Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Mannequin posted:

This was shot with the Pentax 6x7, but I don't remember the film type.

Nice commercial look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Having never done portraits before, I was a little surprised when one of my friends from the football club asked me if I'd do some shots of her kids and their cousins, for a wedding anniversary for the grandparents. I think I suck pretty badly at portraits, so any critique is more than welcome.

This was the one they went with - had it printed and framed - and apparently the olds love it.

20130316-IMG_9515 by efcso1, on Flickr

This one I liked personally, but that's just me.

20130316-GH8E0092 by efcso1, on Flickr

One of the girls had a really good affinity for the camera.

20130316-GH8E0099 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130316-GH8E0155 by efcso1, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mannequin posted:

Now how the heck did you pull that off? Nice job!

This was shot with the Pentax 6x7, but I don't remember the film type.

I'd bet a donut that she's not underwater but rather just flicking her hair and everything else is textures and photoshoppery.

LIke your shot heaps though. I bet you totally made her day. Do you take contact info of the people you shoot and send them a print or something?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hey people people - I was hoping to get some input on two shots that are in progress. I did some shots with my wife today - she needs new headshots for an upcoming concert (new concert music if it matters) and I just can't decide which one might be more suitable. I am in the process of editing and all that - the first has just been through a first run through Lightroom and the second is part way through removing fly away hair, facial stuff and grey removal.

1 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

2 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

I have some other shots that I was experimenting with too - I wanted to try a bunch of things, but first priority are the headshots in terms of the edits. Also, I assume it is standard to get rid of all the stray hairs, facial things, greys etc.? I am doing them partially at my wife's request...I like her the way she looks so it is not a clear judgement for me to make when dealing with a headshot mindset since I would just keep it as is after taking off the blemish on the cheek.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you like the OOF areas?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

rio posted:

Hey people people - I was hoping to get some input on two shots that are in progress. I did some shots with my wife today - she needs new headshots for an upcoming concert (new concert music if it matters) and I just can't decide which one might be more suitable. I am in the process of editing and all that - the first has just been through a first run through Lightroom and the second is part way through removing fly away hair, facial stuff and grey removal.

I have some other shots that I was experimenting with too - I wanted to try a bunch of things, but first priority are the headshots in terms of the edits. Also, I assume it is standard to get rid of all the stray hairs, facial things, greys etc.? I am doing them partially at my wife's request...I like her the way she looks so it is not a clear judgement for me to make when dealing with a headshot mindset since I would just keep it as is after taking off the blemish on the cheek.

I like the first better 'cause her body looks unnaturally twisted in the second. I think your tones could also be better...not to sound like I think I'm an authority on B&W tones by any means. I would be happy to try my hand at a B&W conversion for you if you send me the RAW. But in return you gotta tell me what instrument your wife plays and what the concert program is. I'm a bit of a new music enthusiast. PM me about it if you're interested and I'll give you my email address.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

rio posted:

Since there's not a lot of value separation between the background and the foreground, and all the bright tones are in the background, I'm finding the big bright bokeh circles draw my eyes more than the subject.

E: And to contribute

Chitin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 3, 2013

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

LIke your shot heaps though. I bet you totally made her day. Do you take contact info of the people you shoot and send them a print or something?

No, typically I give them a card and let them contact me. But, I don't really do these kind of anonymous portraits anymore. This one was from last fall around the time of NY Fashion Week and really the last time I made the effort towards these. Now I'm working on different things -- actual projects with goals, and for fun, classic street photography with an old 35mm camera and B&W film. I'm also trying to build up some more stock photography because although the agreement with Getty Images is absolutely atrocious (80% to them 20% to me), every now and then I'll get a check for $250 for a picture I took over a year ago; and all for just sitting on my rear end doing nothing. So it's kind of nice supplementary money. So if I can build that up so that it's a steady flow that would be nice.

I give you full credit for being original and doing things that are different and, what appears to be your having a lot of fun with photography, even if it doesn't fit the "normal" or expected point of view. I don't always gravitate towards the aesthetic, but I greatly like that you do things for yourself as you see them and enjoy them.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rio posted:

Normally I'm not one to even utter the word 'bokey', but that is heinous. Honestly I looked at the OOF areas more that I looked at the subject. What the hell lens/camera was this?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A million point light sources in the background would stress any system, but that's the issue I have with the image too.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Aren't most headshots done on a neutral background so people focus on the head that's being shot? Maybe I'm just a simple country boy but that's what I'd do if I was headshottin'.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Normally I'm not one to even utter the word 'bokey', but that is heinous. Honestly I looked at the OOF areas more that I looked at the subject. What the hell lens/camera was this?

