Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
With the release of Extended Cut, MP has gone from being a requirement for seeing all the different endings, to an alternative that you can do if you don't want to do all the sidequests in SP. Which is how it should have been on launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yes I just found this out, this is incredibly loving annoying. I actually looked into the possibility of a mod that set it to 100% so I could stop being bothered by it, but apparently that runs the risk of getting your (non-multiplaying) account banned :shepicide:

You don't need to play multiplayer at all. You can easily get the "best" endings just by collecting most of the war assets.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Kibayasu posted:

You don't need to play multiplayer at all. You can easily get the "best" endings just by collecting most of the war assets.

Yeah, it doesn't matter in the slightest anymore. The only possible reason for bothering would be to see what the "Odds of success are" text on the info screen says at 100% with over 8k in assets.

(I'm betting it still says "even" and even if it doesn't, it still won't make a blind bit of difference anyway even if it did say "so ludicrously heavily weighed in our favour that the Reapers will poo poo bricks when we show up and implode in terror", so why bother?)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

My favorite ending is the one that's now the hardest to get, because it requires you to have an unreasonably low number of war assets.

The single player and multiplayer are basically two separate games now. But I'm glad that they initially weren't, because otherwise I would not have wasted hundreds of hours of my life on the multiplayer.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Maybe I'm sheeple, but I actually think it's sort of neat that MP is now a viable alternative to doing millions of fetch quests. Of course I (a) bought the game used so I don't have the online pass, and (b) do not actually care in the slightest about multiplayer.

EDIT: Chilly McFreeze: The bad ends are still as easy to get as they were before. I'm pretty sure the only EMS-requirement-change made by the Extended Cut was lowering requirements for the "breath" scene from 4000 to 3100.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Yeah, but if you're like me and have several thousand points from promoted multiplayer characters...it can be tricky.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

losonti tokash posted:

Yeah, but if you're like me and have several thousand points from promoted multiplayer characters...it can be tricky.

You can use the Gibbed editor (at least on PC/Xbox) to manually change your EMS. Enjoy your incinerated Earth ending!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, it doesn't matter in the slightest anymore. The only possible reason for bothering would be to see what the "Odds of success are" text on the info screen says at 100% with over 8k in assets.

(I'm betting it still says "even" and even if it doesn't, it still won't make a blind bit of difference anyway even if it did say "so ludicrously heavily weighed in our favour that the Reapers will poo poo bricks when we show up and implode in terror", so why bother?)

If you're at 90%+ then Hackett will mention that the "order of battle" is going well and allied forces are holding steady against the Reapers.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

losonti tokash posted:

I want to see someone get the best ending with just MP points. "Entire galaxy in a shambles, everyone dead? Here, have this 10k war asset score anyway :smug:"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pretty inspiring if over half the ground forces trying to retake Earth is made up of humans, turians, salarians, krogans, asari, batarians, androids, geth and/or quarians, vorcha, and Leviathan-controlled collectors who decided to become Alliance-paid mercs rather than just armies of individual governments.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I like to think my ems score is based entirely on my nova vanguard human, just raaaaaaaaa-ing all over earth

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay so, a lot of people might think Omega is one of the worst ME3 DLCs.

But it gives you access to Flare, which is so, so good and it feels like it's making Insanity a cakewalk.

Best team now seems to be Garrus and Liara. Overload any shields you see, make sure Garrus hangs back with the sniper. Then have Liara place down singularities, and your flare will basically destroy any mook caught in it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ineffiable posted:

To be fair, there's not that much in the way of single player content DLC for ME3. And while I quite enjoy Omega (even if I do agree that Aria's rather off-putting), and do not regret purchasing it at all, I can't honestly say that it's more important and/or worthwhile to buy than From Ashes, Leviathan, or Citadel. That doesn't mean Omega's bad, it just means it's not as good as the rest.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I want to see someone get the best ending with just MP points. "Entire galaxy in a shambles, everyone dead? Here, have this 10k war asset score anyway :smug:"

This is me, I really do have 10,800 points from multiplayer. :shepface:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sombrerotron posted:

To be fair, there's not that much in the way of single player content DLC for ME3. And while I quite enjoy Omega (even if I do agree that Aria's rather off-putting), and do not regret purchasing it at all, I can't honestly say that it's more important and/or worthwhile to buy than From Ashes, Leviathan, or Citadel. That doesn't mean Omega's bad, it just means it's not as good as the rest.

Yeah, that's only relative. It's not the worst of all the ME DLCs (Pinnacle station would be) but Omega has already redeemed itself by letting me use Flare.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zoran posted:

This is me, I really do have 10,800 points from multiplayer. :shepface:

I imagine your N7 battalion looks and move like the zombies in the World War Z movie.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

The MSJ posted:

I imagine your N7 battalion looks and move like the zombies in the World War Z movie.

