Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm trying to make croutons with garlic-infused olive oil. So I chop up some garlic cloves and mix them into room-temperature olive oil, and let them sit for a short while. Is this bad? I read that the olive oil needs to be heated first or there's a risk of botulism. I don't intend to store the olive oil over days, only just long enough for it to get a garlic flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Bolognese is not a light sauce, it is a rich, super fatty meat, butter, and cream sauce. Stir it in.

ALRIGHT THEN

Edit: This Edit is made by the Paramedics. Forums poster Boner Slam has died from a heart attack.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 5, 2013

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Yeah, if you're baking cookies, shaping and then chilling them in the fridge will always lead to a much better shape than just baking straight from the mixing bowl. The cooler they are the more they'll resist all their fats melting out before the outside of them sets. Apparently adding glucose / corn syrup to the mixture helps with this as well as the texture, but I've yet to make any that called for it in the recipe to compare yet.

An out-there question from myself, does anyone have or know of any White Chocolate Fudge Ripple recipes? For spooning in clumps over more clumps of fresh ice cream to create ripples in it before you give it the freeze after churning. I can find plenty of regular milk / dark chocolate ones - I've used the one from Perfect Scoop aplenty and it's always worked fine - but I can't for the life of me find a white chocolate one. At the moment chilling in the fridge I've got a simple sugar syrup base that I poured over a few squares of white chocolate to melt, and while it combined I'm worried that it's not going to set thick enough and instead just end up a sauce. Should I just add more melted chocolate? More corn syrup? Perhaps some cream or something?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vegetable posted:

I'm trying to make croutons with garlic-infused olive oil. So I chop up some garlic cloves and mix them into room-temperature olive oil, and let them sit for a short while. Is this bad? I read that the olive oil needs to be heated first or there's a risk of botulism. I don't intend to store the olive oil over days, only just long enough for it to get a garlic flavor.

Stick it in a low oven for an hour. If nothing else, the oil will taste much better. You want the roasty garlic flavor I assume, not the harsh (but delicious in it's own right) raw taste.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

How long can a butter/cream cheese frosting stay out of the refrigerator? Like if I wanted to send it along with some cupcakes to a family member.
The recipe for them is a stick of cream cheese, half a cup of butter, and two cups of powdered sugar. Would that be ok in the mail for a few days in a tightly wrapped Ziploc?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Tenchrono posted:

How long can a butter/cream cheese frosting stay out of the refrigerator? Like if I wanted to send it along with some cupcakes to a family member.
The recipe for them is a stick of cream cheese, half a cup of butter, and two cups of powdered sugar. Would that be ok in the mail for a few days in a tightly wrapped Ziploc?

I don't think you can trust it to survive the mail- it could be sitting in a truck in the heat somewhere for a while.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tenchrono posted:

Probably not. Ice chest and a cold pack maybe ?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I have a stupid amount of homemade croissants and brioche that I baked Saturday night. I want to bring the leftovers into work on Monday; will they be gross by then? Should I reheat them in the morning before bringing them in, or will that make them stale?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

About cookies: Don't forget you can freeze the dough too! I usually mix a batch that uses 1 stick of butter, 1 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup each of the sugars, and one egg (to make ~2-3 dozen or something like that) and immediately bake about a dozen. The rest I drop onto parchment paper on a second baking sheet and freeze them then put them in bags. They survive the freezing pretty well and that way you can always have access to fresh from the oven cookies.

I've never had trouble with cookie spreading, but I don't think I've used the toll house recipe. I've only ever used ones that have the ratio I mentioned earlier.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm in the market for a cookware set. Currently, I live in an apartment with a small kitchen and my cookware has been piecemeal of whatever came my way. So, my nonstick skillet has bitten the dust, and I'm looking to invest in a set. Any recommendations on companies/sets to look at? I'm buying a house, so I'm willing to put up money if it's worth the quality.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Fremry posted:

I'm in the market for a cookware set. Currently, I live in an apartment with a small kitchen and my cookware has been piecemeal of whatever came my way. So, my nonstick skillet has bitten the dust, and I'm looking to invest in a set. Any recommendations on companies/sets to look at? I'm buying a house, so I'm willing to put up money if it's worth the quality.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

Checkout the OP.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Aaronicon posted:

An out-there question from myself, does anyone have or know of any White Chocolate Fudge Ripple recipes? For spooning in clumps over more clumps of fresh ice cream to create ripples in it before you give it the freeze after churning. I can find plenty of regular milk / dark chocolate ones - I've used the one from Perfect Scoop aplenty and it's always worked fine - but I can't for the life of me find a white chocolate one. At the moment chilling in the fridge I've got a simple sugar syrup base that I poured over a few squares of white chocolate to melt, and while it combined I'm worried that it's not going to set thick enough and instead just end up a sauce. Should I just add more melted chocolate? More corn syrup? Perhaps some cream or something?

