Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

atroquinine posted:

Sorry, the only reason I'm using these different names is because we genuinely thought of these spirits as real, separate people who took over the bodies or ... whatever.

Silver: 18, male, Prince Endymion/Tuxedo Mask. Also Heero/Kunzite/Tidus/Stan.
Bunny: 17, female, Princess Serenity/Sailor Moon. Also Yuna.
Me: 14, female, Jupiter. Also Rikku/Rosalyn.
Mars: 19, male, Mars.
Ryan: 17-18?, male, Pluto.
Matt: 18-19?, male, not involved in the crazy, just a creepy weirdo.
It's cool, I was just confused because I think you mentioned that Bunny was meant to be cosplaying as Sailor Moon, and referred to them as 'He'.

I immediately pictured this.

Also, there is something legitimately disturbing about people in their late teens who hang around 14 year old girls and try and convince them that there is some kind of supernatural romantic link between them.

Rohaq fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Spock
Feb 16, 2011

Everybody have a logical time

Cythereal posted:

If there's anything more I can say for this thread, it's for the well-intentioned people who tried to befriend people like this and tried to bring them down to earth:

Don't stop. While some people like this are genuinely mentally ill, like I suspect Denise from the OP is, just as many if not more are simply bright, creative kids who construct fictional worlds and find them safer or more compelling than the real world they live in. Sometimes it's the result of broken homes. Sometimes it's simply a kid who hits the geeky phase well ahead of their peers - I, for example, was crazy about Star Trek and science fiction at an age when most of my peers were still reading children's fairy tales. What brought me, and a number of other people, out of that dangerous disconnected phase was people like you. People who aren't just bullies of a more manipulative bent seeking to "befriend" outcasts still growing up. People who don't latch onto those fantastical worlds and start a devastating feedback loop. If I hadn't met Sam and Sandra and Courtney and the rest of a really good group of people in high school, there's no telling if I would have made it out of that imaginary trap.

Many of the kids who do this find refuge in their fictional worlds not even because their home sucks, but because they simply find these worlds more interesting than the real world before them. Escapism is one thing. Entirely forsaking reality for fantasy is another. I can attest that while parents and adults can help, having genuine friends their own age who aren't malicious and yet are willing to draw them back into real life is probably the greatest boon of all at that age. It's an age when many kids are confused or downright hosed up. This is one of the ways for that to happen.

So for those who have dragged people like this back into reality, thank you.

For those who tried but did not succeed, thank you for being willing to try.

Late to the party, I know, but I just wanted to chime in to say thanks for posting all this. I, too, was that girl, and the only thing that's stopping me from sharing some truly hilarious stories is the fact that some pretty horrible things happened to me at school as a result of my social awkwardness and obsession with Star Trek. I don't really want to relive that time, and I don't want to run the risk of someone identifying me. I'd rather just leave the whole thing behind.

I really wish I'd had someone to drag me into reality back then. But I think, like some of you, my obsessions gave me strength at the worst of times.

Anyway, to add a small amount of content: if nobody here has mentioned the weebstories tumblr yet, go forth and fill your boots. I highly recommend the chilling tale of the Hetalia-obsessed exchange student who was most certainly some kind of paedophile. Prepare to spend the rest of your evening making this face: :stare:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Party Spock posted:

Late to the party, I know, but I just wanted to chime in to say thanks for posting all this. I, too, was that girl, and the only thing that's stopping me from sharing some truly hilarious stories is the fact that some pretty horrible things happened to me at school as a result of my social awkwardness and obsession with Star Trek. I don't really want to relive that time, and I don't want to run the risk of someone identifying me. I'd rather just leave the whole thing behind.

I really wish I'd had someone to drag me into reality back then. But I think, like some of you, my obsessions gave me strength at the worst of times.

Anyway, to add a small amount of content: if nobody here has mentioned the weebstories tumblr yet, go forth and fill your boots. I highly recommend the chilling tale of the Hetalia-obsessed exchange student who was most certainly some kind of paedophile. Prepare to spend the rest of your evening making this face: :stare:

There's nothing to be ashamed of; you are now a PARTY Spock, which means everyone loves you! Have an illogically good time!

(I'm not making fun of you, btw, I'm trying to make you laugh :unsmith:)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I am deeply amused that their is a evil overlord character called Stan.

Okage: Shadow King is actually a pretty cool casual rpg too.

atroquinine
Apr 27, 2013

TunaSpleen posted:

If Silver had something of that quality he'd be a dipshit for whacking a ~$400 sword around recklessly aside from being a total whackjob.

Silver was really reckless with everything he owned. I regretted lending him my copy of Okage. He even covered the dashboard of his car in Yu-gi-oh stickers, and one time he'd punched a huge dent in the car body. He didn't understand the value of money whatsoever.

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I am deeply amused that their is a evil overlord character called Stan.

