Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You more or less have to factor out FOTS cannons when discussing general balance. They are such an absurdity that you can't factor them in, because no reasonable system would be capable of accommodating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tomn posted:

Quick question - wasn't one of the particular Roman strengths their ability at combat engineering and siegecraft? I seem to recall it being mentioned as a particular Roman feature, though I can't recall where - possibly in the Gallic Commentaries.

Yes, post-Marian especially.

Mans posted:

Sieges were hard and complicated during classical times and the major battles were fought outside of cities because of the simply lack of space to place entire armies inside them. Artillery made fortifications stronger too, most battles of the Italian wars were sieges, most battles of Louis XIV were sieges too. The basic here is that battles were fought both on open ground and attacking fortification, yet Rome I is really based on siege battles, more than 80% of the battles are sieges.

Notice there's a massive difference between "take town" and "make a large scale assault on every single community which has massive gently caress off fortifications and capacity to hold entire armies inside them. Force towns

Sieges are boring and tedious. Open battles should be the basis of the game and Rome II would improve immensely by forcing armies to go play outside the walls.

Saying "just wait 8 turns for them to come out" is dumb too, they come out really weakened and the AI sucks at sallying out.

My point was that sieges were common during antiquity, not that they weren't after the spread of gunpowder.

And I think you're really blurring the line between battle and siege. Yeah, not every siege was against 500 foot high walls 50 feet thick with 100 foot tall onagers and iron plated siege towers, but Rome 1 doesn't really have a middle ground here, and armies would basically never duke it out in the middle of a field for no reason, which is what a Rome 1 battle is. Armies would march with purpose with the aim of taking town after town after town. Yeah, it's boring. I'm not arguing that the number of sieges in Rome 1 wasn't poo poo, especially since they weren't avoidable, but why are you using examples from Rome 1 again? It's 10 years old. Rome 2 is going to be based on Shogun 2, not its older cousin, and Shogun 2's siege mechanics are pretty good.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tomn posted:

Quick question - wasn't one of the particular Roman strengths their ability at combat engineering and siegecraft? I seem to recall it being mentioned as a particular Roman feature, though I can't recall where - possibly in the Gallic Commentaries.
They were one of the few factions with giant siege equipment like the onagers, also being complemented by Scorpions and stuff. I think only Carthage and the Seleucids had the same toys.

Koramei posted:

It's 10 years old. Rome 2 is going to be based on Shogun 2, not its older cousin, and Shogun 2's siege mechanics are pretty good.
What's different? Last game i played was Medieval 2 so i know zero about Shogun's siege mechanics. The campaigns of this time period were based on conquering towns as they were usually based on areas where resources converged, but must battles didn't really happen like in Rome's sieges, they happened during the walk, during a retreat from a failed siege or from an outside relieving the besieged force.

Again, the base of this argument is that Rome II should base the game around open fights where the AI isn't a joke and you're allowed to play around with tactics.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Mans posted:

What's different? Last game i played was Medieval 2 so i know zero about Shogun's siege mechanics. The campaigns of this time period were based on conquering towns as they were usually based on areas where resources converged, but must battles didn't really happen like in Rome's sieges, they happened during the walk, during a retreat from a failed siege or from an outside relieving the besieged force.

Again, the base of this argument is that Rome II should base the game around open fights where the AI isn't a joke and you're allowed to play around with tactics.

Medieval 2 is like 7 years old! Why would you assume the sieges are at all similar. :doh:

In Shogun 2 you can force every siege into an open fight. When a defender sallies forth, it sets up a normal battle with deployment times and everything, not just the defenders all scrambling out of their gate. I agree that the old system was stupid, but it hasn't been in the games for a very long time. And yeah, most historical engagements would not be within the fortifications, but most of the time in war armies would not be having engagements, they would be pootering about waiting outside or inside walls or some other kind of defensive crap. Nobody actually wants to assault someone that's entrenched, and the Shogun 2 system captures that pretty well. A siege assault and a siege are not the same thing.

I do wish the AI would try to starve us out more than assault us though, it's one of my biggest complaints with the system.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mans posted:

They were one of the few factions with giant siege equipment like the onagers, also being complemented by Scorpions and stuff. I think only Carthage and the Seleucids had the same toys.