If they weren't so entrenched in having a bleak ending it would have been awesome if there were a few cutscenes that used your promoted characters class/color scheme and showed them fighting. We could have had platoons of pink krogan. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just wanted ONE scene with a Krogan riding a dinosaur into battle :smith:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Jerusalem posted:

I just wanted ONE scene with a Krogan riding a dinosaur into battle :smith:

Mass Effect 3 Ending verdict: not enough dinosaurs.

I just realized I never turned in that mission before ending the game, crap!

On the whole though I think my favorite game is still 2, because of how much you can affect the ending (for better or worse) and how much more accomplished you feel as a result of it. Also I kind of hate most multiplayer games, so that whole part of 3 I kind of totally discount.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I don't think ME1 is going to be much on anyone's favorite list. I mean, all the dlc is pretty standard fare (compared to how amazing stuff like Shadow Broker, Kasumi or Citadel are) and it's so much setting up for ME2/3.

I mean you spend about 3-4 hours before becoming a Spectre. Sidequests are for the most part, completely forgettable.

Still..... There's

Shepard.
Wrex.
Shepard.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

I don't think ME1 is going to be much on anyone's favorite list. I mean, all the dlc is pretty standard fare (compared to how amazing stuff like Shadow Broker, Kasumi or Citadel are) and it's so much setting up for ME2/3.

I mean you spend about 3-4 hours before becoming a Spectre. Sidequests are for the most part, completely forgettable.

Still..... There's

Shepard.
Wrex.
Shepard.

I thought one of the most enjoyable parts of 1 was tracking Saren before you become a Spectre, exploring the Citadel, meeting your space bros for the first time... :allears:

And I still maintain that 1 had good sidequests. You came across different people, chances to persuade them or shoot them or take bribes or whatever. There are decisions to make (and not in the Obligatory Moral Choice At The End Of The Mission style of 2 and 3). Sure you explored badly generated planets and the same three prefabs, but inside them you had that terrorist with the hostage, the corrupt exogeni scientists, the outgunned alliance soldiers fighting Rachni or the crime boss lady. In 2 you just turned up in a shooting corridor and shot all the mercs (admittedly in a much better environment). I don't think I remember a single conversation from the sidequests in 2. And the sidequests in 3 don't count :colbert:

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
It's strange that the quality of side quests deteriorated throughout the series to the point where the journal doesn't even work in ME3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ineffiable posted:

Still..... There's

Shepard.
Wrex.
Shepard.

:respek:
Shepard

Shepaaaaaaard

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's like the Mass Effect equivalent of that scene in The Wire where McNulty and Bunk have a conversation using no word other than "gently caress."

But, you know, clean.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME1 is my favorite and it's not close. It has the best intro. It has the best ending. It has the best version of the Citadel. It's the only one where your choices really do make a big difference in an apparent way. Choosing whether or not to do loyalty missions or who goes with what team are not real choices. I'm talking about who is gonna live and die.

The galaxy feels like a big thing to explore. You don't get that in the other ones. Also, 1 is a RPG and the others are shooters. No comparison there.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Just finished getting Liara in Mass Effect 1. About halfway through the first map the tank had taken too much damage and I had to dump it and hoof it the rest of the way.

That was... not a fun experience.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One of my favorite things about Mass Effect 1 is a stupid little thing—if you put off picking up Liara until last, she'll be all loopy when you find her, and will think you're a hallucination pretty much right up until the moment that you bust her out of the force field. I thought it was a nice little touch, to keep track of what the player is doing and have it make sense in relation to the timing of the rest of the game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

One of my favorite things about Mass Effect 1 is a stupid little thing—if you put off picking up Liara until last, she'll be all loopy when you find her, and will think you're a hallucination pretty much right up until the moment that you bust her out of the force field. I thought it was a nice little touch, to keep track of what the player is doing and have it make sense in relation to the timing of the rest of the game.

Plus you get a bunch of fun dialog as you get to tell her all the crazy poo poo you've done up to that point, including taking down her incredibly dangerous mother without any insight from her.

RickVoid posted:

Just finished getting Liara in Mass Effect 1. About halfway through the first map the tank had taken too much damage and I had to dump it and hoof it the rest of the way.

That was... not a fun experience.

I take it you were out of Omni-Gel and not that you were unaware you can repair the Mako, yeah?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The MSJ posted:

It's too bad Bioware didn't go all-in on the multiplayer and give you the option of getting a happy ending if you had 20k multiplayer resources or something, then had a crazy cutscene where entire mobs of N7 operatives just mow down the Reapers like it ain't poo poo. Imagine a battalion-sized group of pink Krogan Battlemasters, Turian Ghosts, N7 Destroyers, Drell Infiltrators, Geth Engineers, Asari Huntress' and Volus Adepts raining down all sorts of biotic, tech, and weapon damage during the Conduit run. The Reapers would have quit the war and run away :cool:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ineffiable posted:

But it gives you access to Flare, which is so, so good and it feels like it's making Insanity a cakewalk.

