Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm glad I specifically placed two orders: Book, Dice, GM Kit, and another order with EVERYTHING ELSE that I was getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gravy Train Robber posted:

This is breaking my heart. I move around so often I can't justify buying physical books anymore and get just about everything in pdf. Where did you find this info?

Something on the FFG forums, I think in the thread about the delay of the book. Granted it was a single post and might be bullshit. At least I hope it is.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885
Trip report from Escape From Mos Shuutta that we played a few weeks ago. Spoilers for those who haven't played it, since it's very on-rails. I'll actually use spoiler tags if people think it's a good idea:

We had 4 players, two who were very experienced players (Oskara and Vex) and two newbies (Mathus and Pash). Oskara joined us over Skype (oddly enough using the online dice tool someone here created, so thanks for that!).

At the cantina, everyone tried to hide in plain sight at tables and such (terrible, but hilarious idea) - Oskara failed the roll to hide (knocked a bunch of drinks over) but generated a ton of advantage (found a wallet with 75 credits in it). Vex sat down opposite a grizzled old mercenary and rolled a stellar set of success/advantage when negotiating with him to help fight the gamorreans. I wasn't expecting anyone to try something like that so I had to make up some quick stats for the merc on the fly, but with this system it was really easy and took literally 30 seconds.

Pash tried the door at the back of the stage and upon discovering it was locked, instead of trying to pick it, tried to run back to a table to hide there but the Gamorreans burst in and spotted him right off, attacking him. The old mercenary immediately pulled his blaster out and shot a gamorrean in the back of the head with a crazy roll and dropped him.

The fight was on, one gamorrean attacked the mercenary and hit him in the throat, downing him, while the rest of the fight ran all over the bar. Mathus tried to fight one of the piggies with shock gloves but missed, with his advantage though I had him hit the pig's axe, causing it to become electrified.

They eventually took out the piggies with one running away, then Vex offered to help heal the mercenary if the guy gave him information - this was a perfect opportunity to tell the group about Trex and his ship/spaceport control. Some coercion later and the merc gave up the info. Vex barely heals him with some crap rolls and they leave him cursing on the floor (I plan on bringing him back as a nemesis down the road sometime).

The junkyard scene went well, Mathus offered to fix the speeder and droid if the seller dropped the price, which the PC's were happy with.

They broke into the spaceport easily enough, but when confronted by the Spaceport control manager they immediately shot her in the face (the PC's felt bad about this afterwards and said next time, they'd try negotiating first) and then duked it out with the security droids.

Mathus failed an easy difficulty check to turn the docking clamps off, so they coerced one of the tech assistants into helping them, then they shot up the communications panel and used binders on the rest of the techs.

They got about halfway to the docking port when a group of two stormtroopers spotted them, kicking off a heated battle around a water tower. Oskara was the only one with any real firepower, so she ended up doing the brunt of the damage - Vex and Mathus got a couple of good shots off but Pash had miserable rolls. As the group of stormtroopers closest to them moved into engaged range, the Long range troopers continued to fire. (For this combat I tried having all of the stormtroopers attack/roll separately without bonuses to test out the system and difficulty a bit) - they missed but generated advantage on every shot, which hit the water tower above the PC's. Spotting an opportunity, Oskara aimed at a weakened strut nearest the approaching ST's and fired, generating the only triumph for the entire session. The water tower collapsed on top of the ST's, killing one and stunning another (the third was already dead).

They used that opportunity to escape into an alley, and when the ST's followed Vex got a great roll on a stun grenade (the rules for stun grenades on minions are confusing, as they have no strain, and it made no sense to me that they would take serious wounds from a stun grenade, so I had them all miss a round of combat, which worked out ok. I feel like next time I would add setback or difficulty dice to their rolls next time instead). The PC's finished off the stormtroopers, looted some bodies before taking off before reinforcements could arrive.

At the docking port, they did a great job of talking their way past the droids (they had the part after all) and claimed to be there to fix it, they also convinced Trex they were a maintenance crew (knowing what I know now, I would probably not have let them on the ship, but everyone was having fun so I let a lot slide). Trex had the droids guard the PC's while they were installing the hyper drive thingy, when he got a call to the bridge. The PC's, realising it was probably a heads up from Teemo or the imperials, took the initiative and began firing at the droids while Mathus continued to work (I had him roll again with higher difficulty due to the strain).

