Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
What about Monster Fluid? I think I read something about poisoning... something, or something. Bah. Where would I get that?

Edit: Also, switching from Longsword to Switch Axe. Seems like a much more fun weapon.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Monster Fluid, Broth (HR), and Essence (G) drops off the ants, the flying bugs, and the little giggi. You can poison the bugs so that they leave a corpse behind to carve. It's better to just make a poison bomb (Toadstool + Bomb casing) than to use a poison weapon since the poison has to kill them for it to work. The ants can also sometimes drop some if you kill them after they've eaten (They have colored abdomen), but it's a small chance. Best bet is to kill Giggi in the mining cave.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quaunaut posted:

Right, I've already done several cap quests- but I was wanting to cap monsters on kill quests, for the extra rewards.

You can capture monsters during normal "hunt" quests and still complete the quest. In fact, it's usually the better option since you get more stuff.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IrxSLmFWvU

Interesting stuff.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The comments in that video mention some kind of HBG glitch? What are we watching here? A crazy Aby Lagi HBG build?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
When you're underwater, rolling then entering siege mode from the roll allows you to fire any kind of ammo you want, even if your HBG doesn't normally support firing it in siege mode.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 4, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

RuBisCO posted:

Solo'd g-rank jhen after several failed attemps and a gruelling 30 minute battle.

Carved 8 rockskins.

Absolutely nothing of worth in rewards screen.

Monster hunter.

Solo'd Hallowed Jhen after a single try.

Carved 2 Dragonsphires.

Monster Hunter :unsmith:.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
What's the point of capturing a monster in free roam? Just the resources? Any chance of getting good stuff from the item box, or...?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quaunaut posted:

What's the point of capturing a monster in free roam? Just the resources? Any chance of getting good stuff from the item box, or...?

More resources and a somewhat better shot at rare trade items, where applicable.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Ciaphas posted:

More resources and a somewhat better shot at rare trade items, where applicable.

Is there something I can spend resources on? It feels like I've always got a ton. I know they go to villager requests, but is there anything else?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quaunaut posted:

Is there something I can spend resources on? It feels like I've always got a ton. I know they go to villager requests, but is there anything else?

Eventually you start unlocking the boat fleet (not hugely expensive) and the farm (ranges from a pittance to :stare:), both of which take resources to run.

I'd rather spend :stare: to get Thunderbugs and Flashbugs than farm them personally though (or wait for the lady) :v:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

quaunaut posted:

When you want to send the boats out or grow things on the farm they cost resources.

Rare trade items can buy upgrades, cha-cha masks/abilities, and items for your house.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

What is the absolute easiest weapon to cut tails with especially underwater? I gave up trying to cut Lagi's tail after 10 minutes with a GS and getting like 1 swing at it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

What is the absolute easiest weapon to cut tails with especially underwater? I gave up trying to cut Lagi's tail after 10 minutes with a GS and getting like 1 swing at it.

Underwater, the lance is widely held to be King poo poo of The Mountains High, and for good reason, but personally I always had better luck with the Switch Axe when I absolutely loving have to have that cut, either above or under water.

vv Underwater the lance Don Quixote Charge gives you such ludicrous mobility. That and multiple dodges at a time.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 4, 2013

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Is lance much different than gunlance? because I tried with my new gunlance too and it went just about as well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

Is lance much different than gunlance? because I tried with my new gunlance too and it went just about as well.

The big difference when underwater is that the lance charge attack propels you through the water like a torpedo. Meaning you can evade pretty much anything.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
The meetup today in London was pretty great - I went from HR1 to HR3 in a couple of hours. It's so much easier when people are helping you out. The monsters are really getting huge now. Druamboros is (a) massive (rear end in a top hat), Agnaktor is like a Legend of Zelda boss, and I got to help out on someone doing the Brachydios quest, where I realise that my armour is no longer appropriate, and monsters can now kill me in two hits.

My next target is to kill Duramboros on my own, then work out how to get Hecudrones. Smartest guess is that they're a High Rank-only gather.

RADmadness
Feb 17, 2011

Is there some sort of armor skill that loads shot instantly when you switch types?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Six Of Spades posted:

My next target is to kill Duramboros on my own, then work out how to get Hecudrones. Smartest guess is that they're a High Rank-only gather.
Best place for Hercudromes is the High Rank Flooded Forest. Luckily, if you got to HR3 on the port you'll have Gather quests that you can do independent of the Village. Look in areas 2, 4, 7, and 10.

In other news, look what finally came today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Where did you get that? I want to pick it up.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/list/categoryID.53786900/monster-hunter.html

It says the XL one is sold out, but as you can see you can order the second run of the regular size 3DS version so I bet they'll do a second run of the XL version soon.

I wish I could get that Monster Hunter Illustrations book but I think it's out of print and gone for good.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Boco_T posted:

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/list/categoryID.53786900/monster-hunter.html

It says the XL one is sold out, but as you can see you can order the second run of the regular size 3DS version so I bet they'll do a second run of the XL version soon.

I wish I could get that Monster Hunter Illustrations book but I think it's out of print and gone for good.