Quoting myself for an update: I ended up adding another handful of white chocolate (which seized on me but a little bit of rewarming the mixture combined with the high liquid content brought it back to a nice syrup) and it turned out fine. Put a blob in the freezer to check it and it gets solid but still perfectly scoopable. Now my cheesecake ice cream is going to have one decadent white chocolate fudge ripple through it. Using a tablespoon of so of golden syrup alongside the corn syrup added a nice creamy colour and caramel hints. Gonna be awesome.

Moral of the story: always add more chocolate.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I've been trying to get more liver into my diet and have been enjoying pate from our local charcuterie lately.

Today I bought some veal liver and cooked it up with some pork, onion, garlic, and a bit of cognac. I then blended it up and stuck it in the fridge to set up a bit. I'm not expecting it to taste like nice pate but hopefully it's a decent substitute.

I generally like the flavor of liver but the texture just kills me every time. Any recipe ideas you guys can share?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I've developed a mild egg allergy. Unfortunately, I love baked goods.

What are some recipes that naturally don't have eggs, like shortbread cookies?

Also, what sort of substitutes are their for eggs in baking, and do they yield results as tasty as the originals?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I use flaxseed as an egg replacer and it works pretty well but there are actually a ton of options the usefulness of which vary depending on what you are baking.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Any tips for blowtorching protein to finish em' after a nice time in the sous vide apparatus?

I bought a propane blowtorch (with a regulator - Berzomatic 3000) and I sorta just winged it the first time, so I felt like I could get a better result on my next attempt. Googling for this information only brought up inconsistent and differing methods.

When I tried it for the first time, the flame itself was about 2" high, and I slowly "painted" the steaks with the torch flame. I was kind of scared to keep my torch in one spot for too long--I didn't want to compromise the lovely 55C interior! The outside got brown-er, but not excessively crusty. The steaks were dried, lightly brushed with oil before attempting to torch them. I've seen a glucose/starch wash recommended as well...

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Is salo supposed to have these unchewably hard bits in it? Should I just cut that part out of each slice, or what

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
What's IKEA cookware like? How about Meyer Anolon? If I get a non-stick large sauce pan I don't want frying-pan Teflon non-stick, but I do have a non-stick anodised which seems pretty good.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Costco finally got whole frozen ducks at the store. I've never made duck on my own, any suggestions for recipe? I was going to thaw it, break it down like a chicken, and Sous vide everything (maybe confit the leg quarters based on what I've seen here). What would be a good guess at puddle temp for someone who likes steak at 126?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

What's IKEA cookware like?

Meh. It's OK; like most of their products, it provides a reasonable bang for the buck. I'm very suspicious of the non-stick coating on their pans, so I've never bought any. So I could be wrong about it, let me know how it goes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hed posted:

Costco finally got whole frozen ducks at the store. I've never made duck on my own, any suggestions for recipe? I was going to thaw it, break it down like a chicken, and Sous vide everything (maybe confit the leg quarters based on what I've seen here). What would be a good guess at puddle temp for someone who likes steak at 126?

I had one a while back that I parted up, seared the breasts in a black iron skillet and had those as a main course with some other veggies. I took the rest of the duck and cooked it in the dutch oven with onion, celery, parsnips, carrots and a bouquet garni for 2-3h or so and just had it like a stew. Also, save the bones, duck stock is pretty good and made a good gumbo later on.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gordon-ramsay-cookalong-live/articles/how-to-cook-duck-video

I did the duck breasts more or less like this except I scored the skin over the fatty bits of the breast. This helps render the fat out as you cook it which is important for duck vs chicken given the large amount of fat they carry. Also, save that extra duck fat in the fridge. It's great for using in other stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GrAviTy84 posted:

This recipe has always baked flat for me fwiw.

Edit:
This recipe has always kinda confused me, too. Why is there baking soda and not baking powder? Where does the soda get its acid to give lift? If it's not there for lift, why soda at all? I'm not the most versed bakist, but I would think that baking powder is a better choice in this application.

I think it's to add a little air to the cookie for some crunch. gently caress the recipe on the bags of chips, my mom used to use those, and then she'd always add a little more flour 'to make more cookies' and bakes everything too long and they end up being hockey pucks. She just says "I dunk them in coffee I don't care!"

I ended up just memorizing a basic recipe and just change it up a little here and there, the basics are pretty similar to the Alton 'chewy' recipe.