Well, I was talking about the Romans in actual history, not in the game, but presumably the game does try to replicate that bit of history.

As for what's different, lots. The whole city thing is cut out entirely - there's just a single fortress complex, so you don't need to worry about street pathfinding. On the defending side, castles are arranged in multiple levels - scale the walls or storm the gates of one level, and you'll still need to fight your way up to the next level while defenders from above continue to rain fire down upon you. Automated turrets are included in higher level forts, but can be captured if a force heads to their capture point and holds it for long enough. On the attacking side, all units can scale all and any walls without special equipment, though trying to force a defended wall is always a tricky proposition, and all units suffer attrition from people falling off and such even if the wall isn't defended. Alternatively, all units can burn down gates to rush through them as well, so siege equipment in general is useful, but not at all required.

The overall result is far more dynamic sieges than in past games, since the attacker is going to take losses no matter what he does against anything but the most weakly defended fortresses, while the defenders can't just sit on the walls until they get knocked down and must rush troops to any potential assault. It's pretty good fun, even if it is a bit of a grind for the attacker in the really high level forts.

That said, those sieges seem to be rooted in aspects of Japanese culture, somewhat, and CA's screens of Carthage definitely include the actual city, so we're probably not going to see the exact same thing. Still, it's proof that sieges CAN be fun.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I really wish they would have given us some actual city maps to siege in Shogun 2. All of your castle are supposedly surrounded by "castle towns" but you never get to see any of them. I hated how even when you finally got to the the big siege battle at Kyoto you're still attacking a castle in the middle of fuckoff nowhere.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Not only that, but its actually easier to attack than every other fort, because of how open it is. All I had to do was attack the front with my main force, use ninja's and cav to attack it from behind and my troops will capture their inner fort in no time. Meanwhile my main force is smashing the defenders because the castle is so open flanking is a breeze.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Didn't the previews for Rome 2 show that at the very least Carthage is going to be appear as a full fledged city during sieges, or was that just for one historical battle? I'm hoping for some kind of hybrid between the Shogun 2 style open forts and the Rome styled cities, only this time with actual pathfinding so my legions get stuck on buildings or go the wrong way again.

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure Carthage would be a full city, because I recall hearing in an interview that several tiles in the campaign will be scenario tiles. The example given being an army initiating combat on the Teutoburg Forest tile, causing the battle to take place on the Teutoburg scenario map. I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that that feature will include cities as well.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
When you think about it though that sounds kind of terrible. Every time I attack (or am attacked) near Teutoburg forest I get an ambush on the march instead of a meeting engagement? Because thats the way that one map is set up?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The scenario map is loaded doesn't exactly mean you're going to be doing the actual scenario.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rabhadh posted:

When you think about it though that sounds kind of terrible. Every time I attack (or am attacked) near Teutoburg forest I get an ambush on the march instead of a meeting engagement? Because thats the way that one map is set up?

No, you'll fight a normal battle on said map.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All we really know is that with Rome 2 they're trying to solve the problem of late-game blobbing in a new way that sort of iterates on the way 'Realm Divide' works in Shogun 2 and FOTS.

I interpret that to mean that each individual war you fight will get a lot more narrative to it, and that the game will sacrifice some of the sandbox nature that the AI can't handle in order to throw harder and harder battles at you as you invade a faction.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
In the video the map is basically a long narrow road though

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

In the video the map is basically a long narrow road though
Don't have to fight along it though.
You could defend the slope on your side and have a clear shot and the high ground or push across it, this way you are fighting uphill but have an easy way to shuffle troops behind your lines. Already a better map that 90% of what Rome 1 produced.

Typical Gnu
Mar 4, 2013

Alchenar posted:

All we really know is that with Rome 2 they're trying to solve the problem of late-game blobbing in a new way that sort of iterates on the way 'Realm Divide' works in Shogun 2 and FOTS.

Do you have the source on that? That sounds pretty neat.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I miss the AI superpower factions. It was the best part of Medieval 1, that almost always there would be at least one superpower on a level with your own and you would fight absolutely monumental wars to beat them. I remember one time playing as the Byzantines where the Almohads had conquered half of Europe and I had the other half, so Denmark to Italy was one battlefield with ridiculous troop numbers on both sides smashing into each other. They seemed to remedy this somewhat in Shogun 2, but the battles were never to the same scale. It would be great if they could set up something in Rome 2 so one faction was actually a threat in the mid-to-late game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You could sort of get that in Napoleon--play as Russia or Britain and France would quite quickly take over Central Europe, and actually try to defend its territory.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheSeltsamOne posted:

Do you have the source on that? That sounds pretty neat.

