Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Most of my nonstick cookware is just about toast, so I'm looking to replace it all with some stainless steel stuff tonight. It's pretty rare for me to cook, so I'd rather not spend a lot of money. To that end I'm not really looking for brand recommendations (I've seen what's on the first page of the thread), but are there any brands I should seriously avoid for any reason?

Also, is there something I should look for on the packaging or whatever to verify that the cookware will work OK with induction heaters? My range is an electric-coil stove and it is so awful, I'd like to try to use my induction cooker when I can for something besides my cast-iron skillet.

If you don't cook much then disc-bottom cookware should be fine. Tri-ply is much nicer for a variety of reasons, but it's usually quite a bit more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Right now Cuisinart's MCP 12 piece set is $160 through May 31 at Costco online. Not sure what the store price is right now, it fluctuates a lot.
http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart%AE-...1&storeId=10301

Several people here have this set and are pretty happy with it.

(Price jumped up high lately on Amazon for some reason)

Probably the best deal you'll find for tri-ply. If you think you can get disc bottom cookware for a lot cheaper then go for it.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Right now Cuisinart's MCP 12 piece set is $160 through May 31 at Costco online. Not sure what the store price is right now, it fluctuates a lot.
http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart%AE-...1&storeId=10301

Hear hear, I have this set and it's fantastic, on par with All-Clad. And I can't imagine finding anything much cheaper.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll probably snap that up then, depending on this: I spotted this T-Fal set at Target earlier, for $90. I'm gonna guess it doesn't have a candle on the Cuisinart set (and I'm guessing it's the 'disc bottom' you all mention). That said, given that I don't cook often and I'm a total rookie anyway, is there anything seriously flawed about this set? (Or is T-Fal a dirty word in this forum? :v:)

(edit) Oops, the one at Target has one less sauce pan than this set. Explains the price difference. Oh well, my tiny-rear end apartment doesn't have much cabinet space anyway, so question stands.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 1, 2013

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I'm looking at buying an indoor smoker for my boyfriend's birthday. This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846 seems highly regarded- does anyone have any other recommendations?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

in_cahoots posted:

I'm looking at buying an indoor smoker for my boyfriend's birthday. This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846 seems highly regarded- does anyone have any other recommendations?

I would recommend an outdoor smoker.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

in_cahoots posted:

http://www.vapeworld.com/volcano-vaporizer

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'll probably snap that up then, depending on this: I spotted this T-Fal set at Target earlier, for $90. I'm gonna guess it doesn't have a candle on the Cuisinart set (and I'm guessing it's the 'disc bottom' you all mention). That said, given that I don't cook often and I'm a total rookie anyway, is there anything seriously flawed about this set? (Or is T-Fal a dirty word in this forum? :v:)

(edit) Oops, the one at Target has one less sauce pan than this set. Explains the price difference. Oh well, my tiny-rear end apartment doesn't have much cabinet space anyway, so question stands.

They're probably fine. The Cuisinart set is a better value, but if you really just want something cheap and stainless then I don't see how the the T-Fal wouldn't be OK. Maybe you would be better off buying a few individual pieces rather than a set?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ciaphas posted:

If you don't cook often and are a rookie, I'd avoid stainless pans.

I got some T-fal nonsticks as a gift one time and I wasn't a huge fan. The non-stick comes off pretty easily.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ciaphas posted:

There's a comparable Cuisinart set on sale on Amazon right now for $129. Get that one if you can't afford the $160 one or don't want the extra pan(s).

Edit: As to the 'avoid stainless' pans - well, if you ever want to not be a rookie or don't mind learning proper techniques there's no reason to get an all non-stick set. Just make sure to keep one around for eggs - literally everything else I've ever cooked has been just fine in stainless.

I see that there. fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 1, 2013

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

dalstrs posted:

I would recommend an outdoor smoker.

I live in an apartment without a porch, unfortunately.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I see that there. posted:

There's a comparable Cuisinart set on sale on Amazon right now for $129.
Just note that this is disc bottom and doesn't include a 12" skillet

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

in_cahoots posted:

I live in an apartment without a porch, unfortunately.

skip the indoor smoker, it's a very poor idea, unless you have an industrial strength venthood. get him a cold smoker or something like http://cuisinetechnology.com/the-smoking-gun.php if you're dead set on it.

edit or I was serious about the volcano.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

mindphlux posted:

edit or I was serious about the volcano.

Wait what. Can you elaborate?

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Steve Yun posted:

Just note that this is disc bottom and doesn't include a 12" skillet

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize that.
Spring for the higher cost set.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

novamute posted:

Wait what. Can you elaborate?

He gets so high unsmoked food tastes smoked?

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
The smoking guns are terrible quality and fall apart enough that you really need two people to use them (one to light, the other to direct the smoke and keep the gun/hose from falling apart).

