Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Rolling home today on the freeway in the fast lane when a bike comes up two lanes to my right and blows right by. Must have been doing 90+.

Gives me the backhanded wave as they pass.

Then I realize it was a female rider who I am guessing didn't weight more than 100 lbs. She was seriously tiny but riding like a true dongette.

It was :whatup: and :smith: at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
90+! What a squid! Guess I'd fit in tho, hell I generally need to slow down from triple digits just to merge onto the highway. I expect to see that from car drivers or news websites but 90 really isn't poo poo.

ed; news* websites

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 1, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

90+! What a squid! Guess I'd fit in tho, hell I generally need to slow down from triple digits just to merge onto the highway. I expect to see that from car drivers or new websites but 90 really isn't poo poo.

On my commute from work I average about 100 plus or minus. My bike easily lopes along at that speed and yet just blows past everybody. Maybe Stugazi's not comfortable with being the fastest thing on the highway yet.

Stu you have a wonderful world of doing easily 120 and yet never ever wanting to do so due to the neck strain a naked bike subjects you to. Hope you got a good helmet.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

This morning a 50+ year old man with flowing Fabio hair underneath a fluorescent AGV helmet did a wheelie and a thumbs-up at the stoplight on his CBR1000 and gave me a nod as we both revved off in opposite ways and it was literally Folgers as gently caress :black101:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dat's me in 20 years

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

On my commute from work I average about 100 plus or minus. My bike easily lopes along at that speed and yet just blows past everybody. Maybe Stugazi's not comfortable with being the fastest thing on the highway yet.

Stu you have a wonderful world of doing easily 120 and yet never ever wanting to do so due to the neck strain a naked bike subjects you to. Hope you got a good helmet.

Oh I do 90 often but I don't cruise at that speed (naked bikes!). Yesterday I was going 70 because I didn't get my jacket fully zipped and was catching so much air at 80 the jacket was riding up and choking me out. After she blew my doors off I grabbed an exit and fixed my gear.

Shoei RF1100. Unfortunately while I am thin I have a huge head which requires an XL. This does me no favors on the freeway as my goon body has to support a helmet and air drag that would fit Hulk Hogan.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Today I was splitting my way through pretty much stopped traffic when I was forced to linger behind a truck for a second. Looking at his bumper I could see a set of keys just lying on it, I had no idea how they didn't fall off. So I grabbed them and pulled up to his open window. He's looking at me, all geared up, with a dark smoke visor on so he can't see my eyes, and his face pretty much says "Oh poo poo, what's this guy's problem?" Then I hold his keys up and say "I think you might want these." He breaks into a huge grin, I pull up my visor, he thanks me profusely, we both wonder how they didn't fall off his bumper, talk triumphs for a second, shake hands and I blast off as traffic starts to move.

You'd never be able to do that in a car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Ah, I did a similar thing once. Splitting along traffic, saw about a foot of something orange flapping around off the side of a car. Pulled up beside, flipped up the visor and pointed down at the orange thing...the woman driver tentatively rolled the window down a bit and I said "your dress is caught in the door!" She smiled and popped the door open and thanked me profusely. I said "no problem!" :downs: and took off.

No I didn't get her number; I am a goon after all

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Same deal, but with people who leave their gas caps off / fuel doors open a few times.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Did the same to a guy on a big Harley bagger when he left one of his hard boxes open. As soon as he realized what I was pointing at, he was all "Oh goddamn, that's my cooler! Thanks bro!" :3:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Today is my birthday. Went out for a run, came home, showered, then realized that of course, my bike has a full tank of gas and the weather is beautiful. Did one of my favorite usual rides out past the castle in my city, through a pine forest, some farmland that gives way to a mountain (road gets down to one/1.5 lanes), then veered off for some offroading, which includes a land-slided out part so narrow I have to get off the bike and walk it through the gap (there's no guardrail, just a sheer drop) in first, feathering the clutch. More dirt riding, then got back on pavement and did some more twisty empty mountain roads, dropped by my friend's house to say "hi", hopped on the expressway for a few exits until it ended, split through a few kilometers of backed-up holiday traffic, picked up lunch and some odds and ends at the store, came home. Trip odometer says 75kms. Was maaaaybe riding a bit dongish, which I completely blame on having this going in one ear.

Dual sports, gently caress yeah :dukedog:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 5, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

How good is it when you just jump on the bike to head down town and once your going you get that dirty big grin and that giddy feeling.