1-1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
big splash of vanilla
splash of milk
1-1/2 sticks of butter
tsp of salt
tsp of baking soda
2 egg yolks
2 to 2-1/2 cups of flour
bag of Ghirardelli 60^ cacao big chips/chunks. Do not use Nestle or Hershey chips.
pecans or walnuts if you want

bake on parchment paper at 350 until the tops start splitting, don't let the bottoms brown too much

This batch had a little bit too much sugar in them but they came out alright. Warm them up in the oven for a few minutes before you serve them (the chips should look 'wet'. Nobody wants to eat a cold cookie

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody wants to eat a cold cookie

Are you kidding me? Frozen chocolate chip cookies are awesome.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

therattle posted:

What's IKEA cookware like? How about Meyer Anolon? If I get a non-stick large sauce pan I don't want frying-pan Teflon non-stick, but I do have a non-stick anodised which seems pretty good.

I've only bought chopping boards, whisks, spoons and bowls there. My ikea also had an enamelled CI dutch oven pretty cheap.
As far as pans, never tried them, seems they only have really cheap teflon disposable pans so avoided them like SN said.
From what you say, you don't want them, and like yourself, I threw out my old teflon pan and got an anodised non stick a few weeks ago and I'm happy and not looking back to teflon. It's a local Au only brand though so no good to you. Maybe ask in the product recommendation thread?
Probably better for you to get a name brand with some type of warranty over an ikea pan, maybe Tefal, circulon, cuisinart?
I've only recently learnt that Tefal in the US is called T-Fal, had to rename due to legal threats as too close to Teflon. It's Tefal in the rest of the world.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 6, 2013

Piece
Dec 18, 2005
So I've got a bunch of boneless beef short ribs in the freezer that I need to use up, but don't really feel like braising now that it's getting warm. I've a mind to grill them kalbi-stlye, but are boneless short ribs going to hold up? Should I split them lengthwise to get to a similar thickness as the bone-in flanken cut short ribs?

If that sounds terrible, can anyone recommend other good uses for beef short ribs that don't involve braising?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Slice thin, marinate in a Korean style bbq sauce, then grill quickly.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Is salo supposed to have these unchewably hard bits in it? Should I just cut that part out of each slice, or what

That might be pork skin, if salo is what I think it is. Trim it off if you want. Whenever I make salo for dipping perogies (vereneki) in, I take some salt-pork, trim off the skin, cube it into little batons and then cook down the little cubes till they are crunchy and all the fat has rendered. I find when the skin stays in there, its is sort of tooth cracking-hard.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

I've only bought chopping boards, whisks, spoons and bowls there. My ikea also had an enamelled CI dutch oven pretty cheap.
As far as pans, never tried them, seems they only have really cheap teflon disposable pans so avoided them like SN said.
From what you say, you don't want them, and like yourself, I threw out my old teflon pan and got an anodised non stick a few weeks ago and I'm happy and not looking back to teflon. It's a local Au only brand though so no good to you. Maybe ask in the product recommendation thread?
Probably better for you to get a name brand with some type of warranty over an ikea pan, maybe Tefal, circulon, cuisinart?
I've only recently learnt that Tefal in the US is called T-Fal, had to rename due to legal threats as too close to Teflon. It's Tefal in the rest of the world.

Thanks (and others). I'm not interested in buying something cheapish that I'm not happy with. I've got an Anolon now and might get another one of those. I just wondered if people liked or hated anodised stuff.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bob Morales posted:

I think it's to add a little air to the cookie for some crunch. gently caress the recipe on the bags of chips, my mom used to use those, and then she'd always add a little more flour 'to make more cookies' and bakes everything too long and they end up being hockey pucks. She just says "I dunk them in coffee I don't care!"

I ended up just memorizing a basic recipe and just change it up a little here and there, the basics are pretty similar to the Alton 'chewy' recipe.

1-1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
big splash of vanilla
splash of milk
1-1/2 sticks of butter
tsp of salt
tsp of baking soda
2 egg yolks
2 to 2-1/2 cups of flour
bag of Ghirardelli 60^ cacao big chips/chunks. Do not use Nestle or Hershey chips.
pecans or walnuts if you want

bake on parchment paper at 350 until the tops start splitting, don't let the bottoms brown too much

This batch had a little bit too much sugar in them but they came out alright. Warm them up in the oven for a few minutes before you serve them (the chips should look 'wet'. Nobody wants to eat a cold cookie

Do you do what Alton does and melt the butter first? Also he recommends bread and not all purpose flour.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You can cut sugar by almost half and still have it come out fine, right? My sweet tooth has been significantly reduced since I've changed my diet(I'm not looking to cut calories, just make it not as sweet).

Or will I need another moisturizer? Should I mash a banana in there or something?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 7, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rand alPaul posted:

Do you do what Alton does and melt the butter first? Also he recommends bread and not all purpose flour.