Trex rounded the corner and took a huge hit from both Oskara and Pash in quick succession, blasting him out of sight. Pash ran down the corridor after him while the PC's finished off the droids, but just saw a trail of green blood leading down the ramp and out of the ship. He tried to chase after him, but four squads of storm troopers arrived in the docking bay and began firing at him. With the hyperdrive reactor installed, it was time to go! They broke out of atmosphere and started squabbling over where to go when 4 tie fighters attacked them, and I ended the adventure there. We hit 4 hours exactly, which was perfect as far as timing goes.

Overall the group really enjoyed it, so much so that we have 6 players and another in the wings for Sunday when we begin Long Arm of the Hutt.

As a GM, I love the flowing narrative - if you generate lots of advantage/threat and don't want to come up with a little story 'you dropped your blaster!' every time, you can just shunt it to boost/setback, advantages for other players, etc. to keep things moving. I found combat to be a little on the easy side, but it was a beginning adventure. Some of the group did take damage, and Vex was healing them after encounters. I will be pumping up the difficulty for the next session (especially with 2 more players) and will play it by ear if they start getting beaten too badly. No one can die in the beginner campaign, but they don't know that, and a little danger will spice up the game.

It makes sense to us that non-combat oriented characters aren't going to be as good, no one seemed to mind that too much, though Mathus's shock gloves turned out to be useless - without a +1 success roll to add a damage, even against the gamorreans it didn't matter if he hit them - they have 3 soak so it didn't even touch their wounds. He did end up taking a dropped axe off the ground and hit one of the guards with it though, which was fun.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I got a chance to play the EoE starter scenario this weekend.

I went into the game with pretty low expectations, first because I've been disappointed with most Star Wars tabletop games and second because my GM is one of the most old-school by the rules nit-picky gently caress-the-players style GMs I've ever played with. I was pleasantly surprised on both counts.

The game felt very Star Warsy to me, I got to play a Wookie because WHY WOULD YOU PLAY ANYTHING ELSE? one guy played Vex the droid, and Pash the pilot rounded out our group. Each character had a distinct role (the wookie is an rear end-beater) and it felt like each of us had a chance to be the star of the show for a scene or two. I especially liked the space chase at the end as all three of us had an important role to play in the scene.

The crazy custom dice turned me off at first but once I got used to them they were easy to understand and actually fun to roll. Most surprisingly was that the success+advantage system brought out the best in my GM, he was very lose with the game making stuff up on the fly as the dice dictate advantages and disadvantages for us and our opponents it was such a huge change from our regular DnD experiences.

I felt it was a great introduction to a new game system, and would probably be a great introduction to role-playing for new players.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

FFG is releasing a Star Wars adventure for Free RPG Day! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4095

I hope the cover is better than that. Their 40K releases have been really good for FRD in the past.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
That's cool, free Star Wars poo poo on my bday! I'd have to go to my local game store which I usually try to avoid, but I think I can manage it for long enough to grab it and go.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

FFG is releasing a Star Wars adventure for Free RPG Day! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4095

I hope the cover is better than that.

What do you mean? It looks pretty consistent with the other releases for the game so far.

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
Anyone able to tell me the best way to set up the Roll 20 dice tables to work with Edge of the Empire?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

I hope the cover is better than that. Their 40K releases have been really good for FRD in the past.

They usually put these out as PDFs right?

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004

Prefect Six posted:

They usually put these out as PDFs right?

Would be great to know, I have zero interest in playing at a game shop but would %100 pick it up and run it as part of our campaign.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

alg posted:

The Han and Chewie thing? I hope you don't hate it too much because it's going to be on the cover of the core rulebook with a different background.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Oh no I just want something else for this little adventure since we've seen it for over a year.

They usually put the pdfs up after Free RPG Day.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I ran the beginners game today for my friends and it went super well overall which made me feel pretty good since I'm a pretty green GM. The biggest stumbling block was the space combat section at then end. I didn't read that section of the beginners rulebook ahead of time and I still don't quite get it. The range abstraction in regular combat is kind of weird to get used to but I didn't get it at all for space combat. I also had problems since I was running a 5 man party (who steamrolled most encounters but that was okay for this session) and so wasn't sure what to do with the fifth person. The pilot felt kind of useless too as it didn't seem like he had a lot of options.

