Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Inveigle posted:

Or perhaps try to get one of the original Roostroyer baby cocks or hens? They must be out there!

And remember that VS offered you Sparklebob, who might turn out to be a full Light Brahma roo (or hen)! There's lots of options for you! :)

I'd love to get SparkleBob if he turns out to be a roo, but right now I won't replace any chicken until I'm sure this cocci outbreak is contained. My sister was told at the lab in San Bernardino that there's nothing to worry any possible effect on humans, but they suggested her that if another chicken presents severe symptoms like Roo (and probably Baba too :(), it'd be better to cull the bird to avoid any more spreading in the flock :(, so they'd better not get sick, I really can't handle losing another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
Oh no, Roo. He was my favorite chicken superstar from this thread, what a bummer to lose him so suddenly and unexpectedly. So sorry for your loss, Chido. You did what you could for him and Baba. Hopefully the necropsy will give you answers soon.

Perhaps you can get your hands on a Roo-spawn from your nieces?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:( Sorry to hear your loss. It's not every day that a rooster comes along that will let you dress him up in a tux.

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.
They have chicks at the local hardware store! So, of course, I had to go look at them, and then I had to pick a few up, and they in turn HAD to fall asleep in my cupped hands as I was stroking their tiny birdie heads ...

I don't have money for a coop right now, god-dammit. This has to wait until next year. Must ... stay ... strong...

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah good luck with that.

We let the little chicks out to mingle a bit under our supervision. One of the older reds came and pecked at stuff with them. It was quite amusing. The little gray one would sometimes steal something she was about to bite.

The reds are our most friendly and curious hens.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

It's been really hot these last 2 days, so I'm progressing slow in changing coops, but I'm gettign there. I got the hoes new nest boxes and they've already use, and got the new waterer ready and I'll use it tomorrow. It's so weird to look outside and not see Roo walking around or boking outside the kitchen :smith:

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
I'm on day 10 of my first incubation with the Reptipro.
There are 12 out of 15 Wheaten Maran eggs that seem to be making it so far. The eggs are set on the bottom and because of temperature variation (thermostat is at top) I set the temp at 103. This keeps a constant 100 on the bottom with no variation.

Humidity is a bit of a challenge. I am being called away the day after tomorrow for five days. If I put any amount of water in to be enough not to evaporate in that time, the humidity would be too high. There is a quick evaporation of the water because I am leaving the door cracked a bit and held together with packing tape along the edge (so oxygen can get in). This is quite the air tight machine (for reptiles I guess?) I am closing the top half of the door crack with tape and the bottom half is left open. I also have an aquarium pump with tube set up to send in some air just to be sure.

The pans and bowls you see are my attempt at raising the humidity in the room, so that there will be some consistency while I'm gone. The pump has an intake on the bottom so I set it on a screen which is on a pan of water. I also placed a pan of water near the crack in the door.

I don't know if you can see it or not, but with these efforts I am maintaining a humidity of 25% (temp staying constant at 100). Can you say 'dry incubation method'? I'll raise humidity on day 18 to about 60% I think. I would rather it keep at 40% till day 18, but I would have to be here to keep refilling the water bowl. Looks like it's gonna be a low attempt for this first hatch!

In the meantime,
I have a broody hen setting on 4 eggs outside in a quickly put together brooding pen. I hope to place the chicks from the incubator under her while she sleeps. I'm not sure if this will work, she is a first-time broody. I hope her eggs make it as well, but those are about 4 days behind these.
Wish me luck!

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Chido posted:

It's been really hot these last 2 days, so I'm progressing slow in changing coops, but I'm gettign there. I got the hoes new nest boxes and they've already use, and got the new waterer ready and I'll use it tomorrow. It's so weird to look outside and not see Roo walking around or boking outside the kitchen :smith:

I'd like to imagine that Roostroyer donning some sorta Build-A-Bear Spartan battle armor, then valiantly giving his life fighting off a Lovecraftian Ancient One Horror to save his henhoes, Chido, & Family.

That is not the truth, but it's how I like to remember him. :unsmith:

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

We come in to the world and we have to go, but we do not go merely to serve the turn of one enemy or another.

