think the weirdest thing about the game is? The game is clearly supposed to be rooted in Star Trek but you could scarcely design a less Trekky game. There are virtually no nods to the source material. Which is a shame because it would be pretty easy to make a funny game out of lampooning Trek a little.

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 3, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bummey posted:

It's a very difficult, time consuming and complicated process to determine who owns the rights to anything. For example, Ron Gilbert is the original creator of <Video Game> (I forget the game this specific scenario revolves around, but it's one of his great, early adventure games. I may get a few things wrong here but shut up, bear with me) but he can't make a new <Video Game> because he doesn't own the rights to it, doesn't know who owns the rights to it, and can't find out who owns the rights to it, even though that's the guy who created it, owned the company that made it, etc etc. He can't work with his own creation because the rights are lost in space, owned by some shadow figure who doesn't even know they own it or a forgotten, fossilized legal remnant of a corporation.

It is not Apple's job to enforce anything. They can only respond to complaints, and for good reason. With how long review processes are at the current time, after years of building the App Store, hiring, training employees, imagine how much work it would take them to individually research every piece of data that is submitted to them, among the hundreds of thousands of junkbox poo poo apps made by no name developers whose only barrier to entry is a $100 fee and a macintosh OS. They can either deny everything on a blanket level that approaches a copyright/trademark, which will both hurt their profits and generate ill will among developers and consumers, or let everything through and let the rights holders defend their copyrights and trademarks as they see fit.

In many ways the app store has started to remind me of dollar/pound stores with their knockoff toys.
Buy genuine 'Mutant Hero' who is totally not just a He-Man figure with a mangled Ninja Turtles head!
I saw a rip off of puzzle fighter yesterday that not only mimics the gameplay/style but also redraws the (I think) exact character designs from street fighter.
Here:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gem-fighter/id587817907?mt=8

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Sidpret posted:

Yeah this is a particularly egregious example of how they seem to have spent 2 years designing 1 mission and I guess drawing some art.

The desiccated kosmonaut was pretty good though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
So I got SpaceAgency recently and it's pretty awesome! Basically you build rockets, launch them into orbit, dock to stations and do other miscellaneous space type stuff. Seems like there's probably a moonshot in there too, in a later level.

Totally worth the price of free!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sad lions posted:

In many ways the app store has started to remind me of dollar/pound stores with their knockoff toys.
Buy genuine 'Mutant Hero' who is totally not just a He-Man figure with a mangled Ninja Turtles head!
I saw a rip off of puzzle fighter yesterday that not only mimics the gameplay/style but also redraws the (I think) exact character designs from street fighter.
Here:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gem-fighter/id587817907?mt=8

Yeah, that's a pretty blatant akuma, blanka, etc. Some of the characters you can say are generic enough that those look-alikes are just coincidence, but a lot of those totally aren't.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I like how the terrible translation is even in the screenshots.

"Retard of 16 seconds."

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SquadronROE posted:

Spinach will give you kidney stones. :colbert:
So do the other healthy leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, etc. Even quinoa is high in what causes them. I think I'll risk some kidney stones. :colbert:

... also, Jones On Fire is currently the #1 free app on Amazon App Store. Being the free app a day set it up, then it just kinda took off - it's even beating the newly released Angry Birds. I'm really, really curious to see how that reflects back to iOS sales. This should be interesting.

Related, we're doing a 50% off weekend for Cinco de Mayo, so anyone thinking of buying, hold off until the price change percolates through.

EDIT: VV I keep meaning to... hmm, time to check Netflix :clint:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 4, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shalinor posted:

So do the other healthy leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, etc. Even quinoa is high in what causes them. I think I'll risk some kidney stones. :colbert:

You should go watch Deadwood. :colbert:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

If you think that is bad, you should see what goons are spending for Puzzle & Drgons.

I'll be honest. I've spent more on P&D than all other IAP for every other game I've downloaded. Game clicks with me like nothing else. Bejeweled on crack AND Pokemon? Yes. Yes. Yes.

But more importantly: GungHo (developers) give out the IAP currency out like candy. Every time there's an event (once a month or so) they ALWAYS give you 1 stone per day for 7-10 days. So you can genuinely roll/max out your stash and friends without spending a single dime.

If you're in Japan or have the JP version, you get even more poo poo. They have tournament and events and basically whenever anything remotely related to the game happen, you get free IAP. It's not as good in the US but they have done an outstanding job motivating the community to keep playing the game.

It also helps that the game is really loving fun.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
But look at all the amazing parts of my town I spent real money on. :(

Springfield mountain
http://imgur.com/Hjv2fyC

The brewery
http://imgur.com/ilie7BX

Krustylu
http://imgur.com/zJomPww

The Xmas shop
http://imgur.com/rmTggDN

I sped up the stadium
http://imgur.com/xkl4eDc

The tire fire and the bad guy lair!
http://imgur.com/YoE7uYp

Kill me now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
More of a rhetorical question, but you spent money on that? It doesn't even look impressive

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Isn't Tapped Out just Farmville with a Simpsons skin?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Isn't Tapped Out just Farmville with a Simpsons skin?

