Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wait, it's loving "CGI"? Did I just gloss over that fact before? Was my subconscious trying to protect me?

The Chakan movie was live action. Wonder Boy is CGI. As far as I can tell it's Morningstar's only CGI film.

The ending threatens a Wonder Boy 2 coming in 2013. If only the Mayans had been right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Random Stranger posted:

A Goblin(?) With a Trebuchet!

(The trebuchet fires rocks at a right angle to itself.)

Wh....why is it wearing a thong. :stonk:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This is the worst $15 I have ever seen a goon spend.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Wh....why is it wearing a thong. :stonk:

More importantly, is the cock and balls imagery going on in that shot purposeful?:stonk:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

The Chakan movie was live action. Wonder Boy is CGI. As far as I can tell it's Morningstar's only CGI film.

The ending threatens a Wonder Boy 2 coming in 2013. If only the Mayans had been right...

Maybe they're both blending in my mind, into a horrible amalgam of lovely video game based movies.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's a terrible Jeopardy question.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

More importantly, is the cock and balls imagery going on in that shot purposeful?:stonk:

Well, it was purposefully selected by me. However, I get the impression that Morningstar didn't really understand the imagery he was putting into some shots.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Well, it was purposefully selected by me. However, I get the impression that Morningstar didn't really understand the imagery he was putting into some shots.

The more shots you post, the more I kind of want to watch it. Just think of the drinking game potential.....

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ineffiable posted:

This is the worst $15 I have ever seen a goon spend.

I raise...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oof. Suikoden IV, Cross Edge and X-Blades are pretty bad. Shining Wisdom and Darkened Skye are good though :colbert:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oof. Suikoden IV, Cross Edge and X-Blades are pretty bad. Shining Wisdom and Darkened Skye are good though :colbert:

You're missing that Darkened Skye is the two pack version with Outlaw Golf.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Bit late on this, but I remember two game/music combos clearly:

+

And thanks to my brother

+

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I need to resist the urge to buy a SuperGrafx :tizzy:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ACID POLICE posted:

I need to resist the urge to buy a SuperGrafx :tizzy:

Give in, there's nothing better than buying an old videogame system that you never had before and then getting all the games you just read about in magazines.

And about a month or so later you wind up with over 50 games for the system.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I :h: flea market season.

All this:

plus a dozen NES sleeves for $60.

That said, I can't wait for the retro collecting bubble to burst. I've yet to find a copy of Contra that's under $30 :negative:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

WendigoJohnson posted:

Give in, there's nothing better than buying an old videogame system that you never had before and then getting all the games you just read about in magazines.

And about a month or so later you wind up with over 50 games for the system.

The SuperGrafx didn't even have ten (not counting the regular PC Engine games).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The SuperGrafx didn't even have ten (not counting the regular PC Engine games).

Then just get it so you can hold an entire console's game library IN THE PALM OF YOUR MEATY HAND.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Moai Ou posted:

I :h: flea market season.

All this:

plus a dozen NES sleeves for $60.

That said, I can't wait for the retro collecting bubble to burst. I've yet to find a copy of Contra that's under $30 :negative:

Lucky you, two weeks ago there was a giant cart of retro games, mainly for Nintendo systems, including two OoTs and a MM at one of the auctions I frequent. Alas it went for 310 dollars because of ebaying filth. I got out at 150. I mean there had to be around thirty classic games in there, so it wasn't too bad a deal, I guess, but I was livid.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

You're missing that Darkened Skye is the two pack version with Outlaw Golf.

What's wrong with that? I heard that Outlaw Golf was okay. I think? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Wasn't part of the SuperGrafx's thing that it had dual CPUs that could switch between 1~ and 7~ MHz? God drat I need to learn to program for that thing. After I learn to program the VB.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

You know, when I think of systems I'd like to try and collect every game for, it's usually portable systems that come to mind, but those tend to be the most annoying when it actually comes to storing said collection. Especially if you want to make any kind of aesthetically pleasing shelf display.

And then second place for me would be the N64, but those have their own problems unless I want to go on the universal case route.

I'm trying to figure out if that lady is wearing skintight clothes or if she's some kind of mutant with bizarre injuries.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

what are the sports games that are still fun and/or worth buying even if you're not a sports nut?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Does Downhill Domination count as a sports game?
Because that game totally counts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Totally counts as a sports game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
One of my favorite sport games is Deathrow for the Xbox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathrow_%28video_game%29

basically it's like basketball with a floating disc but you can beat the poo poo out of each other instead of playing the game, or sometimes do both at the same time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Midnight Raider posted:

I'm trying to figure out if that lady is wearing skintight clothes or if she's some kind of mutant with bizarre injuries.