NEX 5N with a Super Takumar 55 1.8 on it. It is pretty distracting, and the black and white conversions sucked because I had no frame of reference on how to do it. So, after the generous offer from LargeHadron to give a try at it, I was able to see how he tweaked the colors in Lightroom when doing the conversion and learned a bit from seeing that. Chose a different shot for the black and white and decided to go with color for the other one - any better? I didn't want a totally neutral background because I didn't think that kind of sterile headshot would be best for this kind of use (for a new music concert).

DSC03134-Edit-2 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

DSC03104-Edit-4 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

The first one is quite good! On the second one, the background is made even more distracting by the bursts of purple and gold. There may be no saving it. Her skin tone is also very bright to the point of losing detail.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

rio posted:

NEX 5N with a Super Takumar 55 1.8 on it. It is pretty distracting, and the black and white conversions sucked because I had no frame of reference on how to do it. So, after the generous offer from LargeHadron to give a try at it, I was able to see how he tweaked the colors in Lightroom when doing the conversion and learned a bit from seeing that. Chose a different shot for the black and white and decided to go with color for the other one - any better? I didn't want a totally neutral background because I didn't think that kind of sterile headshot would be best for this kind of use (for a new music concert).

I like them both! Your color version of the second is way better than the one I made....I don't think the colors are distracting, I think they look nice.

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle

I like both of these too, I love bright colors so I have no problem with the background. I do think her face in the second one espcially around the nose seems a little too bright.

Here's a few from today just playing around with a friend.

IMG_0383-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

IMG_0312-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

IMG_0295 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

rio posted:

I think the background colors in the second are a huge improvement because they don't distract quite as much to me. I think the problem with both, more evident in the first, is the quality of the skin tone. It looks a little coarse. Women pride themselves on having smooth, silky skin. I think a facelift in Photoshop -- nothing too dramatic -- would really benefit the picture and make her more happy with the shots. You could possibly blur the bokeh in the second shot by doing a Lens Blur and just blurring it a little so the circular shapes blend together a little more -- doing this on a separate mask and then bringing her face back in to clear view. Just a thought. (That's not always easy to do).

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Is there any good way to fake an underwater portrait? My friend is working on a kids book, and the beginning has her kid being attacked by a seagull which knocks her to the sand, making her hair fly everywhere and she falls underwater where her adventure begins (it makes more sense when you read it, it's more about illustrating imagination and highlighting her kids crazy hair)

The problem is her kid doesnt swim yet, so I need to make a somewhat believable underwater scene. I guess it doesnt have to be very realistic since I'm probably going to add cartoonish elements anyway, but the more believable the better.

Any tips? I've googled around, and have some ideas but would love some suggestions. :)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

somnambulist posted:

Is there any good way to fake an underwater portrait?

Any tips? I've googled around, and have some ideas but would love some suggestions. :)

Maybe get a trampoline? Something that can give you the effect of weight lessness? That's a tough one

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
Throw a child up into the air. Perhaps put some sort of soft thing under it for it to land on.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_1058 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_0499 by avoyer, on Flickr

Huge weekend for me: Two weddings, 1 maternity shoot and one portrait session! Gotta love spring and warmer weather.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

xenilk posted:

IMG_0499 by avoyer, on Flickr

Huge weekend for me: Two weddings, 1 maternity shoot and one portrait session! Gotta love spring and warmer weather.

That is one drat permissive/well-lit church you have there. Why is the bokeh so harsh?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

thetzar posted:

That is one drat permissive/well-lit church you have there. Why is the bokeh so harsh?

Pretty big church and here in Quebec the church are more permissive than anywhere else (mostly because of our culture). Not sure about the bokeh tho :/ It was shot at 1.4, I was expecting a bit smoother bokeh... but I can live with it as I'm pretty proud of the shot :)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

somnambulist posted:

Is there any good way to fake an underwater portrait?
Ask sw1gger:

sw1gger posted:

Trying something new:

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I was asked to shoot a friend's makeup again for portfolio work. I had loaned my gear to another friend who needed to shoot a music video so declined. The lady with the makeup said I could use her camera, and asked nicely so I landed up doing the shoot.

My gear:
5d MkII
tamron 24-70
Canon 100mm macro
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Takumar 50mm f/1.4

Very nice for portrait work, I would have liked to see what the new body did with her makeup because she often goes wild with colour.

Her gear:

Nikon d90 with 18-105 kit lens.

With a lot of reflector work and a LOT of patience (seriously, how the gently caress do you Nikonians accurately meter?) I got a couple of shots I'm okay with. They're so soft and non-contrasty though..

Calli Creswick Makeup (10 of 11) by sildargod, on Flickr

Calli Creswick Makeup (6 of 11) by sildargod, on Flickr

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Nice! You managed to catch some good moments. I don't think your contrast is as bad as you think it is. You may want to let your friend know to go heavier on the matte powder for photo and video work though - she's shining pretty badly.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

sildargod posted:

I was asked to shoot a friend's makeup again for portfolio work. I had loaned my gear to another friend who needed to shoot a music video so declined. The lady with the makeup said I could use her camera, and asked nicely so I landed up doing the shoot.