Overall though we had a lot of fun and my friends want to do the Long Arm of the Hutt adventure soon.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

I ran the beginners game today for my friends and it went super well overall which made me feel pretty good since I'm a pretty green GM. The biggest stumbling block was the space combat section at then end. I didn't read that section of the beginners rulebook ahead of time and I still don't quite get it. The range abstraction in regular combat is kind of weird to get used to but I didn't get it at all for space combat. I also had problems since I was running a 5 man party (who steamrolled most encounters but that was okay for this session) and so wasn't sure what to do with the fifth person. The pilot felt kind of useless too as it didn't seem like he had a lot of options.

Overall though we had a lot of fun and my friends want to do the Long Arm of the Hutt adventure soon.

I'm curious what was confusing about the range bands in space combat? They function exactly the same as personal scale range bands except that they abstract much larger distances.

The important thing to remember about piloting and movement is that almost all personal-scale ship weapons are limited to Close. So that means if your pilot can put any distance whatsoever between himself and the other target, you can pretty much make yourself immune to harm. Flying in the dead of empty space does certainly make that less interesting, though.

Typically we let the pilot do any kind of 'stunting' that might be appropriate for the scene, which is especially rad in space combat. If nothing else the pilot can typically generate enough Advantage to make the Gunner and Enginners' jobs easier.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Has anyone ran Long Arm of the Hutt yet? I started reading through it today, and am hoping to start running it this weekend or next weekend. Just curious if there's anything I should keep in mind when running it. If there's any issues or whatever.

Mendrian posted:

I'm curious what was confusing about the range bands in space combat? They function exactly the same as personal scale range bands except that they abstract much larger distances.

The important thing to remember about piloting and movement is that almost all personal-scale ship weapons are limited to Close. So that means if your pilot can put any distance whatsoever between himself and the other target, you can pretty much make yourself immune to harm. Flying in the dead of empty space does certainly make that less interesting, though.

Typically we let the pilot do any kind of 'stunting' that might be appropriate for the scene, which is especially rad in space combat. If nothing else the pilot can typically generate enough Advantage to make the Gunner and Enginners' jobs easier.

You make a good point about movement, I think it's just kind of hard to visualize, and so run these encounters. At least it is for me.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So range band wonkiness:

The game has a weird quantum problem where you need to know where you're going to end up before you start moving. Which is weird.

At any given time a character can be at Short with one character, Medium with another and Long with a third. For purposes of this argument, let's assume all three of the distant characters are in a straight line away from the primary character, at increasing distances.

If our primary actor tries to move away how many maneuvers does it take? He's moving to Medium with regard to one character, but he's moving to Long and Extreme with regard to the other two. So what gives?

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
You're assuming that because he's changing range bands with respect to one guy, he's changing with respect to them all, but this doesn't have to be true. Look at each guy separately.

With one maneuver, the PC moves from short to medium range with respect to enemy A, but is still at medium and long with respect to enemies B and C respectively unless he uses another maneuver, which would put him halfway to long with respect to A. This also works out if they're not in a straight line.

If I'm circling one enemy while moving away from another, I change range bands with respect to the latter without affecting the former.

The range bands are not of equal length either, if that helps. The further range bands are larger, probably on a geometric scale.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Right but this gets especially frustrating when you have multiple PCs involved and a lot of enemies.

An example that actually came up in play: The reverse example. Three enemies (A, B, C) at Medium, Long, and Extreme range. I take a maneuver. Does my character need to take two maneuvers to close with enemy B?

I move to Close with enemy A, that's obvious. But is enemy B now at Medium with me, or is he half-way to medium? Enemy C is clearly halfway to long. Is that correct?

e: Further complication. Let's assume we have another PC at the original starting point. How does that work?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 6, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think you either need to use a grid and do it the old-fashioned way or go with whatever the GM says in the moment.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

homullus posted:

I think you either need to use a grid and do it the old-fashioned way or go with whatever the GM says in the moment.

Even using a grid doesn't clarify things because you have to figure out how everything moves relative to you every time any figure moves.

Like look at this. We have two PCs next to a table on a Freighter. A squad of Stormtroopers breaches the hull, and they're at Long range, at the end of a corridor. PC A takes two Maneuvers and ducks down into his bunk, moving to Extreme (with regards to the Stormtroopers). This means PC B is at Medium with regard to PC A, but Long with regard to our Stormtroopers.

If he wants to perform an inspiring speech (requiring Short range), he would take one Maneuver to be at Close with PC A. But wait! PC A had to take two Maneuvers to get to Extreme with regards to the Stormtroopers. So what the hell?

