Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Didn't the old James Bond movies, like, just come back up a month or two ago? I know they've already popped up and disappeared a couple of times; I think one of my older posts in this thread is "hey guys, classic Bond is coming soon!" back when instantwatcher had its Coming Soon feature.

edit because my old posts aren't worth making a new post: yep, then went up in September 2011... and back down on October 1, 2011. :negative:

Cockblocktopus has a new favorite as of 03:34 on May 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I don't mean to get all :goonsay: about my animes, but does anyone know why the dubs of the Netflix version of Trinity Blood are different than the DVD release? It's like building a bridge, waiting a year, and then tearing it down and replacing it with a functionally identical but shittier-looking bridge (my god, poor Father Tres). What's even stranger about it is that the episodes have otherwise gone unchanged, even retaining the original Funimation credits.

Speaking of animes,which ones don't come dubbed? I sort of want to get back in to watching a bit, but, err...I'm not a fan of dubbing.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FadingChord posted:

Didn't the old James Bond movies, like, just come back up a month or two ago? I know they've already popped up and disappeared a couple of times; I think one of my older posts in this thread is "hey guys, classic Bond is coming soon!" back when instantwatcher had its Coming Soon feature.

They definitely came back up VERY recently. I am reading through the novel's and was excited to watch through them when I was done.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Yeah, I just readded them about two weeks ago. All the Roger Moore era ones were stuttering weirdly for whatever reason.

Really sucks to see this whole chunk just gone.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I think the people that don't like Netflix because it doesn't have "current stuff" will never be happy. The licensing money required to make ongoing deals with all the major studios and networks is simply prohibitive, not to mention every company is trying to start its own ill-advised fiefdom of internet streaming.

The only way for Netflix to survive is to break free of being a middle-man and produce its own content. I think there's a lot of movies and indies / foreign films and less popular TV that are well served by the Netflix service and who wouldn't see good internet distribution otherwise. But realistically the brief window when TONS of stuff was on Netflix is gone and will never return.

The customers best served by Netflix now are the types who used to go into movie stores not thinking "Where's that movie I want," but rather "This looks interesting! Glad I wandered the aisles." Would I like Netflix to have as broad a selection as possible? Absolutely. And believe me, they would too. But they're correct that the future is as an originator of content first, not an internet distributor. If anything, all these small streaming services prove it's a lot easier to stream movies than it is to make new, compelling content.

But, as I think the Netflix CEO said, if they can become HBO faster than vice versa, they'll succeed. If their gamble pays off, in five years this could look like one of the smartest decisions they ever made, and maybe even prophetic of the fundamental changes in the way we consume content. While "Quickster" or whatever their DVD spinoff was going to be called has become a punching bag for the media, in light of their push towards streaming original content it becomes clear that they were trying to lay the groundwork for a new brand identity centered around their own material.

OK, great. Good for Netflix. I still want a subscription based service that has everything. And it's more than possible, except, as usual, people don't want to get together and create one thing - they want to divide in the stupidly naive hope that they will become the sole content distributor. So while it may work out for Netflix, it's still a bad decision for the customers.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Luminous posted:

OK, great. Good for Netflix. I still want a subscription based service that has everything. And it's more than possible, except, as usual, people don't want to get together and create one thing - they want to divide in the stupidly naive hope that they will become the sole content distributor. So while it may work out for Netflix, it's still a bad decision for the customers.

It's not Netflix's decision to make.

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
Just watched Safety Not Guaranteed, and maybe it was the stomach flu but I really didn't like it. And I am a HUGE Parks and Rec fan and generally love quirky indie movies.

I'm also starting Fringe. Glad to hear it picks up in the second half of the first season.

I hope Netflix adds the fifth season of Toddlers and Tiaras (yes, I said it)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Desperado Bones posted:

Speaking of animes,which ones don't come dubbed? I sort of want to get back in to watching a bit, but, err...I'm not a fan of dubbing.

The Sky Crawlers is the only thing I've seen recently that isn't dubbed. If you're looking for an anime fix and can tolerate dubs, the classic series Trigun is up, and it's just as great as ever. XXXHolic's dub isn't too bad, either, and neither is Gunslinger Girl's.

