Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
of bees
Dec 28, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

In conclusion, don't grow paddy crops.

Or only grow paddy crops specifically if you need them for a recipe for a festival or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Does anyone have any bamboo they'd be willing to trade? I have a huge list of items I can give in return, but I don't want to do a super long post and spam up the thread so I'll send it privately.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
So my first impressions in Grand Bazaar...
The bazaar is really fun, I don't even mind stocking up throughout the week because it gives me something to look forward to. However, the seeds are so drat expensive (only one seed per buy, huh?!), and it feels like a goal such as 40000 is really difficult. I also can't stand the bachelors in this game, and the fact Dirk actually looks childlike just creeps me out. I find the others are just boring and I can't get into the idea of wooing any of them. I'm enjoying it, but I see what people mean about it being boring.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Toriori posted:

and the fact Dirk actually looks childlike just creeps me out.
It's important to remember actual children play this game too. HM romantic interest NPCs and the player characters have always looked quite young (though Dirk a little more than usual) and I've always assumed it's because of the player base being young too.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Eruonen posted:

It's important to remember actual children play this game too. HM romantic interest NPCs and the player characters have always looked quite young (though Dirk a little more than usual) and I've always assumed it's because of the player base being young too.

Stupid kids playing MY farming simulator!
You're right though, I think it's just weird because the character design is a little inconsistent in that respect for me. The bachelors in Bazaar don't look 'chibi' like Back to Nature, but they don't look a little older like in New Beginning. This might just be me though, I don't know. Mind you, I really don't find any of the bachelors all the interesting in this one. Again, I do like this game but every Harvest Moon has its quirks.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bazaar is kind of a special case, since everyone looks like babies.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

That's one thing I really do like about A New Beginning- the bachelors all pretty much look like adults.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
If at some point you missed out on getting a cow plush from some preorder or another, sites such as ThinkGeek and Entertainment Earth are selling the large one now.

In less :3: news, XSEED confirmed the July release date for RF4 is indeed a placeholder. The localization is currently in the first phase of editing and QA, and they hope to release the game close to that date if possible.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Does anyone have a spare sturgeon fish?

Katina
May 3, 2009
I haven't played a Harvest Moon game since A Wonderful Life on GC and my absolute favourite HM game is Back to Nature. I'm getting a 3DS soon and wanna play some Harvest Moon on it but since I'm in the UK I can't get hold of the latest one. Which DS title would you guys recommend?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Of the main series
- skip Harvest Moon DS, it was good for bringing the series to DS but plagued with some incredibly horrible bugs (game freezing most notably, and a rare number have had their save corrupted) and a memory leak on the original release so it eventually freezes if you play for more than a couple hours
- skip Island of Happiness; touchscreen only was a terrible idea
- go directly to Sunshine Islands, it takes Island of Happiness and refines the control scheme and was my go-to for the longest time
- can't speak directly about Tale of Two Towns or Grand Bazaar but they seem to be worthwhile plays for what they try to add to the formula (greater expansion focus in Two Towns, wheeling and dealing your goods in Grand Bazaar).

For Rune Factory just skip to Rune Factory 3. They're all equally anime but this one refined all the work before to something extremely streamlined and fun. Maybe play Rune Factory first to see how it started out and have a greater appreciation for the changes when you get to the third?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I really, really enjoyed Tale of Two Towns, just for the fact you could choose to run an animal-centered ranch or plant-centered farm, but could also do a little of the other and use the space of both.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I always liked Harvest Moon DS despite the bugs. It was like a crazy broken version of Friends of Mineral Town with a ridiculously deep mine. I could be wrong, but the European version of Harvest Moon DS might not be glitchy, though with the con of not being able to link up with FoTM, which isn't that big of a loss. The initial American version was notoriously glitchy, though eventually a fixed version that got rid of nearly all the glitches was released.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

HM:TTT is good, but the days take too long unless you go to the mountains every single day which is tedious. It gets better once you get the owl and much better once you open up the tunnel but it takes a while to get there.

Allarion posted:

I always liked Harvest Moon DS despite the bugs. It was like a crazy broken version of Friends of Mineral Town with a ridiculously deep mine. I could be wrong, but the European version of Harvest Moon DS might not be glitchy, though with the con of not being able to link up with FoTM, which isn't that big of a loss. The initial American version was notoriously glitchy, though eventually a fixed version that got rid of nearly all the glitches was released.

The European version is less glitchy than the US version, AFAIK, but still glitchy (in my experience).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Harvest Moon DS for Girls pretty much cleaned up all the nastier bugs. Not sure if they also got rid of the Sprites fishing in a certain spot in Winter shipping in the maximum amount of money you could hold. That was a fun surprise. Even after buying the Island cottage you still have more money than you know what to do with.