Okage is a really tongue-in-cheek game, it's really more of a satire of (J)RPGs than anything else. I'm sure the name "Stan" was chosen deliberately because it's not a very fear-inspiring Great Evil King name. One of the reasons why Okage is great.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I know absolutely nothing about the show besides what I looked up just now on the wiki, but why in the hell would someone voluntarily pick to be Sailor Pluto? It seems like the character that would be like your older siblings forcing you to pick the iron in Monopoly. But there's only four sailors, so that means he must have voluntarily picked her. I realize this is a weird thing to pick up on admist the crazy.

I don't think Ryan got a choice, although why Silver/Bunny settled on "Pluto" for him, I don't know. That was before my time, and nobody's unfortunately public online journals from that time mention how they met. Ryan did have this sort of quiet presence about him (but do I feel that way because I knew he was Pluto or would I have thought that about him even if that hadn't been a thing? It's hard to say). I certainly would have preferred to be Venus or Neptune over Jupiter. But I guess when you're trying to convince people that they really did have a past life as this planetary ruler and guardian of the Moon Princess that you can't really be like "by the way which one do you want to be" without kind of breaking the illusion that this is totally real guys, and Silver and Bunny already totally remember it and you!

Rohaq posted:

It's cool, I was just confused because I think you mentioned that Bunny was meant to be cosplaying as Sailor Moon, and referred to them as 'He'. [...]

Also, there is something legitimately disturbing about people in their late teens who hang around 14 year old girls and try and convince them that there is some kind of supernatural romantic link between them.

Oh, I'll have to go back and find that and fix it. Awkward. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah. My parents were also unamused by me hanging out with people who were much older than me. As a kid I always got along better with people older than me, too, but yeah, this was disturbing.

My boyfriend at the time was also four years older than me. I was 14 and he was 18. It would be nice to bleach him out of my head, but he wasn't at all involved in the Crazy (besides that fact that Silver met him once at the con and decided my boyfriend was so creepy he didn't even want to be around him, apparently).

Still a little more Sailor Moon Insanity Story Time to go, I'll get cracking on it here in a bit.

edit: But until then, here's a really great thing Silver shared on his Facebook wall the other day. Writing all this made me a little nostalgic to see if he had any online presence. Found his wall, he's one of those idiots who leaves everything public. He has quite a few notes rambling about evil, his light and dark sides, and an extremely long note about vampirism I couldn't even get through - so this many years later, rest assured, Silver is still loving nuts. Made me feel even less bad about telling all of this, that's for sure.

atroquinine fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 2, 2013

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Oh god I hate that picture, every time one of my friends posts it it's always the ones trying to be wacky or quirky as a character trait. Although now I'm going to have to second guess the people that have, just in case they're secretly as bonkers as Silver.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Everyone's reality is different, nimbuses!! That's the whole reason for the concept of subjectivity!!

"Other people" are not some monolithic sheeple Borg group, and being different and unique makes you VERY VERY NORMAL.

*sigh* Sorry. Uh... I stared into the abyss and saw my own 13 year old self reflected back :smith:

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Oh hello Cheshire Cat! I was wondering when he'd show up. Alice in Wonderland always had massive appeal to Kry, so I've always associated it a little with spirit-side and its ilk. Of course for me that was reinforced by Kry who empathised with Alice soooooooo deeply that she became convinced that the plot line from American McGee's Alice: Madness Returns was happening to her. Spoilered for those not wanting to have the game ruined for them: At the end of the game it's revealed that Alice's psychiatrist is trying to turn her into a prostitute

In fact she began to believe one of the people helping her recover was doing this to her, which lead to around 3 weeks of panic and trying to break his grip on Kry and her head mates so she could leave. Because of course, just saying I'm not comfortable around you any more and want to move on is too hard for some people. This was one of two times when Kry decided she wanted rid of someone and made up a drama that only I knew about as a reason to get rid of them. Of course since they were involved in Spirit-Side they couldn't just go "What the gently caress are you smoking? Are you high?" No, they had to play along in case Kry threw a fit about everyone thinking she was crazy.

And she totally wasn't crazy... god no, what would give you that impression?

Unfortunately the stories I could tell requires far to much back story and context to get the full impact, plus I need to figure out how to do that without linking back to any of them... Man I need to start a list of fake names for all of them. But I'll see what I can do about this one...

The Teacher in Black

So Kry had a thing. Back when I first got involved and she felt she wasn't getting enough... "attention" from her victimshelpers, she would go and seek control. Which took the form of bdsm inspired hypnotism sex roleplay! Charming. The Teacher was one of these conquests who stuck around to help her. He was with Kry before I got involved and at any minor problem he would use 'hypnotism' to bury her stress or fears. Often these were being brought up later when Kry felt she needed some more attention. For all the faults with his methods, he was trying to help her. Unlike me though he didn't dedicate his life to helping her. He was the smart one. Which is probably why he had to go :sigh:

Now, The Teacher didn't want his methods being watched, because for the most part they were fairly intimate. They had met through sex roleplay websites, which probably coloured the interactions. However I was kept up to date with all their interactions by Kry because... jealously I guess? gently caress knows! I'm fairly certain it was to cultivate dislike and to make sure I was constantly protective of her. In the past her helpers had apparently tried to hypnotise her to believe they were her husband-to-be. That's another story for another time though. But the point is, despite his help, I was made to feel like I couldn't trust him.