The real answer is that they aren't even unique models. They're old poser models with the hair and clothes from a standard downloaded pack. The clothes are all textures, however the neck and head is entirely detached from the body. While that is normal(you never really want the head and neck to be directly connected to the body because it will cause way too many calculations when the mouth moves while rendering), they didn't do a good job of making sure there was no seam present.

Also does anyone know of a site that provides entire written dialogue scripts for ye olden Japanese games with heavy text? I want something on paper so I know what the hell they're saying rather than some jerk on gamefaqs paraphrasing everything.

One of these days I'm going to beat all those Visual Novel Adventure games for the Saturn and I want to be able to understand just what horrors I am witnessing.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 4, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

There were more Super Dodgeball games!? I need these, badly.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Should I be worried that Surugaya-a-too hasn't contacted me about shipping? I ordered a GB Player and a game on the 30th, still no word nor bill :ohdear:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Tusen Takk posted:

Should I be worried that Surugaya-a-too hasn't contacted me about shipping? I ordered a GB Player and a game on the 30th, still no word nor bill :ohdear:

Golden Week just ended. I'm guessing they were more or less closed for the past week.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

They routinely take more than a week to answer, plus it's Golden Week right now. I'd be surprised if they work at all, most businesses close down for the whole week traditionally.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I know diddly squat about Japanese culture :newlol: Good to know though, cheers.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Neo*Geo one is fuckin' rad. The Japanese title also directly translates as HOT BLOODED DODGEBALL LEGEND.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

It's alliiivveee! Last night my SNES wouldn't power on. It's been a seriously lovely week and my working consoles count is dropping rapidly. All I wanted to do was power up F-Zero and have a play for a while. I powered it on and all it did was flicker. Tonight I cracked the shits with it and jammed the cart in. Suddenly blank black screen and the game sprang to life. It's made a lovely week a little bit better. My original controller's D-Pad ended up not working, and my HoneyBee's turbo buttons are stuck on, but the Super Advantage is still super sensitive and worked great. Yoshi's Island didn't work either, but I think that's probably for the best since I'd most likely put the cart through the TV.

Also, Orange Cat. :3:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The Neo*Geo one is fuckin' rad. The Japanese title also directly translates as HOT BLOODED DODGEBALL LEGEND.

The GBA version was loving awesome too

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If you get into an awful games fight with me, you're going to lose:

And that's what was handy. I haven't even started digging yet.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

fatpat268 posted:

Yup. I felt the exact same way about that mod. Not only is it next to impossible to get dust or scratches on that light screen, the end product just didn't look that good. A lot of people seem to like the end result of a frontlit gbc, but I think it just looks like rear end.

Between the fact that its sideways, making the light spread in a weird way, and the fact that the tutorial I did recommended feeling the light layer for which side went up instead of :siren:don't loving touch the light screen you cannot clean it with a microfiber cloth and its basically ruined forever if you lay a grubby finger on it:siren: didn't really help. Oh well, good practice. Maybe I'm ready to look at Svideo for my SNES Jr and A/V for my top loading NES now.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Took a trip to Yongsan today, had a camera phone this time. Here's some pictures.

Yongsan station itself. Yongsan is the tech district of Seoul I guess. Think Akhihabara but Korean and a lot crappier. That's true for a lot of Japan to Korea comparisons honestly.

on the way to the actual Yongsan electronics market theres a bunch of computer, science and videogame history plaques at the entrance.

one of the shops in the videogame area.

same deal. I mostly go for the Famicom stuff, but theres shops selling pretty much everything. Lots of those Trinitons or whatever lying around too. I wanted to get more pictures of the shops, but for some reason they have a strict no camera thing going on. No clue why, but I had to be kinda sneaky taking these.

and my haul for the day. A Super Famicom in the box, great condition (NOT super comboy. I was actually kinda pissed because the sfc was a little tricky to find, everyone just had those loving comboys.) Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3, and FF3. Total was around 100,000₩.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

There are a whole bunch of 'em, as well as soccer, basketball, athletics, etc. They're part of the "Kunio-kun" universe which also includes games like River City Ransom and Renegade.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I want a Super Comboy :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a recommended service for buying from taobao? I remember using obook last year - was going to get some of that gba backlight stuff.

• Locked thread