We could rule that PC A took one Manuver to go halfway to Extreme with regards to the Stormtroopers and to Medium with regards to PC B; then he takes a second Manuver putting him at Extreme with regards to the Stormtroopers and halfway to Long with regards to PC B. In this scenario, PC B spends one Manuver to go to Medium and then another to go halfway to Long, putting them in the same half-range band. But then the waveform collapes and they're both at Extreme with regards to the Stormtroopers.

I think this whole business of half-range bands is dumb and I think we should just be using Range bands to determine weapon distances.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mendrian posted:

Even using a grid doesn't clarify things because you have to figure out how everything moves relative to you every time any figure moves.

I don't think this is true, because you assign numbers of squares to the range bands, and likewise assign a movement maneuver to a number of squares. You will always be moving a set number of squares, and always be able to count squares to determine range.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

homullus posted:

I don't think this is true, because you assign numbers of squares to the range bands, and likewise assign a movement maneuver to a number of squares. You will always be moving a set number of squares, and always be able to count squares to determine range.

Except that moving from Medium to Long or Long to Extreme costs two maneuvers. And the only thing that determines that requirement is relative position to another figure.

So you have two choices: You can either introduce two new range bands (Medium.5 and Long.5) and just straight up count those when determining distance. Or you can drop the nonsense about moves to some squares requiring extra movement.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I think the key to understanding these range bands is to not get bogged down with specifics or think about it too much honestly. With your freighter example I see no reason why PC B can't take one maneuver to be in short range to PC A and stay in Long Range with the Stormtroopers. I also wouldn't fiddlefuck with half ranges unless the book says to keep that in mind (it might, I only have the book that came with the beginner name and haven't read it cover to cover). If next round PC B wants to then move into extreme range from the Stormtroopers and they haven't moved then I'd rule that he still needs to take 2 maneuvers to do so. It's all abstract, so there's nothing to say that each maneuver is actually moving you the same amount of distance, or that one range band is exactly proportional to another.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

I think the key to understanding these range bands is to not get bogged down with specifics or think about it too much honestly. With your freighter example I see no reason why PC B can't take one maneuver to be in short range to PC A and stay in Long Range with the Stormtroopers. I also wouldn't fiddlefuck with half ranges unless the book says to keep that in mind (it might, I only have the book that came with the beginner name and haven't read it cover to cover). If next round PC B wants to then move into extreme range from the Stormtroopers and they haven't moved then I'd rule that he still needs to take 2 maneuvers to do so. It's all abstract, so there's nothing to say that each maneuver is actually moving you the same amount of distance, or that one range band is exactly proportional to another.

It's a big deal when you basically need to take damage to take an extra move, though. The game can be extremely lethal and a lot hinges on what seems like a small difference.

I think I'd just say that Close-Medium is 1 square, Medium-Long is 2 squares, Long-Extreme is 2 squares, and everything else is basically Extreme.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Using half-range blocks doesn't quite work as RAW, because it changes things whether you're closing or retreating.

But here's the problem. You're thinking about it too hard. In your example:

Mendrian posted:

The reverse example. Three enemies (A, B, C) at Medium, Long, and Extreme range. I take a maneuver. Does my character need to take two maneuvers to close with enemy B?

I move to Close with enemy A, that's obvious. But is enemy B now at Medium with me, or is he half-way to medium? Enemy C is clearly halfway to long. Is that correct?

You're at long range of enemy B, so yes, it takes two maneuvers to get to Short range of enemy B. If they are in a line, you will be moving to Short with enemy A in the first maneuver, then back to medium in the opposite direction. You'll also end up at Long range of enemy C. Remember that an enemy in a line from you at Long and Extreme range from you are probably at about Medium to Long range from each other, since the range bands are geometric or exponential.

If you move to Short range of enemy A, you are still at Long range from enemy B because you've used one maneuver moving toward them. This makes sense if you again remember that Long range is a much wider band than Short or Medium.

Think of it this way. I'm in one endzone of a football field. I've got one enemy in Medium, Long, and Extreme like you say. In my understanding of range bands, that means Enemy A is at the 20 yard line, Enemy B is at least half the field away up to the other endzone, and Enemy C is somewhere in the stands beyond the endzone with a sniper rifle.