Best team now seems to be Garrus and Liara. Overload any shields you see, make sure Garrus hangs back with the sniper. Then have Liara place down singularities, and your flare will basically destroy any mook caught in it.

I've never used flare, but Insanity's already a cakewalk with base game guns and powers.

Paying to make it easier is the complete opposite of what I'd want.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

1st AD posted:

It's too bad Bioware didn't go all-in on the multiplayer and give you the option of getting a happy ending if you had 20k multiplayer resources or something, then had a crazy cutscene where entire mobs of N7 operatives just mow down the Reapers like it ain't poo poo. Imagine a battalion-sized group of pink Krogan Battlemasters, Turian Ghosts, N7 Destroyers, Drell Infiltrators, Geth Engineers, Asari Huntress' and Volus Adepts raining down all sorts of biotic, tech, and weapon damage during the Conduit run. The Reapers would have quit the war and run away :cool:

Good point. The whole readiness and war assets was so half assed ; do multiplayer to get the best possible endings! oh wait, that offends some people. Everyone gets a free participants badge!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I take it you were out of Omni-Gel and not that you were unaware you can repair the Mako, yeah?

No, I was aware that the Mako could be repaired, I just couldn't find the command for it. So I said the hell with it and just started running. By the time I realised "Holy poo poo, this is going to take forever" I was already way the gently caress away from it. I probably could have restarted the level and still done it in half the time. Stubborn.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Plus you get a bunch of fun dialog as you get to tell her all the crazy poo poo you've done up to that point, including taking down her incredibly dangerous mother without any insight from her.

Ha, I forgot about that. If I remember, it goes something like:

Liara: Well since you are real, I might as well tell you all I know about the protheans. I've been studying them for 50 years, and-

Shepard: I'm gonna stop you there, I communed with an artifact and absorbed a Cipher into my consciousness, I'm pretty solid on that front.

Liara: But...my life...

Shepard: Oh and I killed your mom. You should report to sick bay, you look tired.

Between that and calling the council just so you can hang up on them (repeatedly), Mass Effect 1's dick Shepard is a lot funnier than the rest of the series'.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ha, I forgot about that. If I remember, it goes something like:

Liara: Well since you are real, I might as well tell you all I know about the protheans. I've been studying them for 50 years, and-

Shepard: I'm gonna stop you there, I communed with an artifact and absorbed a Cipher into my consciousness, I'm pretty solid on that front.

Liara: But...my life...

Shepard: Oh and I killed your mom. You should report to sick bay, you look tired.

Between that and calling the council just so you can hang up on them (repeatedly), Mass Effect 1's dick Shepard is a lot funnier than the rest of the series'.

ME2 Shepard does have

'Hey everyone, this store discriminates against the poor!'

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just curious... Would anyone happen to know where one should be saving the character data for manually importing a Shepard from 1 to 2?

To explain... I got the ME Trilogy, and finally got around to beating 1 last night. When I went to start a new game in 2, I kept getting an error every time about how I hadn't made a configured character file every time I tried to choose the 'import from ME1' option. After a bit of conversing with some Origin reps, I eventually found out via a support article that ME2's import system was apparently designed with the intention that you would get the initial pop-up screen to appear; however, Origin just launches the game. :v:

That support article mentioned copying my ME1 save into a "secondary ME1 save folder located within the ME2 save folder structure". I'm honestly stumped, though, and can't find the folder that the article mentioned.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Waltzing Along posted:

ME1 is my favorite and it's not close. [snip] It has the best ending.
Yeah, especially the whole "From the Wreckage" sequence - its execution is nothing short of stunning.

Regalingualius posted:

That support article mentioned copying my ME1 save into a "secondary ME1 save folder located within the ME2 save folder structure". I'm honestly stumped, though, and can't find the folder that the article mentioned.
I think I used ME2's config program to automatically import ME1's games, but the support article's probably right for doing it manually. Go to the Documents/BioWare/Mass Effect 2/Save folder, then create a folder called "ME1" (so that the tree structure is "Documents/BioWare/Mass Effect 2/Save/ME1"), then put any or all of your ME1 endgame saves (the ones starting with "Char_") into the ME1 folder.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
ME1's rear end in a top hat Shepard is the best but one of my favorite lines of rear end in a top hat dialog came from ME2, with the asari cop during Samara's recruitment: "It turns out basic police work isn't that hard - you just have to leave the station."

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Ineffiable posted:

Pinnacle station is bad

Oh? Could I ask for more opinions, then? I'm getting close to the end of my second ME1 playthrough, and was thinking about picking this up. :ohdear:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Pinnacle Station is bad, it's just a stupid combat simulator in a game where the combat is terrible. The only good thing about it is you get an apartment in a podunk planet where you can replenish grenades and easily get Colossus armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Only get Pinnacle Station if you're a wacky completionist that gets anxious if you don't do everything possible there is to do in a game.

And if you do get it, turn down the difficulty while doing it. You are a bonified masochist if you do the time trials on hardcore/insanity.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 6, 2013

• Locked thread