So one day, me and Kry are talking. That was a thing we used to do that was, talk. No crazy shenanigans, no bullshit. Just two people talking like friends. God whatever happened to that... Anyway, she brings up Alice: Madness Returns, mentioning that she felt strangely connected to Alice because The Teacher does stuff like that one character does to her. Now I had mentioned several times before that if she wanted to leave him, just leave him. It shouldn't be that hard, just say "thank you for your help, I'm ready to move on" and go. But no, when you're with Kry, there's plot you gotta wrap up before you can ship out. This plot was The Teacher's influence in Kry. The representation of the control he had over her, it took the form of black goop if I remember (Because we're totally not just stealing the plot of the game! :ssh:) I was tasked to beat this influence, free her, then let her get on her way.

But there's a twist. Get this.

If I wasn't careful enough, Kry was going to tell The Teacher what I was doing "Because the Influence would make me"

You can't be serious...

But she was!

Why didn't you just run then?

Because I'm an idiot. I got around to it eventually though.

Yeah, two years too late.

Man I gotta stop talking to myself. Anyway, the next few weeks involved me doing in depth roleplay of kidnapping the various head mates in Kry's head that The Teacher looked after and brain washing them so they wouldn't try to warn him or go back to him once this was over.

One of these was a five year old child who thought of him as her father.

I'm sorry, I must have gotten confused, I thought I was a good guy. Apparently I've been evil all this time. c'est la vie

So I do the dirty deed, try to make sure I put the various people I 'rescue' with folks that I know will protect them and give them good lives. In case you're wondering, the five year old went to the Jailer, one of my head mates who treated her like his own daughter. Which as far as she knew, she was. Like gently caress I was letting something like that happen again to her

Disclaimer: You cannot stop Kry from doing something like that again to any of her head mates. :suicide:

Now at the same time, Kry's head mates were all tip-toeing around trying not to alert The Teacher and of course, acting in THE MOST SUSPICIOUS WAY POSSIBLE. PLOTTING AGAINST YOU? WHAT GAVE YOU THAT IDEA? Thankfully at the time, The Teacher was doing some kind of exam and had sensibly decided to leave spirit-side for a while to revise and pass the test. (See? Smart) This gave us the opening to tackle the biggest obstacle. Carrion, The Teacher's assistant and sex slave in Kry's head. Cause you can never just have a normal relationship can you? Carrion didn't want to go down without a fight, and was very loyal to The Teacher. She proceeded to kick seven kinds of poo poo out of me ON THE ASTRAL PLAIN OF COMBAT till I eventually cheated and stopped time to go and get something to eat and then just never started it back up again. Why I didn't do this to more of the problems, I don't know because it was surprisingly affective... It took about four days to wear Carrion down till she was apparently on our side. Things were looking up, I could relax a little again, having dealt with that problem, things were going well again. When The Teacher came back, Kry could tell him she was going without any "Influence" stopping her.

'Course I forgot the over riding theme of Spirit-Side, which is: Make John loving Miserable.

A day after we'd sorted this all out, Carrion reimerges and steals Kry's body, saying that she'd only pretended to be convinced by our reasoning and that if The Teacher couldn't have Kry. Then no one could. She then terminated the conversation and I didn't see them for two days. Now Kry has a history of suicide, and since she's about as nutty as a walnut cake I was about 60% certain that if one of her head mates wanted to kill her, she'd go through with it. So for two days I sat, and sent e-mails, instant messages, PMs and even a text or two. I heard nothing. So I panicked and worried. Just as I imagine she'd wanted me to. When Kry came back (Because of course she would) I was so relieved that I didn't press her for any more information on how she'd gotten free of Carrion.

She left The Teacher and only occasionally looked back enough to make me worried she would put me through all this again. But no, instead she just decided we needed to go commit genocide on the fae.

Like you do. :v:

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Like you do. :v:

:magical:

I'm so glad you're not involved in that anymore.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Devious Vacuum posted:

The guy I danced with at prom was named Joey, and I had a crush on and also went on an awkward date with him, and considering who I have dated since then, he was actually one of the most decent guys I've ever had a crush on. He had pretty blue eyes like I imagined Lestat to have. We graduated from high school before anything really happened between us. He was definitely a "project" too, though. Do y'all think your fictional crushes as teens have affected your preferences in partners now? Maybe I just want something else to blame it on, but I think that Lestat is responsible for me ending up dating a lot of very pretty, selfish douchebags. Okay, maybe especially I am referring to my most recent ex, who was almost literally Lestat as I imagined him, but I will tell that story in the next entry.

I know this is from 10 pages back, but I've just spent the last month reading this entire thread so, yeah.