If I run up to the Enemy A, say the 10 yard line, Enemy B is still most of a football field away. He's still at long range. If I engage with Enemy A, depending on positioning, maybe Enemy B is now at Medium range (he was at the 50 yard line so now he's only 30 yards away), maybe he's still at Long (he was across the field so not much changed, I just moved within Short of A without changing much relative to B), it depends on our cinematic understanding of things.

If I take two maneuvers straight toward Enemy B, ignoring A, I've moved up to the 50 yard-line, and now I'm at Medium from enemy A and B, and the guy in the stands is now at Long, rather than Extreme.

Basically, I think you're thinking of the range bands a) too definitively and b) as the same size, which they aren't.

For the other example given:

Mendrian posted:

Like look at this. We have two PCs next to a table on a Freighter. A squad of Stormtroopers breaches the hull, and they're at Long range, at the end of a corridor. PC A takes two Maneuvers and ducks down into his bunk, moving to Extreme (with regards to the Stormtroopers). This means PC B is at Medium with regard to PC A, but Long with regard to our Stormtroopers.

If he wants to perform an inspiring speech (requiring Short range), he would take one Maneuver to be at Close with PC A. But wait! PC A had to take two Maneuvers to get to Extreme with regards to the Stormtroopers. So what the hell?

We could rule that PC A took one Manuver to go halfway to Extreme with regards to the Stormtroopers and to Medium with regards to PC B; then he takes a second Manuver putting him at Extreme with regards to the Stormtroopers and halfway to Long with regards to PC B. In this scenario, PC B spends one Manuver to go to Medium and then another to go halfway to Long, putting them in the same half-range band. But then the waveform collapes and they're both at Extreme with regards to the Stormtroopers.

First off, I don't think anywhere on a freighter is extreme distance from anywhere else. A freighter isn't that big. Extreme distance is so far away I can't hear you if you scream at me. The end of a corridor is probably only Medium range, not Long, since you can run down a corridor on a freighter in seconds. The only way you get Long range on a freighter is if there's a hallway going from the cockpit at the front all the way back to engineering. On something like the Falcon, there's no line-of-sight that is long range.

I would say it is far more likely that the PCs were engaged with each other, since if you're both sitting at the same table you can probably reach them if you try, or at least with a lunge. Lets say that you're on a really long ship with a long center hall so you're still at Long from the troopers. Player A runs away into his bunk. It costs one maneuver since he's just moving around within Long range, to a place with no LOS.

But let's put them on a frigate instead so we can play with ranges more. Player A gets up and flees down the corridor from the stormtroopers, moving down the hall in a straight line away from his pal and the troopers. He's now at Extreme from the stormtroopers. Two maneuvers away from his pal would leave him at Medium range, halfway to Long. PC B spends one maneuver to get to Short of PC A. He's still at Long from the stormtroopers. This isn't a quandary, because he didn't move as far as his friend did, he just moved to halfway between their previous location and his friend's new location, so that his buddy could hear him. He didn't get further on the same buck. Close/Short with PC A doesn't mean he's just as far from the stormtroopers, it means he's not as far from PC A as he was before he moved.

Toward your second paragraph, PC B doesn't need to spend two maneuvers to get within Short of PC A. He's only ever at Medium range from PC A, so he just moves once and is within Short. If he wants to be engaged, he spends another maneuver to become engaged with PC A and at Extreme from the stormtroopers, so he moved exactly as far in the same number of maneuvers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mendrian posted:

Except that moving from Medium to Long or Long to Extreme costs two maneuvers. And the only thing that determines that requirement is relative position to another figure.

So you have two choices: You can either introduce two new range bands (Medium.5 and Long.5) and just straight up count those when determining distance. Or you can drop the nonsense about moves to some squares requiring extra movement.

You're right! Going to squares and maneuver = 5 squares requires one of those two.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

For clarity:

Its not a flat progression.

Its not:

Close: up to 15 yards,
Medium: up to 30 yards,
Long: up to 45 yards,
Extreme: beyond 45 yards.

Its more like:

Close: up to 15 yards
Medium: up to 50 yards
Long: up to 150 yards
Extreme: beyond 150 yards

Close is someone in the same room or small apartment. Close is the guy at the other end of the bar.

Medium is someone in a different room of a large house or standing out on the street looking through your window across your yard. Medium is the security guard watching you from a nearby but different department at Sears. You can definitely hear him when he raises his voice just enough to project and says, "Excuse me sir, can you come over here, please?" Medium is the pitcher throwing the ball from the mound at the catcher at home base during practice.