God I love riding.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Xovaan posted:

This morning a 50+ year old man with flowing Fabio hair underneath a fluorescent AGV helmet did a wheelie and a thumbs-up at the stoplight on his CBR1000 and gave me a nod as we both revved off in opposite ways and it was literally Folgers as gently caress :black101:

Are you sure it wasn't actually Fabio? He's a motorcycle nut.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

You know, it could have been. Scott's Valley is one of the richest areas in the United States. If Fabio gave me a thumbs-up during a wheelie I think I added and immediately crossed off a task on my life's bucket list :gay:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSkY0MfOqk&t=4s

Try to spot a yellow CB, tho he's wearing Arai helmets in the video but I want to believe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I love it. Jay Leno has his giant warehouse garage/living space full of things built especially for him, Ralph Lauren has that climate-controlled purpose-built facility with ten-million-dollar classic exotics on minimalist pedestals, Fabio has...a bunch of nylon tents and corrugated trailers full of dirt bikes. :allears:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fabio just went up all the way on the respecto-meter

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I know this has been mentioned before but I love it when little kids see a motorbike and go all saucer-eyed - if nothing else it makes you realise that bikers are born, not made. Tonight one of my neighbours has his grandkids round and two of them (about 3 and 5 years old) came sprinting over as I parked my bike and barraged me with questions ("Can you go really fast? Is it scary? Why do you wear that hat?") while their big sister just looked bored.

(Then the kids got into the really deep philosophical questions like "Why are their birds?" and "If you ate a dog would you turn into a dog?" and I had to shepherd them back into safer intellectual waters by demonstrating the internal sun visor on my lid)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know this has been mentioned before but I love it when little kids see a motorbike and go all saucer-eyed - if nothing else it makes you realise that bikers are born, not made. Tonight one of my neighbours has his grandkids round and two of them (about 3 and 5 years old) came sprinting over as I parked my bike and barraged me with questions ("Can you go really fast? Is it scary? Why do you wear that hat?") while their big sister just looked bored.

(Then the kids got into the really deep philosophical questions like "Why are their birds?" and "If you ate a dog would you turn into a dog?" and I had to shepherd them back into safer intellectual waters by demonstrating the internal sun visor on my lid)

I'd disagree with this on personal experience. I hated bikes and had no interest in them right up until around 20 because I figured they were dangerous, less technically interesting than cars, had no charisma and were crap at cornering (the last part is true unfortunately), and they scared the poo poo out of me. Then my mate got an RS250 and driving behind him on a twisty road really mesmerised me somehow.

Cars don't interest me beyond the intellectual level nowadays.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'd disagree with this on personal experience. I hated bikes and had no interest in them right up until around 20 because I figured they were dangerous, less technically interesting than cars, had no charisma and were crap at cornering (the last part is true unfortunately), and they scared the poo poo out of me. Then my mate got an RS250 and driving behind him on a twisty road really mesmerised me somehow.

Cars don't interest me beyond the intellectual level nowadays.

I'm going to second that - up until just before Christmas 2011 I wouldn't touch a motorbike, only reason I did was my sister badgered me into it.

Haven't looked back :)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Shimrod posted:

I'm going to second that - up until just before Christmas 2011 I wouldn't touch a motorbike, only reason I did was my sister badgered me into it.

Haven't looked back :)

Is your sister looking to inherit 100% of the family estate?

It's funny to think about somebody's family member badgering them into riding. My brother just saw me do it and wanted one because he saw how much I loved it.

On topic I remember being a teenager and trying my buddies dirt bike, and it was too tall, hard to start and I really didn't get the clutch and all that at the time so I had no interest in it. A few years later I saw some guy on a skinny naked bike with dual exhausts and thought it looked so cool, it was quiet, not like my usual conception of the cruisers or fat 1000cc sports bikes I usually saw. It just looked minimalistic and yet from the future. I could never figure out what bike that was but years later when I was 26 and actually had a few grand in my bank account I remembered how cool that looked and started looking up bikes, visited this forum, heard how much fun you guys were having and got hooked. Now I have a street triple, which I think might be the closest I'll ever get to whatever that bike was I saw.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I got into riding when a friend who just got into riding said "Here's a bike. Get your license, and let's go to Sturgis!" On that trip, I rode more miles in the first day than I had cumulatively before that day. I was tired, nervous, sore, and it was fantastic.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
A family that we're friends with from my church actually encouraged their (then) 17 year old son to ride because he showed an interest. I had an old EX500 and I let the kid borrow it for some time until I eventually sold it. I always thought it so cool how they were not being super-over-protective and actually encouraged a teenage boy to ride a motorcycle.

The mom used to ride pillion when she was young and the dad rode scooters so I guess that helped.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Is your sister looking to inherit 100% of the family estate?

It's funny to think about somebody's family member badgering them into riding. My brother just saw me do it and wanted one because he saw how much I loved it.

She'll be lucky if she gets anything I think, the way things are between her and our parents.

