Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Which was 100 years beforehand and had to accommodate the no-longer-existent southern states, as far as choice went. Philly was an open and vulnerable city and had less political influence over the country than New York. If NYC was chosen, you'd get a deep water port and a very defensible position in wartime.

The mayor of NYC openly urged secession and the city itself was very pro-South. Heck, look at the 1863 draft riots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Which was 100 years beforehand and had to accommodate the no-longer-existent southern states, as far as choice went. Philly was an open and vulnerable city and had less political influence over the country than New York. If NYC was chosen, you'd get a deep water port and a very defensible position in wartime.

Because Philadelphia totally lacks a seaport and shipbuilding industry, right? :v:

Speaking of bad alternate history, has there ever been a Draka mod for V2? I seem to remember one for Ricky, but that was like a decade ago. The series itself looks pretty ridiculous and terrible (which is a shame since I think the idea itself is pretty cool), but I've seen some rehashes of it that make it a bit more believable/realistic and it seems like it'd be a cool 1836 alternate history start.

Drone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 3, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Is it possible to get canals in other places, or more specifically, Nicaragua? It was the prime location for the Atlantic-Pacific Canal until William Walker pissed off the British...

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

PrinceRandom posted:

Is it possible to get canals in other places, or more specifically, Nicaragua? It was the prime location for the Atlantic-Pacific Canal until William Walker pissed off the British...

Not without modding the game.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, it really does look play-doughy. The thing is, you can zoom nearly as far into Europe as you can in CKII, but the height map is much lower resolution (because other wise it would be 20,000 pixels across), so it doesn't look as good.
I'm thinking it's more due to the political map not having the physical texture over it. It makes it look flat.

Friend Commuter posted:

Not without modding the game.
Is it even possible then? Aren't canals just static meshes laid over the map?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Does the Pdox HQ sound like a bunch of Swedish chefs except with strategy games? I've always pondered this.

"Tu meke-a zee heeeghtmep, ve-a need tu updete-a theengs in zee cude-a. HuD is gueeng greet, by zee vey! Bork!"

Please tell me this is accurate.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
So Jan Mayen now a special "The Polar Bear Purchase" decision to rule all the polar bears...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
After downloading Vic2:HoD and updating the game (I own the Steam version, by the way), I get this error when I try running it, after the loading screen states that it's initializing maplogic. :( Does anyone know the reason for this error? I verified the game a couple of times and it came up clean. I'm also running Windows 8 (don't judge me! :D) if that's playing a part in this.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Major Isoor posted:

After downloading Vic2:HoD and updating the game (I own the Steam version, by the way), I get this error when I try running it, after the loading screen states that it's initializing maplogic. :( Does anyone know the reason for this error? I verified the game a couple of times and it came up clean. I'm also running Windows 8 (don't judge me! :D) if that's playing a part in this.

Clear the map cache in the game folder and delete the Paradox/Victoria 2 folder in Documents.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

That's a CK2 loading screen... I'm thinking you either extracted the wrong patch or extracted it to the wrong game folder.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Clear the map cache in the game folder and delete the Paradox/Victoria 2 folder in Documents.

Right, well that seems to work now, thanks! Do the cached files often cause issues like this, or only when changing to an updated version of the game?

EDIT: ^^^ Nah that's my wallpaper, I was just too lazy to cut around the error perfectly :D (I do love some of those CK2 loading screen images! But yeah, that one's gotta be my favourite, mostly due to the fact that the Muslim soldier reminds me of the Fremen from Dune, heh)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 4, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

That's a CK2 loading screen... I'm thinking you either extracted the wrong patch or extracted it to the wrong game folder.

I think it's his desktop image, the game crashes to desktop when you get that error so the loading screen would be long gone.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

uPen posted:

I think it's his desktop image, the game crashes to desktop when you get that error so the loading screen would be long gone.

That certainly makes a lot more sense.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Does the Pdox HQ sound like a bunch of Swedish chefs except with strategy games? I've always pondered this.

"Tu meke-a zee heeeghtmep, ve-a need tu updete-a theengs in zee cude-a. HuD is gueeng greet, by zee vey! Bork!"

Please tell me this is accurate.

It's actually way better. :colbert:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Pah, as I can't seem to be able to release a nation while at war (starting as the USA at the AHD start date, and am trying to release the California Republic for a three-way civil war), is there some way I can set a custom date, like with CK2? Alternatively, is there a publicly-available save that's immediately before the US civil war that I can get, or something else that I can do? Since I don't really feel confident enough to start at the earliest start date, as I'm not really sure about how to best handle all those empty/uncolonised provinces on the west coast.