Vaga42Bond posted:

I'd like to imagine that Roostroyer donning some sorta Build-A-Bear Spartan battle armor, then valiantly giving his life fighting off a Lovecraftian Ancient One Horror to save his henhoes, Chido, & Family.

That is not the truth, but it's how I like to remember him. :unsmith:

Like a combination of Book of the Dun Cow and Neil Gaiman's The Price. I like it. :unsmith:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Vaga42Bond posted:

and looking fabulous in it :unsmith:

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Awww, sorry to hear about Roo Chido, what a shame.

Chicks should be arriving this week! Oh god why am I getting into chickens again...

Also I finally got the stupid block foundation for my coop laid last weekend (great thing to do when eight months pregnant right?), all that's left is to build a new run. I almost gave up and was like "meh just build it on the grass" but I persisted and it's done! Which made me feel a lot better when I saw the chicken murdering pair of pitbulls running loose in the field behind my house this morning. So much for that neighbor keeping them contained better.

This is going to be chicken Fort Knox, and with racoons, foxes, hawks and pitbulls to contend with I guess there's no such thing as overkill in this case.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Bought a bell waterer today - will make me feel better knowing they'll have a constant supply of water, and I won't have to keep changing it.

Also, they're going through close to 50 pounds of food a week. Didn't do this to make money, but poo poo, gonna have to charge $3 a dozen to keep up with feed costs.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
How many birds, and how much feed is being wasted? 50lbs seems really high unless you have 50+ birds, but what do I know.

Thursday, my husband says (over IM), Do you think it's OK for the chickens to have a snake?

I said, "I guess, sure!"

Apparently the snake that a cat caught (but didn't hurt) had made it into the pen, and the girls wrecked the poor little guy. We mostly just have garter snakes here (not poisonous, eat bugs) and rubber boas (also not poisonous), so I feel bad for the local snakes and lizards.

My husband has taped the girls eating yogurt, too, because in his words, "It's too funny not to share."

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
It's probably closer to a week and a half, but 25 chickens, four ducks, and one duck that thinks he's a chicken.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

My younger niece came to tell me that "the chickens are thirsty and are not using the chicken nipples :ohdear:" I told her not to worry since it's not hot today and the chickens won't die if they go thirsty for half a day. I've shown the dumb birds that water comes out of them, they're just weary of using them. I guess they don't like changes :saddowns:.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

My younger niece came to tell me that "the chickens are thirsty and are not using the chicken nipples :ohdear:" I told her not to worry since it's not hot today and the chickens won't die if they go thirsty for half a day. I've shown the dumb birds that water comes out of them, they're just weary of using them. I guess they don't like changes :saddowns:.

If you can get one of them to use the new waterer, then they'll all start doing it. Perhaps pick one or two of the "fastest learners" and spend some time showing them how the chicken nipples work? Perhaps bring some special treats with you, to use as an incentive as you teach them about the waterer.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

If you can get one of them to use the new waterer, then they'll all start doing it. Perhaps pick one or two of the "fastest learners" and spend some time showing them how the chicken nipples work? Perhaps bring some special treats with you, to use as an incentive as you teach them about the waterer.

One of them kinda got it. I ended up putting a small dish with medicated water just to make sure they drink it, but I'll take it away when I go back outside to finish the coop. :)

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
I'm so sorry to hear about Roo. He was a cock among cocks.

pookers
Jul 9, 2007
We've been our 5 week old chicks outside during the day and bringing them in at night since it's still chilly and some don't have all their feathers. They were fine last night in their brooder with the lights off, but tonight as soon as I turn off the light in the room they do that screechy peeping like something is wrong. They have fresh food and water and their bedding is clean, anyone have any idea wtf their problem is? As soon as the light goes off they all stand together and screech-peep! I know theyre not cold or anything because its 75 degrees in there, and as soon as I turn the light back on they go about their business.