I'm fairly certain this is what happened with me; I loved my bishounen yaoi when I was a teen, and read tons of Anne Rice too.
My first serious relationship was with a tall, thin guy with long hair (and piercings).
But then I actually grew up as I left my teens and discovered I liked sensible looking men (my now husband is a bit taller than me, well built and muscled ::3: )

I have actual content to contribute when I finish the thread, too.

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010
I'm 5000 posts behind on this thread and I really just want to know, how is this thread this long? Has this poor girl had to write out a minute by minute narration of her entire life by now?

Please help me understand.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Daisyvondoom posted:

I'm 5000 posts behind on this thread and I really just want to know, how is this thread this long? Has this poor girl had to write out a minute by minute narration of her entire life by now?

Looooooooots of people have known (or been) a crazy person obsessed with anime, and have been sharing. This is UglyNoodle's thread, but she's been graciously letting everyone tell their tale. Also, drawings.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Daisyvondoom posted:

I'm 5000 posts behind on this thread

Well, there's the heart of the issue.

tl;dr, multiple contributors in the thread, psychoanalysis of stories, soulbonding!, internet power trippers!, bronies!, and other things.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Namenlos posted:

I know this is from 10 pages back, but I've just spent the last month reading this entire thread so, yeah.

I'm fairly certain this is what happened with me; I loved my bishounen yaoi when I was a teen, and read tons of Anne Rice too.
My first serious relationship was with a tall, thin guy with long hair (and piercings).
But then I actually grew up as I left my teens and discovered I liked sensible looking men (my now husband is a bit taller than me, well built and muscled ::3: )

I have actual content to contribute when I finish the thread, too.

Oh, I didn't see that question either.

I think my fictional crushes determined what I was looking for when I sought out real life crushes... but my actual boyfriends have been drastically different to each other and bore no resemblance to anime crap or whatever. I honestly don't think I'd have made any different relationship choices if I hadn't had the fictional crush thing going on.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Daisyvondoom posted:

Don't think, just post just read.

atroquinine
Apr 27, 2013
Here's the last of it.

It was May 2004, the end of my sophomore year of high school. Over time, I saw less and less of Silver and Bunny. Silver moved out of Mars' house and somehow Bunny got her parents to agree to letting him move in there. I've heard horror stories about how this went but they're not my stories to tell. Although one time apparently Bunny was away for the day at school or work, leaving Silver to his own devices at home. He spent the day completely destroying their room with his sword, even plunging the sword into their (futon) bed. (I got to see the mattress and its poor sword-wound for myself a while later.) He then went to go pick up Bunny from work/school, and when they got home, acted just as shocked and upset as she was to see the damage that had been done. He claimed it was Clarice having sent shadow ninjas or something after him, and if he had been there when it had happened, he would have been killed.

I spent most of my time increasingly with Mars instead. Silver and Bunny were playing the part of Cutest Couple in the Moon Kingdom, which kind of didn't leave a lot of room for us, so we ended up hanging out together. It helped that Mars got interested in One Piece so I finally had somebody to slog through 200 episodes with. (The fact that One Piece is still ongoing even now makes me want to cry tears of blood sometimes. I mostly haven't touched it since Water 7.)

I mentioned previously that my parents were unamused with my hanging out with people 3-5 years older than me. That would probably be a minimization of how they felt. Even in my high school, my friends had mostly been juniors or seniors when I was a freshman. My mom was also a complete snob who didn't like me hanging out with people who were "lower class" than our family, which Mars definitely was. Mars's mom was a single mom who struggled for everything they had, whereas my mother has probably never known the meaning of the word struggle. It was a sad and disgusting situation all around. Normal parents would tell their kid to stop hanging out with people they didn't like, especially considering I didn't have a car and couldn't drive. My parents decided to move 1500 miles away. (There were a few other reasons for the move of course, but my parents didn't know about the crazy at all. I don't think they ever even met Silver.)

As you can imagine, it's hard to go into a new high school starting your Junior year 1500 miles away from anything you thought you knew, in a small Southern town where most of the kids living there have never left that county. I couldn't make any friends at all. No one shared my interests at all. I joined the choir and made a few "choir friends", but they weren't close, and I still felt close to my home-state friends anyway. Silver and Bunny wanted me to look into legally emancipating myself and moving back to Colorado, but it was hard to find any information on it. So instead we kept a pretty intense phone presence with each other, even when I had three jobs on top of school, choir, and taking care of my two younger siblings. It was exhausting. I stayed up all night more than once dealing with drama over the phone.

A few nights before New Year's Eve in 2005 is when it all came to a head, though.

It was late - probably around midnight or 1 AM. Silver was working at McDonald's, and Bunny's parents are involved in motorcycle clubs/"gangs" (whatever you want to call them) so they were gone pretty frequently and not there that night. Bunny, Mars, and I were on a three-way call, probably talking about Bunny's new big thing (Fullmetal Alchemist, which I just couldn't get into, too boring for me) or something, I honestly can't remember what we were talking about that night. Bunny was on a corded phone that was sitting on a side table next to the couch, in the living room directly upstairs from the front door. She must have heard the door opening or Silver's car pulling into the parking lot, because she told us, "Hang on, Silver's home, I'm going to go say hi" and set the phone down. This was pretty normal, so Mars and I just kept talking to each other off and on... but it was quiet for a very long time.