"Farmville with a xxxxx" skin is an entire genre.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just making sure I was correct before I laugh at that post.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I've never done this before, and I've tried to avoid all the social gaming IAP stuff, but if anyone is about to play Motor World: Car Factory, use the code HDJ2004. I need some more mystery cards, donuts, and a neat car.

I'm trying to resist the temptation to post it on Facebook.

I've only spent 99 cents on it, though. You can easily play for free.

Can you play Puzzles & Dragons for free?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 4, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Fazana posted:

Coincidental that the copyright question just came up as I wanted to chime in on the love for Survivalcraft, bought it for my son this afternoon and he's been hooked ever since. It's pretty much Minecraft on the ipad done right.

To his partial credit at least it's not just a 1:1 copy and it appears he wants to add tons more content, hopefully his apparently huge sales won't dim his enthusiasm for a while yet.

He just posted a video on upcoming fence gates. A silly thing to get excited about, but his version is better than Minecraft's implementation of the same thing. You can place two side by side, and they are jumpable by the player, but not by animals. In real Minecraft you end up needing to make some kind of airlock setup to animal pens because they always bumrush open gates. It's going to be easier to get animals in, and easier to keep them in.

Yeah, it's Minecraft but with a dev that gives a poo poo about the small details, and with a greater sense of realism rather than than just a pile of fantasy tropes. SurvivalCraft is a clone that has the potential to be so much more. Going to really enjoy watching where this one goes over coming months.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Puzzles & Dragons isn't available in Australia. That's probably a good thing.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Does anyone play Hero Academy ? Just to preface this, I've had my Iphone5 for a week.
I really like this game for it's make a move and wait style. It fits my schedule perfectly. Ill play a few moves on the toilet. Ill get a few moves in before work sitting in the parking lot having a smoke and my morning redbull.

Back to my earlier post about copyrights, thanks for the responses. The article posted about that fishing game was interesting as hell. It's like the app game is some wild west lawless land of "HA HA GOT IT FIRST" on the intellectual properties.

Speaking of which, I have a new game I'm developing calling Disgruntled Avian. It's a card based battle game where you explore an 8bit world using cards to capture creatures that you use in a match 3 style puzzle game to help build your village and manage its people. And it can be played online with your Facebook friends.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Count Chocula posted:

Puzzles & Dragons isn't available in Australia. That's probably a good thing.

That is a good thing. Make a US account, download it, and play it knowing that you can't add funds to said account!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Turpitude posted:

I'm really enjoying this game Hungry Shark Evolution. It's super fun, you swim around gobbling everything up and avoiding obstacles while doing quests like "Eat 5 Pelicans" and "Survive for 4 minutes". Your shark gains size and stats as you level up and spend points on it. The tilt controls are really solid and fun to use. It feels really good when you get lined up just right to launch yourself way up out of the water, usually at a person on a beach!
Thanks for instantly stealing a few hours of my life away :mad:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That is a good thing. Make a US account, download it, and play it knowing that you can't add funds to said account!

The only time being from Australia is a good thing.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Parkingtigers posted:

He just posted a video on upcoming fence gates. A silly thing to get excited about, but his version is better than Minecraft's implementation of the same thing. You can place two side by side, and they are jumpable by the player, but not by animals. In real Minecraft you end up needing to make some kind of airlock setup to animal pens because they always bumrush open gates. It's going to be easier to get animals in, and easier to keep them in.

Yeah, it's Minecraft but with a dev that gives a poo poo about the small details, and with a greater sense of realism rather than than just a pile of fantasy tropes. SurvivalCraft is a clone that has the potential to be so much more. Going to really enjoy watching where this one goes over coming months.

I'll be dropping some cash on this game soon. I like block building games but MCPE seems to be lacking and I don't have acces to a PC to try things like Tekit so this seems to be a happy medium. Besides a dev who releases 22 updates in 18 months that both add content and fix bugs is a dev that deserves support.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bummey posted:

It's a very difficult, time consuming and complicated process to determine who owns the rights to anything. For example, Ron Gilbert is the original creator of <Video Game> but he can't make a new <Video Game> because he doesn't own the rights to it, doesn't know who owns the rights to it, and can't find out who owns the rights to it, even though that's the guy who created it, owned the company that made it, etc etc. He can't work with his own creation because the rights are lost in space, owned by some shadow figure who doesn't even know they own it or a forgotten, fossilized legal remnant of a corporation.

Yeah, I have no clue who owns "The Pyramid of Peril." Heck, I know the people doing the reboot of a major adventure game and what they went through to get the rights was crazy.

And the worst thing? In many of these cases the games will never be remade.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Does anyone play Hero Academy ? Just to preface this, I've had my Iphone5 for a week.
I really like this game for it's make a move and wait style. It fits my schedule perfectly. Ill play a few moves on the toilet. Ill get a few moves in before work sitting in the parking lot having a smoke and my morning redbull.

Yeah, it was the goon favorite for a while, there was even a tournament. I played the crap out of it for a month or two.

