Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Billy Tully posted:

Nice, youre going to love having a diesel when you only have to get fuel every couple weeks. Unless you have a longass commute or something.

I still have to check which side of the car the fuel cap is on...I keep forgetting :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Look at the little arrow beside the fuel pump symbol. In nearly all modern cars it points to the side with the cap :eng101:

Dattserberg posted:

Fortunately for me, I live in small rural town so diesel is pretty easy to come by because of the farmers and people with trucks.

It's weird, I've never been one to just want to take my car out for a drive but now I do.

Get ready to be warned by people that you are filling up with diesel. Little rural towns are always where I have someone come jogging over or wave at me to let me know I'm going to mess up my car, in a friendly way of course. It normally makes for a nice chat and I've had some drat good lunches based off asking them where to pick up a meal.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

The Big Jesus posted:

Yeah there might no be much of a power (in the engineering sense) increase, but I'm sure the torque curve is much better.

That 150 ft/lb is heavily restricted. The VNT-15 in the VE is criminally restricted until you get a chip. Those little guys are good for 21 psi of boost at 2000 rpm for twice the torque when you add chip and injectors. At which point the weak point is the clutch.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Shifty Pony posted:

Look at the little arrow beside the fuel pump symbol. In nearly all modern cars it points to the side with the cap :eng101:

Get ready to be warned by people that you are filling up with diesel. Little rural towns are always where I have someone come jogging over or wave at me to let me know I'm going to mess up my car, in a friendly way of course. It normally makes for a nice chat and I've had some drat good lunches based off asking them where to pick up a meal.

Yea that happened all the time when I had my Beetle. Then the next thing they would ask is if the engine was still in the back, haha.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Haha, yeah I seem to always have to check that little arrow.

I'm still waiting to have the experience of someone warning me about diesel. Guess I'll have to wait until I'm on a road trip somewhere not in a city.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Are there any aftermarket products that you guys would recommend as a must own?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If there are I haven't found them in three years. I would suggest acquainting yourself with the thing that VW calls a jack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NzTeGXlqw

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Dattserberg posted:

Are there any aftermarket products that you guys would recommend as a must own?

Dieselgeek skidplate.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

If there are I haven't found them in three years. I would suggest acquainting yourself with the thing that VW calls a jack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NzTeGXlqw

Remove that loving jack (or leave it) but just go get a AAA membership. There's a reason those things are called widowmakers. I've had one slip on me with perfectly level terrain. Luckily it happened after I already had most of the lugs in the wheel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Remove that loving jack (or leave it) but just go get a AAA membership. There's a reason those things are called widowmakers. I've had one slip on me with perfectly level terrain. Luckily it happened after I already had most of the lugs in the wheel.

I'd just get rid of it and get a bottle jack or a proper floor jack.

I had one of those drop a car on my leg once. Get rid of it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've changed wheels plenty of times with ordinary scissor jacks, but I absolutely refuse to touch VW widowmakers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I haven't looked at my jack, are they still putting those pieces of poo poo in the new models?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yes. I have a harbor freight bottle jack next to mine because I don't trust it.

My '10 Tdi is coming to the end of the warranty period and I was wondering if having a modest ecu tune performed is worth it.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Shifty Pony posted:

Yes. I have a harbor freight bottle jack next to mine because I don't trust it.

My '10 Tdi is coming to the end of the warranty period and I was wondering if having a modest ecu tune performed is worth it.

I happened to check APRs site and see they have a tune for the TDI now. I REALLY liked their GTI tune but wondered if it was worth it with the diesel.

They have a sale knocking $100 bucks off at the moment, taunting me further and just in case you end up checking them out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

qutius posted:

I happened to check APRs site and see they have a tune for the TDI now. I REALLY liked their GTI tune but wondered if it was worth it with the diesel.

They have a sale knocking $100 bucks off at the moment, taunting me further and just in case you end up checking them out.

The early reviews were pretty mediocre. I personally plan on going with either the Malone tune or the one from GIAC.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Aaaand I'm at $250 left to throw at the fucker until I knock it in the head. Supposedly I have a bad gasket on the turbo where the boost pressure control difference is coming from.. I just changed the turbo and gaskets around it 300 miles ago, sooooo I'll see where this one takes me. Probably back hunting for more codes and more money to throw at it..