Long is the backyard of the house across the street while you're in your living room or kids playing a bit down the street that you have to holler at the top of your voice to get them to come in. Long is the helicopter shining a searchlight down into your backyard looking for the guys who just knocked over the convenience store. Long is the politician speaking over a megaphone up on the stage while you're stuck at the back of the crowd.

Extreme is the pilot of the 747 that's coming in for a landing at the airport you live nearby when it screams by what feels like just overhead or the kids playing baseball in the park you can see out your back window down the hill and across the highway and all you can hear of them is a soft, far off crack when one of them hits a home-run and that only because there's no traffic right now. Extreme is when you're hiking a mountain trail and you can see another group moving along the next peak half-an-hour ahead of you on the trail, but only a few minutes as the bird flies. Extreme is the SWAT sniper on top of the 6 story building across the street and the huge empty parking lot of the Walmart who can only hit anything at all because of highly advanced equipment and loads of training.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 6, 2013

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Oh, the other note I wanted to make is that if your combats are too complex for your to keep track of distances in your head, they're probably too complex to be interesting in a cinematic way. Remember that this is not a tactical game, its a cinematic narrative one. If you can't keep track of this stuff in your head, its probably too complex to get a good movie playing in your head about it.

You don't need 6 different enemies at various ranges and dispositions from the group. If the PCs are surrounded, say, "There are 6 guys surrounding you. They're all at medium range with weapons leveled at you. If you move toward any of them, you'll be at Short range with that half the circle and still at medium with the other half. You can only get to Long range with anyone if you break out of the ring.'

If this is the Expendables and there's two groups of PCs fighting two groups of enemies, "Your friendlies are at Medium range from you taking cover behind the stack of crates over there. The guys you're fighting are closing from behind and are at medium range from you as they run in through the gates you blew open. They're at Long from your friends. The guys they're dealing with are at long range from both groups of PCs, since they're at the gun emplacement that watches over the yard." Since you drew a picture of the yard so the PCs could plan their attack, you know that the gate is on one wall and the gun emplacement is on the wall 90 degrees from it, the PCs are at two spots in the rough middle of the rectangle at two different crate piles.

Finally, if you're chasing the boss but his goons are getting in the way, "You burst into the cargo hangar. To your left and right are groups of thugs, each group at medium distance from your group and from each other in a triangle. The boss is at Long range running away in a straight line between the two groups of thugs. If you maneuver to Close with either thug group, you're still at Long with the boss. If you engage some thugs, you're at Medium with the boss, but you'll have to finish or disengage with the thugs to chase him again. If you chase after the boss, you can get to Medium with him in two maneuvers, but you end up Close to both groups of thugs since you have to run right between the two groups."

This sets up a hard choice. But wait, shouldn't you be at Medium from the groups of thugs if you take option 3, since you'll have used two maneuvers? It could be rules that way if you've got a nice GM, but you weren't moving directly to and through either group. You're running along the hypotenuse of each right triangle since you're taking the shortest route to the boss. You can't move the shortest route possible in regards to all three. The PC picks which guy he's moving towards and gets the benefits of his maneuvers per RAW in regards to that target, but positioning allows the GM to have some leeway in interpreting what that means for all the other dudes without breaking reality.

code:
         B
        / \
       /   \
      /     \
     /   o   \
    /         \
   T - - - - - T
    \    x    /
     x       x
      \     /
       \   /
         P
Visualization of situation 3: Caps are starting positions, xs are where PCs can get with 1 maneuver, o is where they can get with two straight up the middle. All starting ranges except the long axis of the diamond are Medium. o gets the PCs to Medium from the boss, just outside of Close with him, but its not really any further from the thugs than they were with one maneuver, just slightly on the other side.

edit: If there were no thugs at one of the positions, you could still close to medium with the boss while staying at medium from the other thugs, giving you a defensive advantage, but since there's thugs there, you end up engaged. You have to disengage before you can continue chase. its the equivalent of having to take a 5-foot step away to avoid an AoO in D&D, only you don't have the choice not to in this game since there's no AoO. You either fight or waste a maneuver getting away safely. A good option might be for some PCs to hang back and take out one group of thugs so other PCs can then use the safer route just as quickly as the dangerous one, but that splits up the group a bit, so its still interesting cinematically and gives the players interesting choices to make.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 6, 2013

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
I think Lunatic did a really solid job of outlining how ranges work.