Most vaporizers, on the other hand, are so easy a stoner could use them.

So does Grant Achatz.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I see that there. posted:

There's a comparable Cuisinart set on sale on Amazon right now for $129. Get that one if you can't afford the $160 one or don't want the extra pan(s).

Edit: As to the 'avoid stainless' pans - well, if you ever want to not be a rookie or don't mind learning proper techniques there's no reason to get an all non-stick set. Just make sure to keep one around for eggs - literally everything else I've ever cooked has been just fine in stainless.

Trying to learn is the whole point of this endeavor (that and my nonstick stuff is chipped and worn out); I just don't want to spend a ton of money when my own lack of knowledge/practice is more likely a factor than the quality of the cookware, is all. So much the better if I don't have to replace all the pans in a few years like I just did for nonstick, so stainless it is. :v:

Thanks all for the recommendations :)

(side note, is there something wrong with trying to cook eggs in stainless steel besides needing butter/oil?)

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Trying to learn is the whole point of this endeavor (that and my nonstick stuff is chipped and worn out); I just don't want to spend a ton of money when my own lack of knowledge/practice is more likely a factor than the quality of the cookware, is all. So much the better if I don't have to replace all the pans in a few years like I just did for nonstick, so stainless it is. :v:

Thanks all for the recommendations :)

(side note, is there something wrong with trying to cook eggs in stainless steel besides needing butter/oil?)

I'd just get the cuisinart unless 70 bucks is a deal breaker.

Cooking eggs in stainless requires a lot of butter and careful temperature control and it's a hassle unless you've done it 1000 times. The benefits of clad stainless don't really factor in if you're just frying an egg, definitely not in comparison to how easy it is to cook and clean with non-stick. Certain things, like a French scramble, still work better in stainless.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ciaphas posted:

It just typically takes a poo poo ton of oil/butter and is a pain in the rear end.
Even a cheap rear end non-stick, you can hit with some Pam, crack an egg, put a couple drops of water in the lid, cover, and insta-steam to whatever eggy-ness you prefer without thinking.

Everything else, though, is better in the stainless. The first three times you use it and accidentally get something stuck will teach you how delicious fond is, while simultaneously telling you how you need to watch what you're browning/sautee'ing. Don't be afraid, you'll be a better cook for it.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I've recently switched my egg frying from nonstick+pam to cast iron+peanut oil. I really like the results, but then I also like the yolk hard so what do I know.

I'm surprised in all the sharpening talk that no one has mentioned belt sanders. You can get a little one at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool (or whatever your local chinese tool vendor is) for the price of a waterstone, or less. They're indispensable for setting the angle on your blade. A lot of kitchen knives come with terrible edges and redoing them with a stone takes _forever_. I finish with a waterstone or spyderco sharpmaker, but the basic edge angle I do with the sander.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AnnoyBot posted:

I'm surprised in all the sharpening talk that no one has mentioned belt sanders. You can get a little one at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool (or whatever your local chinese tool vendor is) for the price of a waterstone, or less. They're indispensable for setting the angle on your blade. A lot of kitchen knives come with terrible edges and redoing them with a stone takes _forever_. I finish with a waterstone or spyderco sharpmaker, but the basic edge angle I do with the sander.
That's a pretty good way to gently caress up the temper on a blade. You have to go really loving slow and use really light pressure, at which point you're probably better off just sharpening using a stone. If reprofiling is taking to long with a stone, you're using the wrong stone.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I think some factories use belt sander for their factory grind.

In saying that, I got my ebay fake Chinese edge pro today, $30, and reprofiled the bevel of two cheap knifes I had quickly with the reportedly crap OEM stones. Used it on a mundial slicer and utility knife.
The existing edge was about 22deg, so a fair bit of metal had to come off.
I set them to 15 deg easily in less than 10 min each though, with the included 180, 400, 800 and 1500 stones.
Still not where I want them, but a massive improvement in their use.
Mainly I was just testing the machine and stones on two knives I don't care about. Going to buy and mount some stones from congress tools like I mentioned a couple of weeks ago in this thread.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 2, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I received this microplane today. I guess I didn't really look at the picture of it being used on the website because it's way bigger than I expected it to be (which is not a bad thing).