I don't know if I would have been able to hear voices if I had been straining my ears or if we had been listening instead of talking. I thought Bunny was gone for a while but it didn't seem like a big deal until we suddenly heard screaming. It was horrible, terrible screaming like I've never heard anywhere before.

It was quiet for a little while. It probably wasn't that long. Mars and I were both freaking out. Suddenly, Silver picked up the phone. I will never forget the cold, detached way he spoke. He said, very calmly, "She can't come to the phone right now. She's covered in blood." And then he hung up.

Even trying to think back to that moment now it feels surreal and far away, but at the same time, so real it makes me feel sick. Mars and I were still connected and the panicking got turned into high gear. Neither of us took a moment to be surprised - I started urging Mars to please, please call the police - I was four states away and I didn't know Bunny's address, but Mars couldn't figure out what to do, too scared that if Silver heard the sirens from sending the cops, he would flip out and kill Bunny. Looking back I'm pretty mad we didn't call the police, but it is what it is - I certainly wanted us to.

This is where Silver's jealousy made its final comeback. Apparently, Silver had been sending Bunny emails from dummy accounts soliciting or coming on to her - Bunny later told me she hardly even remembered the emails except that they looked like spam and so she'd deleted them without a thought. Since Bunny hadn't replied to the emails telling the sender to gently caress off or told Silver about the solicitations, Silver had made the "logical" assumption that this meant Bunny was cheating on him, and he attacked her. He chased Bunny through the house. Bunny tried to get away, running down the stairs and towards the door, but Silver was faster than her and he caught her, grabbed her head, and slammed it into the key rack mounted on the wall. Right into the metal hooks. I know she also had taken pictures of bruises on her body, including around her neck, so he also had beaten her pretty badly, too, and attempted to strangle her.

I don't really know how that situation calmed down or what happened after we were hung up on - Bunny has always been tight-lipped about it and I got a very vague overview. I know at one point she was locked in a bathroom trying to make the huge gash across her forehead and eyebrow stop bleeding, and that to this day she has a large scar down her eyebrow. I would imagine that Silver probably stopped himself before he killed her and told her it was someone else that had taken control of him and how sorry he was and on and on and on. Bunny probably had to go clean up her own blood as best as she could before her parents could get home the next day. I imagine Silver ended up sitting in front of the TV and forgetting about the entire thing.

It wasn't easy to get Bunny out, she was under Silver's watchful eye. Luckily, she'd already made plans to spend New Year's Eve with Mars, and went over there while Silver was at work. Late that night, he came to get her, and showed up at the front door with his sword in hand. Mars took Bunny to the bathroom, shut the door, and sat in front of it - when Bunny realized Silver was outside, she tried desperately to get out. Meanwhile, Mars' mom called the police.

I can't imagine what the cops thought when they arrived to find a guy carrying a long, medieval sword. Silver was taken into custody, but he didn't spend long in jail - his parents bailed him out.

The next few days after I heard Silver try to kill Bunny over the phone, I was a complete wreck. Even 1500 miles away, I would "see" Silver out of the corner of my eye, standing outside of my school was I walked in. It was nerve-wracking. I can't even imagine how Bunny felt.

Bunny didn't want to press charges, but the state presses them whether the victim wants to or not. Bunny and Mars had to give statements, attend the trial, and afterwards, Silver's mother took Bunny aside and told her they should try to get back together. Part of the trial was that Silver had a restraining order out on him, had to do community service, go the therapy, and he is no longer allowed to own weapons. Bunny couldn't handle living in her parents' house where she was attacked anymore and moved in with Mars.

Since I was pretty far away, Silver thought maybe distance would make me on his side. He frequently signed on to MSN messenger and would message me afterwards - I tried to keep my answers short and noncommittal, and eventually, he stopped.

The restraining order lasted for one year. The day after it ended, Silver drove up to Mars' mom's house and left a letter for Bunny in the mailbox. It was full of more of his insane distorted bullshit. The contents of the letter were less disturbing than the fact that the letter had been delivered at all. There was no stamp and postage, meaning Silver had delivered it himself.

Eventually, I moved back in state and Bunny, Mars, and I got an apartment on our own, but Bunny was never the same after what happened, and we lived with her for only five months before I was forced to kick her out. (We also had a fourth roommate who refused to shower or wear deodorant and had an obsession with animal fur skins - she smelled so awful the cat thought her bed was a litter box. She had her own unfortunate anime-inspired bat-shittery I won't get into.)