Just the interviews where they talk about narrative 'events' that happen as you invade a country, and fact that they refer to assaulting a nation's Capitol (Carthage) as a 'boss' battle. It all just adds up to them taking a big stab at solving the pacing problem that's in all Total War games by structuring everything a bit more rigidly.

Which is fine by me, the two most fun Total War games I've played were Alexander and Peninsula War - campaigns which offered the illusion of freedom but for all practical purposes put the player on a timetable so tight he has to keep attacking or lose. Incidentally that's something I think is really important for fixing the pace of Total War; there needs to be a push factor to prevent the player from sitting back and building up full stacks of heavy infantry and then complaining that it's too easy when he steam-rolls everything.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
You'd never see it without trawling the TWC forums, but Jack Lusted recently posted a massive explanation of the combat system changes in Rome 2.

quote:

First post for a while and I want to take this opportunity to talk about the changes we have made to the combat system and tweaks we have made to the morale system as well.

Combat changes

There have been big changes to the combat system for Rome II. I will talk about these changes in the context of some new stats: weapon damage and health.

Weapon damage is split into two parts, base damage and armour piercing damage (referred to as AP damage from here on out). AP damage is always applied but base damage can be blocked by armour. Melee weapons and projectiles have this damage split. Health is the amount of hit points a soldier in a unit has, and damage dealt reduces a soldiers hit points.

This system gives us a lot more flexibility in how we balance units. Whereas before an axe may have been set as armour piercing which would reduce target armour by half, the new system allows us to give axes lots of AP damage but little base damage so that most of their damage cannot be blocked by armour. Other weapons may have the other extreme, lots of base damage but low AP damage which would make them fantastic against units with low armour but weak against more heavily armoured opponents.

All weapons do some AP damage so you can always guarantee that no matter who is fighting who some damage will always be done, though this may be very little.

Health has been introduced as the system that damage affects, most units will have a similar amount of health (more for cavalry when mounted to show the hit points of horses) and armour will be a bigger factor in a unit’s survivability as that can block damage whereas health can only absorb so much.

Melee defence is still a factor and is matched against melee attack to determine if a unit will hit and then see if it does damage.

Shields in Rome II do not just provide a bonus to melee defence, they now can provide a bonus to both melee defence and armour when a soldier is attacked from the front or left. How much of a bonus is given to melee defence or armour is dependent on the shield a unit has in the database. So a hoplite shield will give a big bonus to armour but less to melee defence due to how it was held close to the body and could not be moved around lots, but a celtic shield will give a big bonus to melee defence showing how it was used much more actively.

Charge bonus now affects both melee attack and damage to reflect the changes made to the combat system.

All these changes allow for a lot more flexibility and more depth to be portrayed in the unit balancing and combat calculations. This system has more depth to it than any previous Total War games whilst keeping the rules simple so players can grasp what each stat means. All the complexity of the previous system has been retained with more added to it

A brief note here on ranged combat. With the way we display arcs to show the range of missile units, dynamic height based range bonuses are basically impossible to do as it is entirely dependent on who the unit is targeting. Instead we have implemented a damage bonus for ranged units firing down on enemies, and a damage reduction for ranged units firing up on enemies. This allows us to have an advantage for ranged units on high ground without massively complicated code for dynamic firing arcs with very few benefits.

The new combat rules also have one v many combat coded into them. The animations may look 1v1, but under the hood every available additional attacker is factored in and will result in a person surrounded by enemies dying a lot faster.

Morale Changes

There have been less code changes to the morale system, the big one being a smoothing mechanism to soften some of the big jumps between different morale values that can be caused by balancing. This, when combined with units being in the wavering state for longer will allow players more time to react to units in trouble and to try and boost their morale.

The morale values themselves have had a lot of changes, for example the morale penalty from being under missile fire is much greater in Rome II to emphasise the harassment nature of missile units and allow those ranged units to be less focused on just killing opponents and so offer a wider array of tactical uses. The morale effects for lost casualties and flanking have also ben tweaked to help make the cause and effect of player actions more clear in the battlefield and put more emphasis on good movement and positioning.