They need to get used to the dark so I can get them outside in their big pen! Do I just turn the light off and let them peep?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poor babies need their nightlight, poor guys. Sounds adorably distressing. Got any lights you can gradually dim?

pookers
Jul 9, 2007
They totally do, haha. I wish I had a dimmer. Maybe I'll keep it on tonight because I'm a softie and get a dimmer tomorrow. It totally stresses me out to hear sad peeps. Never thought I'd get attached to chickens, but hey.... they're cute.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
A friendly reminder that chickens do not see well in the dark.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
COOP!!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

LOOKS AMAZING! GREAT JOB! Do I have permission to print a copy of your finished product?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

piscesbobbie posted:

LOOKS AMAZING! GREAT JOB! Do I have permission to print a copy of your finished product?

By all means go ahead.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Got an email with the preliminary results from Roo's necropsy. I don't quite understand what this means, but it seems Roo had a mass attached near the colon besides cocci:

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s

History of pain when defecating, lethargy and breathing problem, with:
- Impaction and Intestinal obstruction by intraluminal mass (colon).
Pending:
- Salmonella PCR
- AI PCR
- Parasitology
- Histology

C a s e S u m m a r y

The main gross findings in this bird were blockage of the terminal colon by intraluminal mass which resulted of in impaction ofthe colon and ceca. The cramps/straining manifested during defecating was probably related to the intestinal obstruction bythe mass. Histology may reveal more information on the nature of the mass. We will be screening for Salmonella, parasitestest for AI by PCR as part of the routine surveillance program. Results shall be sent out as they become available.

C l i n i c a l H i s t o r y

Diarrhea, crampts, pain when pooping, lethargic, problems breathing. One chicken (hen) died two weeks ago. It had similar symptoms. No change in feeding. Bird went to vet and treated.

G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s

Necropsy of a 3.5 Kg white and black Brahma rooster began at 10:00 am on 5-3-2013.
The carcass was in good flesh and there was adequate fat reserve. The tissues were in good state of postmortem decomposition. The crop and gizzard were full of feed. The proximal small intestines contained watery thin fluid. The ceca and colon were distended with fecal matter as the result of blockage of the lumen of the terminal colon by a moderately firm, oval
shaped grey/white mass (2.5 x 1 cm size) that was firmly attached to the wall. No other gross abnormalities were noted in this bird.

B a c t e r i o l o g y

Test Specific Comments

Salmonella PCR and Confirmation Culture

CAHFS Preliminary Version 1 Accession # S1303500 May 05, 2013
There is a greater than 90% correlation between Salmonella culture and PCR test results. Cases in which thePCR result is positive but an isolate isn’t recovered may be due to low numbers of organisms, competition with other bacteria (particularly Proteus), or non-viable Salmonella in the sample. PCR is a very good tool for ruling
out Salmonella negative samples with a rapid turnaround time.

This is what I have so far. I'll post the rest as I get it. Is the mass something that may be caused by cocci too?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Chido posted:

This is what I have so far. I'll post the rest as I get it. Is the mass something that may be caused by cocci too?

It could be unrelated to cocci, as I've had a vet find a growth in the abdomen of one of my hens (had to be killed obviously :() that caused her to be all blocked up like it sounds like with Roo, but she didn't have cocci.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Geokinesis posted:

It could be unrelated to cocci, as I've had a vet find a growth in the abdomen of one of my hens (had to be killed obviously :() that caused her to be all blocked up like it sounds like with Roo, but she didn't have cocci.
The last hen of our original three was discovered to have a 4 inch tumour on her liver. It was causing her considerable pain at at that point so we had her put to sleep. Sad day, that. :(

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
How old was Roo, Chido?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Jenner posted:

How old was Roo, Chido?

I think Roo was two years old. Chickam Class of 2011 (the first year I started watching).

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
I made a thing, in tribute to Roostroyer.

(Yes, perfectly playable in Arkham Horror. Not entirely sure on the balance, but what the hey...)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Vaga42Bond posted:

I made a thing, in tribute to Roostroyer.

(Yes, perfectly playable in Arkham Horror. Not entirely sure on the balance, but what the hey...)

Oh my god, you are awesome. this picture is so awesome, I just can't describe how happy it's made me. I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft and this image is the best thing ever. you are amazing :glomp:

Citizen Insane
Oct 7, 2004

So the landlady loaned me this today, published in 1928. It even has plans for a coop inside, so if I wanted to build a good old-fashioned 1928-era chicken house, well ...