To this day Silver still has an influence on me, although it's much smaller than it was before. Mars and I make a lot of jokes about him and the poo poo he believed, but the things he did still get to us, and I know it's all a big scar for Bunny, too. We joke a lot whenever a new movie or show or game comes out about what it would have been like if it had come out then and Silver had gotten his hands on it - fighting invisible Bioshock splicers while trying to find some way to get Silver some EVE before he inevitably died or something - but a lot of stuff is somehow hard to look at anymore because of him, too. Last year Mars and I decided to try to watch through Sailor Moon again, and I thought of the whole thing as a sort of healing, but we quit pretty quickly (maybe fifteen episodes in). I don't watch much new anime but I still have some nostalgia for the old stuff and it's sometimes hard for me to see pictures of Tuxedo Mask or hear Sailor Moon music anymore or anything. The "great romance" between Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask that I sometimes see people on Tumblr or whatever talk about makes me feel sick to my stomach. I can't imagine how Bunny feels about it.

But life goes on.

I've only seen Silver one time since then - Mars and I have since moved farther up north, and unfortunately into Silver's territory. As it turns out, we even use the same bank. We went in to deposit a check and I noticed something uncomfortably familiar about the man at the teller next to us. It was Silver. The same black jeans and faded black t-shirt, the same unwashed black haircut, the same wallet chain, the same sunglasses. We both finished our transactions at the same time, and both turned away from the counter towards the door. I tried to stay one step behind him, slowing my pace. He turned to open the door and hold it for me, and as he did, he glanced over his shoulder, and looked right at me.

We locked eyes for a second and he turned away and walked quickly towards his car. I don't know if he recognized me or not.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

That's scary as hell, what a psycho. I'd hate to live in the same town as that guy. Were you (understandably) freaked out after running into him at the bank?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

:ohdear: That's a scary ending to the story... It's awful you guys have been through all of that, particularly Bunny. It might be a long time until you all have peace of mind. Thanks for relaying the stories. Even though there's piles of stories in this thread already, each one makes me feel less alone. The more information we compile, the better prepared we are to protect ourselves.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

atroquinine posted:

We also had a fourth roommate who refused to shower or wear deodorant and had an obsession with animal fur skins - she smelled so awful the cat thought her bed was a litter box. She had her own unfortunate anime-inspired bat-shittery I won't get into.

Oh, don't worry, we have a thread for that too.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Well that went from pathetically hilarious to sickeningly disturbing real quick.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I know absolutely nothing about the show besides what I looked up just now on the wiki, but why in the hell would someone voluntarily pick to be Sailor Pluto? It seems like the character that would be like your older siblings forcing you to pick the iron in Monopoly. But there's only four sailors, so that means he must have voluntarily picked her. I realize this is a weird thing to pick up on admist the crazy.

Meh, Sailor Pluto is mature and awesome when you're like 13 years old.

Yeah, I watched that back then, :dealwithit:

EDIT: Holy goodness, that's messed up. I am glad that you made it out unscathed, and sorry to hear that Bunny had to suffer from other's craziness. :gbsmith:

Jeek fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 4, 2013

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Holy poo poo, how has he not been committed?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Well that was pretty dramatic, from the way you'd spoke about it, I thought he'd attacked you. But it's so much worse when it's someone else being hurt and you're a long way away and not able to do anything. Sorry you had to go through that. It sucks pretty hard. Do you still find yourself looking over your shoulder, expecting to see Silver? Or have you gotten to the point where you can go about your business without fear?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
You know some of the accounts people have given went to pretty dark places. Not so much friend nearly murdered by sword wielding maniac. I'm glad you got out of there. Is Bunny doing okay?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Dude, I just want to give you a big hug, atroquinine. Your story just sort of broke my heart, especially about Bunny getting abused. Like I've said before, I don't have much patience for crazy poo poo like you guys have been through (I love reading it, but were I in your shoes, I would have pulled an e/n and severed quick. Well, nowadays at least-I probably would have tolerated it when I was younger.) but I have a huge soft spot for folks who have been hurt/abused.

Like Mind Loving Owl asked: Is Bunny okay? Hell, are you okay? And Mars?

atroquinine
Apr 27, 2013
Thank you everyone for your concern. :) I appreciate it a lot.

Mars and I are doing fine. When we were living in Denver (that is, not where most of this happened and not where Silver is) I didn't think about it a lot, but since the bank incident and moving a little farther up north where we are now, I worry about running into him a lot. It used to be that whenever we would see the car he drove in "sick aqua" (his color) we'd wonder if it was him, even though we both knew he didn't have that car anymore. (There are a crazy number of those cars with dents right in the same place where he'd punched his, next to the keyhole on the trunk - kind of bizarre.) As it stands though Silver isn't something I think about daily or even that often, and Mars and I are both so busy with school and art (he's a photographer, I'm an illustrator) that we only talk about him every so often. He definitely had an impact on us, and sometimes it's tough living so close to him and never knowing where he is in relation to me at any given moment (just because I know how dangerous he is, and how apparently unhinged he is even to this day).