:/

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was always kinda interested in bikes as a kid but never really obsessive over them. My dad always wanted a Harley - as is natural for a blue-collar baby-boomer - so I picked up looking for them from him. I certainly always passively wanted to ride but never sought it out. It wasn't until my dad bought my mom a scooter for her birthday (she had ridden Honda trailbikes as a kid and spoke very fondly of the experiences) and I got to take it around the block that it clicked. I put more miles on that scooter than anyone else in my family did (sorry, mom!) until I bought my own (and then another).

The first time I even remember being on a powered two-wheeler wasn't until I was probably a freshman in high school, when my dad finally got his Harley. He gave me a ride home from a friend's place and it was not exciting. It really wasn't until I got to ride that slow-as-molasses Honda Metropolitan that riding really clicked for me, but man, it clicked loudly. That was almost 9 years ago. I've since put a few hundred miles on that Harley, too, so it's all come full-circle I guess.

So uh one of the things I love the poo poo out while riding is the fact that my parents - mom, especially - are the most vocal opponents of me getting a non-scooter motorbike but are the very people responsible for me riding in the first place.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
I live in a small city with barely any traffic so last night when I went to a game and 10000 people (most with their own car) tried to leave at the same time, I finally got a taste of the awesomeness of riding a bike when everyone else is stuck in their lane.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I like seeing poo poo that I would never notice unless I was into riding. Today I saw a motorcycle with a sidecar way up ahead of me so I had to speed up to check it out. It ended up being a Ural Retro but what was even cooler was the guy's young son was riding in the sidecar with their dog. Before motorcycles, I would have seen it up ahead, thought "cool", and forgot about it.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I never thought I would 'get into' motorcycles. During my last two semesters of college, I lived in a 1300 square foot apartment with 4 of my best friends. We all talked about getting bikes and planning a cross-country ride before we all get married and move off to different parts of the country. We haven't done that yet and I'm not sure if we ever will. :smith:

One of those guys got a bike first and insisted he give me a mini-MSF on his SV650 one weekend to try and get me hooked. It worked!

I am fortunate enough to have lived in Southern California for my first year of riding. I was so loving spoiled by those roads. Houston roads blow rear end. I have to break the speed limit just to have fun (85 in a 55) on the only curvy roads within 50 miles and it sucks!

Oh and things I love the poo poo of while riding: Smells and no A-pillar. Even skunks, cow poo poo, etc.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SoCal roads seemed nice until I discovered NorCal roads. Although nothing beats 20 Hass avocados for $5 on Highway 79 after a nice ride up Palomar. :)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Oh and things I love the poo poo of while riding: Smells and no A-pillar. Even skunks, cow poo poo, etc.

Cow poo poo's not that bad, actually - Pig seems to be a lot worse, and ape poo poo (the city settling ponds) makes my nose want to crawl up inside my skull and die.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

SoCal roads seemed nice until I discovered NorCal roads. Although nothing beats 20 Hass avocados for $5 on Highway 79 after a nice ride up Palomar. :)

Are you moving down here or something similar to that soon?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Graduating mid-June then moving down with whereisnovember (she'll have her M1!) to my parents' house in Carlsbad! :buddy:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Graduating mid-June then moving down with whereisnovember (she'll have her M1!) to my parents' house in Carlsbad! :buddy:

So you're gunna meet&ride with me and Botched, right.... :unsmith:

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
My first biker wave was not reciprocated :smith: but the next 2 were :unsmith:.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

So you're gunna meet&ride with me and Botched, right.... :unsmith:

Of course :hfive:

astropika posted:

My first biker wave was not reciprocated :smith: but the next 2 were :unsmith:.

Here you go bro

:unsmith:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
What about things we loving hate? Riding around the other night, had the visor on my full face helmet opened a couple of clicks as it was hot out and the breeze felt nice. Come up on a dude mowing his severely overgrown front yard and just spraying all that poo poo out into the road. As soon as I rode by I got a helmet full of grass and weed clippings.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

DJCobol posted:

What about things we loving hate? Riding around the other night, had the visor on my full face helmet opened a couple of clicks as it was hot out and the breeze felt nice. Come up on a dude mowing his severely overgrown front yard and just spraying all that poo poo out into the road. As soon as I rode by I got a helmet full of grass and weed clippings.

Dude was growing weed in the front yard? Baller

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

DJCobol posted:

grass and weed clippings.

Be careful riding on that stuff. Green grass clippings can be like an oil slick.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DJCobol posted:

Yeah, I learned to close my visor real quick when I see someone mowing / leafblowing / doing dusty construction stuff. Sometimes I'll even hit the chin vent too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Pressure cleaning the driveway is my favourite, a fine mist of dirt, sharp grit, slime and water that gets simply everywhere.

• Locked thread