Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

DJJustice posted:

I'd really love a legit good sci-fi/fantasy writer to take on the Star Wars universe (other than Zahn, who seems to be the best). Just endless piles of near fan-fiction level stories out there.

There's Matthew Stover, who's probably the best author to ever work in the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DJJustice posted:

I'd really love a legit good sci-fi/fantasy writer to take on the Star Wars universe (other than Zahn, who seems to be the best). Just endless piles of near fan-fiction level stories out there.

I think Stover, even moreso than Zahn, is probably the best example currently of a legit quality genre writer who does Star Wars. Although I know the authors of Leviathan Wakes are doing a Han novel next year, which I think has the potential to be very good.

On the other hand there's the example of Greg Bear, who I think is an extremely good sci-fi author, but his sole SW work (Rogue Planet) showed that he just didn't really grasp the essence of Star Wars.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Happy Star Wars day goons :toot:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Years ago today, bugnest orgies were but a twinkle in His eye

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

astr0man posted:

Happy Star Wars day goons :toot:

Bah, I've always celebrated the true Star Wars day on May 25th. "May the 4th be with you" is commercialized junk to me.

But cheers to anyone doing fun Star Wars-y things today

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I gotta agree on the 4th/25th thing. Ill roll with it though, a lil cutie that has my attention texted me a happy star wars day so. The 4th it is!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our local Minor League team had the local 501st out for a Sci-Fi themed May the 4th baseball game. They're providing the imperial costumes for our William Shakespeare's Star Wars book trailer so I went out to meet them...it was great fun and the kids were going NUTS over all the Star Wars characters everywhere. They would do sci-fi trivia questions throughout the game and you had to run and find Vader and give the correct answer and you won a prize pack. It was a really good time!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
That sounds absolutely amazing. I unfortunately have never seen the 501st in real life. I even lived in Indianapolis for like 10 years and never made it to a Celebration :smith:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

DJJustice posted:

Are there ANY EU books that have managed to write Han as an interesting, nuanced character? It seems like all he wants to do is take Leia on a vacation, and harp about the stresses of politics. He's the most neutered, bland, uninteresting smuggler/pirate/hero/general ever. Why is a character like that so hard to write for?

He's definitely written better pre-marriage I think, where neither of those things apply. The original Han Solo trilogy (can't remember the last two, but first one was "Han Solo at Star's End" IIRC) was fun reading, or more recently I rather liked Scoundrels (AKA Zahn writes a Star Wars heist story). Dunno if they count as "nuanced" so much as Han as main protagonist (and also in his more adventurous youth) by definition gets more play time and thus more insight.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Scoundrels was pretty awesome. I just started Heir to the Empire audiobook. Pretty cool so far.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

That sounds absolutely amazing. I unfortunately have never seen the 501st in real life. I even lived in Indianapolis for like 10 years and never made it to a Celebration :smith:

If any if the EU authors do book signings near you, they usually get local 501st members to serve as an "honor guard" (read: set dressing) for the event. That's one of two places I've seen 501st people. The other was at my college's big homecoming event, since there were like 3 members that were students there plus a handful of alums.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
EA tapped to do SW Games:

http://starwars.com/news/electronic-arts-selected-for-multi-year-agreement-for-the-future-of-star-wars-gaming.html

quote:

Today it was announced that Lucasfilm Ltd. and Disney Interactive are entering into a multi-year, multi-title exclusive licensing agreement with Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) for the creation of new high quality Star Wars games spanning multiple genres for console, PC, mobile, and tablets.

Industry leaders and creators of best-in-class blockbuster games, the development and publishing teams at EA will collaborate with the creative teams at Lucasfilm to provide audiences with all-new gaming experiences set in the ever-expanding Star Wars galaxy. As part of the agreement, EA studio teams DICE(Battlefield series) and Visceral (Dead Space series) will join BioWare (Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic) in the development of new Star Wars games.

"Our number one objective was to find a developer who could consistently deliver our fans great Star Wars games for years to come," said Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm. "When we looked at the talent of the teams that EA was committing to our games and the quality of their vision for Star Wars, the choice was clear."

While EA studios will develop for the core Star Wars gaming audience, Disney Interactive will focus on delivering new Star Wars games for casual audiences on mobile, social, tablet, and online gaming platforms.

"This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come," said John Pleasants, co-president of Disney Interactive. "Collaborating with one of the world's premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to fans around the world."

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe," said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. "Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay."

More information, including titles in development, will be announced in the coming months. Continue to check StarWars.com for updates on the future of Star Wars gaming.

Makes a lot of sense, and since I like DICE and BioWare, hopefully we get some decent games out of this. I love that Disney is doing the family/silly/whatever games that I won't play anyway.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Because EA did such a great job at managing TOR that they gave them all their future business.

Why can't I just get a new TIE Fighter?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
DICE should make a Star Wars licensed Mirror's Edge. Force-aided freerunning as an old-republic era Jedi through the lower levels in Coruscant? Yes, please :allears:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Thwomp posted:

This right here.