I leave it out on the counter to soften but I don't melt it. Once you hit the butter with sugar, the grit mixes it right up. I mix everything except the flour and chips together at the same time, then the flour, then add chips/nuts.

Bread flour works and seems to give a slightly 'poofier' cookie, if you are looking to add some 'chew' use some whole-wheat flour. And if you want a chocolately as hell cookie use a cup of cocoa powder to replace one of the cups of flour. But be careful not to overbake because you won't be able to tell when the bottoms are burning.

Drifter posted:

You can cut sugar by almost half and still have it come out fine, right? My sweet tooth has been significantly reduced since I've changed my diet(I'm not looking to cut calories, just make it not as sweet).

Or will I need another moisturizer? Should I mash a banana in there or something?

Banana would probably affect the flavor (probably not as much as the time I used corn tortilla grease by mistake when I was a kid, instead of shortening). Take the white sugar out first. I don't use egg whites in my recipe so they come out pretty chewy, removing some sugar shouldn't affect it that much.

Real butter, sugar and eggs are the most important ingredients to a cookie. I've tried a ton of vegan or alternative chocolate chip cookies and they're all missing taste, texture, or both.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Bought three kilos of sweet potatoes on a sale. I've never used it before. What do I do with it?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Affi posted:

Bought three kilos of sweet potatoes on a sale. I've never used it before. What do I do with it?
We eat them mashed a lot, just like potatoes- but instead of boiling them like regular potatoes, the cookbook I have at home calls for braising. I don't have the exact recipe but this one looks very similar:
http://cosmopolitancomfort.com/2013/01/27/braised-mashed-sweet-potatoes/
I also usually skip the sugar.

I've swapped them in for the mashed potatoes on a shepherd's pie several times, that was delicious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I just had a sweet potato shepards pie for lunch. It was delicious.

After a workout I usually get some complex carbs from sweet potatoes so my usual morning breakfast is a half a baked sweet potato with a few soft-poached eggs over it.

Really, they are very flexible and easy to cook, you can use em in drat near anything.

One thing I love them for is when I want a nice thick tomato soup, I'll puree a baked sweet potato into it beforehand. It cuts down the acidity nicely and adds a good hearty texture to the soup.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I use them mashed on a cottage pie, roasted with other veg or meat, in curries too. Use them anywhere where you'd use butternut squash or potato.
Just had a frittata for dinner with them, roasted 1/2 a large sweet potato (cubed) with thyme, 2 zucchinis (sliced into rounds) and 1 onion (quatered).
Then fried mushrooms and garlic in a cast iron pan; chucked the roasted veg into the pan, topped with parsley and tomato; poured over egg, cream and parmesan cheese mixture and put the pan under the grill/broiler until golden.
The sweet potato was the star (along with onion, garlic and herbs), as I'm not a big fan of zucchini, mushrooms or eggs, I just need to get rid of them.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Fo3 posted:

Just had a frittata for dinner with them, roasted 1/2 a large sweet potato (cubed) with thyme, 2 zucchinis (sliced into rounds) and 1 onion (quatered).
Then fried mushrooms and garlic in a cast iron pan; chucked the roasted veg into the pan, topped with parsley and tomato; poured over egg, cream and parmesan cheese mixture and put the pan under the grill/broiler until golden.
The sweet potato was the star (along with onion, garlic and herbs), as I'm not a big fan of zucchini, mushrooms or eggs, I just need to get rid of them.

Yeah I'm eating this poo poo tomorrow. Man that sounds delicious.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anyone know where I can buy a Sodium Citrate in the UK? I tried looking but didn't find any stockists.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aramoro posted:

Anyone know where I can buy a Sodium Citrate in the UK? I tried looking but didn't find any stockists.

Amazon.co.uk? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Texturas-Citras/dp/B002X8168W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367947046&sr=8-1&keywords=sodium+citrate

Have you tried looking in the kosher section of a grocery store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Eggs benedict questions:

Prepping for mother's day brunch. Can I make the hollandaise sauce the day before and reheat, or will that make the sauce icky? I was going to use the leftover egg whites and attempt a pavlova, but if I have to make the sauce the day of, I probably will not.

Fiancee's mother requested eggs florentine. Do I just blanch the spinach, or do I need to do something else to it to make it tasty?

Smoked salmon on eggs benedict: am I supposed to use lox or uh. smoked salmon? Okay, what salmon should I use?

potato pancake question:

I really like the potato pancake method from Keller's "Ad hoc", where the potato is shredded, rinsed in ice water, spun down, and tossed with cornstarch. The recipe says to use enough oil to hear the pancake sizzle. My pancakes get so oily, and I'd like to cut down on the oil absorption. Is it simply a matter of turning the heat up right before dropping the potatoes in, then dropping the heat?