Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

az posted:

It's an interesting angle to look at, I guess I was giving nazis too much credit for having some humanity left in them in my last post. It's sometimes difficult to believe that someone really belives the industrial slaughter of millions of people was a good thing.

It would be worth reading/watching more about the lead up to the Holocaust- I think sometimes these more nuanced lessons get lost a amongst the focus on the slaughter itself. The capability for fear, tribalism, prejudice and for people to be rallied against some perceived "Other" (especially when they themselves are also told they are superior) are unfortunately deeply human traits. The BBC has a great documentary called "The Dark Charisma of Hitler" which I think really hits upon the build up to it.

I get sort of miffed when people say (not accusing you of this but it is a related question) that something like the Holocaust happens just because of intense hatred and the policy was driven just to get rid of this population they didn't like. I would describe it more like an enormously angry and fearful population ensuing from earlier events was convinced a particular population was a parasitic cause of all their major problems and that is why it was a 'good policy'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jacobin posted:

The BBC has a great documentary called "The Dark Charisma of Hitler" which I think really hits upon the build up to it.
I think this might be one of the most hard to believe things about Hitler. Even putting aside our cultural stigmas about who he was, the footage and imagery that he himself ordered put out showed an angrily shouting, bloodthirsty man. I really find it hard to believe he could have been charismatic.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Just watch The Wave and you will probably understand it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's a huge difference between charisma and yelling what a bunch of poor angry people want to hear.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

radical meme posted:

Just for purposes of clarification, Ted Cruz's father was not a U.S. citizen at the time of Ted's birth.

The comic value question for me is: Is Ted an anchor baby?

You have to be born in the states while having foreign born parents to be a anchor baby I think. I mean unless the definition hasn't changed since I last heard it.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
So a libertarian radio host named Adam Kokesh is organizing a march on washington with open carried weapons. Considering they are not going to bother getting a permit, and will be in violation of DC gun laws, I wonder how the local police will respond. Of course, Kokesh isn't actually willing to do this unless they get a critical mass of 10,000 people to RSVP, so who knows if it will actually happen.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Roxors posted:

So a libertarian radio host named Adam Kokesh is organizing a march on washington with open carried weapons. Considering they are not going to bother getting a permit, and will be in violation of DC gun laws, I wonder how the local police will respond. Of course, Kokesh isn't actually willing to do this unless they get a critical mass of 10,000 people to RSVP, so who knows if it will actually happen.

Nothing will happen because none of those fuckheads have the balls to do it.

Fulchrum posted:

I think this might be one of the most hard to believe things about Hitler. Even putting aside our cultural stigmas about who he was, the footage and imagery that he himself ordered put out showed an angrily shouting, bloodthirsty man. I really find it hard to believe he could have been charismatic.

Then I don't think you fully understand just how bitter the German people were following WWI. Hitler was seen as a man that was fighting back against the powers that oppressed Germany. Hatred for the Treaty of Versailles was pretty much universally hated, even among leftist parties. And the thing about Hitler was yes, he was exceedingly charismatic, maybe not if you were to meet him face to face, but before a large audience he could swell the emotions of the listeners.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 6, 2013

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Roxors posted:

Open carry rallies are indistinguishable from public and aggressive shows of force. Especially because they have the same political views on basically everything else besides the one that the rally is ostensibly about. So if they were hippies instead of fascists in training (FiT!), they'd see about forty to four hundred of their own gunned down by police. I heard somewhere yesterday than National Guardsmen were no longer sent out to demonstrations with live ammunition following Kent State. I assume this is not the policy with other agencies doing crowd control. Killing students does not protect wealth (as much as some police enjoy it), and the myriad of terrifying but less-than-lethal options they have available does no less to dissuade energetic gathering.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Roxors posted:

This is a really easy way for right-wing blowhards to get press for themselves, because they know that they can just attach some arbitrary number of people who have to sign up. And then when only a few hundred fringe lunatics do sign up and the march is cancelled, they get to yell about how Obama would have had his goons open fire on peaceful citizens if they didn't have X amount of people to stop them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fulchrum posted:

But you have to remember, everything sounds angry and bloodthirsty in German if you say it with any kind of enthusiasm.