Pitnicker
Apr 6, 2004

So Star Command. I marathoned through the game and I'd say all in all I enjoyed myself. It's definitely an uneven product. Basically the game boils down to two things: commanding space battles and managing your ship and crew in between.

The space combat itself is pretty solid. Every room on your ship provides some sort of tactical benefit in combat, and most of them require charging up prior to using them. The number of crew members assigned to the room, as well as said crew members' skills, increases each room's effectiveness. The rooms' effects are straightforward: weapons rooms fire upon the enemy ships, shield boosters recharge your shields, sick bays heal your injured, and so on. Upon activation, each weapon room initiates its own minigame with your performance dictating the success of the attack. When your shields go down, enemy parties will board your ship and their ship's weapons will actually cause locational damage which can prevent you from using rooms or even breach your hull. It is at these moments Star Command is at its best, when your bridge crew is dashing across the ship to repel invaders, your engineers are scurrying about to seal a breached hull, your medics are tending to wounded in the sick bay, and you yourself are overseeing the mayhem while also ensuring that you're still returning fire and maintaining your ship's defenses.

Your crew members themselves are largely self-sufficient, and will perform the appropriate actions—operating rooms, firing on enemies, healing, or repairing the ship—so long as you've moved them into range. The exception is environmental hazards, such as hull breaches, which they will merrily wander into and get sucked into space. Upon destroying the enemy ship, you are awarded tokens that are used to purchase rooms, upgrades, and crew members. The tokens come in red, yellow, and blue varieties, corresponding with the game's three classes: security, engineering, and science, respectively. For instance, if you want to purchase a sick bay or upgrade your shields, you'll need to spend blue tokens.

Outside of combat, you'll spend your time managing your ship and crew. After a battle, frequently your ship is in shambles and the game requires you to complete all the repairs yourself. I'm sure many will find it tedious to hustle engineers around the ship to put out the fires and seal the hull without of the immediacy of combat, but I found it relaxing, especially after an intense battle. Additionally, a number of rooms like the torpedo bay or dodge generator require ammunition to function, which is created on site by your crew. You can build up your stores of ammo before combat, giving you an advantage early in, but again this is something that requires time and attention outside of combat and the game could have easily provided a fast forward function.

As you progress through the campaign, you'll finish building rooms and staffing your ship and turn your attention to upgrading the rooms and cultivating the skills of your crew. Ship upgrades are all physically represented in the game world, and by late game your ship is much more fleshed out and interesting to look at, but as a consequence is more difficult to navigate and the pathing in this game leaves much to be desired. As your crew level up, they will unlock random class abilities, such as an instant heal for scientists, or a range doubler for engineers' repairs. 

Aesthetically, this game is a home run. While I personally am getting burnt out on the retro indie look, this game has an undeniable charm to it and I really enjoyed watching my crew move about and interact with my ship, especially after it was fully upgraded. The campaign itself is disappointing though, with forgettable characters, intentionally hammy (but still terrible) dialogue, and a throwaway plot. Star Trek this is not. Upon finishing the campaign you are given access to a New Game+ mode, with new classes of ships and all new rooms to try out, such as the armory, which equips your security staff with grenades. You are then able to take your original crew onto your new ship and play through a more difficult version of the campaign.

Unfortunately, as close as this game comes to being awesome, it really misses the mark in some areas. First and foremost, the game is either poorly optimized or has some sort of memory leak which causes performance to suffer terribly on my iPhone 4 as I proceeded through the campaign. The game started out running great (and did on the New Game+ campaign, too), but as I filled out my ship and upgraded the rooms, the frame rate slowly dropped until, by the final mission, it was almost unplayable. This is not a niggling complaint but a huge issue, hopefully one that can be resolved by patching. Another problem is that the game does a poor job explaining how some of the rooms and abilities function. The minigames confused the hell out of me at first and it took me awhile to figure out what some of the class-specific abilities were actually doing. Hell, I still don't know what having my bridge crew actually on the bridge accomplishes, or the benefit I receive from having more engineers in the engine room. The game also suffers from a host of minor issues that don't ruin the experience but slightly drag it down. An example: if you try to swap two crew members between rooms and they run into one another in the hall, they will simply stand there staring at each other instead of sidestepping around.

I didn't follow Star Command's storied development, and am not invested in the title's success or failure. Had I been a backer of the Kickstarter, or bought into the hype, I would have been sorely disappointed. Likewise, were I a hater, Star Command would not prove to be the miserable failure I'd have hoped. Nor do I agree with the reviews calling the game mediocre. Star Command is a good—not great—game. As someone who has not yet played FTL, Star Command offered a unique experience and introduced me to a type of game I've never played before. I really wish I could give this game an unqualified recommendation, because when everything works right it's simply awesome. Unfortunately everything does not work right quite a bit of the time. If only we could have a game with the charm and aesthetics of Star Command coupled with the quality gameplay of FTL, we would have something truly great in our hands. For now, I would say pick up Star Command if the idea appeals to you and you don't mind a gem of a game if it is seriously lacking in polish.

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see
Nice review. io_burn, hire this man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Very nice review.

Is there any reason to keep someone on the bridge at all?

• Locked thread