Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SlothfulCobra posted:

Looking at the first panel again, who are those people in the convenience store? Is the activity club doing a sleepover, or maybe some investigative "journalism"?

Strange beings sometimes wander into stores to buy things.

Also I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but see the [Pull] rope in the first panel and look what it's attached to upstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackArtistik
Feb 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Convenience stores often find themselves occupied by "customers", who have come to purchase wares.

Said customers' silhouettes remind me of Johnny and his crew, sans Ollie.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Zerilan posted:

If Zack gets an online store started that just sells all the shirt designs that his characters have worn in the comic he would pretty much end up with all of my money.

I've been helping someone open a daycare and would kill for the insolent children shirt.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tupperwarez posted:

I'm guessing it's either The Cousinhood snooping on the new spectral in town, or a hilariously obvious Mafia-owned business.

Also, has it been explained yet if spectral abilities are genetic? Isabelle's grandpa is apparently a spectral, so I'm wondering if there are/were spectrals in Max's family. Maybe a crazy grand-uncle who in retrospect wasn't so crazy after all.

The duplicating ghost considered possessing Max's dad. It didn't, presumably because he's kind of a dork but I think the fact the ghost even considers it says that Max's dad has the potential, even if it never developed for whatever reason.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

The duplicating ghost considered possessing Max's dad. It didn't, presumably because he's kind of a dork but I think the fact the ghost even considers it says that Max's dad has the potential, even if it never developed for whatever reason.

Well everyone has the potential to become a spectral, any regular human that gets possessed will become one eventually. Zack has also confirmed in the comments somewhere that spectral ability/color isn't genetic or anything.

edit for big nerd

Probably her grandpa just has a lot of red spirit tools lying around, would explain why they happen to share the same color. :v:

YES bread fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 30, 2013

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Oh my God, I just looked at the cast page. Scroll all the way to the bottom entry.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Takezio posted:

Oh my God, I just looked at the cast page. Scroll all the way to the bottom entry.

I want it.

I need it.

Edit: I have it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Is it just me or do the Activity Club pictures on the cast page look a bit different? I don't remember Mr. Spender having that coat before.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nick_326 posted:

I forget if this was posted already. It's a compilation of certain things Zack has said in the comments section.

Oh my god.

SaladinShui posted:

Interesting that the spirit shows up on film. I mean presumably only the spectrals can see it, but still. That means the camera is actually recording it, just in a way that’s invisible to normal people, right?

Zack posted:

Yes. I have an idea for a chapter using this as a plot device. I think the idea is that, to spectrals, the spirits are completely real in such a way that, for example, a spectral would be able to avoid getting a tan on a sunny day by staying under a large, floating spirit. The real world and the supernatural world are sort of like two separate worlds on top of each other, with spectrals getting affected by things in both.

So this is basically going to happen with Suzy I guess, unless all the theorycrafting this thread has done about Dimitri is right and he hides everything.

Although I guess Suzy has never been depicted with a camera, and she wanted Max for that job, so maybe not.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Last night the creator of Vibe did a livestream with accompanying vocals by Demon Kings guy and Zack. By the end it had mostly turned into Parachat and he answered a ton of (mostly really awful) questions. Here's most of what I remember, spoilered for spoilers and meta stuff!

Obvious at the end of last chapter, but Spender is juggling two or more spirits. More importantly, he is confirmed to own several ties.
Zack mentioned that a lot of people have assumed that the Cousinhood is some kind of huge over-arching spectral organization, and that it's really not.
Things he's been most excited to draw in the comic so far? The first appearance of Doorman, and the first page of chapter 4. Also, Doorman has a friend that we have yet to meet. He seems to really like Doorman.
The main villain has not yet been introduced. This was accompanied by lots of evil laughter.
Lisa runs a coffee shop within the school cafeteria, the accepted currency being Starchman Stars.
Cody will become a mystery solving tween, gosh.
Max's friends Sam and Doghouse will show up for one chapter.
Talked about how spirits in the wild will eat ghosts and other spirits, and how spirits trapped in tools/mediums can eat ghosts/spirits of the same energy type to regenerate faster. The specific example he gave was a spirit killing it's medium and hoovering up the ghost(:stare:) for a quick snack, at the expense of long-term energy gain.
Confirmed that he understands plot threads and basic storytelling by answering some dude's question that yes, Max will meet his mother eventually. Said he wanted to make sure he got the scene right. Someone in the stream said "don't want to pull a loss.jpg?" and he replied "yeah that."
Someone asked if Isabel was an only child. His response: "Kiiiiiindaaa?"
Insolent Children is skater kid music and they sing about hating their parents. Max and his dad listen to them together.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