Seriously though, if you listen to the leaders of American hate groups it's really difficult to get past the disgusting things they're saying to understand their charisma, but it's certainly there.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I saw this earlier while perusing the headlines:

The Ghost of Sandra Fluke Is Haunting Rush Limbaugh's Mega-Deal

quote:

Rush Limbaugh denied that the advertiser boycott of his show after he called Sandra Fluke a slut would cost him anything, but a year later, it's clear that prediction wasn't true. It has, at the very least, cost him his relationship with the radio network giant Cumulus Media. Limbaugh's show is thinking of ending its contract with Cumulus at the end of the year, Politico's Dylan Byers reports. Cumulus CEO Lew Dickey has blamed Limbaugh for advertising losses, while Limbaugh thinks he's just making excuses. Either way, the Fluke controversy has clearly cost the radio host.

In an August earnings call, Dickey said the boycott had contributed to $5.5 million in losses at the top three of Cumulus's 40 major radio stations nationwide, Byers reports. In a March earnings call, Dickey said Cumulus's radio business had suffered "due to some of the issues that happened a year ago." Limbaugh's allies think that's not fair. "It's a very serious discussion, because Dickey keeps blaming Rush for his own revenue problems," a Limbaugh show source told Byers, saying Dickey's talk stations underperform compared to comparable talk stations.

There is periodic outrage over the things Limbaugh says on his show, and Limbaugh himself references it all the time. "This is gonna get me in trouble," is one of his favorite ways to introduce his political analysis. But while outrage over Limbaugh's politics hasn't hurt him, outrage over his creepiness has. In February 2012, Sandra Fluke (left) argued at a Democratic congressional hearing that it was necessary for insurance policies to cover birth control. Limbaugh, who apparently did not know how the birth control pill works, said she wanted taxpayers to finance her sex life. Fluke "testifies she's having so much sex she can’t afford her own birth control pills and she agrees that Obama should provide them," Limbaugh said. He explained:

"What does it say about the college co-ed Sandra Fluke, who goes before a congressional committee and essentially says that she must be paid to have sex, what does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She’s having so much sex she can’t afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex. What does that make us? We’re the pimps."

Some argued that the resulting liberal outrage would only strengthen Limbaugh. "Attempts to advance a left-wing media agenda by destroying Rush Limbaugh’s radio show will surely fail," Michael Medved argued last year. "Amid threats of a boycott, more than 98 companies have suspended their sponsorship of the Limbaugh show, but Rush and his associates insist (very plausibly) that many other firms have eagerly rushed in (you’ll pardon the expression) to fill the gap." Limbaugh even rejected longtime advertiser Sleep Train when it wanted to comeback after suspending advertising during the controversy. Today, whether Limbaugh's bosses are looking for "someone to blame" or not, it's clear Cumulus would like some of those people back.

We all know Rush tends to get away with a lot because at this point most Americans seem to just roll their eyes and go "yep, that's just Rush being Rush" but I'm really happy to see Rush getting called on his bullshit and having some consequences laid down for all his bloviating.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xarthor posted:

I saw this earlier while perusing the headlines:

The Ghost of Sandra Fluke Is Haunting Rush Limbaugh's Mega-Deal

We all know Rush tends to get away with a lot because at this point most Americans seem to just roll their eyes and go "yep, that's just Rush being Rush" but I'm really happy to see Rush getting called on his bullshit and having some consequences laid down for all his bloviating.

Capitalism and the free market at work. You'd think Rush would love it. People speaking with their wallets and such.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I'm curious, in general, if guys like Rush and other right-wing yell-show hosts have always had questionable advertisers, or if that's more of a result of nobody giving a poo poo about radio any more. Take Howard Stern, for example, who up until 3 or 4 years ago was still getting give-away prize money from movie studios and 7-11; although now he's doing live-reads for poo poo like Beezid. Were guys like Rush getting advertisers like that at one point as well, or have they always been scummy companies?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Capitalism and the free market at work. You'd think Rush would love it. People speaking with their wallets and such.
Michael Savage actually has an ad on my local station (probably a national ad?) where he whines about protecting free speech and sponsoring his show. It's a delight.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

I'm curious, in general, if guys like Rush and other right-wing yell-show hosts have always had questionable advertisers, or if that's more of a result of nobody giving a poo poo about radio any more. Take Howard Stern, for example, who up until 3 or 4 years ago was still getting give-away prize money from movie studios and 7-11; although now he's doing live-reads for poo poo like Beezid. Were guys like Rush getting advertisers like that at one point as well, or have they always been scummy companies?