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Welp, don't let me go to the feed store without a chaperone or else I'm coming home with new friends:

My brother and I have been talking about having a small flock, and I don't think our mom took us seriously. After getting her blessing to have chickens at her house until she moves and my brother will be living there full time. I went to the feed store and had this little black sex link fall asleep in my hands, melting my cranky ice cold heart. I decided on a Rhode Island Red pullet as her buddy for the time being until I can get out to the rural feed stores with more variety of pullets. I chose her because she decided that pecking at my hand was more fun than running to the corner of the pen to get away from me. I'm still trying to get the perfect brooder setup, but the ladies seem to be moving around and doing the usual chick stuff.

We're going to get one or two more in the next week or so, and my brother is interested in raising a couple of meat birds. I'm a vegetarian but hey, if he can handle it, I'd rather an omnivore eat something that they raised and knew exactly what went into their bodies and that they were treated with respect and love instead of the hell that is conventional farming. I'm hoping for a Barred Rock and a Polish as the two others, but we'll just have to see what I can find.

In the next couple of weeks, we'll be designing a coop and run for them. In a few years, my bro hopes to start farming on our family's farmland so this is just the beginning.

So, these are my currently unnamed adorable shitmachines:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

AWWWWWWWW chickie cuteness. Congratulations, you will now suffer from Morehens Disease and Chickenmath!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Love all the fresh victims of chicken love here lately. :keke:

pookers, the first night without a light the chicks will peep endlessly and heartbreakingly. As long as they are sufficiently feathered and in a warm, draft-free place, you just have to grit your teeth and suffer though it, it's like having a new puppy cry all night. As long as you are sure they are OK, don't go out to them, turn on a light or reward the peeping, if you do they'll just do it louder the minute you walk away. Baby roos are especially whiney & clingy little horrors, especially if they've bonded to you, God help you. They'll be OK and have to go through that first dark night eventually. They'll do it again at dusk the first night or two in the coop, so be ready for more plaintive wailing then. Chickens love drama. :byodame:

Chido posted:

Got an email with the preliminary results from Roo's necropsy. I don't quite understand what this means, but it seems Roo had a mass attached near the colon besides cocci:

L a b o r a t o r y F i n d i n g s / D i a g n o s i s

History of pain when defecating, lethargy and breathing problem, with:
- Impaction and Intestinal obstruction by intraluminal mass (colon).
Pending:
- Salmonella PCR
- AI PCR
- Parasitology
- Histology

C a s e S u m m a r y

The main gross findings in this bird were blockage of the terminal colon by intraluminal mass which resulted of in impaction ofthe colon and ceca. The cramps/straining manifested during defecating was probably related to the intestinal obstruction bythe mass. Histology may reveal more information on the nature of the mass. We will be screening for Salmonella, parasitestest for AI by PCR as part of the routine surveillance program. Results shall be sent out as they become available.

C l i n i c a l H i s t o r y

Diarrhea, crampts, pain when pooping, lethargic, problems breathing. One chicken (hen) died two weeks ago. It had similar symptoms. No change in feeding. Bird went to vet and treated.

G r o s s O b s e r v a t i o n s

Necropsy of a 3.5 Kg white and black Brahma rooster began at 10:00 am on 5-3-2013.
The carcass was in good flesh and there was adequate fat reserve. The tissues were in good state of postmortem decomposition. The crop and gizzard were full of feed. The proximal small intestines contained watery thin fluid. The ceca and colon were distended with fecal matter as the result of blockage of the lumen of the terminal colon by a moderately firm, oval
shaped grey/white mass (2.5 x 1 cm size) that was firmly attached to the wall. No other gross abnormalities were noted in this bird.

B a c t e r i o l o g y

Test Specific Comments

Salmonella PCR and Confirmation Culture

CAHFS Preliminary Version 1 Accession # S1303500 May 05, 2013
There is a greater than 90% correlation between Salmonella culture and PCR test results. Cases in which thePCR result is positive but an isolate isn’t recovered may be due to low numbers of organisms, competition with other bacteria (particularly Proteus), or non-viable Salmonella in the sample. PCR is a very good tool for ruling
out Salmonella negative samples with a rapid turnaround time.