Unit Stat Scales

As some people noticed in the Teutoberg trailer, the stats for units are a lot bigger now. This is because we are using a wider range of stats for units in Rome II. For example in Shogun 2 morale may have gone from 4 to 15 for most units (excluding heroes). In Rome II it can go from 10 to 75.

This greater range allows us much more granularity in the bonuses we give from experience and in the campaign and also a greater range to differentiate units over.

Additionally, I should point out that the Teutoberg video certainly showed barbarian units breaking earlier and Roman units surviving longer than they will do in the final game. We tweaked this for the video so that the guy demoing it could actually get through the battle to the end without dying horribly halfway through. It can be hilarious when that happens for the fifth time in a row, but maybe not so much when we are trying to record a video to show you….

Below are images of some of the Greek shield patterns.

Post here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?548136-Exclusive-Content-and-Dev-chat-for-Total-War-Center

So much greater range of stats, units now have HP/Damage ratings along with attack and defense, and lots of other tweaks like weapons having Armor Piercing Damage and shields with varying stats for different uses. Also some large changes to morale that it's hard to guess how it will play out without seeing them.

The most confusing thing is that it can be hard to follow the use of attack vs damage in places now that they are different stats...It does sound like the new system puts more emphasis on armor vs damage then attack vs defense, but I could be wrong.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 4, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

madmac posted:

The most confusing thing is that it can be hard to follow the use of attack vs damage in places now that they are different stats...It does sound like the new system puts more emphasis on armor vs damage then attack vs defense, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for cross-posting this. Coming from an RPG perspective, this makes a lot of sense to me. You compare the attack vs. defense values in order to determine the hit chance, and then you compare the armor/hitpoint vs. AP/base damage values to resolve the effect of a successful strike. A unit with a high attack will land more strikes, whereas a unit with high damage will be more deadly when those strikes land.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 4, 2013

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Thanks for cross-posting this. Coming from an RPG perspective, this makes a lot of sense to me. You compare the attack vs. defense values in order to determine the hit chance, and then you compare the armor/hitpoint vs. AP/base damage values to resolve the effect of a successful strike. A unit with a high attack will land more strikes, whereas a unit with high damage will be more deadly when those strikes land.

Right right. I just mean for some of his examples I wasn't entirely sure if he means damage or damage-damage. On second glance through I think he's actually consistent about it, I'm just not used to thinking of it as an actual TW stat that matters.

It's a good change though. More variables means more things to play with to make interesting differences in gameplay. They can actually make heavily armored units that are countered by heavy axemen but strong against light units and vice-versa. As opposed to older TW games where two-handers just kind of murdered everything and then died because all you could do is give them monster attack and AP and balance it with paper armor or whatever.

If nothing else, it should help with the age old TW problem where you read up on all your awesome and unique cultural units!...and then check their stats and realize they're mostly just standard issue spearmen with +1 def or whatever.

Can't hurt with making Warhammer Total War more doable, either.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's nice to see a breakaway from vast numbers of marginally different units. I'm sure it'll be horribly unbalanced and broken on launch, but a step in the right direction.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like you just pick the units with the best AP and win.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Sounds like you just pick the units with the best AP and win.

It sounds like if you pick high AP but low total weapon damage you would have a unit that would do less overall damage to less armored opponents than a low AP high damage weapon.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

It sounds like if you pick high AP but low total weapon damage you would have a unit that would do less overall damage to less armored opponents than a low AP high damage weapon.

This. Also keep in mind that accuracy and damage and AP damage are all different stats. Not to mention some shields give bonus defense while others provide armor. Also it sounds like multiple HPs will be the default, with most soldiers falling in an expected range.

There's a lot of different combinations of stats and properties to play with for different results. As long as CA doesn't go crazy with units that have high everything, it should work out.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Captain Beans posted:

That makes more sense.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

madmac posted:

This. Also keep in mind that accuracy and damage and AP damage are all different stats. Not to mention some shields give bonus defense while others provide armor. Also it sounds like multiple HPs will be the default, with most soldiers falling in an expected range.