They aren't all scummy. A lot of legitimate and well-regarded IT service providers advertise on right wing talk radio. I guess right wingers purchase IT supplies a lot :shrug:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Well, Rush used to be the Snapple spokesperson but I don't know if that qualifies for what you're looking for. It seems like I remember that his advertisers weren't as ludicrous in the 90's and early 00's but googling variations of "Rush" and "advertisers" just returns pages of Sandra Fluke and boycott stuff.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

ashgromnies posted:

They aren't all scummy. A lot of legitimate and well-regarded IT service providers advertise on right wing talk radio. I guess right wingers purchase IT supplies a lot :shrug:

As somebody who has had the displeasure of working with them and their hardware products, I can assure you Barracuda Networks is neither a legitimate or well regarded IT company. They are the only IT ads I ever hear on right wing stations not counting AOL, and speed up your PC web site crap ware.

They do it because they can get idiot MBA's who just opened their small business to buy their poo poo. It's really that simple.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 6, 2013

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

I remember when Rush did ads for Florida Orange Juice. There was a time when they could get fairly mainstream advertising. But the reality is these guys have been pulling hard right, and the general US population really isn't that hard right. So the combination of right-wing radio putting itself into a niche and radio generally dying means they are collectively scraping the bottom of the barrel now in terms of advertisers.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Sword of Chomsky posted:

As somebody who has had the displeasure of working with them and their hardware products, I can assure you Barracuda Networks is neither a legitimate or well regarded IT company. They are the only IT ads I ever hear on right wing stations not counting AOL, and speed up your PC web site crap ware.

They do it because they can get idiot MBA's who just opened their small business to buy their poo poo. It's really that simple.

We must have had a different experience. I've heard good things from people I know too, but that's pretty off-topic now.

So what actually happens if Rush and Cumulus end their relationship? Does that mean no more Rush on the radio?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ashgromnies posted:

So what actually happens if Rush and Cumulus end their relationship? Does that mean no more Rush on the radio?

Cumulus just owns some stations that carry Rush. Rush works for Clear Channel, not Cumulus. Rush would stop appearing on those specific radio stations and other stations in those areas would start to carry his show instead. It doesn't matter, though, since this is all just Cumulus blaming a year old controversy for their own failed business model in a declining medium. They aren't really going to drop Rush.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The story is that Rush was reportedly threatening to leave them because they dared mention that his Fluke saga cost them millions.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/05/rush-limbaugh-may-leave-cumulus-163282.html

The party of personal responsibility: Where you are entitled to be mad at someone because they mentioned that your idiocy cost them money.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

It gets better...

Politico posted:

The way Mike Huckabee's handlers talked about it in 2012, "The Mike Huckabee Show" was going to give talk radio king Rush Limbaugh a run for his money. Instead, just over a year after the show's launch, Huckabee is already considering calling it quits.

"Within the next month, I’ll decide if I want to continue it or not. I know we will, but it’s just such an incredibly intensive process that I really have to decide that I want to spend that kind of time,” he told Arkansas Business on Monday. “I’ve got to always weigh how much time I’m putting in it and what the return is. How long it will take to make it what I call hopefully disgustingly profitable. That’s what one always hopes for in a deal like this.”

Huckabee's remarks came in the wake of reports that Limbaugh himself was threatening to part ways with Cumulus Media, Huckabee's syndicator and the owner of 40 channels that carry Limbaugh's program. Cumulus Media is holding an earnings call on Tuesday, during which CEO Lew Dickey may shed more light on both Huckabee and Limbaugh's futures with the company.

Huckabee was Cumulus' answer for a homegrown Limbaugh alternative they didn't need to pay affiliate fees for, since he probably makes 1/3-1/2 or so of what Cumulus is paying for Limbaugh just in Chicago. Huckabee is also crying that he spends 7 hours a day prepping for the show so he either has the industry's worst staff (It's Cumulus, so it's possible) or reads the junk they hand him at a snail's pace. Since they've failed to dislodge the Clear Channel owned Rush at their own NY or Chicago stations, and apparently aren't pulling in the non-Cumulus owned affiliates in sufficient numbers I wonder if Mike is worried about a paycut coming his way.