I'm in agreement that it really shouldn't be too complicated, and if it is you need to simplify it more. Have less enemies or group them into minion groups, or think carefully about where the fight will take place beforehand.

When my group ran the Escape From Mos Shuuta campaign, they fought the stormtroopers around a well/water tower and were firing at long range, engaging hand to hand, blowing the water tower up and escaping to short range...the range bands never really seemed to be an issue, and I had some complete RPG newbies playing.

The most that will happen is the occasional clarifying question, like 'so am I at medium range to him now?'.

It's not ideal, but it's still better than a completely vague system and allows for a difference between the various weapon types rather than just how much damage it can do.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't think of an image so I Googled "Overload"
After touring a few different systems, my group has finally settled on Star Wars: Edge of the Empire as the system for our next long-term campaign. It won out over Fate (tried both Core and Atomic Robo) as well as World of Darkness (which I now assume serves as a lot of inspiration for the EotE mechanics)

I'm excited because I loved the Beginner set! However, we'll be reskinning the whole thing to our own modern arcana setting.

I had to call around to a bunch of FLGSs to find someone who had the Beta rules in stock, as we're starting this Thursday and sadly couldn't wait the weeks until we'll have the full rules. Hopefully there will be a nice summary of the changes between the beta and the full rules posted after it comes out.

I'm happy to see that the Beta rules have a lot better explanations of mechanics than the beginner box did, which was full of missing information for how to handle corner cases.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

OverloadUT posted:

I'm happy to see that the Beta rules have a lot better explanations of mechanics than the beginner box did, which was full of missing information for how to handle corner cases.

The core book should be out at the beginning of the year April second quarter July Gen Con. And from what I understand play testing improved some of the rules from the beta. This is one of the few RPGs I've been actively looking forward to in the last year.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

gently caress, they delayed it again? FFG! :argh:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Meepo posted:

gently caress, they delayed it again? FFG! :argh:

I haven't heard news of another official delay. Officially it's still July, and if they actually show up in July I'll be as shocked and delighted as the rest of us, but I've seen this pattern before. I would not be surprised if the story at GenCon is "We air shipped a small amount of the books so we could have them here at the show. We won't start selling them 'till noon, and will be sold out at 12:05." and then the books show up everywhere else the following week.

This is me being cynical, but this is also me watching them do this sort of thing for a few GenCons now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

OverloadUT posted:

However, we'll be reskinning the whole thing to our own modern arcana setting.

I'd be curious to hear how this works out once you get to playing it. I like WFRP, but it wouldn't translate very well to a modern setting.

OverloadUT
Sep 11, 2001

I couldn't think of an image so I Googled "Overload"

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd be curious to hear how this works out once you get to playing it. I like WFRP, but it wouldn't translate very well to a modern setting.

I'm expecting it to be pretty seamless - the modern world still has guns and driving and piloting and hacking, and I'm hoping that the Force rules will serve as a good base for the magic element I want to have in the world.

Even the races are simply a set of starting stats with the occasional interesting unique perk, which we're going to allow players to take if they want even if they're just human with, say, wookie-style berserker rage.

And we'll be livestreaming the first session tonight if you want to watch /shill

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm becoming increasing grateful for Cool Stuff Inc splitting my giant order of stuff. Is Fantasy Flight always this bad about release dates? I've heard the jokes, but I thought they were "days or weeks" late, not months.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

jivjov posted:

I'm becoming increasing grateful for Cool Stuff Inc splitting my giant order of stuff. Is Fantasy Flight always this bad about release dates? I've heard the jokes, but I thought they were "days or weeks" late, not months.

Fantasy Flight release dates are universally a joke, the big box expansion for the Star Wars LCG is coming out like 2 months late and the smaller ones are running behind as well.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Enjoy Free RPG Day, Goons :guinness:

One question I have looking through my beginner game / beta / Shadows of a Black Sun, is there any way for a player to dodge? Or is hitting based on rolling your own skill like in the 40k RPGs and not the defender's ability?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's the latter case, although you can alter the difficulty and/or add Setback dice through the use of various Talents in additin to in-combat maneuvers such as taking cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My FLGS got a box of leftover crap from last year for Free RPG Day. Is there any chance of the free Edge of the Empire adventure being available anytime else?

• Locked thread