There's a lot of different combinations of stats and properties to play with for different results. As long as CA doesn't go crazy with units that have high everything, it should work out.

The issue is, of course, that you run the real risk of a million different units that vary by only the slightest amount, something that was the case in Rome 1 and this new system will do nothing to actually fix. The myriad of stat variations make it quite overwhelming for newer players in addition to steepening the learning curve (something which turns most strategy gamers who tried Total War off already) without actually adding all that much depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see that almost all units that fit core roles of various factions have identical stats but different skins, if for no other reason than to see a snowballs chance in hell of balance. This is especially true of the multiplayer, which CA will almost certainly want to be balanced if it is to gain any traction.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Like the sound of the missile changes. Always wanted to use bows in shogun 2 multiplayer but it usually wasn't worth it to bring more than one or two. Sounds like they'll have a bigger role in Rome.

It'll probably be tough to keep these new stats straight though unless they really generalize it. I think they've said there'll be 700 units. They might not end up being that different overall unless they expect most players to learn the stats and how to counter 700 unique units.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

shalcar posted:

The issue is, of course, that you run the real risk of a million different units that vary by only the slightest amount, something that was the case in Rome 1 and this new system will do nothing to actually fix. The myriad of stat variations make it quite overwhelming for newer players in addition to steepening the learning curve (something which turns most strategy gamers who tried Total War off already) without actually adding all that much depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see that almost all units that fit core roles of various factions have identical stats but different skins, if for no other reason than to see a snowballs chance in hell of balance. This is especially true of the multiplayer, which CA will almost certainly want to be balanced if it is to gain any traction.

Maybe I've been spoiled by the :spergin: nature of Europa Barbarorum, but unit diversity in 200 BC Europe seems larger than that of Sengoku period Japan or 18th century Napoleonic warfare. I appreciate multiplayer balance, and I hope for it amongst the playable factions, but I worry for the "108" npc factions. It was slightly more tolerable in Empire and Napoleon, when warfare was pretty standard across the world, but it'd be disappointing to see all the nonplayable factions just Suebi/Iceni/Averni/Parthians in different colors.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
^^ Larger and smaller. Shogun 2 spoiled us with clearly differentiated unit roles that had virtually no overlap. There's basically no way they can do that in any other game or period. The civilizations weren't really that different though. You'd have the distinctly different groups of barbarians- the celts, gauls, germans, spanish, dacians, scythians- and for everything in between you'd sort of just have a mix. Hellenistic tactics were used across the Mediterranean, Persian tactics across the Ancient Near East... it's not like every single civilization came up with its own distinct style of fighting.

And I don't see the problem with homogenous units between factions at all? If anything, Shogun 2 showed us that that is absolutely okay. So what if there are half a dozen variants of the phalangite that are statistically identical? We had literally identical Yari Ashigaru and it was absolutely fine. We'll all be "oh yes those are our cheap spearmen, those are our expensive ones", and that will be that. They've also specifically said they'll be using non-confusing names for things.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender
^^^^^^^ e: fb. Koramei said it better.

That's all well and good, but Rome 2 is a game first and foremost, which means it has to satisfy a different set of needs to a super specialised mod like Europa Barbarorum. If CA were to make Rome 2 into EB, it would be panned, because it would a be a confusing :spergin: mess that no-one could get their hands on without significant time invested. While that's great for a mod, the vast audience of Total War are not actually interested in which hand the 22nd Gallic tribe over the hill wielded their axes in.

That's ignoring what is required for multiplayer balance, which you will notice in all other strategy games tends to cap at around 3 playable factions as balance becomes exponentially more complicated for each faction added after the first.

It also ignores the elephant in the room, unit feel. Do you really notice the difference with a spearman that has +1 defence vs one that has +1 attack? Because that's what the vast majority of the units boil down to and if you stripped away unit names and skins, you would be hard pressed to actually know which unit you were really using. More is not always more, in fact, more can be less due to the extra complication and confusion that it brings into the game. It's no accident that the simplified and streamlined game that is Shogun 2 is the best in the series, as it was designed on taking out complication and bloat, streamlining systems that needed streamlining (Replenishment and sieges for example) and bringing it all back to basics, from units to buildings. I would say that perhaps on release they had taken out too much of the individual faction flavour, but with the DLC's they released, they added in the variety that for the most part, makes different major factions feel suitably different in philosophy.