I'd also love it if DICE could give me the experience I loved in BF2 in a Star Wars game. Of course, everyone would camp the fighters or hog the AT-AT gunner seat.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So the long awaited Battlefront 3?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Because the simulation market isn't exactly booming these days.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

But on the other hand, Euro Truck Simulator. Seriously, they should risk it. I'd buy it.

Or a Star Wars RPG set in the OT. Or Imperial or Rebel Commando.

Maybe the Star Wars Sims 3 expansion might be a good thing?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thwomp posted:

Because EA did such a great job at managing TOR that they gave them all their future business.

I understand this sentiment but I think this ranks among one of the best case scenarios.

I wish you guys hadn't brought up TIE Fighter and the like, mentioning that we likely won't ever get a game like that again is like reminding a kid that his mom died of cancer.

That being said, I've been sating my desire for simulation games by playing Artemis Bridge Simulator, though it requires 3-4 friends to be in the same room as you. It is fun as gently caress though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I would buy the gently caress out of a new TIE Fighter...and after I would install it I would realize I don't remember where I put packed up my joystick

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I would buy the gently caress out of a new TIE Fighter...and after I would install it I would realize I don't remember where I put packed up my joystick

And oh poo poo they don't use gameports anymore.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:
Don't worry guys, I'm sure there will be plenty of Star Wars mods in Star Citizen. :unsmith:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

And oh poo poo they don't use gameports anymore.

Where the gently caress am I going to plug my CH F-16 Combatstick into?!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Conquistador posted:

EA tapped to do SW Games:

http://starwars.com/news/electronic-arts-selected-for-multi-year-agreement-for-the-future-of-star-wars-gaming.html

Makes a lot of sense, and since I like DICE and BioWare, hopefully we get some decent games out of this. I love that Disney is doing the family/silly/whatever games that I won't play anyway.

Is that article implying that Bioware is working on another Star Wars game or am I just reading what I want to read?

SeanBeansShako posted:

But on the other hand, Euro Truck Simulator. Seriously, they should risk it. I'd buy it.

Or a Star Wars RPG set in the OT. Or Imperial or Rebel Commando.

Maybe the Star Wars Sims 3 expansion might be a good thing?

This please.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
New Rogue Squadron, Battlefront, or Commando game is all I want. I'm so sick of being a Jedi in every single game, unless it's Jedi Academy style combat.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
The DCS games have ruined me because I'm not sure I'll settle for any SW flight sim with anything less than maximum sperg.

Hm... EA... Maybe we'll get some Star Wars sports games! :haw:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh good, EA can make a Force Unleashed 3 for that ultimate Star Wars Dragonball Z experience. :allears:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Hm... EA... Maybe we'll get some Star Wars sports games! :haw:

Would obviously have to be blob racing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Jizz Wailer Hero.

I'm stretching I know but all the obvious ones are done :(.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
SimKillik

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
A straight up remake of Rebellion.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

api call girl posted:

A straight up remake of Rebellion.

I would play the gently caress out of that game

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No remakes, the lovely graphics is part of the charm. Although I'd love it if the game didn't have a >20% chance of crashing if you go into battle mode.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
People actually played the battle mode? Maybe it's just because I know that Homeworld exists now, but I can't stand the battle mode in Rebellion at all.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

astr0man posted:

People actually played the battle mode? Maybe it's just because I know that Homeworld exists now, but I can't stand the battle mode in Rebellion at all.

You kind of had to because letting the computer auto-resolve always meant that the huge fleet of Star Destroyers and Frigates you've amassed over the entire game will loose to Nien Nyub in a troop transport, killing Vader and the Emperor.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Rebellion is the game I'd set up a VM for.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ I think people have gotten it to work in Win7

SuperSpiff posted:

You kind of had to because letting the computer auto-resolve always meant that the huge fleet of Star Destroyers and Frigates you've amassed over the entire game will loose to Nien Nyub in a troop transport, killing Vader and the Emperor.

This is making me laugh way too hard

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They can make any game they like, but it must have '90s-style cutscenes, like in the Dark Forces series.

"I HAD THE HONOUR OF TAKING YOUR FATHER'S HEAD... AND THRUSTING ON A SPIKE FOR ALL TO SEE!"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Conquistador posted:

^^^^ I think people have gotten it to work in Win7

This is making me laugh way too hard

You think that's funny?

My friend in high school and I were wrapping up a Rebellion game on the rebel's side. Emperor is cornered. Send Luke to capture.

Luke confronts the Emperor. Unable to capture.
Luke confronts the Emperor. Luke is injured in the confrontation.

Who's the only other hero in the fleet surrounding his majesty?

Ackbar. He captured the Emperor on the first try. Not even kidding.

That may have been the last time I played Rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It took me so long before I was able to figure out how to not suck at that game. Also, when playing as an imp, that stupid noise that the droid made whenever bad poo poo happened was so grating.