Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

What I mean is that they're expanding the line too quickly (in my opinion). If you bought the core set and one of each expansion that's around $160 of product in the span of a year. Obviously individual experience could be lower or higher (sales drive it lower, people who bought multiple cores/expansions drive it higher) but that's a reasonable estimate for a fan of this game. I just feel like I'm being milked a tad and they could slow it down a bit.

And that's not even getting into the burnout potential when they run out of ships that anyone cares about. X-Wing Miniatures is still a fresh game and they're already reduced to some crap called the "Moldy Crow" from the EU (ugh) to fill out the four slots. What they hell are they going to release for wave 4? After wave 3 they will have already exhausted any recognizable ships from the movies. They'll have to go into the prequels or the EU.

Knowing FFG, its more than likely that Wave 3 will be delayed a bit, and probably will hit either around the holiday season or early 2014. Plenty of time to save up for it. Also, players are under no obligation to buy every single ship that comes out. If you are, that's great, more power to you, but you're not required to.

As to the EU comments: They haven't run out of ships that anyone cares about. I haven't seen a V-Wing, an Aleph-One, a TIE Defender, or a Skipray blastboat. All of those are ships I care about. Also, its not like the Moldy Crow is the first bit of EU to make its way into the game. A huge number of the Pilot cards are EU characters. Baron Soontir Fel and Tycho Celchu were not in any of the movies, but they're on pilot cards. They could have stuck with nothing but Luke, Han, Wedge, Vader, whatever and filled out the rest of the pilot cards with even more unnamed "_______ Squadron Pilot" cards, but they chose to mine the EU for some appropriate names. The Slave I and Millennium Falcon sets come with 'default' designations of Firespray-31 and YT-1300. Model numbers straight from the EU.

As to the HWK-290/Moldy Crow, if nothing else, they went with a 'classic' EU ship, from a beloved 90s video game, rather than something from the Clone Wars show or something. If you don't want a HWK-290 in your squad, don't buy it, but don't hate on the people who are excited for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The Moldy Crow is the ship that drops you off for every mission in the Dark Forces games. I for one am PSYCHED to see it in the game! Plus the EU has a strong following, and plenty of additional options for ships. Stuff I'd like to see for Wave 4 would be things like the Skipray Blastboat, StarViper fighter, IG88 or Bossk's ships, the E-wing, TIE defender, etc. There is still plenty of life left in the line and if they get the OK to expand to whatever new movies come out they'll be set for a good long while.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Chomp8645 posted:

What I mean is that they're expanding the line too quickly (in my opinion).

It's only a problem if you're OCD about buying stuff. For everybody else it's awesome.

Chomp8645 posted:

And that's not even getting into the burnout potential when they run out of ships that anyone cares about. X-Wing Miniatures is still a fresh game and they're already reduced to some crap called the "Moldy Crow" from the EU (ugh) to fill out the four slots. What they hell are they going to release for wave 4? After wave 3 they will have already exhausted any recognizable ships from the movies. They'll have to go into the prequels or the EU.

Who cares? Everybody knew there were only 10 or so iconic OT. ships. How does the moldy crow devalue the other ships in the line? It's like you're just searching for poo poo to complain about.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some better pics here

Really interested to see how the Shuttle and EU ship play and their pilots.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

zVxTeflon posted:

Some better pics here

Really interested to see how the Shuttle and EU ship play and their pilots.

I find the little elbow bend connector they're using on the B-Wing very interesting.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Most important thing: The Lambda wings fold appropriately. This makes me more pleased than anything else about this news. :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I came in 3rd at my regional... out of 4 :negative:

I made a ton of mistakes and I'm a bad player, but there was another new guy there who also had some troubles who I beat with Lando / Biggs / Gold Squadron YW.

I got a cool patch to put on my bag, and dice bag, and some Focus tokens. It was a blast, and I found out where the XWM players play in my area, so I am happy I did it.

Also, really pumped for Kyle Katarn's ship. Not sure about the Lambda. Bomber and B-Wing look boss as heck.

edit:

alg fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 4, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Most important thing: The Lambda wings fold appropriately.

Literally the most important thing. :swoon:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wow...those lambda stats. Thats, really tanky for the amount of points it costs. Wonder what the shuttle ships will be priced at. Any Bwing/Bomber card pics?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Wow, amazed they picked the dark forces ship.. Makes my inner nerd very happy. The shuttle though? Hell yes.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The one big three small ship thing makes me even more hopeful for a wave 4 viper

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I be the maneuver dial for the shuttle is laughable; what a tank though!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I kind of wish the Lambda were for both factions and it could be used as Tydirium with Chewie piloting and a special upgrade called Fly Casual.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Acinonyx posted:

I be the maneuver dial for the shuttle is laughable; what a tank though!