Bunny has moved to a different state and basically completely reinvented herself. She's also pretty busy with work and school and being pretty successful in theatre. I can't even think of her as the same person, really - she goes by a different name and everything. After Silver, she was (very understandably) messed up, and became pretty bitter and sometimes hard to deal with - she got a girlfriend about a year later and she ended up being a horrible person too, so Bunny's trust was pretty hosed up at that point. By the time I came to live with Bunny and Mars in 2007, I realized she had made a lot of changes for the worse - she didn't care about other people or their feelings, she was inconsiderate and selfish and sometimes just mean. But since then she's taken a lot of time to reinvent herself - after I kicked her out we didn't talk for a long, long time* (with one notable exception - hang on for that, it has to do with Silver) but within the last two years we've gotten back into contact and she's turned out to be one of the most level-headed, mature people I now know (and she's in a happy, healthy relationship, so that's good too). It's not surprising that going through what she went through made her go through a rough patch, personality-wise - they were engaged, rings (with moonstone) and everything. She's been through a lot and really come out on top. We don't talk about Silver much, but I know what she went through still affects her quite a bit - we're friends on Dreamwidth and she'll write about it sometimes, but she's doing a lot better.

It's strange to think that the three of us have changed so much as people over the years - our goals, our interests, our dreams, and our paths, and then to look on Facebook and see Silver is exactly the same. Reading through the bit of his feed I looked through made me start to feel sick, and eventually I had to stop.

Here was a particularly lovely gem from when he was apparently in a grocery store that got held up at knife point (he wasn't involved):

(Again, he's the "R" here.
That one "like" on his last comment is from his current girlfriend. Blech.)

*The one time I did talk to Bunny during our stint of general unfriendliness towards each other was because one day in 2007, long after everything went down and years and years since I'd last talked to Silver, I signed onto MSN for some reason or another. Silver IMed me out of nowhere and told me his "vampire shrink" (this is what he called his therapist, which he only started going to after it was court ordered...) was encouraging him to reach out to Mars and Bunny so they could have a session together and so he could get "closure" with everyone. It loving terrified me. He told me he was pretty sure he was on the trail of getting their contact information. In a moment of silly panic I wondered if he was only IMing me because he somehow knew I was back in the state. I told him I was still living in Kentucky and that I wasn't in contact with Mars or Bunny anymore and signed off, but I had to email Bunny to warn her about the possibility of him trying to contact her. Luckily, though, nothing ever came of it. I can't imagine a therapist who actually knew the whole story advocating for that sort of thing, so either Silver was lying to me, or he'd lied to and manipulated the therapist. Both seem pretty possible.

I'm not surprised he hasn't been committed, because he's charming and smooth most of the time. What he did to Bunny didn't even get him in that much trouble, which disgusts me - Bunny has had to live with the consequences much more than he has. Him slamming her head into the key rack caused permanent damage, she can't do dance routines with much spinning (which makes her chosen career path pretty hard) and can't ride rollercoasters or anything without getting very very sick. (Not even considering the psychological effects, of course.)

But yeah - thanks for the condolences, everyone, it's nice to share the story because it's not something I can ever really talk about. I'll stop making super-long posts now. :downswords:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Holy Hell.

Silver may not be armed, but he didn't use a weapon when he did the worst damage to Bunny, either. This is a man who needs to be on a chain and leash.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

Holy Hell.

Silver may not be armed, but he didn't use a weapon when he did the worst damage to Bunny, either. This is a man who needs to be on a chain and leash.

That's a terrible idea! That means someone has to hold the leash, which means they're within reach of him.

The idea has some merit though... Perhaps instead of another person we could give the leash to an enraged gorilla and let it throw him around. See how much he likes it.

Still though, another happy ending. Congratulations Atroquinine! Good luck with your illustrating! :)

atroquinine
Apr 27, 2013

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Still though, another happy ending. Congratulations Atroquinine! Good luck with your illustrating! :)

Yep, all's mostly well for the people who deserve it. :)

And thanks! I'm transferring at RMCAD in the Fall to finish my education and I'm pretty psyched about it.

Glad you and I both managed to get away from the crazy and move on.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

atroquinine posted:

I'm not surprised he hasn't been committed, because he's charming and smooth most of the time.
A common character trait of psychopaths and narcissists alike.

If he was still under the restraining order when he messaged you about the 'closure' session with Mars/Bunny, you should have reported that immediately; because:
  • No therapist would even suggest that he should contact someone he's not allowed to under a restraining order - that would be breaking the law. They don't have the power to reverse a court ordered restraining order, and if the restraining order was to be reversed, I'm fairly sure that Bunny would have been contacted beforehand via the legal system to inform her.
  • No therapist would urge him to contact them himself to 'organise a session'.
  • Even if the restraining order was over, this poo poo should go on file somewhere, in case he does manage to track her down, and does something insane.
This may not be over for Bunny, depending on how long Silver can hold a grudge for. Stay safe!

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
Finally caught up with this thread. The Nazi Whisperer is one of the funniest (and most disturbing) things I've heard in awhile. :allears:

I was talking to a friend who recently moved to a new town and met some crazy people. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I don't know these people personally, so I'll just report what she told me.