My gear:
5d MkII
tamron 24-70
Canon 100mm macro
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Takumar 50mm f/1.4

Very nice for portrait work, I would have liked to see what the new body did with her makeup because she often goes wild with colour.

Her gear:

With a lot of reflector work and a LOT of patience (seriously, how the gently caress do you Nikonians accurately meter?) I got a couple of shots I'm okay with. They're so soft and non-contrasty though..

Calli Creswick Makeup (10 of 11) by sildargod, on Flickr

Calli Creswick Makeup (6 of 11) by sildargod, on Flickr

In terms of critique - too many different sources of light/reflection and thus differing color casts. :/ For makeup usually there is a want for color to be uniform throughout. There are also a lot of shadow and hair obscuring her work.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Aasera by geeves, on Flickr

Cinco de Mayo picnic with a bunch of friends who are starting to spawn.

xenilk posted:

Pretty big church and here in Quebec the church are more permissive than anywhere else (mostly because of our culture). Not sure about the bokeh tho :/ It was shot at 1.4, I was expecting a bit smoother bokeh... but I can live with it as I'm pretty proud of the shot :)

I really like the shot. I like that you can make out the reactions of the guests. Couldn't care less that the bokeh may be "harsh" - you're 8-10 feet away from the focal point. You're not close enough to make it smooth with that lens. Don't fall into the trap and think using the 50L would solve it either. The Bride and Groom pop against the aisle. They don't need to pop against the crowd.

What I find interesting is the woman and child on the right are more in focus than the two people next to her are not (same with the woman on the far left), but I guess that's the 50mm distortion.

If someone wants to talk about bokeh that is harsh and weird, the Sigma 35 f/1.4 has weird bokeh.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

You have a really strange skin hue going on there. It reminds me of the pale green that some people get when they're sick.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 7, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sildargod posted:

Matrix metering -1/3 hasn't faulted me very often.

For the love of gently caress tone it down with the sharpening. Not every dial that goes to 11 should be there.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

You have a really strange skin hue going on there. It reminds me of the pale green that some people get when they're sick.

:stare: christ, you're right. Thanks! Fixed the WB - which I hadn't touched for probably drunk reasons.

Aasera by geeves, on Flickr

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
After a long hiatus at attempting to photography. This is one of my favorites from last weekend. And watch me goof the post up. I really like primes, it seems to me one less variable, but it has me lusting after a 35mm, probably the 35mm 1.4 Sigma... I should work with what I have for a bit though. I have the Canon 50mm and the 40mm STM pancake which was more a whim. I like the 50 better.

IMG_0197.jpg by cutoffacall, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Wandered onto a BMX track.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Love that first one.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mannequin posted:

I think the background colors in the second are a huge improvement because they don't distract quite as much to me. I think the problem with both, more evident in the first, is the quality of the skin tone. It looks a little coarse. Women pride themselves on having smooth, silky skin. I think a facelift in Photoshop -- nothing too dramatic -- would really benefit the picture and make her more happy with the shots. You could possibly blur the bokeh in the second shot by doing a Lens Blur and just blurring it a little so the circular shapes blend together a little more -- doing this on a separate mask and then bringing her face back in to clear view. Just a thought. (That's not always easy to do).

Thanks a lot of the input - I have respected your work since I started trying to learn a couple years ago and checked out the dorkroom. Also thanks to everyone for the input because I think I learned a lot from this and your comments.

I asked my wife to confirm, and she did; she is freckly and would not like that to be smoothed away. It is tough because like I said before I like her as-is... but I also want practice with portraits. With these shots I tried to just fix up skin blemishes, odd tones and any freckles that really drew attention. If the general look comes off as rough then I need to figure something else out. Here is a shot that I think texturally came out better because the freckles are clearer and seem less like roughness:

DSC03148-Edit by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

And here is an attempt at smoothing the skin with some natural light

DSC02977-Edit by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Your mid-highs are too blown out, the skin needs some depth, keep it down.

And another one because I have been shooting a lot lately.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was boosting the high mids to wash out the facial tones - if it is too much then that is good to know.

I was just enjoying your flickr and put a brief comment on this one, but I want to say a bit more. I looked at bored fake Spock looking dude in the back first who seemed to be acting like he was listening to someone's story. Or maybe he was someone's date and was trying to act interested. Then I saw the subject and just loved it. The highlights where they are are great, compositionally speaking, but that expression is priceless. Sandwiching that woman in the middle between the two folks on the outside was some great observation and timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm glad that comes through, because that's pretty much it. That's my sister, mother, and father, at my mother's mother's 80th birthday.