Obviously after such a quality reductionist game, the next title works heavily on the additive to try to fix systems which never worked (Sea battles spring to mind), but if they go too far on that then they risk making a bloated mess that their own AI can't play and that lacks design focus. Too much additive special sauce got us Empire, the game that nearly killed the series, so you will forgive me if I would rather they took their time to only add what works and is known to work in their respective systems.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shalcar posted:

You might by the only person in the world who thinks unit variety is a bad thing. I hope no one responsible for Rome II hears anything you say because unit diversity was what made Rome so fun and the mods even better.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Mans posted:

You might by the only person in the world who thinks unit variety is a bad thing. I hope no one responsible for Rome II hears anything you say because unit diversity was what made Rome so fun and the mods even better.

Yes, I'm clearly arguing for all units to be replaced by a single one called "People". It's because I hate fun. You sure you wouldn't rather be posting on TWC?

Or perhaps I'm arguing that after a certain point, unit variety has a greater negative impact on the game as a whole than any positives gained from the extra variety. Unit variety doesn't exist in a vacuum, it adds additional balancing needs and additional learning from the player. This is in a game that already has difficulty with both unit balance (multiplayer primarily) and with the learning curve for new players (even experienced Total War players). If the unit doesn't have a unique role on the battlefield, it will be used in the same manner as the existing unit and so doesn't actually gain you anything, gameplay wise.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I suppose I should clarify a bit. At most I just want superficial diversity. I liked Europa Barborum for the 8 billion different kinds of spearman/cavalry/people wearing dead animals on their heads. It was nice that Libyan spearmen had different armor stats than the sweboz, but it didn't affect my game that much. If the npc factions have the same stats as their playable counterparts but are graphically different in a neat way, it'll be a nice perk for my campaign game. Multiplayer is fun for the tactics, and I hope Carthage plays radically different from Rome and Pontus, etc to encourage that. That's hard, I know. But really, I just want to see some HD dude wearing a dead wolf fight some guy wearing a dead leopard x a billion.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Aurubin posted:

I suppose I should clarify a bit. At most I just want superficial diversity. I liked Europa Barborum for the 8 billion different kinds of spearman/cavalry/people wearing dead animals on their heads. It was nice that Libyan spearmen had different armor stats than the sweboz, but it didn't affect my game that much. If the npc factions have the same stats as their playable counterparts but are graphically different in a neat way, it'll be a nice perk for my campaign game. Multiplayer is fun for the tactics, and I hope Carthage plays radically different from Rome and Pontus, etc to encourage that. That's hard, I know. But really, I just want to see some HD dude wearing a dead wolf fight some guy wearing a dead leopard x a billion.

shalcar posted:

I mentioned superficial diversity and I expect that this will be the likely outcome. I too want to see dead wolf guy vs dead leopard guy, but I also don't want to have them throw away all the massive strides the series has taken since Rome 1. I'm sure Carthage will play differently to Rome will play differently to Pontus, if for no other reason than I would expect those factions to have well developed armies which satisfy complimentary niches with each other and the minor factions simply draw from those army archetypes with different skins. Which would put the unique unit types around 30-50ish, which is a solid amount that is still workable in balance and understanding capacities, while still giving you plenty of templates for a million different skins to really up the spectacle.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

shalcar posted:

It's no accident that the simplified and streamlined game that is Shogun 2 is the best in the series, as it was designed on taking out complication and bloat, streamlining systems that needed streamlining (Replenishment and sieges for example) and bringing it all back to basics, from units to buildings.

That's not exactly a universally held opinion. Personally whilst I appreciated many of the quality of life improvements in shogun I felt it was a bit bland compared to other games in the series, a large part of that was due to the lack of unit variety. Yes much of the unit variety in Rome was superficial , but the factions did actually play fairly differently.

I do however agree that Shogun 2 shined in multiplayer and they will have a hard job balancing in the same way with 8 different factions, but I'm interested to see how they attempt it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I don't believe anyone really thinks CA is going to create 700 "unique" units. They'll put a lot of effort into making the 9 playable factions different and interesting, and the majority of the minor clans are going to be cultural templates and reskins with maybe an interesting variation here and there.