There are four girls graduating high school this year. They wear long wigs, cat ears, and sometimes fairy wings in public. They wear costumes to school every day. Most of the time, it's Haruhi costumes, and one of them wears a red armband around. They've always gotten dirty looks and people asking why they're wearing Nazi armbands, but they insist that they're being "persecuted" for being fans when someone tells them they shouldn't wear it. They also wear some sort of anime half-assed Nazi costumes.

Not only do they wear all of this, they constantly take "photoshoots" wherever they go. Everywhere, apparently. They plan to wear the kinda-Nazi costumes under their clothes at graduation.

Somehow I find this weirder than that, but they also insist on being called Kyle, Kenny, Stan, and Cartman. They aren't just anime cosplayers, they also wear South Park costumes. Cartman is their ringleader, and the fattest one. This would just be weird if they didn't make out and take pictures of it in public. Everywhere they go, someone take pictures while the other (8 year old boys, right?) of their pairings make out or hump each other or whatever. So you've got a teenage girl dressed as Kyle and another dressed as Stan pinning her to the ground or kissing her in the mall, at the park, whatever. It's so :psyduck:

I mean, anime has always attracted the weirdos but... has South Park with fangirls? I haven't followed the show in quite some time but nothing about it would make me think so. They're loving cardboard cutouts.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
There are some elements of the South Park fandom that have really creepy crushes on the boys. You wouldn't think that a show as crude as South Park would have fans that managed to corrupt the characters, but it's true.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I'm pretty sure I've seen anime versions of the south park characters. Which if I recall had a bunch of fan drawing with creepy overtones. God I hate Deviant Art.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen anime versions of the south park characters. Which if I recall had a bunch of fan drawing with creepy overtones. God I hate Deviant Art.

Well not only were there all the fan anime versions, there's also the official anime versions from one of the episodes

Visteri
Apr 2, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

There are some elements of the South Park fandom that have really creepy crushes on the boys. You wouldn't think that a show as crude as South Park would have fans that managed to corrupt the characters, but it's true.
I know one of these people.

Not well enough to know if she believes she is married to any of the characters on the astral plane or whatever, but enough to have seen her post some of her terrifying anime fan art on Facebook. She also posted this once: "i love south park so must u all on black friday love it ans pray for it....south park kenny mccormick, Stan marsh, KYLE broflski, mention they love you wish marry thanksging of us of all. on SOUTH PARK 20111 THANKSGIVING FEST FROM SOUTH PARK"

:iiam:

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I had to go look. I had to. I needed to know, and I got my answers. BEHOLD, an entire album of creepy "South Park doujinshi" work. It's technically work safe, but I'd still be embarrassed to look at it around other people.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Visteri posted:

I know one of these people.

Not well enough to know if she believes she is married to any of the characters on the astral plane or whatever, but enough to have seen her post some of her terrifying anime fan art on Facebook. She also posted this once: "i love south park so must u all on black friday love it ans pray for it....south park kenny mccormick, Stan marsh, KYLE broflski, mention they love you wish marry thanksging of us of all. on SOUTH PARK 20111 THANKSGIVING FEST FROM SOUTH PARK"

:iiam:

...I think that means you're a character in a Slenderman blog.

atroquinine
Apr 27, 2013

Rohaq posted:

If he was still under the restraining order when he messaged you about the 'closure' session with Mars/Bunny, you should have reported that immediately; because:
  • No therapist would even suggest that he should contact someone he's not allowed to under a restraining order - that would be breaking the law. They don't have the power to reverse a court ordered restraining order, and if the restraining order was to be reversed, I'm fairly sure that Bunny would have been contacted beforehand via the legal system to inform her.
  • No therapist would urge him to contact them himself to 'organise a session'.
  • Even if the restraining order was over, this poo poo should go on file somewhere, in case he does manage to track her down, and does something insane.
This may not be over for Bunny, depending on how long Silver can hold a grudge for. Stay safe!

He wasn't, unfortunately. The court-imposed restraining order only lasted for one year; after that, Bunny would have had to pay for it, and she didn't choose to do that for whatever reason (likely, she couldn't afford to and/or didn't want to stir anything up).

I definitely agree that the idea of a therapist doing that is pretty suspect, though.

angelfisher posted:

creepy south park stuff

Uhg, man. I once drew a picture of Mysterion (Kenny's alter ego) in a more comic style (comparatively anyway) and unknowingly submitted it to my deviantART account. This led to me seeing a lot of uncomfortable stuff I didn't really want to see.

I will never understand making out with friends. These people just consider themselves friends, right? I see people on Tumblr and stuff talk about "platonic kissing" and it weirds me out. It's even weirder when you're dressed up like fourth grade boys, though. Color me uncomfortable.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Seems like an excuse for closet lesbians to get some action. Although I don't see how pretending to be homosexual children is any more acceptable to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Corridor posted:

Seems like an excuse for closet lesbians to get some action. Although I don't see how pretending to be homosexual children is any more acceptable to them.

It's often a very sad way for stupid teenage girls to try to grab boys' attention. Oh, who am I kidding. At anime cons it persists way beyond the teens. :smith:

• Locked thread