Now to zest everything!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
A soundtrack happened to that post. I just saw iggy pop's "lust (zest) for life" happen.
I had my trials and tribulations happen, seems a knife magnet bar from amazon costs $20 to ship alone, like added that to a bulk buy no matter what I ordered, so 86'ed that.
Got dino's book, a 10" victorinox chefs knife, (just to see how I would get along with that compared to a 8"), I'm guessing bad as there's not much room here. Plus I got the victorinox boning knife and a fillet knife.
Followed Chef De Cuisinart's tip and got a torijo gyuto, dropped the petty, and picked up instead a nakiri. The nakiri was close call, was looking at a usaba or kama-usaba. But I don't really have any experience at single edged knives and not a fan of the pointed tip veg knife or slicer type knife. I have the felix german made santoku anyway, I just went for the flattest blade nakiri style knife I could find.
Edit: just got to source a decent wall magnet knife rack, most of them have two edges/rows of magnets, one's bad enough worrying about blade damage! Seems the earlier amazon link and what seems like global uses is similar to this one: http://www.everten.com.au/Avanti-Magforce-Magnetic-Rack.html So I'll guess I'll go for that.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 3, 2013

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
How about recommendations for a good mini food processor/chopper? My friend just doesn't like using a knife much, and also dislikes pulling out and cleaning the full-size food processor for 1 person cooking when you need small amounts chopped like 1 onion or 2 tomatoes.

I mentioned how much I like the chopper attachment for my stick blender, and he is hooked on the idea.

This would really be for chopping small quantities of veg, and the reviews on these are for pulverizing nuts, making pesto, etc.

Any advice, or will they all pretty much work the same? Price is not an issue so much as quality.

Also, what's the current consensus on woks? I've heard the term 'carbon steel' but not sure what the difference is. I've always just used the one I got from the equipment section of the asian grocery store.

EVG fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 4, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
I picked up a mini kitchenaid food processor at Kohls for $10 2 years ago that I like. Great for doing small stuff like pesto, etc.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

EVG posted:

I mentioned how much I like the chopper attachment for my stick blender, and he is hooked on the idea.

This is what I use and I like it better than just having an actual mini food processor.

edit: I have a GE that I like, but this one has good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-HB-...ds=hand+blender

GigaFool fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 4, 2013

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'm looking for a blender specifically for the purposes of making daily protein smoothies, the idea being that I only want a single serving and I don't want to have to messy up a giant pitcher every day for just that. I saw this at Bed Bath and Beyond: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17588915 and I like the idea of having multiple cups that I can just take and go, no need to even transfer the contents and plenty of clean cups so I don't have to worry about immediate cleanup if I do use a different container. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this or had any other recommendations to give.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shere posted:

I'm looking for a blender specifically for the purposes of making daily protein smoothies, the idea being that I only want a single serving and I don't want to have to messy up a giant pitcher every day for just that. I saw this at Bed Bath and Beyond: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17588915 and I like the idea of having multiple cups that I can just take and go, no need to even transfer the contents and plenty of clean cups so I don't have to worry about immediate cleanup if I do use a different container. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this or had any other recommendations to give.
Beep boop blender wisdom from the hive mind message incoming Vitamix repeat Vitamix if too poor for Vitamix then Ninja message concludes this has been the hive mind beep boop.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Beep boop blender wisdom from the hive mind message incoming Vitamix repeat Vitamix if too poor for Vitamix then Ninja message concludes this has been the hive mind beep boop.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Blender chat was on page 82/83. Everyone loves the vitamix, so about the cuisinart... :shrug:

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

Shere posted:

Luckily I just purchased this exact blender, and I love it. I used it just the other day making a shake in just the cup rather than the bigger blender part and it worked like a charm, I was really impressed. I can have a regular shake and my husband can put protein powder in his and we are set, just clean up the cups and the blade part thing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Shere posted:

I used to buy overspecialized stuff like this to provide for bright ideas that I had for my life. Then I realized that it's probably a better buy to just get a blender that is plain great at blending so that even if I stop taking my protein smoothies/want to use it for something else I'd still have a great tool for it. Kitchen equipment is tools.

Plus your smoothies will be much more smooth in something like a ninja.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Thanks guys, I can see how it's overspecialized and that a Ninja or Vitamix would be better. Ninja actually makes something that fits what I'm looking for also. The blender I have is cheap and ancient, so that's on the way out anyway. If I could satisfy both needs that would be great too, but maybe I'll just get one of the actual full blenders from a few pages back.

Also thanks for you experience with the one I linked, Mean Bean. At least I know I can cave in and grab that if I want!

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Feel the Power... With Pulse Technology

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How much margin of error is there with something like that, to go from 'salsa' to 'smoothie'

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Bob Morales posted:

How much margin of error is there with something like that, to go from 'salsa' to 'smoothie'

Depends on the blender.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Are there any risks with using a lower-end honing steel (Besides handle-based issues)? I ask because I see a Winco 12" hone for like $10, and others seem to run in the ballpark of $25-$30. Such a simple object I'm not really even sure what to compare.

Bonus question- is this actually a sharpener or is it a hone? Lansky "mini crock stick"
I bought it as a sharpener before learning the difference between sharpening and honing, and have been using it frequently (like before every use). If it's a hone that's perfect, but if it's a sharpener I should probably stop doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
If you still want the single serving thing, just get a mason jar and some attachment.

• Locked thread