That said, I do remember them saying that they were going to do stuff like giving each of the celtic tribes a "theme". So you might have the tribe who really likes wardogs, or the one that's known for their throwing axemen and whatever. Which is perfectly fine and not that much added work. Makes the minor clans slightly more interesting then the blandness of the non-playable Shogun 2 clans.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Shorter Than Some posted:

That's not exactly a universally held opinion. Personally whilst I appreciated many of the quality of life improvements in shogun I felt it was a bit bland compared to other games in the series, a large part of that was due to the lack of unit variety. Yes much of the unit variety in Rome was superficial , but the factions did actually play fairly differently.

I do however agree that Shogun 2 shined in multiplayer and they will have a hard job balancing in the same way with 8 different factions, but I'm interested to see how they attempt it.

Mechanically, it's the best game in the series. Everything about Shogun 2 is tight (with the glaring exception of sea battles) and controlled, which did come at the price of some *blandness*. The actual title of best tends to go towards whichever era of combat you prefer with eras outside of those seeming more bland by comparison, although it would be difficult to argue that Rome is the best even with the fact it was the last game in the series that was completely moddable.

The fact that multiplayer battles shined in Shogun 2 demonstrates the mechanical polish of the game, as it's the combat engine being able to render interesting and exciting battles that make sense which is the real litmus test of Total War. It's the reason why Rome 2 is so anticipated, because the mechanical supremacy of the Shogun 2 approach with the flavour of the Rome approach is a winning combination. The Roman era has flavour and colour in spades, but the game itself is clunky and is mechanically no longer up to standard due to it's age. The engine was released just shy of a decade ago, it's as old as World of Warcraft and KotoR2. While I agree the modders have worked miracles with what they have, better tools and industry development have left them in the dust.

It would be a shame if CA bit off more than they could chew like they did with Empire, because if they do gently caress this up, it's going to be a long time before Rome 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shalcar posted:

Yes, I'm clearly arguing for all units to be replaced by a single one called "People". It's because I hate fun. You sure you wouldn't rather be posting on TWC?

Or perhaps I'm arguing that after a certain point, unit variety has a greater negative impact on the game as a whole than any positives gained from the extra variety. Unit variety doesn't exist in a vacuum, it adds additional balancing needs and additional learning from the player. This is in a game that already has difficulty with both unit balance (multiplayer primarily) and with the learning curve for new players (even experienced Total War players). If the unit doesn't have a unique role on the battlefield, it will be used in the same manner as the existing unit and so doesn't actually gain you anything, gameplay wise.

You're still wrong. Roma Surrectum really bloated their roster in almost comical ways, but EB managed to give each region (not factions) a diverse and rich roster while never falling into over-doing it.

Each region had a levee, a low, medium and high tiered spearman and two or three axe or sword wielding units with also degrees of quality + whichever horse units with a unique battle propose.

I never played Shogun nor did i ever touch Napoleon after the free weekend because playing with clone armies with one or two different units is as fascinating as watching paint dry. It's also one of the reasons Medieval II was criticized when it was released. Is it really fun to have entire campaigns where every side is composed of sargeant spearmen + feudal knights? That's boring as poo poo.

EB is really liked not just because of :sperg:, it made a massive rebalance to the game itself. You can not only play with any faction and be sucessful because of the unit changes but you can also play as REGIONAL units and still kick rear end. That's the way i'd like Rome II to go in, with local varieties to supplement your advancing campaign armies. I won't lose much sleep if that's not the case but it's absurd to attack a classical-based game for having unit variety. It's the main reason why this era is exelent for these kind of games, every region had different cultures and approaches to war. EB "translated" this to change the barbarian factions from "guys with no shirts with one or two unique units" to light, ambush based Iberians, wild freemen Germans and a mix between the wildness of the Germans with the professionalism of Rome to make kickass Gaul factions.

But sure, the road this game needs to go is the Starcraft way and have the gauls be composed of 6 specialized units to appease the multiplayer gods, even if the majority of the playerbase probably only plays Single-player :downs:

shalcar posted:

It would be a shame if CA bit off more than they could chew like they did with Empire, because if they do gently caress this up, it's going to be a long time before Rome 3.
They didn't bit more than they could chew with Empire. I don't they bothered biting at all, looking at how bad the game was.