The thing about large ships is that even with a laughable maneuver dial they can still book it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im curious to see how people are gonna use the HWK. The stats really leave something to be desired.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

zVxTeflon posted:

Im curious to see how people are gonna use the HWK. The stats really leave something to be desired.

The abilities make it look like it's mostly useful as a support ship in a really big game. At 100 points I need something that's good enough to blow up TIEs on its own rather than a ship that buffs others, especially as an active ability.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Eh, it's got a turret hard point so I'm guessing that's going to make up for its marginal damage output, either with an ion turret or a new turret which it seems likely to get.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I was thinking about this today and, as terrible as the prequels are in general, I actually like a lot of the ships in them. Especially those proto x wings in three. I wouldn't mind having those, or Darth Maul's ship.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Yawgmoft posted:

I was thinking about this today and, as terrible as the prequels are in general, I actually like a lot of the ships in them. Especially those proto x wings in three. I wouldn't mind having those, or Darth Maul's ship.

All but the droid ships, they're laughably crap.. I kinda like the jedi starfighters but then they look comparable to an a-wing so nothing new or exciting there :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

The Clone Wars had awesome ships, too. Old Y-Wings :allears:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gonna buy the gently caress out of Wave 3

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

The Jan Ors text is not an action, it appears to be an activated ability. I bet they release a new crew member that manipulates or removes stress tokens, such as "Action: remove one stress token." Wedge with 4 attack dice would be lethal, and he only has to be within Range 3 of the HWK. Or increase some missiles to 5 attack dice. I bet it will make the B-wing an absolute powerhouse. So it might be worth those ~30 points.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4116

holy moly.

Some of these upgrades look amazing.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Got to see the ships in person at the Regional at FFG in MN today, they look really nice! I'm in 3rd for the top 8 going into tomorrow, lost one game, my last, to the current world champion, so that was pretty neat.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I really hope they re-print wave 1 around the same time. I WANT TO GIVE YOU ALL MY MONEY FFG!

Oh, and Wave 5 should be a Star Destroyer and a MonCal Cruiser or Corvette Cruiser

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Yawgmoft posted:

I'd actually like to see repaints with new pilots and upgrades before prequel stuff. There's already a whole ton of list building variety, and wave 3 is going to add even more. I don't know that prequel ships would really bring anything interesting to the table since they mostly fit the same archetypes as ships in the original trilogy. I'd really love to see a whole wave of mercenary ships that can be used by either side, but it feels like if they didn't already jump on the Z-95 for something like that then it's probably not going to happen.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

The new ships look really good for their point costs. I do wonder if there is some power creep here.

I have played only a few games, so I am not sure how good the B-wing and TIE bomber are compared to X-wings and TIE fighters. In theory, of course, as we do not know their maneuvering dials.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
B-Wings look roughly similar to Y-Wings, no turret but 3 attack dice means they're slightly different in practice though. the big thing that's going to really make them good is Barrel Roll. That skill is amazing, and with the various synergy skills and pilots I think B-Wings might be pretty awesome. 1 agility is still going to hurt, though, I doubt you'd ever want more than 2 torps/missiles total.

Lambda shuttles look cool, and seem to be filling a 'command' role for Imps that's been lacking so far, which is cool. Hawks look like support but are fragile. Bomber gives Imps something besides lasers. To shoot without taking the x1, but I think it will really depend on how its maneuver dial looks and what else you take with it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Does anyone ahve the VASSAL files for X-wing they could zip up and put on a shared space somewhere? Their site is down, and I want to do some Sunday Experiments.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gonna play in an upcoming tournament with the following rules.

• Need to have 3 separate 125 pt squad builds
  • No duplicate unique pilots/upgrades within the 3 builds
  • Once you lose you cant use that squad again

Was thinking of using the following:

Garven Dreis - R2 astromech 27
Dutch Vander 23
Red Squad X wing 23
Green Squad A wing - Deadeye, Assault missles 25
Outter rim smuggler 27

Wedge - R2D2 33
Chewy - cluster missiles - nien numb - gunner 52
Rookie X wing 21
Green squad A wing 19

Han Solo - Push the limit - gunner - MF 55
Biggs R2 astromech 26
Rookie Xwing 21
Gold squad Y wing - ion cannon 23

Any thoughts on the lists? The no duplicates rule is kinda throwing me im not used to that rule so Im trying to spread out the heavy hitters.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I have never used expert handling on my X-wings before. But I did get to try out the Imperials yesterday for the first time with a mixed list of Interceptor, Advanced and normal TIE fighters.

Barrel roll is awesome.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've owned the starter set for this for a few months and finally got to break it out and go all out as an Imperial. My god, this game is really, really fun. I just wish a local game store actually played it at some point during the week. Gotta make the rounds to all the FLGS and see.