Looking at your TV at 4:44 though was just mean. Too much of a coincidence for it to be a bug.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The 4:44 is a prank/ easter egg in the Japanese version where the game locks up for a few seconds. Natsume somehow screwed up the code so the game locks up permanently instead of only being a few seconds.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
More Friends of Mineral town in my favourite Harvest Moon. I recommend skipping Grand Bazaar unless you really like the series because it is truly boring.
E: with the exception of bazaar days

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Anyone got mangoes, blue roses, grapes, and/or non-great suffolk sheep I can shear?

I've got all herbs at 5 stars, all fruit at 5 stars except mangos and grapes (I somehow missed planting grapes, don't have mangos), and most crops at 4 or better. I've also got animals producing Great of the following: milk, wool, llama wool, alpaca wool, yak milk. I may even consider trading one of my precious 5 star rices.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
So apparently A New Beginning just got a rating in Germany and Australia for a PAL region release (UK to follow, I guess). It's about time someone published it over here. Zen are doing it instead of Rising Star Games.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I just got through the first month in New Beginning and I'm beginning to really hate Dunhill. I wish they could have made someone nicer for the de facto village mayor.

ZVeronikas
May 19, 2013
THERE WAS A SHILL HERE. IT'S GONE NOW.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Did you seriously pay :10bux: just to advertise that here?

:frogout:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did you seriously pay :10bux: just to advertise that here?

:frogout:

I really hope not, because there is no :frogout: big enough if that's the case. I'm not even sure where to start with critiques and suggestions.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 14, 2017

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I just got through the first month in New Beginning and I'm beginning to really hate Dunhill. I wish they could have made someone nicer for the de facto village mayor.

At least they didn't stick him with something like the doctor's personality. That dude's a prick sometimes. Well, most of the time actually.

I took a break from playing it, whenever I start back up I need to get engaged to Iroha or Felicity. Not sure who I'll choose yet, but I like them both. Got a few more things to do for town restoration 5, and maybe play until I have a kid, and then it'll be break time again.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I ended up getting engaged to Sanjay. If anyone needs a five star fruit or yam or something, throw a PM or something and I can give you my code. I might be playing it later this evening since work's wireless is enh.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Anyone have any bottles they can spare in ANB?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RebBrownies posted:

Anyone have any bottles they can spare in ANB?

I could spare a few if you really need it, but it's not too terribly hard to acquire a lot of bottles.

Set up three fishing traps around that region east of town and constantly run in a circle around them. It's the fastest way to trap fish and you can get multiple bottles per catch.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Met posted:

I could spare a few if you really need it, but it's not too terribly hard to acquire a lot of bottles.

Set up three fishing traps around that region east of town and constantly run in a circle around them. It's the fastest way to trap fish and you can get multiple bottles per catch.

Oh sweet! I didn't know you could catch them in traps! Thank you! :D

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cooked fish are also really decent money and an easy way to level up your cooking ability for even more profit. I found myself spending all my free time fishing when I need money. Faster profit before you're able to improve your crops.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
So do I want A tale of two towns, or a new beginning on my 3ds?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
It depends. I'd check out Ushi no Tane's section on them. Though, if you have a 3DS, I'm told Two Towns is rather buggy and has a problem with memory that involves slowing, then freezing.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
New Beginning is straight up good though, and I didn't really notice any gameplay affecting bugs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Full disclosure though, A New Beginning has a slow beginning that doesn't quite pick up until fall of your first year.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Hey, if anyone would be willing to give me some bushes so I can complete renovation #2 I'd just love the heck out of you. These small branches are killing me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Salsa McManus posted:

Hey, if anyone would be willing to give me some bushes so I can complete renovation #2 I'd just love the heck out of you. These small branches are killing me.

How many bushes do you have (count how many you could have with the materials)

I have enough items for 10 of them, but it's a pain in the rear end to transfer that many items.

You can find me on #harvestmoon on Synirc to coordinate.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

:toot: Woo! A New Beginning is finally going to release for us poor euros.
In almost half a year, q3 2013.

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013
To be honest I'm just pleased that we'll be getting it this year. I'm enjoying Tale of Two Towns for now, but A New Beginning looks fantastic.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8_BJFfzA4

New trailer for Hometown Story, the game that Harvest Moon creator Yasuhiro Wada is working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8_BJFfzA4

New trailer for Hometown Story, the game that Harvest Moon creator Yasuhiro Wada is working on.

Looks interesting. Can't say I care for the narrator though.

• Locked thread