Another fun situation is going to be Hannity's new contract next year. From the leftovers of ABC Radio's days his deal is a partnership between Clear Channel and Cumulus, but I can't see the Cumulus wanting to keep paying him so even when the Rush-Huckabee mess is settled that will be coming up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let me be the first to say if Cumulus drops Rush, and he strikes a deal with XM, I am canceling my XM subscription so fast and telling them exactly loving why.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Last year in New York, Clear Channel bought WOR, an AM station with as huge as a signal as Cumulus-owned WABC, Rush's current station. Everybody in radio following this assumes that the first chance Clear Channel gets, Rush is going to WOR. So I think all of this is pretty much just Rush drumming up publicity for when this happens.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Huckabee is also crying that he spends 7 hours a day prepping for the show so he either has the industry's worst staff (It's Cumulus, so it's possible) or reads the junk they hand him at a snail's pace.

Meanwhile, one of Limbaugh's interns shows him the wikipedia page for "chopped and screwed" music 10 years after it's relevant, and he's capable of somehow putting together a segment out of it that slams Obama for... uhh... something or other. Limbaugh and Beck and Levin may be evil incarnate, but the top conservative radio guys are are amazingly gifted at what they do. They're basically improv artists; give them a one-word suggestion and they can fill an hour of air-time that convincingly ties it into a massive liberal conspiracy.

I haven't listened to Huckablee, but what's his tone/narrative like? Is he trying to mimic the current market and just not talented enough to do it without a full day of prep+planning? Or is he trying to put together a logical and well-researched alternative? The latter would be incredibly naive, there's no listener base looking for reasonable discourse and no successful talk-radio personalities who follow that model. Not just in politics; every sports, financial, and advice radio show around features blowhard hosts who use their rhetorical talents and total control of the discourse to seem like geniuses compared to their less erudite callers and guests, regardless of facts/reality. Even shows I enjoy, like Loveline and Car Talk, clearly use this model.

Sword of Chomsky posted:

There's stuff like Carbonite and GoToMyPC too; that fills a legitimate need but is overpriced and takes advantage of un-savvy people who wouldn't know about the ubiquity of cheaper alternatives. Scummy, but they come off as fairly benign compared to the blatant scams that usually fill those ad slots. It's not just conservative talk losing all their credible sponsors, I hear the same poo poo about herbal remedies and investment advice and overpriced tech services on apolitical talk-shows too. There's a lot of podcast/radio overlap too, it's weird hearing Marc Maron, Earwolf, Jim Rome, and Limbaugh all pimping stamps.com and legalzoom.com using similar copy and the same selling points. I don't know anyone who's actually used those so I'm not sure if they're legit or not.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
If they're selling over priced products to White Republicans and ripping them off in the process... well. Good for them. Could not care less that they're scamming scammers.

ed

Breitbart is awesome. Top 5 headlines are 1 - 4 MEDIA IS IGNORING BENGHAZI with 5 being MEDIA PICKS UP BENGHAZI STORY BUT TOO LITTLE TOO LATE.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 7, 2013

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

little munchkin posted:

Meanwhile, one of Limbaugh's interns shows him the wikipedia page for "chopped and screwed" music 10 years after it's relevant, and he's capable of somehow putting together a segment out of it that slams Obama for... uhh... something or other. Limbaugh and Beck and Levin may be evil incarnate, but the top conservative radio guys are are amazingly gifted at what they do. They're basically improv artists; give them a one-word suggestion and they can fill an hour of air-time that convincingly ties it into a massive liberal conspiracy.

I haven't listened to Huckablee, but what's his tone/narrative like? Is he trying to mimic the current market and just not talented enough to do it without a full day of prep+planning? Or is he trying to put together a logical and well-researched alternative? The latter would be incredibly naive, there's no listener base looking for reasonable discourse and no successful talk-radio personalities who follow that model. Not just in politics; every sports, financial, and advice radio show around features blowhard hosts who use their rhetorical talents and total control of the discourse to seem like geniuses compared to their less erudite callers and guests, regardless of facts/reality. Even shows I enjoy, like Loveline and Car Talk, clearly use this model.

I've seen Hannity work and his show prep once he's on site is literally pulling up the Drudge Report and pulling up a stack of those live reads for gold and boner pills. It is really impressive to watch and something most smaller talk show hosts never quite grasp, you need to work in some style to your hackery.