YES bread posted:

Insolent Children is skater kid music and they sing about hating their parents. Max and his dad listen to them together.

the best dad

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know it's time to reconsider your life when your work has pretty much become a nearly ubiquitous cautionary tale for others in your field. Thankfully Tim Buckley is apparently incapable of introspection :v:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-3/

That's not how you make a Calzone, dad-dude.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I've had pizza almost that greasy. :gonk:

Also, is it just me or does that lamp in the background have a noose tied around it?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pelvic thirst

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Oneiros posted:

I've had pizza almost that greasy. :gonk:

Also, is it just me or does that lamp in the background have a noose tied around it?

That rope goes downstairs for customers to pull on when they want to check out. Presumably the lamp breaking is what alerts the upstairs to this.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Just imagine Lefty casually taking a stroll down a park or something on his fingers.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

kidcoelacanth posted:

pelvic thirst

Zack comes up with the best names for things :allears:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I wonder what sorta extra diet restrictions "deep veganism" involves?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Matlock Birthmark posted:

No animal or plant products or byproducts.

Hence the glitter.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I like the little imp dude in panel six, all with his tiny fire sword and shield, fighting a rat spirit. Also hooray, the store ghosts!

Edit: I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Max's dad spent/wasted the time to set up a completely ludicrous anti-theft system. Like RFID tagging every item with a unique ID, letting him know that not only did you steal an energy drink, but that you took the third lemon-lime one from the left.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 4, 2013

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

kidcoelacanth posted:

pelvic thirst

Pelvic Thurst.

Pelvic Thirst was that lovely new coke version they put out.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I really love Hissin' Pete. That's all I have to say that hasn't already been said.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Tupperwarez posted:

I like the little imp dude in panel six, all with his tiny fire sword and shield, fighting a rat spirit.

Their battle rages eternal :black101:

It's good to see PJ again, he's pretty great.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
I have to imagine that Max's dad would be thrilled that he bought a store that has personal ghost security.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speaking of names for beverages, I note they are drinking Diet Bubs.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Real Deep vegans dont eat anything that casts a shadow. Short answer: being vegan just makes you better than most people. :smug:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm really digging the lighting on this page. It's just beautiful.

Maybe these spiritual squatters can make themselves useful as a security system. That'd be neat.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The shoplifters look like they have uniforms under their hoodies. Mayview Academy rich kids?

Also they look like bizzaro versions oh Johnny and two of his friends.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Prison Warden posted:

Real Deep vegans dont eat anything that casts a shadow. Short answer: being vegan just makes you better than most people. :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqqGZBRBLcM

(For anyone that didn't get the reference. It's a great movie, you should rent it or something. Comics're pretty good too.)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Onean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqqGZBRBLcM

(For anyone that didn't get the reference. It's a great movie, you should rent it or something. Comics're pretty good too.)

And the other reference was an older one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFBeeBSIH5Q

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

YES bread posted:

I only just noticed the little red spirit that befriended max on that page. I love finding new details like that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
PJ's got a thousand-yard stare for every panel of that strip. His eyelids don't so much as twitch.

That kid's got it rough.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

And the other reference was an older one:

Well, there ya go. Didn't know about that one.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

YES bread posted:

How does he make such a background detail so likable? Seriously this little guy with a shield and fiery sword personifies :black101:.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Did they actually expect people to buy a drink called "Pelvic Thurst"?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Are you really saying you wouldn't?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Zack would make a killing if he opened an online store that exclusively sold Paranatural-inspired novelty drink sleeves. I would drink out of my Pelvic Thurst coke-can holder every day.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Cute fan art of Paranatural, courtesy of Gigi Digi, creator of Cucumber Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Issac's hair aint' spikey enough. :colbert: But that's a pretty cool fanart drawing.