It sounds like the growth killed him, the cocci and other issues just helped weaken him. :( There's no way you could have done anything about this and it wasn't caused by anything you did. Years ago my old vet told me that chickens are susceptible to something like 300+ types of growths/tumors/cancers. No way to predict when and where or which bird it will strike. One of my first hens had ovarian cancer, when he opened her up for surgery he just closed her right up again, he told me she was 'all eaten up inside'. He never even woke her up from anesthesia, he just went ahead (with my blessing) and deepened it until she was gone. :( I've since had other birds manifest various growths, so yeah, it's a problem. Just really sorry it happened to Roo.

At least he went fairly quick and had a good weight & fat stores, you were obviously doing everything right.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

On rare occasions, the tactical world and chicken world collide. Totally getting this whenever I make another gear order. (From here: http://www.optactical.com/msmrooutpa.html )

All this talk of chicken diseases had me get a little worried when I saw one of the hens had the runs, since I'm a newbie at this. I looked around online and hoooly crap it is just like trying to look up a human disease. Everything from "oh probably just something she ate, also chickens sometimes have watery poo to cycle heat out of their bodies" to "IT'S AN INCURABLE INFECTIOUS DISEASE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO PUT YOUR WHOLE FLOCK DOWN." Spent quite a while all :ohdear:

After some more observation though, that hen doesn't seem to have any other odd behaviors or anything. Gonna keep monitoring, but hopefully she's okay.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

The Rat posted:

On rare occasions, the tactical world and chicken world collide. Totally getting this whenever I make another gear order. (From here: http://www.optactical.com/msmrooutpa.html )

All this talk of chicken diseases had me get a little worried when I saw one of the hens had the runs, since I'm a newbie at this. I looked around online and hoooly crap it is just like trying to look up a human disease. Everything from "oh probably just something she ate, also chickens sometimes have watery poo to cycle heat out of their bodies" to "IT'S AN INCURABLE INFECTIOUS DISEASE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO PUT YOUR WHOLE FLOCK DOWN." Spent quite a while all :ohdear:

After some more observation though, that hen doesn't seem to have any other odd behaviors or anything. Gonna keep monitoring, but hopefully she's okay.

I... I need one of those patches NOW.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

The Rat posted:

Yeah, there's an awful lot of different shapes, sizes, colours and smells that come out of a chicken that are perfectly normal, see this thread for *graphic* photos.

One of our ex-batts, Boo, is currently under the weather. She (and her nest sisters) have been with us 16 months now. She still laying most days (good egg & shell too), including this morning, but she's been quieter than usual, producing watery poop (bum feathers are matted). Everyone else is out in the garden where she would normally be, but she's been found sitting back in the nest when my other half checked just now. This is not like her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN
Thanks for all the love for Inara, you guys. I sort of dropped off the face of the earth for a while there after she died; A friend is going to ship me some Dermestid beetles and once I get them, I'm going to autopsy her and then let them have at. My ultimate goal is to clean and mount her skeleton, along with one of her blown-out eggs. It's definitely weird, but I feel this is the best way to honour her - I'm renting right now so burial isn't really an option.

Chido: Oh god, I'm heartbroken for you about Roo and Baba. :( I'm actually mourning Roo. Be proud that you did everything in your power to help them out, and the fact that you helped Roo become an internet celebrity!

Spooky: Is it possible Boo's just being broody? One of my girls is acting much the same way and she's learning how to be a momma (She's only a year old so is definitely in the practice stages right now). She hangs out in the nest box from sunup to around 2pm daily, nice and sedentary and quiet, while the other gals pitch uproarious fits because they NEED all FOUR nest boxes empty AT ALL TIMES in order to lay. Princesses.

VS: I'm so sorry about Boots! I'm glad she lived to a ripe old age. She was one cute little puffball :3:

Why is it always the favourites that go? :sigh:

Muffy_the_Diver fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 8, 2013