As for Huckabee, he came into the radio arena during the heart of Fluke Mania and was peddled as "Conversation, not confrontation", and they really played up his Aww Shucks persona. Much like in politics he'll say the occasional incredibly vile thing, but he'll do it with a smile and a joke so alot of time it just slides through. That said 90% of his show is pure distilled stupid and saying "Good Point!" or "Nice call" to perhaps the dumbest stable of callers on the radio.

Funny thing is, Cumulus management is right when they've said hyperpartisanship is bad for the talk format, but they're just not smart (Or willing to invest) enough to pull it off. They've brought in Geraldo Rivera and Huckabee and apparently told them instead of changing things up with more viewpoints and discussion, just take everything to the dumbest common denominator and it's not working. Their other big hire, Michael Savage was just to stash him away so nobody else put him on against Hannity or Levin. According to Talkers Magazine his audience has dropped from (Radio world exaggerated) 9,000,000 a week, to 2-3 and some people say under 1.

Another bit of good news is that Rush's contract with Clear Channel ends in 2016, and I doubt he'll want to take the paycut CC will force on him to sign another. He may go to XM/Sirius but ask Stern fans it's not the same. Just imagine the beauty of Limbaugh, who made himself saying every nasty thing he could think of under the sun about anyone with the last name of Clinton riding off into the sunset with Hillary winning the Presidency...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Their other big hire, Michael Savage was just to stash him away so nobody else put him on against Hannity or Levin. According to Talkers Magazine his audience has dropped from (Radio world exaggerated) 9,000,000 a week, to 2-3 and some people say under 1.

Good. Michael Savage is a goddamn fascist, and him falling off into frustrated obscurity is the best thing that could happen outside of him dying in a car wreck.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

greatn posted:

Let me be the first to say if Cumulus drops Rush, and he strikes a deal with XM, I am canceling my XM subscription so fast and telling them exactly loving why.

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet. XM has no reason to exist except in rural areas with poor FM/cellular reception, areas which tend to trend conservative.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I know it's coming but I haven't seen it touched on yet: Sooner rather than later, one of these assholes is going to get into the subject of the Cleveland kidnapper and talk about how he's a leftist/immigrant or whatever. It sickens to me to know it's going to happen; if it hasn't already.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

little munchkin posted:

Meanwhile, one of Limbaugh's interns shows him the wikipedia page for "chopped and screwed" music 10 years after it's relevant, and he's capable of somehow putting together a segment out of it that slams Obama for... uhh... something or other.

That episode was just plain surreal. I legitimately thought Limbaugh was having a stroke during the show, at first. It was like he bet someone that he could hit the random article button on wikipedia and just do a whole show about how the result proved Obama was bad.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
So what is the "Benghazi cover-up" about? What do think think actually happened? I've never really heard anyone articulate it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

That episode was just plain surreal. I legitimately thought Limbaugh was having a stroke during the show, at first. It was like he bet someone that he could hit the random article button on wikipedia and just do a whole show about how the result proved Obama was bad.

I must've missed this. What on earth does chopped and screwed have to do with Obama?

e. like, did he admit to liking Paul Wall or something? did obama kill pimp c??

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

I know it's coming but I haven't seen it touched on yet: Sooner rather than later, one of these assholes is going to get into the subject of the Cleveland kidnapper and talk about how he's a leftist/immigrant or whatever. It sickens to me to know it's going to happen; if it hasn't already.

'You can predict someone's character by their blood' is literally one of the most UnAmerican assertions they can make. I wonder how many people will parrot it if it becomes the norm.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Obama had a "save ALL the lives" button, but held it, menacingly watching all the Americans get killed on live drone feed, while masturbating furiously, and Hillary Clinton personally ordered all security to not protect anyone, salivating.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bpower posted:

So what is the "Benghazi cover-up" about? What do think think actually happened? I've never really heard anyone articulate it.

Well you see it's like this. Something HAD TO HAVE HAPPENED because OBAMA IS BAD, and we want it to happen so CLEARLY IT DID.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Seoinin posted:

I must've missed this. What on earth does chopped and screwed have to do with Obama?