Thanks for all your help guys, past and present!

EDIT: On a side-note, I found and loaded up my most recent save from my Brazil game yonks ago, and this is what I was greeted with:

The twist? It's 1904. I don't know how common it is for the US civil war to rage for quite that long, but it certainly took me by surprise! (same with finding that Mexico had taken most of the west coast, heh. I/Brazil also own Madagascar, but that's all I really did that game, conquest-wise)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 4, 2013

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
The beta patch seems to be pretty cool, so far. But drat, the .4% naval attrition is crazy. The beginning of the game has fleet strength just melting away.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I have a friend with the Steam version. The only way for him to play the game is to run a script that deletes the mapcache every time he wants to play the game. Go figure.

Also for some reason I just can't get the beta patch to work at all, even on a fresh install. It just crashes out when adapting history from the 1836 start.

Edit: finally got it to work on the third reinstall.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 4, 2013

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

ganthony posted:

The beta patch seems to be pretty cool, so far. But drat, the .4% naval attrition is crazy. The beginning of the game has fleet strength just melting away.

Yeah seems there are not enough supplies to go around so if you are a lower tier country it's impossible to get enough supplies to keep your ships maintained.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, and uncivs can't build proper ports, so when their ships in port suffer attrition, they can never be repaired.

Also, how long has it been that Korea is allied with China from 1836? I played my first game as Japan and tried to do that thing where you civilize by annexing Korea but, well, China made that a less than tempting goal.

I decided to go after Dai Nam instead... but it was so far away that I had to disband my fleet and make a new one with fresh ships that wouldn't die of attrition before my army got there.

While I was occupying their territory it occurred to me I'd have to make a third fleet if I ever wanted to get my troops back, and I took a step back and looked at what I was doing and how little sense it all made and quit playing.

At least Japan invading Korea made some sense, even if the bonus was kind of absurdly good. I mean, they did tend to do that historically. Invading Southeast Asia is just gamey poo poo. And the fleet shenanigans were even worse.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Right now religious policy in V2 has pretty much no effect on pops and I wonder if it shouldn't affect pop consciousness over time like

code:
religious_policy = {
	pro_atheism = {
		global_pop_consciousness_modifier = 0.01
	}
	secularized = {
		#no effect
	}
	pluralism = {
		global_pop_consciousness_modifier = -0.01
	}
	moralism = {
		global_pop_consciousness_modifier = -0.02
	}
}
Perhaps it should affect immigrant attraction too?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
I take it this is a maths error somewhere? (Not using the beta patch) Either that, or Communist Ireland just isn't impressed by the mightiest army in the world.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Friend Commuter posted:

I take it this is a maths error somewhere? (Not using the beta patch) Either that, or Communist Ireland just isn't impressed by the mightiest army in the world.

Holy poo poo :D

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Friend Commuter posted:

I've seen that happen when trying to ally with nations I've just released after a war. It goes away if you give them a month or so, so I think it's related to them having no military at all and the AI does a screwy calculation.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Whoa, the flag for Communist Ireland is bitchin'.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Great Coal Crisis of the early 20th century is really annoying. Any tips in regards to that? I am Brazil, and the distinct lack of coal ANYWHERE in Latin America is frankly abysmal. I guess I will just add some in Colombia and Chile.

Also, must say that after AHD and HoD, Vic2 became a much more enjoyable game. I hope that there is at least one more expansion planned to cut the gem into a really nice game :)

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

DerLeo posted:

I've seen that happen when trying to ally with nations I've just released after a war. It goes away if you give them a month or so, so I think it's related to them having no military at all and the AI does a screwy calculation.

It's been over a year, and the penalty's only down to three quarters of a million or so. Oh well, I guess it isn't all that important, I can just sit back and bathe in the glory of their flag.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
How do I avoid bleeding out as a low pop but civilized country?

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Eiba posted:

Yeah, and uncivs can't build proper ports, so when their ships in port suffer attrition, they can never be repaired.

Also, how long has it been that Korea is allied with China from 1836? I played my first game as Japan and tried to do that thing where you civilize by annexing Korea but, well, China made that a less than tempting goal.

I decided to go after Dai Nam instead... but it was so far away that I had to disband my fleet and make a new one with fresh ships that wouldn't die of attrition before my army got there.

While I was occupying their territory it occurred to me I'd have to make a third fleet if I ever wanted to get my troops back, and I took a step back and looked at what I was doing and how little sense it all made and quit playing.