I have the Illustrations book. It's awesome. The insect staff weapon for MH4 is an older idea the devs talk about a bit in the book. There's a ton of unused ideas, mostly just weapon models and skins though. If you just want the pretty pictures, you might be able to find the Japanese ones without spending too much. They include a soft case to hold the book as well as a B&W book full of sketches. Illustrations covers Generation 1 and 2, while the second book (Currently only available in Japanese, may or may not stay that way) covers all of Generation 3.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Boco_T posted:

I've got good news for you.

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/tag/monster-hunter-illustrations/

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Konig posted:

A couple dozen pages ago someone linked a new-ish database of all the carves and items and such in MH3U. It was made by one dude, and it was SO much better set out than the god-awful wiki.

Oh whew, I thought it was just me who felt the wiki was god-awful. I can't make heads or tails out of some of the pages. And where are the absurdly in-depth character pages on Neko (Means 'Cat') and the Guild Sweetheart? :colbert:

The index is a lot more helpful, thanks to whoever linked it. Been using it now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

nerdbot posted:

Oh whew, I thought it was just me who felt the wiki was god-awful. I can't make heads or tails out of some of the pages. And where are the absurdly in-depth character pages on Neko (Means 'Cat') and the Guild Sweetheart? :colbert:

The wiki would be a he'll of a lot more useful if it would split info out by the different games, and had a few simple reference pages.

And, you know, wasn't set up by a monkey with brain damage.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

So what the hell do I have to do to break this douchebag's beard? I was pounding on it the entire swim with an 832 attack hammer. Well the entire time I wasn't getting knocked around by his huge rear end fins at least.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Awesome! posted:

So what the hell do I have to do to break this douchebag's beard? I was pounding on it the entire swim with an 832 attack hammer. Well the entire time I wasn't getting knocked around by his huge rear end fins at least.

Hammers don't tend to work well in underwater. Use the lance.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

Solo'd Hallowed Jhen after a single try.

Carved 2 Dragonsphires.

Monster Hunter :unsmith:.

I'm assuming same build you used to beat regular jhen? I really don't want to fight Ceadeus at all, so I'll just wait for Savage Jho DLC and make Vangis for Sharpness + 1. I'm way too burned out on Monster Hunter at this point.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

ZTeamIsDead posted:

I beg to differ. Every weapon works relatively well underwater, it's just a matter of learning how to use them underwater after using them on land for so long. Lance may get more mobility underwater from the torpedo charge, but hammer especially gains a lot from being able to move in 3 dimension in the "ease of bashing things in the head" category as well.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So I've never seen this before, but it should probably be in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I would just like to say gently caress fighting Duramboros forever. I just need one more tailcase for a weapon upgrade and I don't know if I've got the strength of will to keep fighting for it. I just want the next water S&S. :(

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm assuming same build you used to beat regular jhen? I really don't want to fight Ceadeus at all, so I'll just wait for Savage Jho DLC and make Vangis for Sharpness + 1. I'm way too burned out on Monster Hunter at this point.

Yes sir. Hallowed Jhen is much, much easier than normal G-rank Jhen. It's a 30 minute time limit so it has a lot less HP and, if all else fails, its easier to repel it.

It's more or less the same fight, only it's phase 1 attack patterns are completely different and during phase 2, it loving books it to the ship.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I had some connection trouble that left me alone fighting goldbeard for some pubbie's urgent quest after everybody else disappeared five minutes into the fight :gonk: I'm only HR5, drat it.

Managed to kill him anyway :owned:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goldbeard wasn't too bad, though it did take me a clean 30 minutes to down him in my first go.

I'll admit he seems to have much better aim than the regular Ceadeus.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
I've got a weapon that paralyses monsters on occasion, and the animation is exactly that of the shock trap. If a monster's at a capturable health, am I able to use that paralysis (as long as it decides to trigger) and tranq him while he's paralysed by my weapon?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quaunaut posted:

I've been thinking this for a while. It really should be part of the blurb about great swords.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Konig posted:

I've got a weapon that paralyses monsters on occasion, and the animation is exactly that of the shock trap. If a monster's at a capturable health, am I able to use that paralysis (as long as it decides to trigger) and tranq him while he's paralysed by my weapon?

No, you can't tranq a monster when they're paralysed via a weapon. You'd need really good timing to get a paralysis to go off when they're weak, too.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

quaunaut posted:

Curse you, I watched that video while waiting for my mission to end, and ended up losing all my drops! At least it was only a Royal Ludroth.

VVVVV I ended up using a switch axe, with it's overhead swings I could just sit under his chin and go nuts, it was the first thing I broke.

Konig fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 5, 2013

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ZTeamIsDead posted:

Couldn't do it with a lance either. Welp gently caress this guy and his stupid loving beard. Gonna go play zelda or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Went to a meetup in LA today, all pretty cool guys who were all surprisingly far in the game. It was nice having some local co-op going and getting a little further in HR6. Also gently caress Gold SeaDoo fur.

Edit: Also, is there any other belt other than Vangis that someone can recommend for the helios set? I have all the pieces except for belt and remember reading people were subbing in another belt to avoid the -10 sharpness.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 5, 2013

• Locked thread