Who the gently caress knows? You're welcome to try to parse this poo poo yourself but I wouldn't recommend it

Rush posted:

RUSH: I'm telling you, people were OD'ing on Robitussin. This DJ Screw guy died of a Robitussin overdose. Robo-tripping was a predecessor of chopped and screwed, and you can't leave out purple drank when talking about this stuff, either, folks. That's another form of OD'ing with codeine. Not cool, but they do it.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Look, folks, I want to explain where this all got started. I can imagine some of you out there today, "What the hell are you talking about, chopped and screwed and robo-tripping and purple drank?" We've gotta go back to yesterday to bring this up speed, to put this all in context, so that you understand what is going on here, because we're not gonna accomplish anything if you're in the dark and don't get it, and I don't ever want that to be the case.

Yesterday I began a discussion. Everybody is pulling their hair out. Like the CVS thing today. CVS drugstores have told their employees, "You've gotta show us your weight, your blood sugar, every health aspect of you, you've gotta go get checked, and your employment hinges on it. And if you smoke you gotta go to an addiction rehab thing. We're not gonna have it." It's all part of Obamacare. Obamacare is demanding this. But the employees at CVS are not mad at Obama, they're not mad at Obamacare. They're mad at CVS. They think CVS is doing this. Not Obama. They're not associating the government with it.

Now, you and I, we're at our wits' end. We've been waiting for something to wake people in the country up. I was talking about the futility of all this. The payroll tax holiday ended on January 1st, so people's take-home pay in their first check of this year was smaller. Bernie Marcus, cofounder, Home Depot, said yesterday that most employees are not blaming the government. They are blaming their employers for not paying them as much. So in a discussion yesterday of a prediction I have made -- you know, words, we've exhausted every word there is. We've tried every which way from Sunday to Monday to persuade people about what's going on.

I said, "It's gonna take an event that wakes people up." And I said, "Not a hurricane, not a natural disaster. It's gonna take something like Obama on an open mic openly dissing Justin Timberlake's latest CD that just totally ticks people off and turns 'em against Obama." And in describing that, I mentioned that something similar might be happening with Beyonce, because Beyonce has a new album out with a new single that is a 180 from the way Beyonce used to be before she hooked up with Jay-Z, Destiny's Child. Back in those days she was urging women to not take it, be independent, don't be part of some guy's harem or any of that. You stand up for yourself.

Now she's got a song called Bow Down, Bitches, Bow Down, B-i-itches, and it is basically, take it, like she's done. She's gone out, she found a guy, she got married, and it's all worth it now. And there was a story in some UK newspaper in which she is universally ripped to shreds for this. She's being criticized to no end for the 180 she's done by a pop critic in a UK news story. I read that story and I comment on it as only I can, and I'm the only one that adds the word b-i-itches to the title, which is in there but nobody else was adding.

So today the New York radio station 1010 WINS is doing a story, the New York Daily News, all these people doing a story on what I am saying about Beyonce, and all I did was hold a mirror up to them. I hold a mirror up, they see themselves, and they blame me. That begot my playing sound bites today of the examples of me taking Beyonce to task for no longer being a feminist, and one of the sound bites was from channel 11 in Houston, and here it is.

minist, and one of the sound bites was from channel 11 in Houston, and here it is.

RON TREVINO: Stars like R&B singer Keyshia Cole are calling Beyonce a hypocrite since she normally promotes girl power. Twitter is still going crazy with fans who refuse to bow down. And Rush Limbaugh even weighing in here claiming it's bad for the president since Beyonce rubs elbows with the Obamas. People here in Houston say the rest of the world just doesn't get it because the song pays homage to Houston's "chop and screw" music style.

RUSH: What?

LILY JANG: Twitter. A lot of people think she's overexposed. Let her just be.

RON TREVINO: Chop and screw. All right.

RUSH: Okay, there you heard it, the chop and screw music style in Houston. Well, quite naturally people said, "What in the name of Sam Hill is that?" So we began to explain what the chop and screw music style is in Houston. It's a way of remixing music. And here are the roots of it. It goes back to the nineties, back in the days when people would go to clubs all overdosed and revved up on Robitussin. It's called robo-tripping. If you've taken a lot of Robitussin, before they came out with the nonalcoholic stuff, it did do weird things to you if you took enough of it. And people would go to the clubs and trip on it. And so the DJ, a guy by the name of Robert "DJ Screw" is the guy who came up with the mix. He's in Houston. He died of a Robitussin overdose, folks.