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

keykey posted:

Aaaand I'm at $250 left to throw at the fucker until I knock it in the head. Supposedly I have a bad gasket on the turbo where the boost pressure control difference is coming from.. I just changed the turbo and gaskets around it 300 miles ago, sooooo I'll see where this one takes me. Probably back hunting for more codes and more money to throw at it..

Have you checked/replaced this hose? Also I think there's a similar one to the right of it that you can't see in this picture.

I was getting that code on my 98 TDI and hunting down all sorts of stupid stuff until Kastein noticed a huge rip down the center. We patched it with duct tape, an aluminum can, and hose clamps until I could get a replacement.

Edit: Maybe there's not another hose next to it.

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 23, 2013

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'll check that out when I get home tonight, though I have taken that pipe off a couple times to clean the intake manifold/EGR and didn't notice anything wrong. Something new could have developed which wouldn't surprise me at this point.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

qutius posted:

APR has great tunes for gassers. If possible go with Malone, also Revo has a decent tune for the TDI. Don't expect a lot though, the emissions equipment on the car strangles it more than the tune. Also, if you do tune and have DSG you'll want to get a tune for that also.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

fknlo posted:

The early reviews were pretty mediocre. I personally plan on going with either the Malone tune or the one from GIAC.

veedubfreak posted:

APR has great tunes for gassers. If possible go with Malone, also Revo has a decent tune for the TDI. Don't expect a lot though, the emissions equipment on the car strangles it more than the tune. Also, if you do tune and have DSG you'll want to get a tune for that also.

Good to know - thanks gents!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

veedubfreak posted:

Meh, in that case I don't think I'll bother with it. I'll have the 7.3 (which is already tuned) to gently caress around with if I want silly power.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

CommieGIR posted:

I'd just get rid of it and get a bottle jack or a proper floor jack.

I had one of those drop a car on my leg once. Get rid of it.

Picked up a bottle jack on Amazon just now. Now considering the skidplate. Have others had issues with the Jetta bottoming out?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dattserberg posted:

Picked up a bottle jack on Amazon just now. Now considering the skidplate. Have others had issues with the Jetta bottoming out?

No, but its better than the plastic shield they provide for a skidplate. I want to say you can go with that one or the Panzerplate

http://www.dieselgeek.com/MK4_Panzer_Skid_Plate_with_Full_Metal_Jacket_p/pp-dlxmk4.htm

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've heard nothing but good things about that skidplate. I looked into getting one for my car but I couldn't find much for an A3 Jetta. The height of the oil pan isn't very far removed from the bottom of the front bumper/grille, so solid objects can easily tear a hole in it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you know a tinsmith who's relatively handy with a measuring tape you could probably get a custom one banged out with a few hours on a lift.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Back for more. I checked out the pipe coming off the intake manifold and that's perfectly fine. I got the car back, installed the part yesterday and still goes limp. I got quoted 2 labor hours to unplug an air hose, vacuum line, random plug, take 3 bolts out, remove the turbo inlet pipe, remove the rubber gasket, install a new one then put it back together. Basically something that took me 30 minutes at home. But it's still doing the same thing.. So back to dealership to pull more codes with their vag. On the plus side, it took 10 minutes of driving for it to kick this time instead of the usual 30 seconds under the same conditions.. So it looks like its head is slowly but surely being extracted out of its rear end.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

Meh, in that case I don't think I'll bother with it. I'll have the 7.3 (which is already tuned) to gently caress around with if I want silly power.

Ya, I don't plan on tuning mine because if the fuel pump grenades that's just one more way for them to try to weasel out of warrantying it. Plus, the car already has enough torque to get me in trouble in traffic as it is :)

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Dattserberg posted:

I live in a big SUV and truck area. During heavy snowfalls, I'd end up pushing my way through a lot of snow. Every once in a while, I'd find a chunk of ice from a wheelwell buried in there, and I was pretty happy to hear it go off the metal skid-plate and not the oilpan

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
edit: disregard

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 2, 2013

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Is this worth flying down from Michigan for? A one owner TDI with under 100k for less than 10k sounds too good to be true.

http://www.davidmausvwsouth.com/used/Volkswagen/2004-Volkswagen-Golf+TDI-4a21b8e20a0a00de00a16748d0e74ee0.htm

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
These cars will do 500k, so you're not really doing yourself that many favors by getting a low mileage one. It's nice, but I wouldn't fly that far for one. Other people may have different opinions though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

These cars will do 500k, so you're not really doing yourself that many favors by getting a low mileage one. It's nice, but I wouldn't fly that far for one. Other people may have different opinions though.