At least Japan invading Korea made some sense, even if the bonus was kind of absurdly good. I mean, they did tend to do that historically. Invading Southeast Asia is just gamey poo poo. And the fleet shenanigans were even worse.

Eh. Japan can still kick China's rear end when annexing Korea. It takes a big longer, since you have to get them to peace out. But, because Manchuria doesn't usually join the war, it isn't too bad. The attrition thing was tough, but if you take the reform that activates Post-Nelsonian thought, it isn't -as- bad. And then you westernize and are a great power, and it's all good,

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DerLeo posted:

It's an integer overflow issue, the beta patch fixes it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Drone posted:

Whoa, the flag for Communist Ireland is bitchin'.

It's the actual flag of the Communist Party of Ireland! :eng101:

Similar to a question I asked a few days ago, does anyone know where in the game files I can find all the flags as individual files? I remember seeing that once but now I can only find the ones where all the fascist, communist, etc flags are one huge image. I'd love to reverse image search them and see what the real-life inspiration behind them are.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
...steamapps\common\victoria 2\gfx\flags

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Transmetropolitan posted:

The Great Coal Crisis of the early 20th century is really annoying. Any tips in regards to that? I am Brazil, and the distinct lack of coal ANYWHERE in Latin America is frankly abysmal. I guess I will just add some in Colombia and Chile.

Also, must say that after AHD and HoD, Vic2 became a much more enjoyable game. I hope that there is at least one more expansion planned to cut the gem into a really nice game :)
Colombia and Chile have some coal.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nightblade posted:

...steamapps\common\victoria 2\gfx\flags

Awesome, thanks!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Transmetropolitan posted:

I suggest to change trade goods in provinces

Chile, 2328
Brazil, 2459
Argentina, 2399

The problem is that Colombia is supposed to be the biggest coal producer irl, but does so only in one region.

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
What is the optimal number of capitalists to have in a state for boosting factory productivity? I'm playing a civilized China and my pops are promoting faster than I can expand the factories, so I have a bunch of National Focuses that I was using to promote craftsmen and clerks that are now better used for something else.

Also, I know aristocrats boost farm productivity in a state, do they also boost non-farm RGOs (like my precious coal mines)?

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Is there a reason that the revolt win timer got changed to 30 days? I mean I felt a year was a bit long but making it more than 10 times shorter seems pretty drastic.

To be honest mega revolts are something that makes the game kind of a drag for me, even when they're not a big threat they are just so tedious. I wish there was a way to have them spawn in larger armies that make a beeline for key provinces or something rather than have them spring up everywhere, I know that's a side effect of the pop system and arguably more realistic but it's just no fun.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BulletHole posted:

What is the optimal number of capitalists to have in a state for boosting factory productivity? I'm playing a civilized China and my pops are promoting faster than I can expand the factories, so I have a bunch of National Focuses that I was using to promote craftsmen and clerks that are now better used for something else.

Also, I know aristocrats boost farm productivity in a state, do they also boost non-farm RGOs (like my precious coal mines)?

Aristocrats boost all RGO output by 1% per 1% (1 perperpercent?) Capitalists reduce factory input requirements, but by such a small amount that it's not really worth trying to get a whole lot of them. Craftsmen are good if you've got a lot of input goods, clerks if you don't (or also want more RP).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shorter Than Some posted:

Is there a reason that the revolt win timer got changed to 30 days? I mean I felt a year was a bit long but making it more than 10 times shorter seems pretty drastic.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised by how short that timer is.

Shorter Than Some posted:

To be honest mega revolts are something that makes the game kind of a drag for me, even when they're not a big threat they are just so tedious. I wish there was a way to have them spawn in larger armies that make a beeline for key provinces or something rather than have them spring up everywhere, I know that's a side effect of the pop system and arguably more realistic but it's just no fun.
Maybe having rebel armies under a certain size* and within a certain distance move to consolidate? Smaller ones going towards larger ones, except when the smaller one is already in the process of occupying. Perhaps also have all the rebels in a state spawn in the state capital, to simulate them actually having planned it out a bit before they actually revolted? At least the rebels who are trying to overthrow the government, not nationalists.

*Whatever the AI is thinking when it makes armies for states should work for rebels as well, right?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Riso posted:

I suggest to change trade goods in provinces

Chile, 2328
Brazil, 2459
Argentina, 2399

The problem is that Colombia is supposed to be the biggest coal producer irl, but does so only in one region.

Many thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

James The 1st posted:

Colombia and Chile have some coal.

I think this was added in the beta patch. I see Nancy produces dye now, so I guess a few things were changed around.

• Locked thread