However, if you're only tolerating dubs, stay the gently caress away from the following or your goddamn ears will bleed:
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Soul Eater
    Trinity Blood
    (seriously what the gently caress)
    Squid Girl
    Hetalia: Axis Powers
    Blood+

Desert Punk
's dub is iffy for more than just lack of voice acting skill/variety.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I just watched The Terminator again on HBO Go. I still love that movie. I never noticed that Bill Paxton is "Punk Leader" and the gap between his teeth is a mile wide.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also in general don't watch Hetalia because thanks for making the Nazis cute misunderstood loverboys, Japan.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Just watch "John dies at the End." Kinda freaky, pretty good and enjoyable movie though. It feels like it should be way too quirky and slapstick, but it totally isn't.

quote:

Promising a trip that transcends time and space, a drug called Soy Sauce is sweeping the landscape -- and quietly robbing users of their humanity.

This sort of describes the movie. It's an entertaining movie.

Opopanax posted:

Did they take off Jon Benjamin Has a Van? We watched two episodes and got really into it, now I can't find it at all

I think it's on Hulu Plus.

particle409 has a new favorite as of 23:36 on May 5, 2013

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

One of my very favorite movies is Gangs of New York. I just found a TV show on instant called Copper, set in the same time and place. On the first episode now, but so far I quite like it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Sky Crawlers is the only thing I've seen recently that isn't dubbed. If you're looking for an anime fix and can tolerate dubs, the classic series Trigun is up, and it's just as great as ever. XXXHolic's dub isn't too bad, either, and neither is Gunslinger Girl's.

However, if you're only tolerating dubs, stay the gently caress away from the following or your goddamn ears will bleed:
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Soul Eater
    Trinity Blood
    (seriously what the gently caress)
    Squid Girl
    Hetalia: Axis Powers
    Blood+

Desert Punk
's dub is iffy for more than just lack of voice acting skill/variety.

This makes me sad,I liked Fullmetal Alchemist and never finished Trinity Blood :smith: And yes, tried to watch Blood+ but the dubbing made me run away.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
How did I miss Black Butler when compiling that list? It's subbed! drat fine show from beginning to end--it's easily among my favorites.

Speed Grapher is dubbed, but it sounds okay. Some of the characters are a little...off, but none of them are dealbreakers.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Speed Grapher is dubbed, but it sounds okay. Some of the characters are a little...off, but none of them are dealbreakers.

I'm not nearly as anti-dub as you guys, but I refuse to watch the dub of Speed Grapher based on its omission of "Girls on Film" as its theme song.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

As long as netflix keeps Fringe around until I finish binging the gently caress out of it, I'm good if letting contracts expire allow it to produce shows like House of Cards. I tried browsing through instant watcher's list but didn't really see any major shows/movies that I'd miss from these contracts expiring.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Bob's Burgers season 2 is now up :toot:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

10 Beers posted:

One of my very favorite movies is Gangs of New York. I just found a TV show on instant called Copper, set in the same time and place. On the first episode now, but so far I quite like it.

Thanks for the tip. I watched the first two episodes and it seems pretty good. The main guy's quest is a little too righteous, and the world feels small so far. But I look forward to seeing the rest.

The theme song sounds like a different rendition of the Irish punk song (both covers of a traditional I assume) from The Departed. Possible second Scorsese connection.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Twitch posted:

I'm not nearly as anti-dub as you guys, but I refuse to watch the dub of Speed Grapher based on its omission of "Girls on Film" as its theme song.

I'm told that it was a licensing issue--I bought the box set when it came out over here, and "Girls on Film" is absent. It's not even on one of the DVD's as a bonus feature :argh:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
You're probably too young to remember when Andrew Dice Clay was a big enough deal that he was given the freedom to make his own movie, which became The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, Rock and Roll Detective. Its absolutely awful and you should absolutely watch it while its up.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Bob's Burgers season 2 is now up :toot:

Heck yeah, thanks!