So I've noticed that I've already lost the 5 movement template, is the only way to get that replacement (and possibly more dice) to grab a new starter set?

Also I have like $50 in Amazon credits. I field both sides, what should I buy? I was thinking about Falcon + Slave I because I love them both. Currently here's what I've got:

2x TIE Fighters (not with the expansion set)
2x X-Wings (one from the expansion)
1x TIE Advanced

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SquadronROE posted:

I've owned the starter set for this for a few months and finally got to break it out and go all out as an Imperial. My god, this game is really, really fun. I just wish a local game store actually played it at some point during the week. Gotta make the rounds to all the FLGS and see.

So I've noticed that I've already lost the 5 movement template, is the only way to get that replacement (and possibly more dice) to grab a new starter set?

Also I have like $50 in Amazon credits. I field both sides, what should I buy? I was thinking about Falcon + Slave I because I love them both. Currently here's what I've got:

2x TIE Fighters (not with the expansion set)
2x X-Wings (one from the expansion)
1x TIE Advanced

There are companies selling replacement templates, but they're usually plastic and about as expensive as just buying another starter set. I'd guess there's a file on BGG that has the 5 template shape so you could just make your own. FFG sells dice packs separately.

Honestly, based on what you have now, I'd say you'd be way better off buying some more small ships. The basics TIEs expansions both have upgrade cards not in the base set, and you don't have a Y-Wing, or Interceptor, or A-Wing. The game really needs 4-5 Imperial ships in a 100pt list to work well.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SquadronROE posted:

Also I have like $50 in Amazon credits. I field both sides, what should I buy? I was thinking about Falcon + Slave I because I love them both.

If you didn't already have two X-wings, I'd honestly recommend getting a second starter set. For a while I had three TIEs, an Interceptor, and an Advanced, and at anything over 80 points it felt as if there was really very little room for interesting variety on the Imperial side. I pretty much just play with friends and we share one pool of ships, so being able to make a lot of different lists for both sides was a pretty big issue for me. More TIEs is always a good thing if you want to play around with different Imperial lists, while Rebels have a lot more options with fewer ships.

And if you haven't seen it already, you might want to check out the squadron builder here. You can get a feel for what sorts of lists are available with a larger variety of ships and upgrades and use that to help you decide what to buy.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

If you didn't already have two X-wings, I'd honestly recommend getting a second starter set. For a while I had three TIEs, an Interceptor, and an Advanced, and at anything over 80 points it felt as if there was really very little room for interesting variety on the Imperial side. I pretty much just play with friends and we share one pool of ships, so being able to make a lot of different lists for both sides was a pretty big issue for me. More TIEs is always a good thing if you want to play around with different Imperial lists, while Rebels have a lot more options with fewer ships.

And if you haven't seen it already, you might want to check out the squadron builder here. You can get a feel for what sorts of lists are available with a larger variety of ships and upgrades and use that to help you decide what to buy.

Wow, that is amazing. Goodbye, productivity! Also, I think I'll use my Amazon credit to pick up another starter set. I need the extra dice and such anyway. With any left over I'll pick up some sort of travel case for the mini's. It looks like the Plano seems to work the best?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I'm new to the game but I bought a bunch of stuff because I'm addicted to cardboard and plastic. I've played one quick start game but I've got:

2x Starters
1x X-Wing
1x Y-Wing
1x Falcon
1x TIE
1x TIE Adv
1x Slave-1

Well, I've finally got some of the board gaming group interested and it looks like it's actually going to hit the table but I have no idea what's good. Any help from bored goons? Ideally I'd like to have 4 prebuilt squads that'd be relatively balanced against each other for kind of a demo night thing. Just playing around with the builder that was just posted it looks like 75 pts or so is probably my sweet spot.

Here's a stab at it anyway:

Vader + Squad Leader
Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics
Academy Pilot
Academy Pilot

Krassis Trelix + Homing Missiles + Ion Cannon
Mauler Mithel + Swarm Tactics
Academy Pilot

Biggs Darklighter + R2-D2
Rookie Pilot
Grey Squadron Pilot + Ion Cannon Turret

Chewbacca
Wedge Antilles + Proton Torpedoes

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
One of my favorite terrain manufacturers is now making MDF maneuver templates.
http://store.gcmshop.com/p/1930/star-wars-x-wing-maneuver-templates

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

You are terrible at not getting me to spend money.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have actually been thinking about getting a set of these.
They are larger but there are less of them
http://www.litko.net/products/Space-Fighter,-Maneuver-Gauge-Set-(4).html#.UaqXW0C1FWY

I can get them for much less, if anyone wants in on my next order.
$20 + Shipping, which would be dirt cheap, flat rate USPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Fitting single ones on the board is a chore already, can't imagine actually being able to ever place those things down without knocking over a half-dozen models.

• Locked thread