Have you ever heard of that? Robert "DJ Screw" Davis came up with the chop and screw. He mixed it based on people in clubs who were all hopped up. When you're hopped up on Robitussin you're actually slowed down. So it's a way of mixing the music, skipping beats and so forth to replicate what's happening in your body. You can go to the iTunes App Store, chop and screw your iTunes music. You can apply this mix to your iTunes music if you want. So we've had various experts in the discipline in this artistry call us today to further explain it. And we have Rob from Dagsboro, Delaware. He claimed he'd be listening since he was 19. He thinks he's the only Delaware listener listening to this program. By the way, there's two more that I know, Robert, so you're one of three at least.

CALLER: I was saying in my age-group 'cause there's no young guys --

RUSH: You might be surprised. But regardless, Robert here wants to explain, he is a chop and screw artist, and he wants to explain it in ways that you laypeople might understand it. So take a stab at this, my man.

CALLER: Okay. Just like in the late sixties, early seventies, when people would drop acid or smoke pot, they listened to Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead and Phish. That type of music was for those type of people, pretty much. And now the people that listen to the chop and screwed, not all of them, some people just like the music, but, you know, a lot of 'em --

RUSH: But it's hip-hop music that you're remixing, right? It's hip-hop.

CALLER: Well, it's anything. There's been, you know, hip-hop, pop music, rock. I mean, a little bit of everything.

RUSH: So the chop and screw discipline could be applied to Pink Floyd if you wanted to?

CALLER: Oh, absolutely. Everything is being remixed already by DJ's just trying to get recognition from it, you know?

RUSH: Okay, cool.

CALLER: But I think people are more intrigued by the lifestyle. They'll listen to it, be like, yeah, it's just slowed down 40 beats per minute or whatever. Maybe I should try the Robitussin. Maybe it will sound different. And, you know.

RUSH: The key is, why is it slow? Why try to replicate what people are experiencing while robo-tripping? You slow it down, right?

CALLER: Well, I guess it's make more album sales because, you know, kids, it's readily available for 'em to go to your CVS or your Walgreens, get DXM or Robitussin or, you know, even Benadryl, you know, and take as much as they can and turn on this music and listen to it. It's an experience that the rappers glorified.

RUSH: Right. So the mix tried to replicate the way people felt while they were doing the Purple Drank or the robo-tripping or what have you?

CALLER: That would be it, yes.

RUSH: Exactly, there we go. And the guy who invented it overdosed on Robitussin.

CALLER: Yep.

RUSH: Robert "DJ Screw." His last name was Davis. The only reason this came up is because the chopped and screw crowd in Houston is also dissing Beyonce for her Bow Down song. So, Rob, thank you for taking the time to call and explain this to the audience who is dying to know what this was all about.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Well you see it's like this. Something HAD TO HAVE HAPPENED because OBAMA IS BAD, and we want it to happen so CLEARLY IT DID.

I had to turn Limbaugh off after thirty minutes today because of the Benghazi repetition. I wasn't even offended, just bored. I instead listened to Alex Jones and his neverending "black ops" theories. At least he can change a topic.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

bpower posted:

The "narrative" is that there were calls for help and someone in the administration specifically prevented that help from coming. Since then, the administration has "prevented" the survivors from testifying. Whatever that means. Apparently one or two of them have been leaking info that is damaging to the administration and the admin is "suppressing" them. This person is some how getting this info out there yet no one knows who any of the survivors are.

So, basically, "he said this" but we don't know who "he" is or what he said specifically. Oh and Righties are pissed because Obama's not so quick on the frothing rhetoric.

From what it looks like, there was so much poo poo going on and the help that was just "right around the corner" actually wasn't and no one has testified because it just hasn't gotten around to happening yet and the whistle blower is probably a complete fabrication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Who the gently caress knows? You're welcome to try to parse this poo poo yourself but I wouldn't recommend it

Ok y'know what, I'm just gonna pretend he was ranting about how Obama killed Pimp C and Nate Dogg to cover up his plan to blow up the projects because haha what the hell.

e. yes please, Rush, give the robotripping a try. I hear it can exacerbate sleep apnea. Pound a whole case you weirdo hog.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 7, 2013