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

The greatest Bollywood movie ever is up. Lagaan. It's got Paul Blackthorne!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I believe Cabin in the Woods was only recently put up? If so go watch it now, it's great. It's a light hearted horror movie that's deconstructing the horror genre with all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Don't know when they put it up, but that new Halo movie (Forward into Dawn) that started as a webseries is really good. I'm not much into Halo, but a friend who knows I loves me some sci-fi had me check it out when it first came out and I was very impressed, it's a really well-done movie.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Both The Faculty and Disturbing Behavior are on Instant. So you can basically watch the same movie twice, I suppose.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm not even sure if they are still on there, but Honey & Clover and Death Note are just about the only subbed anime Netflix carries. Use Crunchyroll for subbed shows, both current and past; they have an app for consoles and assorted settop boxes too.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Everyone knows Terminator 2 is up right? I remember being disappointed for months when it was only the first one.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Everyone knows Terminator 2 is up right? I remember being disappointed for months when it was only the first one.

Slice of Life: When I was a young man I would record any movie on tv to VHS on 8hr extended play. The ABC Sunday night movie was the world premiere of T2, and the VCR was set. Btw, BIO-DOME opened the Friday after, unless the commercials were all lying, in case you want a chronology of what was happening when. So, there was some gnarly weather causing the news cut in for half an hour, and then the movie aired from where it stopped. I later recorded CHILD'S PLAY and CLIFFHANGER. T2 stopped early, as did Sly's dud. Years later, poor, it was my longest videotape and just wanting something on in the background, I saw 92% of the movie a good eighty times.

Anyway, my point is that it's not good (TV edit actually improves it) and the first is spectacular so stop complaining, aforementioned people.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

Nobody should ever be disappointed to watch either of the first two Terminators.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I forget if it's been up for awhile, but The Thing (1982) is on streaming. One of my favorite movies ever. It's an engrossing sci-fi/horror flick with Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, and Keith David. Go.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I believe Cabin in the Woods was only recently put up? If so go watch it now, it's great. It's a light hearted horror movie that's deconstructing the horror genre with all sorts of crazy poo poo.

This movie was off-the-wall insane and I loved it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Mescal posted:

Thanks for the tip. I watched the first two episodes and it seems pretty good. The main guy's quest is a little too righteous, and the world feels small so far. But I look forward to seeing the rest.

The theme song sounds like a different rendition of the Irish punk song (both covers of a traditional I assume) from The Departed. Possible second Scorsese connection.

Yeah, I just burned through the whole first season, can't wait for the new stuff this year. Also, the song you're talking about is "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by The Dropkick Murphys.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

BlindNinja posted:

I forget if it's been up for awhile, but The Thing (1982) is on streaming. One of my favorite movies ever. It's an engrossing sci-fi/horror flick with Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, and Keith David. Go.

The Netflix transfer has a weird green band at the top of the frame for the first 30 minutes, but the clarity of the film transfer is otherwise amazing!

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder

Merou posted:

The greatest Bollywood movie ever is up. Lagaan. It's got Paul Blackthorne!

How is it that no one else seems to have watched this film? The male lead is basically Eminem's Indian twin!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
John Dies at the End got added recently and it was a pretty fun romp (though I'd say not to go in expecting exactly what happened in the book).

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
When I saw the entry for Barbarella last weekend the description alone got me curious. What followed was a late 60s masterpiece which went straight to my personal top 10, I can't believe I'd never heard about it before.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Hra Mormo posted:

When I saw the entry for Barbarella last weekend the description alone got me curious. What followed was a late 60s masterpiece which went straight to my personal top 10, I can't believe I'd never heard about it before.

"De-crucify the Angel or I'll melt your face" remains one of my favorite lines in movie history.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The Booth at the End is great. Its on Hulu Plus.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

ImmovableSquid posted:

How is it that no one else seems to have watched this film? The male lead is basically Eminem's Indian twin!

I'm glad it got put up. I bought the PAL special edition and the region doesn't work on my ps3. Gotta watch it on my laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Watched Meek's Cutoff last night, and though it's not for everyone, I would strongly recommend it. It's basically the worst case scenario Oregon Trail game in movie form, and has almost zero dialogue and virtually no characterization. However, it has a great, almost surreal atmosphere, and every single frame of the movie is seriously gorgeous.

• Locked thread