Seriously this. Low mileage is nice, but if you go for a slightly higher mileage TDI you get a lot of teething issues out of the way. These cars will run well past 500k with normal maintenance, so don't think that you need one sub 100k.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I brought it up in this thread months ago, but I'm at critical mass to get a car for my wife and I'm revisiting TDIs since her priority is longevity, but I'm concerned about the maintenance of Jetta/Golf compared to a lower mileage Camry or Honda at a similar price. Would you consider a well-maintained TDI a better long-term "investment" than an econobox?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Third Man posted:

I brought it up in this thread months ago, but I'm at critical mass to get a car for my wife and I'm revisiting TDIs since her priority is longevity, but I'm concerned about the maintenance of Jetta/Golf compared to a lower mileage Camry or Honda at a similar price. Would you consider a well-maintained TDI a better long-term "investment" than an econobox?

Way better. It will outlast the Honda, maybe on par as far as life expectancy with the Toyota.

Not that the Honda and Toyota are bad choices, and it depends on what sort of driving you intend to do.

I'd go for the TDI, just because the fuel mileage tends to be better and its more fun than an ecobox to drive.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Third Man posted:

I obviously will suggest that you get a TDI but I think that the most important thing is that the driver enjoy the vehicle.

So take her test driving and let her choose. I don't think that you can really go "wrong" with any of the cars you have listed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The reasons to buy a TDI include:

Good fuel economy while still having enough tork to get out of the way of stupid people.
The interior is going to be better than a standard econobox.
If taken care of, the TDI will last forever.

But, just remember that it is still a European car, so you can't just drive it for 50k without ever touching the oil or any other maintenance like some people do to their Japanese counterparts.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Also TDI's can be very easily modified for more power, without sacrificing any fuel economy when not using the extra power. I recommend everyone get at least a tuning chip for the older 90 HP models.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Opensourcepirate posted:

Also TDI's can be very easily modified for more power, without sacrificing any fuel economy when not using the extra power. I recommend everyone get at least a tuning chip for the older 90 HP models.

I see these chips mentioned all the time but still haven't picked one up for my 2000 TDI. All the reviews I find talk about the power increase and mention slightly better MPG as a bonus. How much better economy are people seeing with these chips and what ones are recommended?

If I can get a couple more MPG (51 last road trip) and a bit more power for hauling and pulling a trailer I'll buy one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So...I might be converting my Audi Quattro to a 5 cylinder turbodiesel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

NitroSpazzz posted:

I see these chips mentioned all the time but still haven't picked one up for my 2000 TDI. All the reviews I find talk about the power increase and mention slightly better MPG as a bonus. How much better economy are people seeing with these chips and what ones are recommended?

If I can get a couple more MPG (51 last road trip) and a bit more power for hauling and pulling a trailer I'll buy one.

There are chips designed specifically for economy, although if you would have really wanted one to pay for itself you would surely have had to do it a long time ago. They'll likely gain you 2 or 3 mpg. I have the standard "Stage 2" chip by Rocketchip(.com). It spools the turbo up to 17 psi instead of 14 and does some other stuff like probably advancing the injection timing a little bit. The extra boost ups your power at high throttle (and doesn't affect economy at lower loads), and the timing changes can improve economy a little bit. I've definitely seen people report 1 or 2 mpg increases. I haven't seen improvements, but I make good use of my extra power.

There's also higher stages. Stage 3 is basically just more boost, and then there's a super fancy Stage 6 that requires a new fuel pump and extends the power band up past 5k RPM.

I'd recommend just getting a Rocketchip stage II. Unless you're unlucky it shouldn't be enough to slip your stock clutch.

Edit: Upsolute is another popular chip. Some places do custom tuning and may be better for economy. I think kermatdi is a popular place.

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 5, 2013

• Locked thread